[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

30 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I bet the problem (or part of the problem at least) is that those resources are not listed in the WOLF config.

Try editing GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/WOLF/WOLF.cfg and adding them to RefinedResourcesFilter 

Could be a bug - if so best way to get it fixed is going to be a PR or a Github issue as we kick out all of the bees

15 hours ago, Grimmas said:

I bet the problem (or part of the problem at least) is that those resources are not listed in the WOLF config.

Try editing GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/WOLF/WOLF.cfg and adding them to RefinedResourcesFilter 

I tried that and it works (but I added the resources to AssembledResourcesFilter instead)

I added Alloys,Synthetics,Robotics,Electronics,Prototypes

Heyo!

I am really enjoying the entire ecosystem that MKS provides and am currently setting up my first major base (woho!)

I do have a couple of question:

1. I set up miners around the body I am on, pushing to the planetary stockpile, but it seems like they don't keep doing so while being unloaded, is it something that I am doing wrong or how does that work ?

2. Which mod(s) are/is recommended for constructing vessles on a body I have my base on ? (atm I have global construction installed, or is recommended to go for extraplanetary launchpads, or what is a good one to go for if one has no experience with it)

3.  I still have a lot of issues trying to understand which parts do what, especially when it comes to production chains and stuff, and what different "tiers" of modules do, probably a kinda annoying question to ask there ><

(I might have another one or two but I think I should be golden rn ^^)

Kind regards,

Yuu

Re 1 - KSP won't process vessels when they are not loaded so that's just how it works unfortunately. If you want to manage multiple bases on a planet you'll need to visit them periodically to make them catch up - in the correct order (ie producers first then consumers). Not what you hoped for, and not ideal, I know. You can check out the WOLF parts which will reduce this problem significantly as they do not rely on the passage of time (with the downside - or upside - that WOLF will instead completely remove the production vessels from the game - kerbals and all - and replace them with an abstract number in your save file representing your 'development of infrastructure' in a given biome - so you can't go back to these bases). 

Re 2 - you can still use Global Construction and/or Planetary Launchpads. There are now also two new MKS-specific orbital shipyards and a ground shipyard is in testing I believe (there's a test part in the repository at least) so it's definitely in the works from what I've seen.

Re 3 - check the wiki on Github, it has most of the useful info even if not everything is up to date. The general progression is something like Ranger -> Duna (maybe mixed with Ranger) -> Tundra -> Atlas.

I think the new built-in orbital shipyards are probably the easiest to use. The orbital part works fine. You just place a shipyard in orbit, bring some resources over, click a button and boom, instant construction (resources not included, of course... you'll need to bring your own fuel, supplies etc). The new ship spawns empty (except for full EC charge) close to the shipyard.

Global Construction is a bit more involved - you need to first make prefab 'DIY kits' for the vessel you want and ship them out along with resources. The construction itself also takes time, it's not instant. Later on you can manufacture the DIY kits 'on site' as well.

Can't speak for Extraplanetary Launchpads, never used those. You can just look it up on YouTube if you want, every mod has had a short video made about it at some point. Or check their threads. 

I see!

I am still not 100% sure which solution to go for ><

It would be either going with the "vanilla" aka build in/new shipyards in testing (if I would know where to acquire the version) or from what it seems like, extra planetary launchpads 

Thank you very much!

I will go with the new solution then!

I persume it isn't on the ckan version yet ?

I wouldn't 100% know how I would update the mod either, or what would be needed to be installed for it

And for WOLF, I have it installed but no clue on how to use it (like most of the MKS/USI suite of mods)

(I am not at my pc atm, so can't really do/check too much, but does it work fine on an existing save ?)

Edited by Yuubari_

I'd definitely check out the Wiki then https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki and https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Life-Support.
It can all be a bit overwhelming at first, so I wouldn't recommend trying to build a megabase right away or going full WOLF from the start.
Take your time, experiment, it can be a rabbithole (but a good kind of rabbithole) :sticktongue:

On 4/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, Grimmas said:

Thanks for this. Biomass was missing in my Depot view and I added it to RefinedResourcesFilter. Would it be better in LifeSupportResourcesFilter?

I have been referencing the wiki a lot ^^

It is just confusing and the huge guide is nice to have but just really overwhelming for my monke brain xd

Atm I have my first more or less fancy base using MKS on Armstrong (playing on beyond home), and it is great fun learning figuring stuff out, I also have set up all the resources into the planetary warehouse from all over the body, so happy that it worked! xd

As I had kinda mentioned before, I am not 100% sure how one can passively gain resources from unloaded vehicles, or is there a solution with WOLF ? (Or is the only way to switch to them every so often ? ^^)

2 minutes ago, Yuubari_ said:

As I had kinda mentioned before, I am not 100% sure how one can passively gain resources from unloaded vehicles, or is there a solution with WOLF ? (Or is the only way to switch to them every so often ? ^^)

Can you provide a few more details on this scenario?

I got miners on the same body, all pushing into the planetary warehouse which is working flawlessly but I need to switch to it for the resources to pop up in the stockpile.

Basically, it isn't automatically pushing into the planetary warehouse while unloaded, the miners themselves are solar powered with lots of batteries, with the Duna logistics center in the middle and are probes (and also classified as such)

Not sure if that gives you the details needed ^^"

Edited by Yuubari_

Yeah, you have to do regular checkups to let everything catch up. If you have one, or  a few, small bases this isn't that much of a problem imo. I used to set repeating alarms so I wouldn't forget.
But when you go big, it can become a bit of a chore (in my experience). WOLF can be a solution for that, because everything (and you can take that literally) runs in the background once you've done the initial setup. So there's no catching up.

8 minutes ago, Yuubari_ said:

I got miners on the same body, all pushing into the planetary warehouse which is working flawlessly but I need to switch to it for the resources to pop up in the stockpile.

Basically, it isn't automatically pushing into the planetary warehouse while unloaded, the miners themselves are solar powered with lots of batteries, with the Duna logistics center in the middle and are probes (and also classified as such)

Not sure if that gives you the details needed ^^"

Thanks for this, was a little unclear about the "unloaded vehicles" term.

In MKS, this is indeed how it works. You do have to visit the mining vessels to have them push to PL. Also, you should visit the vessels that produce things before you visit vessels that consume things.

WOLF does make this a bit better because when you make resources in WOLF, they are always there. But, you need hoppers to transfer these resources out of WOLF, and they work on a time based rate. So, you don't have to worry about the producing part, but you still have to oversee the consuming part.

I see!

I mean it is okay how it is but it would be great for having it run in the background ^^

The question is how does one set up the WOLF stuff ?

Because for example the "greenhouses" (forgot how to spell the correct thing) also aren't running in the background to supply food to the kerbals.

Is it adviceable to use WOLF or does it have too much of an performance impact ?

8 minutes ago, modus said:

Yeah, you have to do regular checkups to let everything catch up. If you have one, or  a few, small bases this isn't that much of a problem imo. I used to set repeating alarms so I wouldn't forget.
But when you go big, it can become a bit of a chore (in my experience). WOLF can be a solution for that, because everything (and you can take that literally) runs in the background once you've done the initial setup. So there's no catching up.

2 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Thanks for this, was a little unclear about the "unloaded vehicles" term.

In MKS, this is indeed how it works. You do have to visit the mining vessels to have them push to PL. Also, you should visit the vessels that produce things before you visit vessels that consume things.

WOLF does make this a bit better because when you make resources in WOLF, they are always there. But, you need hoppers to transfer these resources out of WOLF, and they work on a time based rate. So, you don't have to worry about the producing part, but you still have to oversee the consuming part.

I see I see ^^

Atm my plan for the base is to have it be self sufficient and produce enrichment uranium to sell it to the highest bidder

So I am not 100% sure how it works and stuffs, I can use both systems at the same time, I persume ?

1 minute ago, Gilph said:

WOLF greatly, greatly reduces performance impact.

It actually improves performance ? 

That's fancy!

2 minutes ago, Yuubari_ said:

I see!

I mean it is okay how it is but it would be great for having it run in the background ^^

The question is how does one set up the WOLF stuff ?

Because for example the "greenhouses" (forgot how to spell the correct thing) also aren't running in the background to supply food to the kerbals.

Is it adviceable to use WOLF or does it have too much of an performance impact ?

True background processing is a save killer.  Stock's compromise is to do a catch-up in (roughly) four hour chunks while vessels are in focus, and MKS leverages stock.  WOLF solves this by removing the temporal element (and tbh, WOLF was one of the thoughts I had when I built stock, but it's limitations are why it could not be stock - that is, it is completely decoupled from stock systems that manage things like batteries and (especially) solar panels).

for WOLF see the wiki and experiment.

For greenhouses, if you are using USI-LS, it works the same way as stock, so the two dovetail really well.   USI-LS is just an extension of the stock base converter classes :)

WOLF has like... zero perf impact.  That was the other problem we solved with it.  It's super performance and safe file friendly, and you can do massive infrastructure expansion with essentially zero impact.  But it comes with it's own set of design constraints (which are totally worth it IMO - MKS and WOLF are like peanut butter and jelly... or jelly and peanut butter!).

Just now, Yuubari_ said:

So I am not 100% sure how it works and stuffs, I can use both systems at the same time, I persume ?

yep...although there was no WOLF method of producing nuclear fuel, but that may have been fixed. Everything else needed for self sufficiency can be done by WOLF from a resource perspective. The hab/home stuff for Kerbals not in the WOLF world is only handled by  Colony Supplies, so I usually use MKS parts to really max out hab/home and get my other resources from WOLF

WOLF seems like a completely different beast!

I am looking forward to experimenting with it!

Just seems to be a wall of stuff to learn and understand but I know it will be fun!

It just kinda sounded like it would have impact on the performance when you have literally everything in the background but I see now!

It is my first time going indepth in the mod, so it is a lot of stuff to learn and figure out but I am enjoying the challenge!

That brings me to one general question/concern I have/had with the life support/hab time, how does it work when for example I have a big mission with lots of hab time and supplies, and I sent my kerbals down to a planet from that "mothership", how does it change/apply there ?

5 minutes ago, Yuubari_ said:

That brings me to one general question/concern I have/had with the life support/hab time, how does it work when for example I have a big mission with lots of hab time and supplies, and I sent my kerbals down to a planet from that "mothership", how does it change/apply there ?

The Home timer is based on the 'best' vessel each kerbal has been on since last leaving Kerbin, and it never re-sets(but it can be frozen with 5+ years of hab(1+ year for pilots), or reversed with colonization parts+colony supplies).

The Hab timer is re-set every time you change vessels.  Note: KSP some times does not always count things to be a vessel change when you expect it to, so EVA is a good idea before heading down on a lander, as that always counts as a vessel switch and will reset your hab timer.

If your lander does not have supplies, your kerbals will start their starvation timer(default is 2 weeks), but that will reset when they get back to a vessel with supplies.