[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

With the release of "Final Countdown" and ten years of KSP behind us, I'd like to again thank you @RoverDude for the contributions you've made and happiness you've created with this mod and the many others, not to mention your work on the game itself. I'm enjoying the beta Constellation release, and look forward to see what you think of and bring to KSP 2.

I can't make the Nom-O-Matic 5000 request the fertilizer.

I'm just playing around with MKS and try to set up a couple of contraptions that could augment each other on Minmus. The idea is to have one to mine and process gypsum into fertilizer while the second should be inhabited and be located within 150m to consume that. I made a couple of experiments and found the following:

1) if I don't enable the gypsum drill AND enable the gypsum->fertilizer converter AND drop a slightly filled gypsum container nearby then the gypsum is transferred to the gypsum consumer automatically a few seconds after touch down. Seems to happen in at least two steps - 90+% of gypsum is transferred at first and then eventually the rest.

2) however the produced  fertilizer is not transferred to the other lander even if that other lander runs out of it.

3) if I drop a fertilizer container nearby that doesn't help either. I tried both the full-to-the-brim and almost empty ones - doesn't make a difference. 

Since I already made sure that the problem is not with the logistic supplier I tend to think that may be the NoM 5000 logistic consumer is at fault, but I don't see why this should be a case. Could someone help me please?

In the screenshot below the problem is "missing fertilizer" string at the top-right.image.png

=========== UPDATE ===============

Stupid me! It's in the manual! I was able to fix my problem with adding a small empty saddle pack of fertilizer - and I see why.  The consumer MUST have a separate dedicated storage for the resource EVEN IF it has some built-in one.

Sorry for the noise.

Edited by snakeru
stupid me

Just wanted to share some experience. I'm trying to construct something without KIS/KAS because the game now has these features integrated.

1) the MKS parts are not marked as manipulable in EVA. There is a mod from LGG - KSP_PartVolume, that adds this marker to all parts. It is for 1.12 though and MKS doesn't currently work well in 1.12*. Fortunately, if you delete the mod's DLL then the rest of configuration files are enough to make the MKS parts manipulable. You can't put them into inventory but that's kinda OK.

2) Inflatable parts are "constructed" in the same state that they were in the VAB. That is - if you launched your craft with the part already deployed, and then deflated it in flight - then you can cheat around the MaterialKits requirement by detaching and reattaching the part - it will reattach already deployed. The opposite is true as well - if you launched your craft with undeployed parts (usually the case) - don't touch them after deploy, otherwise you'll loose these MaterialKits you spent for deployment.

*I guess it's a known issue - after you launch your first ship you get stuck and can neither recover the craft nor easily return to KSC. There is an NRE in logs:

Spoiler

[EXC 07:53:04.048] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        ModuleDeployablePart.AssumeDragCubePosition (System.String name) (at <fd4164099a0c4de19878756a84248e37>:0)
        DragCubeSystem+<RenderDragCubes>d__34.MoveNext () (at <fd4164099a0c4de19878756a84248e37>:0)
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <2425394cf09642369e2109953e31f62b>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
        <RenderDragCubesCoroutine>d__31:MoveNext()
        <SetupDragCubeCoroutine>d__46:MoveNext()
        <CompileParts>d__56:MoveNext()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

Edited by snakeru

I had an idea while telling a friend about a Mun base I recently started, the Ranger comm-lab has very little data storage, so an inflatable lab for the Ranger parts similar in size(inflated) to the habitation module would be quite nice to have.

Would also be great if it could have the option of more scientists or more data storage

Edited by Nyarlathotep-

55 minutes ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I had an idea while telling a friend about a Mun base I recently started, the Ranger comm-lab has very little data storage, so an inflatable lab for the Ranger parts similar in size(inflated) to the habitation module would be quite nice to have.

Would also be great if it could have the option of more scientists or more data storage

Isn't that just a miniature lab?  So if you want the bigger version, just use the stock lab(2 scientists, and lots more science storage, but not inflatable)

23 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Are you on the pre-release or no?  Reason I am asking is that I've been doing complete base assembly in the prerelease without issue...

No, I'm a regular user:

Kerbal Space Program - 1.11.2.3077 (LinuxPlayer) en-us

I just had a clean install, then added MKS (and eventually also AutoLoadGame and KSP_PartVolume).

5 hours ago, snakeru said:

No, I'm a regular user:

I just had a clean install, then added MKS (and eventually also AutoLoadGame and KSP_PartVolume).

Ok - tbh I would nab the pre-release due to the level of goodness in it :)  We've been working on a CI build (bleeding edge downloads) and some last part textures before it goes to showtime.

57 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Ok - tbh I would nab the pre-release due to the level of goodness in it :)  We've been working on a CI build (bleeding edge downloads) and some last part textures before it goes to showtime.

Ah, so that was actually a proposal to upgrade to some prerelease! I thought you are asking me if I'm on some obsolete version.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try! I had no idea that prerelease builds are available to general public.

@RoverDude, by "prerelase" you meant the tip of the github repo, right? That one has a "small" problem: the USIToolsUI.dll is missing which causes a number of problems. I was able to fix that by pulling the dll from the corresponding repo (along with russian translation file).

Thank you! (and while at it I noticed that 1.12.1 is out so that one is upgraded, too)

===== UPDATE:
Another small problem is that minitruss and multitruss have exactly same volume (1000L) when packed into standard KSP inventory.   I'd set the minitruss to be 500L.

Edited by snakeru

On 7/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, Terwin said:

Isn't that just a miniature lab?  So if you want the bigger version, just use the stock lab(2 scientists, and lots more science storage, but not inflatable)

The stock lab isnt really good for surface bases in my opinion, it seems more like it belongs on stations and ships, and as you said, its not inflatable

Is there any way to use the new konstructor without having all the materials immediately available? Especially with WOLF infrastructure to deliver a steady supply of matkits it seems silly to have to build a million units’ worth of storage to construct a moderately sized ship.

1 hour ago, OldSedan said:

Is there any way to use the new konstructor without having all the materials immediately available? Especially with WOLF infrastructure to deliver a steady supply of matkits it seems silly to have to build a million units’ worth of storage to construct a moderately sized ship.

Ship up what you need.  And much like reality, it's going to be more expensive to build something in orbit from scratch with zero supporting infrastructure.  I'd start with at least matkit production.  The other resources are there primarily as cost sinks.

Re the storage, shipyard construction is big.  So I'd expect storage capacity to be commensurate.  At this time there's no partial-assembly option, though we've talked about an option to facilitate stockpiling.

I'm a little confused on Quartermaster functionality. 

I've contributed to planetary logistics with Ore and LFO using a multi-ship mining/refining base in Mun's Farside Crater. 

If I put a refining base in Mun's Midlands, with a Quartermaster in it, and turn on Planetary Logistics for its storage modules, will it automatically draw Ore from the quantity the other base uploaded? Or do I need a specific component on the Midlands base to get the Ore,  like a Ranger,  Duna, Tundra, etc part?

How do I get the LFO out of the uploaded quantity if I'm not using it in an industrial process? 

Edited by Kharn

51 minutes ago, Kharn said:

I'm a little confused on Quartermaster functionality. 

I've contributed to planetary logistics with Ore and LFO using a multi-ship mining/refining base in Mun's Farside Crater. 

If I put a refining base in Mun's Midlands, with a Quartermaster in it, and turn on Planetary Logistics for its storage modules, will it automatically draw Ore from the quantity the other base uploaded? Or do I need a specific component on the Midlands base to get the Ore,  like a Ranger,  Duna, Tundra, etc part?

How do I get the LFO out of the uploaded quantity if I'm not using it in an industrial process? 

Hi, the short answer is, yes, things that get uploaded to PL can get download to other factories in other biomes if there is a demand for it. It is a pull function.

The longer answer is that you have to do some planning. You will need to calculate how much ore is being consumed per Kerbin day and have roughly 2x of storage in your refining base (as a general rule of thumb) in order to run at continuous capacity. Also, you will need to first load the FC mining base first to allow the catch up processing to send the ore to PL before you load the Midlands vessel  to pull it.

WOLF is designed to reduce or eliminate those details and make things more straightforward.

To add - PL does not support extraction other than as part of a reaction chain (and it is something that will probably be deprecated since WOLF does it all so much better).  If you want output directly from production, WOLF Hoppers are the way to go.  For your situation, having the Ore->LFO converter in MKS land would pull Ore from Planetary Storage and generate the LFO locally.