[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 hours ago, Tabris said:

@RoverDude,

is that video that dropped at Gamescon the reason that the Dome parts aren't in MKS yet?

I'm thinking has to be something lupine to have colonies of that size, ie RD's work plus a graphical representation showing an evolving 'single part' object as the Wolf base grows in size & capability - either that or multi-thousand part bases are a thing in KSP2.

No doubt in due course the NDA burrito will allow leaks of a few tasty morsels.

This is the bit where I ask everyone very nicely to make my job easier and keep anything KSP-2 related out of the thread, and to avoid speculation, etc.  Also the general reminder that NDA means NDA, not *wink nudge* NDA, or *thumbs down* NDA, etc.   I very much enjoy working for my benevolent Mexican overlords, and want to keep it that way :D

MKS-Related:  The domes and WOLF Alpha are something coming up, was actually about to hop on a call with @DoktorKrogg to discuss :)

21 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I'm slightly out of the loop. What's WOLF?

(also NDAs are stupid and people should refuse to sign them)

W.O.L.F. is a resource management approach that limits the amount of processing power needed to handle lots of large bases.

Basically you have bases that you create/deliver components for that just get added in, and increases production, and because you can't remove anything(other than resources), it no longer needs to be simulated after it is added to the base, allowing for much larger operations than the current resource system.

NDAs are generally required for things like having a job, or working with clients, or just bout anything 'knowledge worker' related.  (Usually you sign a minor one before having an interview, and a big one as part of accepting a job offer)

12 hours ago, dlrk said:

(also NDAs are stupid and people should refuse to sign them)

I am partial to being employed :)  And as @Terwin noted, they are par for the course for knowledge workers.  I've had to deal with NDA's in every job I have held for the past 25 years.

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I’m pretty sure I had to sign an NDA at a warehouse job...

I won't say you can't write an evil NDA, but most are just 'don't talk about any company secrets, customer data, or unreleased products'.

And all of my NDA's would fall into the very reasonable/completely expected and understood category.

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

So I'll be doing Sunday streams with @DoktorKrogg while we work through a WOLF playthrough starting this week :). So good times.

I haven't played KSP in ages, and I miss your streams!  Hopefully my schedule will line up so I can catch this!  And all I could think of when I saw the 2.0 announcement was, I hope RD got to work on it, I hope RD got to work on it, I hope RD got to work on it -- because that would mean it would be awesome :D 

2 minutes ago, mcortez said:

I haven't played KSP in ages, and I miss your streams!  Hopefully my schedule will line up so I can catch this!  And all I could think of when I saw the 2.0 announcement was, I hope RD got to work on it, I hope RD got to work on it, I hope RD got to work on it -- because that would mean it would be awesome :D 

Sunday 7pm Eastern :)  

Weird issue - went through the thread and Github and didn't see anything matching this, but since I've upgraded to the latest and greatest USI/MKS/LS - my PAW for changing the cargo for containers seems to add the next selection to the existing window, so if you click it once, two cargo's (original and next selection) show, with each click showing up as you go through, next or previous.

Only MKS/USI/LS mods installed - with full ground support and configurable containers.  (next step is to remove ground and config containers since they are 1.7.2)  - KSP 1.7.3 MH 1.7.1 BG 1.2.0 installed.

Whatever is on the top of the list is selected when you exit the PAW - is this how it works now?  Before I dig deeper,  I would like to know if anyone else is seeing this?

Example:

Opening PAW for container -

q2zPlmr.jpg

after selecting "next cargo"

OHJPQ9g.jpg

Shows both cargo's

selecting Previous Cargo:

YHoWr2Q.jpg

and previous again:

8IQkQdA.jpg

if I exit out of the PAW - whatever is on top of the cargo list is selected for the container (i opened the PAW again):

7GJCcFL.jpg

No errors appear on screen, but I did see this in the KSP.txt:

[LOG 12:44:19.376] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 12:44:19.384] Game State Saved to saves/default/persistent
[WRN 12:44:38.806] *PartUtils* Unable to find UIPartActionWindow list
[LOG 12:44:38.806] no UI to refresh
[LOG 12:44:40.966] deleting part C3.Kontainer.01
[WRN 12:44:41.690] *PartUtils* Unable to find UIPartActionWindow list
[LOG 12:44:41.691] no UI to refresh

But this happens when I exit the VAB - so I don't *think* that is pointing to any issue here.

(going to remove all the mods on a fresh install and just add the MKS bare minimum to see if it happens)

2 minutes ago, RookFett said:

Weird issue - went through the thread and Github and didn't see anything matching this, but since I've upgraded to the latest and greatest USI/MKS/LS - my PAW for changing the cargo for containers seems to add the next selection to the existing window, so if you click it once, two cargo's (original and next selection) show, with each click showing up as you go through, next or previous.

Only MKS/USI/LS mods installed - with full ground support and configurable containers.  (next step is to remove ground and config containers since they are 1.7.2)  - KSP 1.7.3 MH 1.7.1 BG 1.2.0 installed.

Whatever is on the top of the list is selected when you exit the PAW - is this how it works now?  Before I dig deeper,  I would like to know if anyone else is seeing this?

Example:

Opening PAW for container -

q2zPlmr.jpg

after selecting "next cargo"

OHJPQ9g.jpg

Shows both cargo's

selecting Previous Cargo:

YHoWr2Q.jpg

and previous again:

8IQkQdA.jpg

if I exit out of the PAW - whatever is on top of the cargo list is selected for the container (i opened the PAW again):

7GJCcFL.jpg

No errors appear on screen, but I did see this in the KSP.txt:

[LOG 12:44:19.376] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 12:44:19.384] Game State Saved to saves/default/persistent
[WRN 12:44:38.806] *PartUtils* Unable to find UIPartActionWindow list
[LOG 12:44:38.806] no UI to refresh
[LOG 12:44:40.966] deleting part C3.Kontainer.01
[WRN 12:44:41.690] *PartUtils* Unable to find UIPartActionWindow list
[LOG 12:44:41.691] no UI to refresh

But this happens when I exit the VAB - so I don't *think* that is pointing to any issue here.

(going to remove all the mods on a fresh install and just add the MKS bare minimum to see if it happens)

Known issue, stock glitch in latest KSP.  It's visual only - close the PAW and reopen and it will show the correct current contents.

Multiple resource-switcher mods are showing the issue.  (Though I think some have addressed it.)

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

If someone has let me know and I can see what they did :)

Yeah, that's a thing that used to work, and then the KSP 1.7.1 changed something that broke it.  But the fix turns out to be pretty simple.  Here's the commit where I fixed it in SimpleFuelSwitch:

https://github.com/KSPSnark/SimpleFuelSwitch/commit/c34bae3fefd9debc68e6b99869f18dcdbaf8f5cb

...the relevant line of code is in ModuleSimpleFuelSwitch.cs, specifically the method OnResourcesSwitched.  Basically, it used to be the case that calling window.displayDirty = true was all you had to do, but now it's necessary to call window.CreatePartList(true) first.

On 8/20/2019 at 3:42 AM, goldenpsp said:

Would need more information.  Between MKS 1.1 and 1.2 there were major game breaking changes made to the KAS mod.  Flexotubes are basically reskinned KAS pipes.  Presumably there were fixes in 1.2 for the KAS changes.  So for one it would be important that you upgraded those mods in conjunction with the MKS upgrade.  Also I have no idea how things work as I haven't tried it yet (on vacation).

After little experimenting with versions:
KSP 1.6.1 + KAS 1.1 + MKS 1.1 - works well in old way - FlexTube has Link in popup menu, which pick up the tube (like any other pipe in KAS) and 'move' it. Then 'Link' on target FlexTube will dock 2 vesels together.

KSP 1.6.1 + KAS 1.1 + MKS 1.2 - by picking the source FlexTube - all possible target tubes are highlighted (no longer needed to walk to target Flextube). After establishing link, the connection is visually rendered correctly, but 2 connected vessels are not docked - they are connected like 'Undocked' pipes in KAS

KSP 1.6.1 + KAS 1.2 + MKS 1.1 (or 1.2) - looks like the FlexTubes not working at all - no Link context menu available - the tubes behave just like attached parts.

Finally I tried
KSP 1.7.3 + KAS 1.4 + MKS 1.2 - works perfectly well. Source FlexTube has 'Attach" popup menu, which highlights possible target tubes. By selecting target tube, 2 vessels/bases are docked - they behave as one vessel.

Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Fizbanger said:

Sorry guys stupid question but how do I download this mod?  GitHub has no obvious download button that I can see anywhere.  Just a listing of the different version of the mod and it's content.

Well, you could use CKAN and download the USI Kolonization Systems mod

Or, click on the link in RoverDude's signature block to go to the USI mod catalog.  Click on the Latest Release link for the mod you want and download the .zip from the resulting GitHub page.  Install manually in your KSP installation's GameData folder.

I'm looking for a set of mods to build around this (well, USI in general. I've always loved all the RoverDude mods :D ) and was curious what (if any) "future tech" mods people are using with MKS?

I recently finished watching The Expanse and the Epstein Drive was really cool to me.  Is there a mod that has something like this (that also plays nicely with MKS)?

29 minutes ago, Hektos said:

I'm looking for a set of mods to build around this (well, USI in general. I've always loved all the RoverDude mods :D ) and was curious what (if any) "future tech" mods people are using with MKS?

I recently finished watching The Expanse and the Epstein Drive was really cool to me.  Is there a mod that has something like this (that also plays nicely with MKS)?

Your best bet is RD's own Karbonite Expansion.  It has all the fusion drive goodness and of course works in concert with the other USI mod suite.

1 hour ago, Hektos said:

I often use the engines from Near Future Technologies:

Unfortunately... this breaks my all-time favorite mod: Kerbal Space Ponies. It seems MKS only recruits Kerbonauts with "Kerman" names.

Sorry @RoverDude… You make the best mods... but I'll have to delete MKS to get my ponies back. No doubt. -_-

Edit: I actually just found a solution :lol: MKS only recruits the "Kerman"-applicants, and leaves the pony-applicants in recruit center. Editing the save file from "type=applicant" to "type=crew" fixes my problem. Welcome back MKS :lol:

Edited by Steven Typles