[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

4 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

After reading this thread (searched on "swap") and the wiki, I still don't know what resources are required to swap a drill head.  My engineer is standing right next to an MEU-100A.  Right click just says deploy or disassemble.  I'm guessing I need some kind of resource, but have no idea what it/they would be...  if this is written down somewhere, please point me at it.  Bleeding Edge.

Found this...  is there any documentation on this sort of thing or is the cfg the way to go?

MODULE
    {
        name = USI_SwapController
        typeName = Separator
        ResourceCosts = SpecializedParts,1,MaterialKits,5,ElectricCharge,5       

You need an engineer (I think at least level 1) outside to swap. In this case you need 1 specializedpart, 5 Material Kits and 5 Electric charge on the vessel. 

18 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Okay, I'll try that this weekend. 

I think one of the issues is that windows doesn't want me to have duplicate files.

When handling mods, you want to be careful about removing all files for the old version of the mod before installing the new version, or else you will usually run into problems.

If you are installing mods and you get *any* notifications of a file already existing(except Module Manager which is a common file to many mods), then you have messed up and will probably have issues until you go back and completely clean out and re-install the affected mods.

If you frequently ran into 'file already exists' messages when installing mods in the past, you may need to start with a fresh KSP install to get rid of all of the problems.  (save files are easy to copy over)

Note: Even with module manager, you want to make sure you only have one instance of the file/mod, usually the latest version.

24 minutes ago, Terwin said:

When handling mods, you want to be careful about removing all files for the old version of the mod before installing the new version, or else you will usually run into problems.

If you are installing mods and you get *any* notifications of a file already existing(except Module Manager which is a common file to many mods), then you have messed up and will probably have issues until you go back and completely clean out and re-install the affected mods.

If you frequently ran into 'file already exists' messages when installing mods in the past, you may need to start with a fresh KSP install to get rid of all of the problems.  (save files are easy to copy over)

Note: Even with module manager, you want to make sure you only have one instance of the file/mod, usually the latest version.

How can I do a fresh install using steam?

6 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

How can I do a fresh install using steam?

While this *should* be less of an issue now that we may have the final version o KSP 1, it has generally been considered unwise to install mods onto the steam install directory.  

KSP does not have any copy protection, so you can just copy your steam KSP directory to a different location and use that for your working directory(presumably leaving the steam version unmodded).

My un-modded 1.12 KSP install only has 2 directories in the GameData folder: "Squad" and "SquadExpansion"  

You should be able to remove all installed mods by removing everything else from your GameData folder.  (Note: I have both DLCs installed, so you may not have a SquadExpansion folder if you do not)

But that will hopefully not be needed if you just remove and reinstall the mods giving you problems(usually by deleting one or more directories then copying a fresh version of the directory from the mod zip file)

If installing USI mods individually, be aware that they are mostly installed under the GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries folder (like GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS or GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport), so do not delete this parent directory when uninstalling one of these mods unless you intend to remove all currently installed USI mods.

1 minute ago, Terwin said:

While this *should* be less of an issue now that we may have the final version o KSP 1, it has generally been considered unwise to install mods onto the steam install directory.  

KSP does not have any copy protection, so you can just copy your steam KSP directory to a different location and use that for your working directory(presumably leaving the steam version unmodded).

My un-modded 1.12 KSP install only has 2 directories in the GameData folder: "Squad" and "SquadExpansion"  

You should be able to remove all installed mods by removing everything else from your GameData folder.  (Note: I have both DLCs installed, so you may not have a SquadExpansion folder if you do not)

But that will hopefully not be needed if you just remove and reinstall the mods giving you problems(usually by deleting one or more directories then copying a fresh version of the directory from the mod zip file)

If installing USI mods individually, be aware that they are mostly installed under the GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries folder (like GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS or GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport), so do not delete this parent directory when uninstalling one of these mods unless you intend to remove all currently installed USI mods.

That's probably my issue, I think I butchered the directory of the USI Mods.

18 hours ago, J3ansley said:

You need an engineer (I think at least level 1) outside to swap. In this case you need 1 specializedpart, 5 Material Kits and 5 Electric charge on the vessel. 

10-4.  Brought in MK and SP -- warehoused just fine and swapped drill heads.  It still says "mining dirt" but my Karbonite is cranking away...  wondering if I can put a little something in the Wiki that might help the next person who comes across this. 

@RoverDude  I found something which might be out of whack?  Agroponics >> cultivate(S) for the Ranger ag module.  Doesn't seem that EZ mode should be OP like this? 

resource rate conversion daily
MULCH 0.00507 21600 109.512
FERTILIZER 0.000507 21600 10.9512
SUPPLIES 0.005577 21600 120.4632

SUBSTRATE 0.01006 21600 217.296
WATER 0.01006 21600 217.296
FERTILIZER 0.0001006 21600 2.17296
SUPPLIES 0.001006 21600 21.7296

Adding a zero to Supplies seems to bring this into line with something that makes a little more sense?  (Maybe you meant agroponics to be super EZ mode, I dunno')

MULCH 0.00507 21600 109.512
FERTILIZER 0.000507 21600 10.9512
SUPPLIES 0.0005577 21600 12.04632

But it's supposed to be 10+1==11, so the new numbers don't line up.  Working on it -- but wanted to raise the flag here in case it's an issue.

How does this look?

MULCH 0.000507 21600 10.9512
FERTILIZER 0.0000507 21600 1.09512
SUPPLIES 0.0005577 21600 12.04632

7 hours ago, mjl1966 said:

Need instructions sir.  I am Github ignorant.  (PR looks like the way to go, but I honestly have zero clue...)

No, PR is for submitting new code while Issues are for discussing problems / suggesting improvements. Go here then click on "New Issue" on the right (need to be logged in first).

Maybe I'm wrong?  After finding the Ranger agroponics OP, I'm seeing the same thing with Duna Ag.  Agroponics gives us ~30 supplies per day, but cultivate using fertilizer, water and substrates only produces 5.86.  I was under the impression that agriculture was more "advanced" and thus should produce more supplies than agroponics.  But seeing that two parts now have agro as the king of supplies, maybe I'm misunderstanding the intent here.  Gotta' say, though, way easier to farm with mulch and fertilizer than substrates, fertilizer and water.   

Duna agroponics: 30.89 supplies/day (almost three Kerbals) 
Duna cultivate: 5.86 supplies per day. (Half a Kerbal)

Cultivate also uses more EC -- so economically speaking, there is no reason to ever use it... unless I'm missing something.  Maybe the ratio between substrates for cultivation vs manufacturing fertilizer. 

Thoughts?

Okay I'm not playing MKS until the full release and have never played, but I checked the wiki, and there is an article that states the design. It hasn't been updated since 2018, so take this with a grain of salt.

Agroponics is used for recycling mulch while cultivation is used for generating more supplies. Agroponics produces way more supplies yes, but only by recycling pre-existing supplies. The resources they consume and the purpose they serve are quite different. It's not a closed loop either, you need resource extraction for fertilizer to restore lost nutrients for supplies. You also can't use agroponics to raise your net supplies above the starting amount without bringing in more mulch or supplies.

Edited by LudificorPayne

6 hours ago, LudificorPayne said:

You also can't use agroponics to raise your net supplies above the starting amount without bringing in more mulch or supplies.

Agriponics takes 10 mulch+1 fertilizer to produce 11 supplies, so you will slowly accumulate more supplies/mulch as you convert your fertilizer, but only if you have kerbals in the loop. 

Nuclear rockets - what's the point?

Math doesn't lie:

Vestra Vr-1 + 275/225 LFO/Ox = 3975 dV in vacuum. (M0 =3.5kg)
Lantern + 25000 LH2 = 3844 dV in vacuum. (M0=5kg)

Even though I see the Lantern has a whopping 915 ISP in vaccuum, the corresponding dV isn't any better.

This is my first time looking at nuclear ever -- but math from dV calc in game says chemical>nuclear.  This can't be right.

52 minutes ago, mjl1966 said:

Nuclear rockets - what's the point?

Math doesn't lie:

Vestra Vr-1 + 275/225 LFO/Ox = 3975 dV in vacuum. (M0 =3.5kg)
Lantern + 25000 LH2 = 3844 dV in vacuum. (M0=5kg)

Even though I see the Lantern has a whopping 915 ISP in vaccuum, the corresponding dV isn't any better.

This is my first time looking at nuclear ever -- but math from dV calc in game says chemical>nuclear.  This can't be right.

Generally speaking, nuclear is 'heavy but efficient'.

As such, nuclear does not make sense if your payload is light, as most of the dry-mass is engine.

It also does not make sense if your dV needs are small, as you are pushing around a heavy engine that is not really needed.

Nuclear really shines when moving heavy loads a long distance.  If the load is large, then the additional mass of the engine is not a big deal and the higher efficiency engine saves large amounts of fuel for the large mass. 

Looking at existing missions, you will not find many that would benefit from a nuclear engine, because they were optimized for the trade-offs of a chemical engine.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, Terwin said:

Generally speaking, nuclear is 'heavy but efficient'.

As such, nuclear does not make sense if your payload is light, as most of the dry-mass is engine.

It also does not make sense if your dV needs are small, as you are pushing around a heavy engine that is not really needed.

Nuclear really shines when moving heavy loads a long distance.  If the load is large, then the additional mass of the engine is not a big deal and the higher efficiency engine saves large amounts of fuel for the large mass. 

Looking at existing missions, you will not find many that would benefit from a nuclear engine, because they were optimized for the trade-offs of a chemical engine.

Thanks!  I'll take a look at Silent Running loads and see what I come up with... very interesting.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:52 PM, DoktorKrogg said:

a more complex discussion probably better had over on Discord than here on the forums. Feel free to drop a question in the #dev-talk channel on the USI Discord server if you want a more in-depth explanation of what all we've changed recently and why. :)

Unless I've missed something incredibly obvious you might want to link the discord in the OP. It took some google-fu to find a link on a forum post somewhere.

Ehm, this mod drives me crazy.

Please, can anybody help me ?

I have an orbital station with Orbital workshop module (manned with 6 Engineers) and Orbital Assembly Space module, Also, there is plenty of MaterialKits and SpecialParts on this orbital station.

How I can start the manufacturing of DYI Containers at this station ?

I watched those videos:

and I somehow supposed that the orbital workshop and assembly space will be more or less the same.  :(

Thx for any help

a quick question @RoverDude and/or @DoktorKrogg -

1. What is the design idea behind the Atlas harvesters?    One is automated, and the other says crewed, but the latter has no capacity for crew.

Other than the title name, there appears no difference in what they do.    I would imagine the crewed one should operate more efficiently, but since you can't get crew on it, it does nothing special.

Finishing up on my project - :)  should be able to upload real soon (tm) now...