[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, nickicool said:

This means now for build ships on orbit need use only parts and all the mechanics from Ground Construction?

Yes. If you edit the files you could port across functionality to them, but otherwise they are bricks.

9 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Yes. If you edit the files you could port across functionality to them, but otherwise they are bricks.

Did the community supported EL config file get deleted?  My understanding was that @RoverDude dropped official support for EL but accepted pull requests for anyone who wanted to maintain the config.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Did the community supported EL config file get deleted?

Going back to check the EL stuff is still there and the patches add functionality back to the pts (my bad in that case), but curiously they don't restore them to view as well.

33 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Did the community supported EL config file get deleted?  My understanding was that @RoverDude dropped official support for EL but accepted pull requests for anyone who wanted to maintain the config.

It didn't get deleted - but the people maintaining it know that those parts are depreciated and that they don't even match the current art of the rest of the parts, so I'm not sure they're making sure those parts still work.

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

It didn't get deleted - but the people maintaining it know that those parts are depreciated and that they don't even match the current art of the rest of the parts, so I'm not sure they're making sure those parts still work.

That makes sense.

7 hours ago, paul23 said:

Is there a version working for 1.7.3? Or will this be only for 1.6.9 and 1.8.x? CKan doesn't let met install any version :/

If you follow the catalog link in RoverDude's signature, you can access old versions on Github

Edit:

Link to MKS releases page:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases

Link to 1.7.x version:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases/tag/1.2.0.0

Edited by Terwin
added links

Hi! Made some research but did not manage to find any intel. I've downloaded the last version of MKS compatible with 1.8.1 and i cannot find the DIY Kits, did they disappear? Thought first was a tech tree issue, but i cannot find it in the sandbox mode either.

Am i missing something?^^

1 hour ago, bob_kelso said:

Hi! Made some research but did not manage to find any intel. I've downloaded the last version of MKS compatible with 1.8.1 and i cannot find the DIY Kits, did they disappear? Thought first was a tech tree issue, but i cannot find it in the sandbox mode either.

Am i missing something?^^

The Global Construction mod was pulled from the MKS package until it, too, is 1.8.1 compatible.  See RoverDude's post on the previous page.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm using KSP 1.8.1 and MKS 1.3.0.0. Is anybody else having the issue that the KSPedia file doesn't load?

Spoiler

[ERR 10:24:07.612] The file can not be loaded because it was created for another build target that is not compatible with this platform.

Please make sure to build AssetBundles using the build target platform that it is used by.
File's Build target is: 6

[ERR 10:24:07.612] Unknown error occurred while loading 'archive:/CAB-35810b7fe24c275bb219af95d6192369/CAB-35810b7fe24c275bb219af95d6192369'.

[ERR 10:24:07.613] The AssetBundle 'file://F:\Games\KSP8\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\mkskspedia.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 10:24:07.614] Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file://F:\Games\KSP8\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\mkskspedia.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 10:24:07.615] AssetLoader: Bundle is null

I'm only seeing this issue with Scansat and MKS. DeepFreeze's and Planetary Base Systems' KSPedias work just fine. And I know DMagic is aware of this in his mod.

Edited by caipi

20 hours ago, caipi said:

Hey guys,

I'm using KSP 1.8.1 and MKS 1.3.0.0. Is anybody else having the issue that the KSPedia file doesn't load?

Reveal hidden contents

[ERR 10:24:07.612] The file can not be loaded because it was created for another build target that is not compatible with this platform.

Please make sure to build AssetBundles using the build target platform that it is used by.
File's Build target is: 6

[ERR 10:24:07.612] Unknown error occurred while loading 'archive:/CAB-35810b7fe24c275bb219af95d6192369/CAB-35810b7fe24c275bb219af95d6192369'.

[ERR 10:24:07.613] The AssetBundle 'file://F:\Games\KSP8\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\mkskspedia.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 10:24:07.614] Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file://F:\Games\KSP8\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\mkskspedia.ksp' can't be loaded because it was not built with the right version or build target.

[ERR 10:24:07.615] AssetLoader: Bundle is null

I'm only seeing this issue with Scansat and MKS. DeepFreeze's and Planetary Base Systems' KSPedias work just fine. And I know DMagic is aware of this in his mod.

Yes

On 1/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, RoverDude said:

Ngp7em1.png

Introduction

Interplanetary Colonization represents one of the largest technological and logistical challenges on the horizon for manned spaceflight. 

USI's Modular Kolonization System (MKS) provides a huge array of new gameplay systems and supporting parts to support the experience of designing, building, and maintaining interplanetary colonies in Kerbal Space Progam.

For over three years, MKS has been the definitive Colonization mod for KSP, with continued refinement of the parts and core systems (including the resource system now integrated in the stock game) based on extensive community feedback and continued development and design.

MKS is not a parts pack.  It is a gameplay mod that adds a massive amount of end-game content for KSP, and can serve as the perfect capstone for your career save.  It can be soul crushingly hard, and as unforgiving as gravity.  But it can also be an incredibly rewarding gameplay experience, bringing back that sense of wonder and accomplishment that many of us remember from our first Mun landing.

If you want a parts pack where your idea of a colony is landing a single ship and call it a day, this is probably not the mod for you.  If you want something that transforms your gameplay, and gives you unapologetically difficult goals where you have to juggle planning, logistics, and the harsh constraints imposed by space, then you will likely get as much enjoyment playing MKS as I have received building and designing it.

Features

MKS adds a rich array of new features to support the challenge of building interplanetary colonies, including:

• A huge assortment of parts suitable for surface and orbital bases and stations, drawing inspiration from real-world parts and concepts from Bigelow, NASA, and others.
  • A clear progression of parts, from simple outposts and mobile bases to larger manufacturing complexes and permanent colonies.
  • Extended ISRU operations with more resources and more complex harvesting, refining, manufacturing chains, and new mechanics.
  • Discoverable resource lodes for more interactive resource harvesting and exploitation
  • Customizable and field-configurable converters and harvesters to allow post-launch customization of your colony.  
  • Tools for handling large bases, such as ground tethering and automated resource transfers for disconnected bases
  • Tools for building out your base In-Situ with harvested resources, whether it's by expanding and kitting out modules, or through in-situ construction via the bundled Ground Construction mod by @allista
  • Parts and tools for contructing bases including weldable ports, magnetic couplers, and heavy construction equipment via the bundled Konstruction mod.
  • Parts for mobile bases via the bundled Karibou Expedition Rover
  • Expanded Kerbal traits and effects in support of Kolonization
  • Comprehensive and seamless integration with USI Life Support, including life support, habitation, and homesickness.
  • Kolony rewards, providing ever increasing efficiencies as well as tangible bonuses in career mode, as your Kerbals gain experience colonizing other planets and moons.
  • The ability to support permanent colonies as well as ark-ships as your Kerbals expand their knowledge and become more experienced with off-world colonies.
  • Part disassembly and recycling
  • Wireless power transmission and Geothermal wells
  • Equipment wear and tear along with manual and automated maintenance tools
  • And much more!

FAQ

I hear MKS is really complicated - is that true?
MKS has significant depth and breadth, but provided you don't try to do everything at once, you will find the learning curve can be pretty reasonable.  Start with life support, and don't get fixated on trying to build everything at once.  The patterns learned with a small base quickly scale for larger ones.

What about documentation?
Thanks to @dboi88, MKS enjoys full KSPedia documentation.
There's also an excellent community maintained wiki available here.
MKS Documentation even has its own development thread here.

I can't seem to fit a 100% self sufficient base in a single launch - what am I doing wrong?
Building a self sufficient colony is hard.  Like... REALLY hard.  It's going to take a lot of launches and a lot of work.  The idea of MKS is that it is not about plunking down a base and being done.  Rather, it's the journey to get to that point that is the fun bit.  So yeah... you are going to need a few more rockets.

I can't find a place to create my base that has all of the resources!  
Good.  Now you get to enjoy some of the challenges that result from resource constraints.  Do you ship things in?  Do you set up multiple bases?  Or use low-efficiency harvesting to get trace materials and salvage the rest from scrapped components?

I feel overwhelmed... I try to make a base, and it seems I just need so many different parts!
Start small.  Start with just a habitation module or two and ship in supplies.  Then add some agroponics and ship in fertilizer.  Once you get those down pat, you are ready for more complex systems.

I am still lost - where can I get help?
Ask in this thread.  A lot of the folks here have been using MKS in their games for years, and are a pretty friendly lot.

This looks amazing, and I didn't have any plans for my weekend anyway - where do I get this stuff?
Great question!  Links are below :D

Download Links

Use any of the links below to download this mod, or pick it up via CKAN.

zGVS35q.png     JGB3aUC.png   

Source Code and Change Log

zTVRNvJ.png     lgLg46q.png

Donation Info!

If you like what you see, and want to help out (or just buy me a beer!), please consider donating, either via PayPal or Patreon.  

M9m07Qw.png    jQeqsVo.png

License Information

• Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license (see attached).
  • Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)
  • This mod redistributes Firespitter, which is covered under its own license.
  • This mod redistributes ModuleManager, which is covered under its own license.
  • This mod redistributes Ground Construction, which is covered under its own license.

NOTICE:  This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

I curently am experiencing a Bug mith Mks that The MEU-500, MEU-500A, Industrial Strip Miner, Automated Industrial Strip Miner aren't loading. Im using only mods from RoverDude and their dependencies.

2 hours ago, .Iszox said:

I curently am experiencing a Bug mith Mks that The MEU-500, MEU-500A, Industrial Strip Miner, Automated Industrial Strip Miner aren't loading. Im using only mods from RoverDude and their dependencies.

Which mods are you using(and which versions), also which version of KSP, and did you install the mods manually or using CKAN?

Finally, why did you quote the entire first post of this thread in your message?  As this entire thread is about MKS, I do not see how that quote contributes to your message.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:02 PM, Terwin said:

Which mods are you using(and which versions), also which version of KSP, and did you install the mods manually or using CKAN?

Finally, why did you quote the entire first post of this thread in your message?  As this entire thread is about MKS, I do not see how that quote contributes to your message.

Im a Newbie and this is my first acction on this Plattform.

For the Mods i decided to only use Mods made by Roverdude and their depencencies installed via Ckan

4 minutes ago, .Iszox said:

For the Mods i decided to only use Mods made by Roverdude and their depencencies installed via Ckan

Also if i install Extraplanetary Launchpad both Mks specific Launchpads arent there

2 hours ago, .Iszox said:

Also if i install Extraplanetary Launchpad both Mks specific Launchpads arent there

1) ckan can be wonky some times.  Usually it works ok, but if you are having problems with CKAN installed mods, the first step to try and fix it is to uninstall the CKAN mods and install them manually(for MKS this involved downloading from github{the 'latest release' link https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases  } then putting the contents of the zip file into your gameData folder)

2) the extraplanetary Launchpad models are no longer maintained and have been hidden/disabled so that they will not appear any more except on previously built vessels(to avoid breaking saves).  I believe there is a mod out there that will re-enable them, but General Construction(Previously Ground Construction) has replaced extra-planetary launchpads as the recommended on-site building mod for MKS

Edited by Terwin

Regarding the MKS 'Ranger' Inflatable Workshop, Im starting to create a moon base that I want to be mostly self sufficient, but Im not able to find this part in the part list or anywhere on the tech tree. I looked at the .cfg for the part and it says that I need Adv Construction which Ive already unlocked. I see the Tundra workshop is available to make Machinery, however it seems like that part would be significantly harder to land than the Inflatable Ranger part. 

Any suggestions on getting this part to show up in my part list?

4 hours ago, JSArrakis said:

Regarding the MKS 'Ranger' Inflatable Workshop, Im starting to create a moon base that I want to be mostly self sufficient, but Im not able to find this part in the part list or anywhere on the tech tree. I looked at the .cfg for the part and it says that I need Adv Construction which Ive already unlocked. I see the Tundra workshop is available to make Machinery, however it seems like that part would be significantly harder to land than the Inflatable Ranger part. 

It's intended for use with the following optional mod in order to make replacement/expansion parts to attach to your base/station on EVA.

Greetings! I'm starting to build a base on the Mun by launching in a few pieces at a time and I've noticed that attaching items via KAS doesn't seem to create the same pretty looking attachment nodes as shown in the VAB. Do you know of any way to re-create these nice looking attachments between pieces with KAS? Here is a picture illustrating the connection nodes in question: https://imgur.com/a/ElvHnVy

I was thinking of creating a bunch of miniature bases connected by Flex-o-tubes if it's not possible but I don't think it would look quite as nice as a bunch of trusses running between hubs XD

Thanks,

Nickel Bomber

4 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

It's intended for use with the following optional mod in order to make replacement/expansion parts to attach to your base/station on EVA.

I installed the mod you suggested and I still do not see the part in my parts list. 

The part Im referencing is this one: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Parts-(Ranger-Series)#mks-ranger-inflatable-workshop

1 hour ago, JSArrakis said:

I installed the mod you suggested and I still do not see the part in my parts list. 

The part Im referencing is this one: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Parts-(Ranger-Series)#mks-ranger-inflatable-workshop

Yes, that's the part I was referring to as well. It should be in the Manufacturing category in the VAB/SPH.

jrw2CrR.jpg

2 hours ago, NickelBomber said:

Greetings! I'm starting to build a base on the Mun by launching in a few pieces at a time and I've noticed that attaching items via KAS doesn't seem to create the same pretty looking attachment nodes as shown in the VAB. Do you know of any way to re-create these nice looking attachments between pieces with KAS? Here is a picture illustrating the connection nodes in question: https://imgur.com/a/ElvHnVy

I was thinking of creating a bunch of miniature bases connected by Flex-o-tubes if it's not possible but I don't think it would look quite as nice as a bunch of trusses running between hubs XD

Thanks,

Nickel Bomber

Actually, the solution is fairly simple:

Leave, the come back.  Or quicksave and then reload.

The nice looking attachment pieces (actually, they're fairings) will load upon scene load.  It's just when they're first attached via KIS (this is KIS, not KAS) that they don't load.