[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

If the AC code is conflict-free, would it be possible to completely remove the MKS professions from the AC and shift the hiring process for kolonists entirely to the KD? This would declutter the applicants list, but might confuse new users who don't know how to read the forums or kspedia.

15 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

If the AC code is conflict-free, would it be possible to completely remove the MKS professions from the AC and shift the hiring process for kolonists entirely to the KD? This would declutter the applicants list, but might confuse new users who don't know how to read the forums or kspedia.

If they could install the mod, they're definitely smart enough to read the guides :)

Still, hiring costs need to be synchronized between the AC and KD somehow.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

If they could install the mod, they're definitely smart enough to read the guides :)

I have that on record now. Expect to be quoted whenever someone asks a question, the answer to which is just a few easy clicks away :wink:

Regardless, the applicants list needs decluttering at the least. Kolonists should always be hired through the KD to avoid the towering AC hiring costs, so there is little point to them gumming up the applicants list when nobody who bothers to compare costs ever hires them from there.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

I have that on record now. Expect to be quoted whenever someone asks a question, the answer to which is just a few easy clicks away 

...I've just realized that CKAN exists. Yeah, that statement was a bit too rash...

In the past, my standard early-career budget space program method has been to fill up with Pilots, Scientists and Engineers by running rescue missions. Unfortunately I now get mostly the new kerbal professions from rescue missions too.

Hi guys. I am posting here instead of the exploration thread in hopes of getting a reply.

My issue: the micro ducted fan (as well as other Intake ATM engines like the Karbonite ones) are not working due to showing as deprived of resource "intakeAtm".

I have tried reinstalling a bunch of things, including firespitter and the community resource pack. Nothing has worked so far.

I even tried adding my own IntakeATM config to the community resource pack. No luck.

Perhaps if someone could explain a little more how "IntakeATM" works it might be helpful. For example, how is it supposed to show up in Kerbins atmosphere? Where is this detailed? What is the mechanism? Is it in the community resource pack?

Thanks for any help.

24 minutes ago, Remi said:

Hi guys. I am posting here instead of the exploration thread in hopes of getting a reply.

My issue: the micro ducted fan (as well as other Intake ATM engines like the Karbonite ones) are not working due to showing as deprived of resource "intakeAtm".

I have tried reinstalling a bunch of things, including firespitter and the community resource pack. Nothing has worked so far.

I even tried adding my own IntakeATM config to the community resource pack. No luck.

Perhaps if someone could explain a little more how "IntakeATM" works it might be helpful. For example, how is it supposed to show up in Kerbins atmosphere? Where is this detailed? What is the mechanism? Is it in the community resource pack?

Thanks for any help.

IntakeATM is air. I think it's governed by stock mechanics, not CRP, since the stock jet engines work the same way.

Do stock jets work for you? Can you post a screenshot of the rightclick menu for the fan, in (attempted) operation on the launchpad/runway?

11 minutes ago, Remi said:

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, i did see your post but didn't know the answer, I've never used Exploration Pack. But let's see what we can work out.

So IntakeATM is a CRP resource. It is a hidden resource so you shouldn't see this in your resource panel.

The ducted fan collects IntakeATM and uses IntakeATM. So there should be no issues with part choice. 

I've taken a look at CRP and there is no ResourceConfig for intakeAtm. So my guess (with my very limited knowledge of CRP) that intakeAtm is that there is simple no intakeAtm present on any body.

So try adding this config file, named intakeATM.cfg into GameData/CommunityResourcePack/ResourceConfigs/ If this works let me know and i'll put in a PR to fix.

PLANETARY_RESOURCE
{
	ResourceName = intakeATM
	ResourceType = 2
	PlanetName = Kerbin

Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 100
		MinAbundance = 20
		MaxAbundance = 30
		Variance = 0
	}

2 minutes ago, zabieru said:

IntakeATM is air. I think it's governed by stock mechanics, not CRP, since the stock jet engines work the same way.

Do stock jets work for you? Can you post a screenshot of the rightclick menu for the fan, in (attempted) operation on the launchpad/runway?

Stock uses  IntakeAir not intakeATM

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

More thread catchup :)

I've seen a lot of orbital stations using the ground (Ranger) parts.  Curious why folks do that vs. using the newer Tundra inflatables...

I've no idea, i personally use the Tundra inflatables. I love the hab ring, it's my favourite.

@dboi88- the Osprey (my Eagle clone) will have swappable pods.  Tho day one it will probably just be the Ground Construction workshop.

Awesome! I'll wait for the dust to settle on the releases and then get KSPedia entries split up and spread around the appropriate releases for the new construction stuff. I'll get you a PR for all the new profession and active resource harvesting stuff some time on Saturday.

@WuphonsReach - Log a github issue if you want more nodes, or if @dboi88 can do a PR, all the better

I'll try and sort this tonight.

@DStaal - RE the mini hab, sure.  It should really have a new texture (logging a github issue will help me not forget!)

Do you know how many times i've looked at the mini hab and said 'hmm i'm sure that's not the stats i remember' I've NEVER noticed there was two of them :D

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@DStaal - RE the mini hab, sure.  It should really have a new texture (logging a github issue will help me not forget!)

4 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Do you know how many times i've looked at the mini hab and said 'hmm i'm sure that's not the stats i remember' I've NEVER noticed there was two of them :D

I actually thought that the mini hab was a replacement for the emergency shelter, and that the latter was going to be deprecated. I'm not sure WHY I thought that, since nobody said that would be the case, but somehow that's what I'd convinced myself.

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

if you are still having issues and have not done so already, a Github issue with a save is what I need to sort stuff like this.

@RoverDude, thanks, much appreciated...I have recently figured out a workaround and I may be the only one with this configuration because I have not seen others report it, so there is no impact at the moment and probably not a priority to the community. I'll put in a Github as a problem statement first and work on a simple save to show the issue.

Thanks

1 hour ago, blakemw said:

I get the impression that the kolony rewards are a bit too generous, especially funds. Do the rewards scale with difficulty? I'm playing hard career, so if the rewards aren't reduced proportionately it might be why it looks too profitable.

I think how it works is that the rewards you get are based on the number of kerbals of each type in your base, each kerbal will contribute to the science (ScienceBoost), funds (FundsBoost) or reputation (RepBoost) generation depending on their profession-as laid out in the Dashboard-and skill (for funds and sci). This means that the rewards scale with the population of your base (so larger bases earn more) and the experience of its crew. The multipliers for each reward do not scale with the game difficulty setting, but they can be changed (globally) in settings.cfg-I'm not sure whether the stock rep/funds/sci rewards sliders affect MKS, but even if they do it would be useful to have ingame, savegame-specific, MKS-only rewards settings rather than having to change the global cfg when switching between saves or adjust rewards for everything.

20 hours ago, RoverDude said:

More thread catchup :)

I've seen a lot of orbital stations using the ground (Ranger) parts.  Curious why folks do that vs. using the newer Tundra inflatables...

In my case just ignorance. Just your comment there made me look and realize that the Tundra inflatables can also be configured as greenhouse, I always assumed they were hab only. Possibly because they're called "Habitat"...

However, what's still missing is a convenient inflatable storage module like the old OKS ISM so I still use Ranger ISMs here. The flat kontainers are just too massive and part-intensive in comparison. Something in the cylindrical kontainer tank form factor for solids storage would be nice too. Basically stretched flat kontainers.

1 hour ago, jd284 said:

However, what's still missing is a convenient inflatable storage module like the old OKS ISM so I still use Ranger ISMs here. The flat kontainers are just too massive and part-intensive in comparison. Something in the cylindrical kontainer tank form factor for solids storage would be nice too. Basically stretched flat kontainers.

An inline or more station-y looking ISM would indeed be nice, but I ran the numbers about ISMs vs the existing kontainers. ISMs are only ~15% lighter per unit storage unit than the other kontainers (~9200/tonne as opposed to 8000/tonne). This advantage is reversed if you don't use one of the resources in the presets (i.e. it is more weight-efficient to use cylindrical/octagonal kontainers at that point), and ISMs can't be filled in the VAB either. If you want a tiny amount of storage, 1.25 cylinders or ready-paks are better weightwise (does an extra couple of parts make all the difference?). IMO cylinders look pretty well suited an orbital base, as well as being (along with octo-konts) the only way to ship resources from the KSC.

On a side note, is there any reason the Salamander doesn't have an integrated antenna? Will submit a PR to add one if that's not the case.

Edited by voicey99

21 hours ago, RoverDude said:

For me, the Ranger stats are better.  Used the Tundras in my very first station, and have not used since (except the ring...love that thing)

Having two Ranger habs allows the 83 month extra time and the 5x multiplier, and one on each side of your station core gives a nice balance.  The non-ring Tundra inflatables have less extra time and no multiplier, iirc. Then you need the 3.75 habitats to get the multiplier stats, but it could make the station core too long. Aesthetics do suffer a bit though.

3 hours ago, blakemw said:

I get the impression that the kolony rewards are a bit too generous, especially funds. Do the rewards scale with difficulty? I'm playing hard career, so if the rewards aren't reduced proportionately it might be why it looks too profitable.

I agree with this completely. I'm getting millions every month from Minmus right now. I'd like the ability to adjust them individually.

1 hour ago, Noel32 said:

Sorry to ask but I kind of suspect half of what I find online is out of date. 

Could someone please, point me towards a logistics tutorial for this mod?

I'm not sure why you would think that, 99% of the wiki and KSPedia entry are up to date. There is a nice scavenging explanation in the KSPedia entry and this weekends release will have a new Planetary Logistics section and a local logistics explanation too.

35 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I'm not sure why you would think that, 99% of the wiki and KSPedia entry are up to date.

The home page of the MKS wiki begins with a warning that says:

This page reflects changes implemented in 0.50, but prior to 0.50.9. Some of the ratios may be off unless noted otherwise

Even if most of the info is actually up-to-date, a reader who's new to MKS won't know that, and the warning gives the impression that it's outdated.

6 hours ago, zabieru said:

Hi Zabeiru.

Thanks for looking. I already added something very similar, but it didn't help.

After uninstalling every mod and reinstalling from scratch my issue appears to be resolved. Worth doing to get the micro ducted fan to work. I love those things :)

6 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

The home page of the MKS wiki begins with a warning that says:

This page reflects changes implemented in 0.50, but prior to 0.50.9. Some of the ratios may be off unless noted otherwise

Even if most of the info is actually up-to-date, a reader who's new to MKS won't know that, and the warning gives the impression that it's outdated.

Cheers, will get that updated

23 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@WuphonsReach - Log a github issue if you want more nodes, or if @dboi88 can do a PR, all the better

Also, at this point I plan on doing a release next weekend.  So now is a good time to log issues and toss PRs :)

@WuphonsReach Pull Request #1135 , this was a horrible experience :( i now have an absolute hatred for node configs and axis.

RoverDude do you have any diagrams for what they are in the VAB and SPH or do you just know instinctively at this stage? I've always resorted to setting them in unity and using NODE{}'s in the .cfg instead.

23 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

@WuphonsReach Pull Request #1135 , this was a horrible experience :( i now have an absolute hatred for node configs and axis.

RoverDude do you have any diagrams for what they are in the VAB and SPH or do you just know instinctively at this stage? I've always resorted to setting them in unity and using NODE{}'s in the .cfg instead.

There's actually a mod that makes that a lot easier:

It lets you edit them directly in the VAB/SPH, and see the results.  Then copy-paste into your cofig files.