[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

19 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

I always refuel to avoid making transport credits. 

This allows zero-cost transfers for routes that can be managed with a single stage vehicle.

I don't think that Real Solar System will allow for a low cost to orbit option due to the amount of staging involved.

Perhaps it would work better if the trip were broken into parts:

least-staging you can manage from KSC to orbit(with in-orbit refueling to further reduce costs)

From LKO to Mun orbit should be doable with 1 stage, so refueling in Mun orbit should allow a zero-cost transfer for this leg.

A single stage from Mun orbit to the surface should also be possible, so refueling should also allow this stage to be free.

Bon Voyage should allow using an electric rover to create zero-cost routes between surface biomes.

With refueling infrastructure in-place,  it should be fairly cheap to make any single-stage runs you can manage(as it would be in real life), but trying to land something on the Mun in RSS with no in-place fuel infrastructure will not be cheap.(in either funds or transport credits)

Yeah the one on Spacedock is old.

Most recent MKS is here (don't get scared by 'unstable' and 'bleeding edge' :sticktongue:)

Most recent constellation (all USI mods in one package is here)

edit: seems like the MKS link contains more than just MKS. You can 1) use the extra stuff because it's awesome, or 2) delete it.

Edited by modus

• 2 weeks later...

hello, ive got a problem with WOLF

so i am transfering 9 Units oxygen from Kerbin Grasslands to Kerbin Orbit, im using 1 Unit in Orbit 

The problem is now that the route im using full is, but i need to transfer 5 units water, my plan was now to cut back 8 oxygen to get some free space but WOLF says i cant delete the 9 oxygen transfer because im using 1 Unit of this oxygen.

How can i now delete the transfer of only 8 Units Oxygen?

I know i could simply build a new route, but thats not really a good solution

(sorry for my bad english)

15 hours ago, j169 said:

How can i now delete the transfer of only 8 Units Oxygen?

I had the same situation and could not find a way in game to fix. Did find a way to edit the save file.  However, wouldn't recommend that unless you were sure what you were doing (and, of course, save a backup before editing). 

One does not simply delete an already established route.

Spoiler

However, I'm not totally getting what you want to do. AFAIK you should be able to change the 8 oxygen to 0 and use the free space to transfer the 5 units of water. You're not using more TC that way. Can you maybe provide some screenshots of your problem?

1 minute ago, modus said:

Can you maybe provide some screenshots of your problem?

If you transfer 9 oxygen to a depot, then add a life support module, that uses one of the oxygen.  You can't then delete or edit the 9 oxygen transfer. 

Mr Rover,  What other mods do you recommend to play with for a rounded career mode kerbal colonization game? Mods that help in building Large ships and some progression to better and better engines .  Do you have a list of Other mods that you play with or ones that you feel would fit? 

11 hours ago, Infleto said:

Mr Rover,  What other mods do you recommend to play with for a rounded career mode kerbal colonization game? Mods that help in building Large ships and some progression to better and better engines .  Do you have a list of Other mods that you play with or ones that you feel would fit? 

tbh, other than QOL mods, I personally just play with the entire constellation as all of the bits work together.   Also I'd grab Community Tech Tree due to the amount of science added in by the USI Science bits.

Hey, so I am running a career mode save, 1.11.0 with galaxies unbound, OPT, extraplanetary launchpads, KSPI-E (with community resource pack and tech tree). I’ll be installing USI life support, and I was looking for a colony-building mod to round out my adventure and MKS is my go to. That being said, I have only ever played MKS without KSPI-E installed, and I haven’t really been able to find anything pertaining to compatibility. Sorry to be a bother, but are there any compatibility issues between MKS and KSPI-E, or should I be good to go?

3 minutes ago, Infleto said:

How well will your mod work with Extraplanetary launchpads?  And is it more fun?

Last I heard they are compatible, but MKS also includes ship and base building, so EPL is not needed with MKS.  (MKS is more feature-rich, with more resources, recipes, and with WOLF, you can even create 'background bases' which do not have any catch-up or rendering load.

Just now, Infleto said:

Neat, What about KAS or KIS are they already covered by this mod?

There is a stock replacement for KAS and KIS which is supported by MKS.

MKS previously supported KIS, so I do not think that the configs have been removed.

Note: Flexi-tubes are kraken bait!  MKS supports disconnected bases as an alternative that will not launch your base into orbit every time it comes into rendering range.

Just now, Infleto said:

Sorry for being a noob but how well will MKS play with Civilian Population Modernized? Will the USI lifesuport be an issue?  Can i still build massive bases with Civilian population mod with out needed to use EPL?

I know nothing about CPM, but MKS has Kolonists kerbals that are needed for some WOLF base functions, as well as providing all three types of colonization bonuses when in a normal/rendered base.  There is also a reproduction function of one of the Kolonization modules that can (slowly) increase your population without shipping in new kerbals.

In the newest versions of MKS, there are also large(20m?) dome components that can provide lots of production/living space/life support and are intended to be manufactured in-situ using MKS.

WOLF also supports shipping kerbals around between established spaceports in the background(using established transportation routes similar to the ones used to ship materials between biomes or planets).

Note: Wolf is the background/non-rendered portion of MKS that allows an inter-biome or inter-body support network that doe not need a lot of active maintenance.

2 hours ago, Infleto said:

Thank you all for the help,

Is there any config file for MKS and USI life support i can edit to a bit of an easier game?

If so what should I change it to?

for me : go in settings while in game and deactivate the use of mks machinery :)

I've mostly just used CKAN for my mods in the past and and still have plenty from there. But, I'd love to try out the latests USI suite when I start playing again after the holidays.

If I install the bleeding edge from October manually and use CKAN to load the rest of the updated mods and launch the game is everything going to be recognized as expected? Sorry, if this is an obvious question it is just something I haven't done before. :)

59 minutes ago, Zalym said:

I've mostly just used CKAN for my mods in the past and and still have plenty from there. But, I'd love to try out the latests USI suite when I start playing again after the holidays.

If I install the bleeding edge from October manually and use CKAN to load the rest of the updated mods and launch the game is everything going to be recognized as expected? Sorry, if this is an obvious question it is just something I haven't done before. :)

CKAN will often have difficulty identifying manually installed mods.

CKAN also will generally not be willing to replace/update manually installed mods, so as long as you keep an eye out for duplicate dependencies(like module manager), combining CKAN and manual installs  are usually not more problematic than other CKAN installs.