[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

The Malemute is designed as a standalone mod, the Karibou is heavier-duty and designed as an ancillary mod to MKS etc (it used to be standalone before integration with MKS). On a side note, the Malemute's design constantly gives me déjà vu when looking at it, like I've seen it before but can't quite remember where.

Yeah I use it with MKS on my other install and I did use it back when it was standalone. I know what you mean about the malemute haha, I'm sure I have seen it in a film :-D

1 minute ago, Stevie_D said:

14ec0f15c0a0d7c6070bb0b6e258ddb9.jpg

From the film "The Last Days on Mars" :)

Ohhhhhhhhhh I knew I had haha. Cool :-)

17 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

<schnip>

From the film "The Last Days on Mars" :)

I haven't seen that film so it must be somewhere else as well. It is fairly generic rover, though. I'm thinking some videogame (at first I thought one of the Red Factions but that was...a red herring. Sorry).

@beta546 how do you add (attributed) quotes when editing a post?

Edited by voicey99

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

On a side note, the Malemute's design constantly gives me déjà vu when looking at it, like I've seen it before but can't quite remember where.

It also has some similarities to Feline Utility Rovers — wheel placement, and the sloped bottom of the front cabin.  (I suspect FUR might be inspired by the same movie.)

Edited by Wyzard

22 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

It also has some similarities to Feline Utility Rovers — wheel placement, and the sloped bottom of the front cabin.  (I suspect FUR might be inspired by the same movie.)

It's not an uncommon design - the sloped bottom is a solution to the 'you aren't driving on a road, and can't go out to spot easily, so you want to be sure where you're wheels are' problem.  All of these probably trace their linage back to early NASA prototypes for (what became) the Space Exploration Vehicle or the MOBLAB.

7 hours ago, Wyzard said:

Hmm, that SEV cabin looks suspiciously like a Karibou.  NASA engineers must be playing with MKS!  :wink:

The Karibou is much much closer to the Lunar Electric Rover which also turns up in NASA's Moonbase Alpha, although because humans are bigger I don't think the LER has the nifty two up, one down seat arrangement the Karibou does.

1 hour ago, damerell said:

The Karibou is much much closer to the Lunar Electric Rover which also turns up in NASA's Moonbase Alpha, although because humans are bigger I don't think the LER has the nifty two up, one down seat arrangement the Karibou does.

You do realise the SEV and LER are exactly the same thing, right? That one you linked has just got panelling on one side instead of two airlocks- you can see both variants side by side in this picture. For a better look, Top Gear drove one a while back. Also the first pic has a guy in the bottom dome so they evidently can take 3+ people.

Edited by voicey99

44 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You do realise the SEV and LER are exactly the same thing, right?

No, I didn't; the first link to the SEV has the space version front and centre with a different arrangement of windows.

1 minute ago, damerell said:

the first link to the SEV has the space version front and centre

You what?

2 minutes ago, damerell said:

with a different arrangement of windows.

What's the difference? Two at the top front, two on the sides and three on the bottom front with a bubble dome in the centre.

6 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You what?

What's the difference? Two at the top front, two on the sides and three on the bottom front with a bubble dome in the centre.

He's looking at my links - there's a space version (that is: orbital), with four across the top and three across the bottom.  No curved glass - only plate glass.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

He's looking at my links - there's a space version (that is: orbital), with four across the top and three across the bottom.  No curved glass - only plate glass.

I was looking at what Wyzard linked and called the SEV. Is that not the SEV?

Just now, voicey99 said:

I was looking at what Wyzard linked and called the SEV. Is that not the SEV?

There's two SEV's, or rather the SEV is a system, not a single vehicle.  There's the ground-exploration version and the space-exploration version.  They are slightly different.  (At least the prototypes are: I expect that the point is to try out different ideas and pick the best.)  Check my NASA link above.

Just now, DStaal said:

There's two SEV's, or rather the SEV is a system, not a single vehicle.  There's the ground-exploration version and the space-exploration version.  They are slightly different.  (At least the prototypes are: I expect that the point is to try out different ideas and pick the best.)  Check my NASA link above.

So it seems neither me or @damerell would be wrong, since he(?) was referring to the orbital sharpnosed version and I was looking at the linked rover bubblecab version. It just so happens that the design that they quoted and said was different was actually the same, but the other configuration (presumably the intended target) does indeed look different to the Karibou.

23 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

So it seems neither me or @damerell would be wrong, since he(?) was referring to the orbital sharpnosed version and I was looking at the linked rover bubblecab version. It just so happens that the design that they quoted and said was different was actually the same, but the other configuration (presumably the intended target) does indeed look different to the Karibou.

And of course the link they quoted referred to it by a different name.  (And if they hadn't scrolled down on my link, they may not have seen the equivalent version.)

On 7/16/2017 at 4:57 PM, voicey99 said:

Going through the wiki and I'm updating the Processing page but I've noticed-are ALL the machinery values wrong in the tables? This is an especially egregious error in the case of the MPUs, since they are down as using over 3 orders of magnitude less machinery than they do. This makes me wonder if the values got accidentally changed at some point, if they were once much lower?

The machinery amount for the MPUs changed - they consume at a lower rate than the standard rate.

Unrelated - the Malemute is indeed based on the rover in Last Days on Mars, and the Karibou is based on the LER :)

Just now, RoverDude said:

The machinery amount for the MPUs changed - they consume at a lower rate than the standard rate.

Do you mean their capacity as well as consumption changed (and what is the standard rate)? I also noted that the MPU ore:fuel mass ratio is 10:1 while in the stock ISRUs it is 1:1-should the ore input be lowered to bring it further into line or left as it is?

On 7/18/2017 at 5:47 PM, voicey99 said:

I haven't seen that film so it must be somewhere else as well. It is fairly generic rover, though. I'm thinking some videogame (at first I thought one of the Red Factions but that was...a red herring. Sorry).

@beta546 how do you add (attributed) quotes when editing a post?

Another possibility: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Trak

I've got a Minmus surface base set up (pic in link attached), and I have mining facilities at the base for everything usable in MKS, apart from Uraninite, Rare Metals, Water and Hydrates. I need Rare Metals to fully set-up my material kits and machinery production, but the nearest rare metal deposit is a few kilometers away (more than 2km). I have tried the Local logistics just to see if it would work, and I already have my Rare Metal mining lander where there is a high-conc deposit, but the resources stay on the lander and dont get transferred to the main base. For this ill need planetary logistics, but I have no idea how to set it up. I have referred to the in-game Wiki and its not very clear at all, and the MKS wiki doesnt explain how to set it up. 

I'm not too experienced with this mod either, this is my first "proper" base using MKS, and everything up to now has been (reasonably) straightforward.

Please can someone point me in the right direction, or just explain how I can get my resources from any deposit around Minmus, back to my main Base. 

Thanks.

Base Pic: http://imgur.com/a/CDcAh

Edited by techgamer17

1 hour ago, techgamer17 said:

I've got a Minmus surface base set up (pic in link attached), and I have mining facilities at the base for everything usable in MKS, apart from Uraninite, Rare Metals, Water and Hydrates. I need Rare Metals to fully set-up my material kits and machinery production, but the nearest rare metal deposit is a few kilometers away (more than 2km). I have tried the Local logistics just to see if it would work, and I already have my Rare Metal mining lander where there is a high-conc deposit, but the resources stay on the lander and dont get transferred to the main base. For this ill need planetary logistics, but I have no idea how to set it up. I have referred to the in-game Wiki and its not very clear at all, and the MKS wiki doesnt explain how to set it up. 

I'm not too experienced with this mod either, this is my first "proper" base using MKS, and everything up to now has been (reasonably) straightforward.

Please can someone point me in the right direction, or just explain how I can get my resources from any deposit around Minmus, back to my main Base. 

Thanks.

Base Pic: http://imgur.com/a/CDcAh

Hi,

I have solved this a few times using PL. IIRC, the real trick was just making sure your storage tanks that are attached to the vessel are large enough to hold at least 6 hours of input materials (1 Kerbin Day).  PL won't transfer resources faster than 6 hour intervals during the catch up processing after you warp.

MaterialKits don't need RM.  Machinery needs Specialized Parts, which need RefinedExotics, which need ExoticMinerals and RareMetals.  You can use an MPL as a remote drilling vessel to drill for EM and RM and is capable of pushing to PL automatically and unattended. The vessel that will manufacture the RE needs a Logistics module, sufficient tank space for EM and RM, and a pilot in any vessel within 150M of that vessel to allow PL to pull the resources (one pilot can support many Logistic-equipped vessels, as long as they are in range).

31 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi,

I have solved this a few times using PL. IIRC, the real trick was just making sure your storage tanks that are attached to the vessel are large enough to hold at least 6 hours of input materials (1 Kerbin Day).  PL won't transfer resources faster than 6 hour intervals during the catch up processing after you warp.

MaterialKits don't need RM.  Machinery needs Specialized Parts, which need RefinedExotics, which need ExoticMinerals and RareMetals.  You can use an MPL as a remote drilling vessel to drill for EM and RM and is capable of pushing to PL automatically and unattended. The vessel that will manufacture the RE needs a Logistics module, sufficient tank space for EM and RM, and a pilot in any vessel within 150M of that vessel to allow PL to pull the resources (one pilot can support many Logistic-equipped vessels, as long as they are in range).

Right, so basically the first step is making sure my mining vessel for Rare Metals has large enough storage for RM for over 6 hours so that the logistics automatically works?