[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I am trying to start a recycler + logistics. Due to several reasons I didn't want to attach it to the actual base but instead set it up through logistics. My set up is faulty in that there is not enough power generation on the recycler craft, but that shouldn't be a problem - should it? The EC is enough for about an hour before it will be depleted.

However, it doesn't seem to work. I have seen logistics in operation before and it usually takes only a couple of seconds to deliver a resource. However with my current set up time passes but no Mulch is delivered to recycler. Am I doing something wrong? The recycler part is not manned, but my understanding was that it is not a requirement.

I also have a Karibou rover in range, though it shouldn't be needed because the range is less than 150m to everything.

image.png

Edited by snakeru

Another problem that I have is that my base's life support keeps running out of the EC even though a "Scout-200 Power Pack" is present and is on.

ECs deplete within a few days if I am elsewhere (say, Kerbin). If I come back (load the base into the physics range) the ECs seem to be refilled instantaneously. I guess what happens is that KSP doesn't really spend any ECs while I'm away so that they are not refilled but rather preserved. Yet the USI-LS seems to be unhappy about that.

Is the W.O.L.F. the only solution to that or do I miss something?

image.png

Edited by snakeru

9 hours ago, snakeru said:

Another problem that I have is that my base's life support keeps running out of the EC even though a "Scout-200 Power Pack" is present and is on.

ECs deplete within a few days if I am elsewhere (say, Kerbin). If I come back (load the base into the physics range) the ECs seem to be refilled instantaneously. I guess what happens is that KSP doesn't really spend any ECs while I'm away so that they are not refilled but rather preserved. Yet the USI-LS seems to be unhappy about that.

Is the W.O.L.F. the only solution to that or do I miss something?

image.png

The supply and EC tracking on this screen aren't able to account for ongoing production (as it would require fully simulating the craft), so will generally drain down to zero. Your base isn't actually running out and shouldn't suffer any ill effects (subject to quirks of catch-up mechanics).

Use it for hab and ignore the others. I believe WOLF is indeed the only way Roverdude et al could get around this.

10 hours ago, snakeru said:

I am trying to start a recycler + logistics. Due to several reasons I didn't want to attach it to the actual base but instead set it up through logistics. My set up is faulty in that there is not enough power generation on the recycler craft, but that shouldn't be a problem - should it? The EC is enough for about an hour before it will be depleted.

However, it doesn't seem to work. I have seen logistics in operation before and it usually takes only a couple of seconds to deliver a resource. However with my current set up time passes but no Mulch is delivered to recycler. Am I doing something wrong? The recycler part is not manned, but my understanding was that it is not a requirement.

I also have a Karibou rover in range, though it shouldn't be needed because the range is less than 150m to everything.

image.png

May be wrong but I always thought recyclers did need to be on the craft with the crew. Agroponics you could run via logistics. Grab a KAS screwdriver and move it over, I suggest.

Also re logistics - I believe the mechanism is something always needs to "pull" the resource, eg Kerbals using supplies or agroponics using fert+mulch. If nothing on a sub-base is "pulling" (and I don't think a recycler counts, since it's just affecting another process rather than using a resource itself), no resources move. Local logistics maybe also evens resources around, but still doesn't help your recycler.

Edited by Such
autocorrectfailx2 + logistics

11 hours ago, snakeru said:

Ok, there's a couple of things:  First off, you need more battery storage for catch-up, which is done in six-hour chunks.  That won't be needed for just watching it in place however.

Secondly, the recycler doesn't actually need to use mulch, so it doesn't pull mulch.  It just reduces the use of it by Kerbals.  So you'll never see it pull mulch - and it doesn't matter, all that matters is that Supplies usage will go down when you turn it on.

Thirdly - You don't need a Kerbal in the part for Logistics, but logistics doesn’t matter for this anyway.  What does is Life Support - and I believe you *do* need a Kerbal in the ship for it's parts to be counted as part of the local life support network.

Try watching the LifeSupport window while turning the recycler on and off.  If the supply time changes, everything's working.  (But you'll want more battery.)  If it doesn't, you need a Kerbal in the ship with the recycler.

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

First off, you need more battery storage for catch-up, which is done in six-hour chunks.  That won't be needed for just watching it in place however.

Resource catchup doesn't simulate EC for simplicity's sake.

51 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Resource catchup doesn't simulate EC for simplicity's sake.

Thank you for the keyword! Googling for it yields a recent explanation of some game mechanics. Very useful!

On some other, unrelated note: it seems that MKS has some incompatibility with 1.7.1: repainting a storage fails to delete old resources from the UI so the list keep growing until the window is screen-tall and gets a scrollbar. This is purely a UI issue, the storage still has only a couple of the resources when used in the field.

2 hours ago, snakeru said:

Thank you for the keyword! Googling for it yields a recent explanation of some game mechanics. Very useful!

On some other, unrelated note: it seems that MKS has some incompatibility with 1.7.1: repainting a storage fails to delete old resources from the UI so the list keep growing until the window is screen-tall and gets a scrollbar. This is purely a UI issue, the storage still has only a couple of the resources when used in the field.

That’s not just an MKS bug... I had that happen in the editor with IFS tanks too.  Closing the PAW and then opening it back up fixed it. 

Thank you for all the answers! Next question :):

Does the Agroponics recipe work in this screenshot? It seems to - the fertilizer shows "0.00" expense - which is a good sign (there is a small but positive drain). However, the supplies are hard to check as there are too many kerbals onboard (6) and besides - there is this zero productivity indicator which makes me suspicious of something being amiss. OTOH - the "Vessel productivity" is clearly above zero. 

So if the recipe works - how much supplies it will output per day? I think the second person onboard this module is a scientist level 2.

image.png

19 hours ago, snakeru said:

Does the Agroponics recipe work in this screenshot? It seems to - the fertilizer shows "0.00" expense - which is a good sign (there is a small but positive drain). However, the supplies are hard to check as there are too many kerbals onboard (6) and besides - there is this zero productivity indicator which makes me suspicious of something being amiss. OTOH - the "Vessel productivity" is clearly above zero. 

So if the recipe works - how much supplies it will output per day? I think the second person onboard this module is a scientist level 2.

image.png

A few things:

Farmer is for organics, Biologist is for fertiliser (agroponics).

On the normal resource info, (0.00) means going down, (-0.00) means going up, so at the moment you are losing supplies ie insufficient agroponics to meet demand.

For better info, check colonisation window (button below the green cube USI-LS button), go to Kolony Inventory window and that will tell you more precisely how quickly you're using supplies and - most important - how long to exhaust them. Clearly if they're going down but so slowly as to take years then you may be satisfied.

Not sure on that productivity stat. There's a separate fan-made USI info mod that gives extra calc details, don't recall exactly what it's called.

I'm having some issues with some of the USI parts causing some.. weird VAB/SPH behavior in 1.7.1 such as the Karibou rovers.. is this.. expected?  since the mod isn't official yet for 1.7.1?  symptoms are the transparent pod not working right and sometimes it won't *unload* the ship when you leave/return to the VAB/SPH.. very odd and only with these parts.  basically works once you've launched it though.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:51 PM, snakeru said:

snip

One of the ways I used to figure that out is to display the resources in the upper right and do a 10x or 50x warp. Very small numbers that display as 0.00 or (0.00) will be multiplied by the warp speed and you will see some actual numbers. Then, just do the math to see how much is produced/consumed.

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

At what frequency does checking this thread(and the post feed on RoverDude's profile) looking for updates/release of WOLF change from eager anticipation to stalking?

What, you don't have an e-mail update set up with an SMS relay to text you anytime there's an update to this thread? ;)

1 minute ago, tsaven said:

What, you don't have an e-mail update set up with an SMS relay to text you anytime there's an update to this thread? ;)

Just set up your phone to alert your watch when an email from the thread comes in.  No need to add levels of relay - they're only delays.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:15 PM, ss8913 said:

I'm having some issues with some of the USI parts causing some.. weird VAB/SPH behavior in 1.7.1 such as the Karibou rovers.. is this.. expected?  since the mod isn't official yet for 1.7.1?  symptoms are the transparent pod not working right and sometimes it won't *unload* the ship when you leave/return to the VAB/SPH.. very odd and only with these parts.  basically works once you've launched it though.

RoverDude has not released a 1.7.1 version yet, so compatibility issues are to be expected until he can update it.

The transparent pod not working right exists at least in 1.7.0 as well - and I think in 1.6.x, and possibly further back.  It's a relic of the Karibou using the transparent pods mod, and most of those functions being moved into stock, necessitating a small rework of that mod.  There was a texture update needed, IIRC.

So I came back to playing ksp a couple of months ago.... And I am wondering what is this W.O.L.F thing I keep hearing about. googled it but cant find anything...

Figured out it has to do with management of ressources but thats about it...

7 hours ago, merlinux said:

So I came back to playing ksp a couple of months ago.... And I am wondering what is this W.O.L.F thing I keep hearing about. googled it but cant find anything...

Figured out it has to do with management of ressources but thats about it...

One of the parts I am keen on trying out involves basically setting up resource and manufacturing bases as non-physical entities(along with inter-base transport).

This will let you build and expand bases that are not physics simulated (either not at all or replaced with a basic representation of some sort) where you can add drills/power/kerbals/refineries/etc.

Then you can demonstrate transportation between two of these 'bases' once, and then use that as a template for automated resource transfer costs(presumably using a solar-powered rover to do this will make said transport free).

You can also use a 'bin' sort of container to retrieve some of those resources for physical bases to use, even between planets.

There are also expected to be 20m 'domes' able to combine multiple processing steps into one, but those are distinct from W.O.L.F. (but presumably compatible)

@Terwin Thanks for answering me in your way but I still don't know what W.O.L.F refers to or means? :D

I understand you are trying to develop a new way to do planetary/orbital logistics. Is this for a new mod or is it to be used in Roverdude's MKS?

4 minutes ago, merlinux said:

@Terwin Thanks for answering me in your way but I still don't know what W.O.L.F refers to or means? :D

I understand you are trying to develop a new way to do planetary/orbital logistics. Is this for a new mod or is it to be used in Roverdude's MKS?

I am not one of the developers, but I believe W.O.L.F. will be a distinct USI mod.  (and everything I know about it comes from this thread)

@tsaven Thanks, I had not noticed the 'Follow' function, that should be helpful.