[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

9 hours ago, Darkherring said:

Does your refiner have kontainer for the refined goods?

What does it say when your click on the refiner? Missing ore? Or something else?

The refiner has suitable containers, nothing is showing up in them and the Convert-O-Tron is saying it has no ore.

12 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Vessel #1:  Mining vessel.  What is of interest is the Kontainer with 3900 units of ore and increasing.  Planetary warehouse on , local warehouse on, pump is on, level 16.  There is a Duna logistics module on it with a level 5 engineer.

Vessel #2, parked maybe 20m away:  Refining vessel.  It has a Kontainer set to ore, planetary warehouse on, local warehouse on, pump is on, level 0.  There is a Duna pioneer module on it with a level 5 engineer.

I thought I understood how some of this stuff works, but apparently I have no idea what 'pump level' is in this context...

Meanwhile, is the source container 50%+ full yet?  Or perhaps try putting a pilot / quartermaster in the pioneer module?  (I'm not sure if they're required for scavenging, just throwing around ideas...)

2 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I thought I understood how some of this stuff works, but apparently I have no idea what 'pump level' is in this context...

Meanwhile, is the source container 50%+ full yet?  Or perhaps try putting a pilot / quartermaster in the pioneer module?  (I'm not sure if they're required for scavenging, just throwing around ideas...)

It might be from another mod.  Stuff moves from tanks with a high number to tanks with a low number.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It might be from another mod.  Stuff moves from tanks with a high number to tanks with a low number.

Ah, I see. I do know of fuel priority in Advanced Tweakables that doesn't *seem* to interact with Logistics at all, although in a couple of cases I'd rather like it to...  (Orbital transfer of Enriched Uranium?  Sure, I'll just pull it out of the reactor core instead of the nearby fuel drum... :( )

@RoverDude I'm currently adding a Plutonium -238 generator to a part and confused about the module.

You have mentioned in the USILS thread that ModuleResourceConverter_USI is replaced by USI_ConverterSwapOption.

What about the USI_Converter ? Do we need to make the transition to this one too or did i misunderstand something?

Edited by Esendis

Hey @RoverDude

I would like your advice.  I am playing with MKS and the OPM mod and would like a mod that adds better engines and some neat tech toys to help push larger MKS payloads to the OPM planets..  So there is more progression.

Would you recommend Interstellar or Near future?  With compatibility with MKS in mind.  Or is there a different option?

11 minutes ago, Infleto said:

Hey @RoverDude

I would like your advice.  I am playing with MKS and the OPM mod and would like a mod that adds better engines and some neat tech toys to help push larger MKS payloads to the OPM planets..  So there is more progression.

Would you recommend Interstellar or Near future?  With compatibility with MKS in mind.  Or is there a different option?

Roverdude also has another mod Freight Transportation Technologies

3 hours ago, alien_wind said:

are there mks parts that are missing iva?(maybe orca,training academy,medical bay)

Yes. A great many of the MKS parts don't have IVAs, as they can take a lot of time to build.  Rather then spend time on them, RD concentrates on adding new parts and functionality in is limited free time.

2 hours ago, mcortez said:

Yes. A great many of the MKS parts don't have IVAs, as they can take a lot of time to build.  Rather then spend time on them, RD concentrates on adding new parts and functionality in is limited free time.

I'm not complaining.

I was just figuring out if black windows instead of kerbal icons is expected behaviour

On 2/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

Why hire Kerbals?  They'll pay to join you via rescue contracts.

Generally I disable the expanded roster types for rescues, but I will still hire kolonists for populating the excess capacity of my bases to boost both kolonization rewards and ratings for those bodies.

As far as I can tell, more stars do not help kolonists in any way, so most of them being at 1-2 stars is hardly a problem.

1 hour ago, Drakomis said:

Are there any pictures explaining how to construct the Orca command module?

The Orca is a part from USI Freight Transport Technologies, not MKS.

(this is an FAQ, there should be a note in the OP or something)

On 3/3/2019 at 6:22 AM, Esendis said:

@RoverDude I'm currently adding a Plutonium -238 generator to a part and confused about the module.

You have mentioned in the USILS thread that ModuleResourceConverter_USI is replaced by USI_ConverterSwapOption.

What about the USI_Converter ? Do we need to make the transition to this one too or did i misunderstand something?

USI_Converter is the replacement for ModuleResourceConverter_USI. USI_SwapController, USI_SwappableBay and USI_ConverterSwapOption are only required on parts that need the ability to swap between multiple recipes. That said, if all you're doing is adding a generator, there is no need to make the part dependent on USITools. Just use the stock ModuleResourceConverter that's built into KSP.

EDIT: It looks some parts consume machinery, others colony supplies, etc. Is this explained anywhere? I'm trying to write a compatibility CFG for SSPXR. Also, is the default hitchhiker pod being given a multiplier, but not consumption deliberate?

Edited by dlrk

18 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

USI_Converter is the replacement for ModuleResourceConverter_USI. USI_SwapController, USI_SwappableBay and USI_ConverterSwapOption are only required on parts that need the ability to swap between multiple recipes. That said, if all you're doing is adding a generator, there is no need to make the part dependent on USITools. Just use the stock ModuleResourceConverter that's built into KSP.

Thank you for the clarification.

17 hours ago, dlrk said:

EDIT: It looks some parts consume machinery, others colony supplies, etc. Is this explained anywhere? I'm trying to write a compatibility CFG for SSPXR. Also, is the default hitchhiker pod being given a multiplier, but not consumption deliberate?

This is the MKS thread - I assume this is about USI-LS? Inflatable habitation parts consume Machinery, fixed ones do not (quite why this is so I've never been certain). Colonisation modules and medbays consume C-Sup, as they work differently to standard habitation parts.

Edited by voicey99

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

This is the MKS thread - I assume this is about USI-LS? Inflatable habitation parts consume Machinery, fixed ones do not (quite why this is so I've never been certain). Colonisation modules and medbays consume C-Sup, as they work differently to standard habitation parts.

No, machinery and C-Sup is an MKS thing. I was just curious why MKS didn't add consumption to the Hitchhiker, but if only inflatables consume, that explains it.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:58 PM, dlrk said:

I have a document currently on my desktop titled 'MKS Part Config Discrepancy Notes'. So yeah, there are some discrepancies. I suspect that it's just due to the fact that the USI suite has been around for a quite a while now and has had many additions and changes along the way. There are a lot of parts spread across the various mods in the USI collection and keeping them all in sync with each other in terms of balance and design intent isn't easy. So if something seems like a discrepancy to you, you probably aren't crazy.

This is my unofficial guide for how to add USI compatibility to another mod:

• MKS and USI-LS are meant to be complimentary but work independently from one another. To reiterate what @voicey99 already pointed out: Machinery consumption and Kolonization bonuses are MKS concepts, ColonySupplies, Habitation and Supplies are USI-LS concepts. So if you want a part to do both MKS things and USI-LS things, you should make separate Module Manager patches for them.1
    • Machinery is meant to simulate wear and tear on equipment.
    • I think of Kolonization bonuses as simulating the idea that as a colony grows, your colonists become more specialized in their jobs and thus better at them vs. a small colony where everyone is a jack of all trades.
    • Habitation is meant to simulate the effects of being cooped up in a small space for too long and also being away from home and friends for too long.
    • Supplies are the consumables that a Kerbal needs to stay alive.
    • ColonySupplies are the consumables that a Kerbal needs to distract them from being in cramped quarters and away from home.
  • I would suggest using the Tundra parts in MKS as the 'gold standard' in terms of how a part is supposed to be configured.
  • There is a spreadsheet floating around somewhere that is setup to be a balance calculator for USI-compatible parts (sorry I don't know the link off the top of my head... it might be linked in the wiki or on the forums somewhere though).
  • If you run across a part in SSPXR that doesn't really have an analog in any of the USI mods and you aren't sure how it should be setup, just ask. It will be easier for us to offer guidance on a part-by-part basis than to try to write up a comprehensive design and balance guide for everything USI.

---

1. If we want to really get into the weeds, the consumption of Machinery and ColonySupplies are not due to any kind of built-in mechanism in either MKS or USI-LS. They are simply recipe ingredients for a converter just like Ore is an ingredient in the LFO recipe. These resources are part of the Community Resource Pack and any mod is free to use these resources in any way that it wants. So we follow a convention in MKS to add Machinery to any recipe that will be processed by a converter that we want to simulate wear and tear on. The wear and tear effect (decreased efficiency) is applied by the converter itself. Likewise with ColonySupplies, the convention in USI-LS is to use ColonySupplies as a recipe ingredient for converters that will affect Habitation timers. The Hab timer effect is applied by the converter in this case as well. Consequently, these converter side effects are the reason that most USI parts use the USI_Converter PartModule instead of the stock ModuleResourceConverter.