[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Exactly.  The whole idea is to reduce vessel count and save load due to all of the stuff you need to feed an MKS base, or prevent feeling forced to do an 'all in one' kind of setup.

Ok, this is what I imagined as well.  My current plan is to set up a bunch of WOLFy infrastructure to supply my orbital shipyard and science depot with supplies, fuel, material kits, and other finished goods, but basically no raw materials.

I have a question about this mod. I have spent some time trying to learn how this mod works and build a working colony on Minimus. I am almost at the finished point being able to produce everything  in enough quanity except for organics, i had a little bit of trouble there until i got smart enough to go read the wiki. So I send up a small amount of organics (seed crop) and it started producing organics so i thought i was good...not, I left to deal with another mission and when i returned my fertilizer had stopped producing and therefore my organics production had stopped so I jump over to fix the problem with my fertilizer supply and forget that the refinery making colony supplies was still running and during this time it drained me of what organics I had left. I call myself a dummy and prepare a supply run to take more organis (seed crop) up to get things started again but this time it doesnt work, I have plenty of organics on hand in the base but my agriculture units all say missing organics. I tried emptying the crate and moving in more again but still nothing, tried resetting the ag units, switched to different ag units, still says missing organics. At this point I dont know what to do. Does anyone know what I am missing? Any help would be awesome, TY.

1 hour ago, FabioofSpace said:

Hey,  does anybody have any examples of MKS being used side-by-side to 1.11 ksp inventory and building system. I started wondering about it and I couldn't find any footage or images by googling.

That update is still in progress. Like the rest of us you'll have to patiently wait for the next big update to drop.

Hopefully soon (TM) please @RoverDude !

22 hours ago, FabioofSpace said:

Hey,  does anybody have any examples of MKS being used side-by-side to 1.11 ksp inventory and building system. I started wondering about it and I couldn't find any footage or images by googling.

I am still using KAS for base building because stock KSP lacks node attach. So basically, nearly everything is the same.

Edited by Tacombel

3 hours ago, CateredCarrot said:

Can you share how to do it? I couldn’t find it anywhere...

@CateredCarrot

It just worked. Had to do nothing, just selected the piece to attach and the node appeared. I am sure I tried exactly that several times with no luck.

The only minor problem I have now is that, as you can see in the first picture, Jenfel is at a ladder. If I try to weld the part when grabbing the ladder, it is placed a bit displaced. It was solved by letting the ladder go.

thzYOiK.pngXTL8hhZ.png

Edited by Tacombel

12 hours ago, Tacombel said:

@CateredCarrot

It just worked. Had to do nothing, just selected the piece to attach and the node appeared. I am sure I tried exactly that several times with no luck.

The only minor problem I have now is that, as you can see in the first picture, Jenfel is at a ladder. If I try to weld the part when grabbing the ladder, it is placed a bit displaced. It was solved by letting the ladder go.

thzYOiK.pngXTL8hhZ.png

Thanks for the exemple. I was trying to figure out how to attach a docking port by the node just like your exemple. But in my case I could use only the surface attachment. go figure...

35 minutes ago, CateredCarrot said:

ty. I have seen that KIS/KAS will be depracated. I was just hoping that there could be already a MM patch or a pre-release including this. 

I expect the stock inventory support will be in the next release, and that KIS/KAS support will only be deprecated once that support is present.

(Note: this only means that new KIS/KAS problems will not be fixed by RD, not that it will no longer work, or that he will not accept KIS/KAS fix Pull requests from others, so don't expect it to break just because it is deprecated) 

2 hours ago, CateredCarrot said:

ty. I have seen that KIS/KAS will be depracated. I was just hoping that there could be already a MM patch or a pre-release including this. 

I am certainly not an expert, but judging from what I've read on other threads the "issue" with stock vs KIS inventories isn't something that can be fixed with a simple MM patch.

tbh in m my opinion the stock system is also superior, so there's really no need to support a mod when there's a better stock alternative.  In the next release all KIS/KAS related stuff will be deprecated and replaced with stock analogues.

25 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

tbh in m my opinion the stock system is also superior, so there's really no need to support a mod when there's a better stock alternative.  In the next release all KIS/KAS related stuff will be deprecated and replaced with stock analogues.

define better, but regardless what is your source?

22 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I do have a couple of concerns about the stock system:

1) not all stock parts seem to have the metadata to support it(it looks like only things smaller than 1.25m?  the 1.25m ore tank  for example has no metadata)

2) I have not seen any indication that it supports collective activity or other force multipliers(ie fork-lifts and other construction equipment that let you handle larger parts)

It is also nice to have the KAS config file so that you can by-pass annoying things like puling out your 20+ Kolonists to help your engineer place a newly built part. 

Just now, LatiMacciato said:

define better, but regardless what is your source?

RD is the author and primary coder, so if he says he is changing something about MKS, I would believe him.

36 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

that was not my point, I think 'better' is a choise of taste. KIS/KAS is not maintained by RD

Of course it is a matter of opinion.  And I believe he was referring to the likelyhood that @RoverDude had a hand in coding the stock inventory system.

Opinions aside, it doesn't really matter as MKS is @RoverDude's mod and if he wants it to support stock it's up to him.