[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Yeah that's a bit messed up:P things are in things that should not be in things, and so on:D

It should be (purely looking at your screenshots):

• Kerbal Space Program (on whatever location you have it, I see you use your Steam folder, I'd recommend using another location for your modded installs)
    • Gamedata
      • 000_USI_Tools
      • CommunityCategoryKit
      • CommunityResourcePack
      • Firespitter
      • Squad
      • UmbraSpaceIndustries
        • Akita
        • FX
        • Karibou
        • Konstruction
        • Kontainers
        • MKS
        • ReactionPack
        • UsiCore
        • WOLF
      • ModuleManager.4.2.1.dll

So to summarize: you should put the contents of the 'Gamedata' of your last screenshot in the Gamedata of your second screenshot:D
A rule of thumb: you should never have a Gamedata in your Gamedata.

43 minutes ago, AW Kerman said:

Holy. Mother. Of. God. There's so much more here than that 7 year old video that I watched, absolutely fantastic! Any good documentation for where to start? I take it "Ranger" bases are smaller and easier to set up than than Duna or Atlas colonies? 

This is what put me off. I gave it a go a while back, but it was just too much to try and figure out on my own. I read through the stuff that was available, but it just didn't apply to the version I was using.

(EDIT: Too slow on my response to help with GameData)

Regarding game play, start with the basics: learn what is required for Life Support and Habitation to complete your short trips to the two moons. For trips to the Mun, you don't even need any additional parts if you don't stay too long. For trips to Minmus, you'll need to start worrying about bringing Supplies.

From there, start exploring the Ranger parts for first time bases, then move up to Duna and Tundra parts to allow longer stays away from Kerbin.

Most of all, have fun with it!

Edited by notthebobo
REmoved comments about GameData setup as they

On 1/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, RoverDude said:

Ngp7em1.png

Introduction

Interplanetary Colonization represents one of the largest technological and logistical challenges on the horizon for manned spaceflight. 

USI's Modular Kolonization System (MKS) provides a huge array of new gameplay systems and supporting parts to support the experience of designing, building, and maintaining interplanetary colonies in Kerbal Space Progam.

For over three years, MKS has been the definitive Colonization mod for KSP, with continued refinement of the parts and core systems (including the resource system now integrated in the stock game) based on extensive community feedback and continued development and design.

MKS is not a parts pack.  It is a gameplay mod that adds a massive amount of end-game content for KSP, and can serve as the perfect capstone for your career save.  It can be soul crushingly hard, and as unforgiving as gravity.  But it can also be an incredibly rewarding gameplay experience, bringing back that sense of wonder and accomplishment that many of us remember from our first Mun landing.

If you want a parts pack where your idea of a colony is landing a single ship and call it a day, this is probably not the mod for you.  If you want something that transforms your gameplay, and gives you unapologetically difficult goals where you have to juggle planning, logistics, and the harsh constraints imposed by space, then you will likely get as much enjoyment playing MKS as I have received building and designing it.

Features

MKS adds a rich array of new features to support the challenge of building interplanetary colonies, including:

• A huge assortment of parts suitable for surface and orbital bases and stations, drawing inspiration from real-world parts and concepts from Bigelow, NASA, and others.
  • A clear progression of parts, from simple outposts and mobile bases to larger manufacturing complexes and permanent colonies.
  • Extended ISRU operations with more resources and more complex harvesting, refining, manufacturing chains, and new mechanics.
  • Discoverable resource lodes for more interactive resource harvesting and exploitation
  • Customizable and field-configurable converters and harvesters to allow post-launch customization of your colony.  
  • Tools for handling large bases, such as ground tethering and automated resource transfers for disconnected bases
  • Tools for building out your base In-Situ with harvested resources, whether it's by expanding and kitting out modules, or through in-situ construction via the bundled Ground Construction mod by @allista
  • Parts and tools for contructing bases including weldable ports, magnetic couplers, and heavy construction equipment via the bundled Konstruction mod.
  • Parts for mobile bases via the bundled Karibou Expedition Rover
  • Expanded Kerbal traits and effects in support of Kolonization
  • Comprehensive and seamless integration with USI Life Support, including life support, habitation, and homesickness.
  • Kolony rewards, providing ever increasing efficiencies as well as tangible bonuses in career mode, as your Kerbals gain experience colonizing other planets and moons.
  • The ability to support permanent colonies as well as ark-ships as your Kerbals expand their knowledge and become more experienced with off-world colonies.
  • Part disassembly and recycling
  • Wireless power transmission and Geothermal wells
  • Equipment wear and tear along with manual and automated maintenance tools
  • And much more!

FAQ

I hear MKS is really complicated - is that true?
MKS has significant depth and breadth, but provided you don't try to do everything at once, you will find the learning curve can be pretty reasonable.  Start with life support, and don't get fixated on trying to build everything at once.  The patterns learned with a small base quickly scale for larger ones.

What about documentation?
Thanks to @dboi88, MKS enjoys full KSPedia documentation.
There's also an excellent community maintained wiki available here.
MKS Documentation even has its own development thread here.

I can't seem to fit a 100% self sufficient base in a single launch - what am I doing wrong?
Building a self sufficient colony is hard.  Like... REALLY hard.  It's going to take a lot of launches and a lot of work.  The idea of MKS is that it is not about plunking down a base and being done.  Rather, it's the journey to get to that point that is the fun bit.  So yeah... you are going to need a few more rockets.

I can't find a place to create my base that has all of the resources!  
Good.  Now you get to enjoy some of the challenges that result from resource constraints.  Do you ship things in?  Do you set up multiple bases?  Or use low-efficiency harvesting to get trace materials and salvage the rest from scrapped components?

I feel overwhelmed... I try to make a base, and it seems I just need so many different parts!
Start small.  Start with just a habitation module or two and ship in supplies.  Then add some agroponics and ship in fertilizer.  Once you get those down pat, you are ready for more complex systems.

I am still lost - where can I get help?
Ask in this thread.  A lot of the folks here have been using MKS in their games for years, and are a pretty friendly lot.

This looks amazing, and I didn't have any plans for my weekend anyway - where do I get this stuff?
Great question!  Links are below :D

Download Links

Use any of the links below to download this mod, or pick it up via CKAN.

zGVS35q.png     JGB3aUC.png   

Source Code and Change Log

zTVRNvJ.png     lgLg46q.png

Donation Info!

If you like what you see, and want to help out (or just buy me a beer!), please consider donating, either via PayPal or Patreon.  

M9m07Qw.png    jQeqsVo.png

License Information

• Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license (see attached).
  • Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)
  • This mod redistributes Firespitter, which is covered under its own license.
  • This mod redistributes ModuleManager, which is covered under its own license.
  • This mod redistributes Ground Construction, which is covered under its own license.

NOTICE:  This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

this mod does not work for me any idea how to make it work?

You're being kinda vague so not really sure where it goes wrong, but:

• make sure you have the latest release https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases 
  • make sure you install correct: this is from a few posts up, note that the MKS release contains a bunch of other (very cool) USI mods, if you don't want them just delete them
On 12/31/2021 at 10:04 AM, modus said:

It should be:

• Kerbal Space Program (on whatever location you have it, I'd recommend not using you steam folder for your modded installs)
    • Gamedata
      • 000_USI_Tools
      • CommunityCategoryKit
      • CommunityResourcePack
      • Firespitter
      • (Squad) ==> is is gamedata by default
      • (Squadexpansion) ==> is in gamedata by default if you have DLCs
      • UmbraSpaceIndustries
        • Akita ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • FX ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • Karibou ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • Konstruction ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • Kontainers ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • MKS
        • ReactionPack ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
        • UsiCore
        • WOLF ==> if you don't want this, just delete it
      • ModuleManager.4.2.1.dll

A rule of thumb: you should never have a Gamedata in your Gamedata!

• Dive into the rabbithole
  • Come tell us how awesome it is
Edited by modus

having a problem with the mks drills, from what i understand the 2 larger drills are meant to have 3 bays or more, which used to be the case in my game, but now they all give me the option to use only 1 bay

4 hours ago, gil said:

having a problem with the mks drills, from what i understand the 2 larger drills are meant to have 3 bays or more, which used to be the case in my game, but now they all give me the option to use only 1 bay

That's a fairly recent change to help address some other problems with heat management, ect.

I'm having trouble with passenger routes. Having established a small number of routes, I'm now in the situation of trying to use them but the routes I want do not show up.

As an example I have a route from KSC to Kerbin Orbit with 7 luxury seats, a second KSC to Kerbin Orbit route with 54 economy seats, a 90 seat economy route from Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit, and a 7 seat luxury route from Kerbin Orbit to Mun Orbit.

I now have a Kerbal in my Kerbin Orbit passenger terminal, and I want to send them from Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit. When I have the Kerbin orbit passenger terminal active and open the Crew Transfers window, I can only see the two flights from KSC to Kerbin Orbit. There is no option to prepare the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight for boarding.

When I have the Minmus terminal active, I can see the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight, but it's only in the "boarding" state and I can't select kerbals to board that flight (because the Minmus terminal is the destination not the origin, and the Kerbin orbit terminal isn't in range).

How do I board passengers on the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight (flight 9E9 in my save)?

edit: okay now I've fiddled around a bit and between selecting different departure/arival body/biome options and changing scenes I can now only see the 9E9 flight in the crew transfer window.

When opening the Crew Transfer window from the toolbar button I seem to get results along the lines of "whatever filter was last applied". When opening the Crew Transfer window from the "show terminal window" action in the WOLF Terminal's PAW it appears to apply filters for flights arriving at this terminal. At this stage I can see both the luxury and economy flight from KSC to Kerbin Orbit from both the KSC and Kerbin Orbit terminals. I can only see the Kerbin Orbit to Mun/Minmus Orbit from the Mun terminal or Minmus terminal respectively.

Terminal id strings:

• Kerbin KSC b048aa068e0847c3a0b3cfe22cbcb06e
  • Kerbin Orbit 9be547e9cfcb4d2fa0c1647b11104d76 and e7f6e2ed43eb49469c570a461b467292
  • Minmus Orbit 3590dd2e4de84038a7f1549415c26332
  • Mun Orbit 440f26969dc5450a9fbe2f07ad12088d

The 9be547 Kerbin Orbit terminal doesn't exist in the save, so I deleted that TERMINAL definition from the TERMINALS node in the save and reloaded.

Immediately after the reload I'm in the "space centre" scene. When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar, the only flights visible are 2Y4 and 9UN being the economy and luxury flights from KSC to Kerbin Orbit.

I then switch to the Tracking Station and fly the Minmus Shipyard vessel (which is the Minmus passenger terminal). When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar, the only flights visible are 2Y4 and 9UN.

Then I open the (Minmus Passenger) Terminal's PAW and select "show terminal window" and the Crew Transfers window opens up with the Kerbin Orbit -> Minmus Orbit flight 9E9 visible. Changing the Departures and Arrivals dropdowns has no effect on the displayed Flights.

I then switch to the Tracking Station and fly the Mun Passenger Terminal vessel. When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar the only flight visible is Kerbin Orbit -> Minmus Orbit flight 9E9. Changing the Departures and Arrivals dropdown has no effect on displayed flights.

Then I open the (Mun Passenger) Terminal's PAW and select "show terminal window" and the Crew Transfers window opens with the same detalis as when opened from the toolbar. Changing departures and arrivals dropdowns has no effect on displayed flights (only the 9E9 flight is listed under Flights).

And that's my KSP play time for today.  Time for my day job.

Here's the relevant section of the save, just in case this helps figure out what's going on.

Spoiler
	SCENARIO
	{
		name = WOLF_ScenarioModule
		scene = 6, 7, 5, 8
		CREWROUTES
		{
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 6772761.2674578931
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Kerbin
				Duration = 102267.89783466281
				EconomyBerths = 54
				FlightNumber = 2Y4
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 0
				OriginBiome = KSC
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = 55dd7a5c8d5c4e8180afc9acd97cab66
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 0
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Minmus
				Duration = 1636142.3251785911
				EconomyBerths = 90
				FlightNumber = 9E9
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 0
				OriginBiome = Orbit
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = cc849f1277eb4a0da6073315d5c126fd
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 13473968.82141884
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Kerbin
				Duration = 21600
				EconomyBerths = 0
				FlightNumber = 9UN
				FlightStatus = Enroute
				LuxuryBerths = 7
				OriginBiome = KSC
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = fd5dba2dd1d54719be6a945130f6f7f8
				PASSENGERS
				{
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Aldtop Kerman
						DisplayName = Aldtop Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Technician
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Andrea Kerman
						DisplayName = Andrea Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Scientist
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Ergard Kerman
						DisplayName = Ergard Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Farmer
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Henby Kerman
						DisplayName = Henby Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Mechanic
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Lanfrod Kerman
						DisplayName = Lanfrod Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Kolonist
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Macfurt Kerman
						DisplayName = Macfurt Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Engineer
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Mardon Kerman
						DisplayName = Mardon Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Miner
						Stars = 5
					}
				}
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 13364159.130969318
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Mun
				Duration = 43428.253153186291
				EconomyBerths = 0
				FlightNumber = 1XS
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 7
				OriginBiome = Orbit
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = e8eb4d12815d4d94aad87444cfbe0792
			}
		}
Edited by JamesonKerbal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 
I hope I can explain well in English…

I´m a veteran KSP Player, but I did´t play since KSP 1.9. Normally, I can find solution for all problems I had, but in this case I don´t know how solve this…
I´m doing test my habitual mods, like MKS, and his new features, for my future save game and I found some problems:
With KonFabricator… When I try to use this function, the KonFabricator windows show me: “Engineer not found in active Vessel”, and I can´t use them.
This happened with the three parts (KF-250, KS-250 and KS-500)
And when I try to freeze some Kerbals with USI LS, the game not find a scientific in the vessel…

Spoiler

7Mk4Sez.png

But, of course, there are some engineers and scientific on board.

I downloaded all USI mods (last releases) from: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries
I know I had installed “unsteable release”, but I think nobody wrote about this problems… (except this… https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/issues/1516 )

I´ve installing and uninstalling a lot for mods for test them and for can open older ships, but, somebody can give me some clue about where could have the problems.

Actual mod list:

Spoiler

Folders and files in GameData:
000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_Harmony
000_TexturesUnlimited
000_Toolbar
000_UICore
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
999_KSP-Recall
B9PartSwitch
Chatterer
Coatl Aerospace
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConformalDecals
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicScienceAnimate
DMagicUtilities
DynamicBatteryStorage
EasyVesselSwitch
EditorExtensionsRedux
Firespitter
FlightPlan
FP_DPSoundFX
HeatControl
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes
JanitorsCloset
KAS
KerbalAtomics
KerbalFoundries
KerbalHacks
KerBalloons
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KerbetrotterLtd
KIS
KSP-AVC
KspCraftOrganizer
KSPRanks
KSPRescuePodFix
KSPWheel
LETech
MainSailor
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
ModularLaunchPads
NavyFish
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
NEBULA
Nereid
PhantomAerospace
ProceduralFairings
ProceduralFairings-ForEverything
ProceduralParts
RealChute
REPOSoftTech
ReStock
ReStockPlus
SCANsat
Shabby
ShipManifest
SpaceTuxLibrary
Stock folder: Squad
Stock folder: SquadExpansion
SSTU
StagedAnimation
StationPartsExpansionRedux
StationPartsExpansionReduxIVAs
StationScience
STMRibbons
StretchySNTextures
TacFuelBalancer
TarsierSpaceTech
TextureReplacer
TriggerTech
TweakScale
TweakScaleCompanion
UmbraSpaceIndustries
UniversalStorage2
VesselNotes
Waterfall
WaterfallRestock
ZeroMiniAVC
[x]_Science!
999_Scale_Redist.dll
FinalFrontier.dat
ModuleManager.4.2.1.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
toolbar-settings.dat

UPDATE: I had uninstalled KSP and do a clean install, now only "Unstable Release 112.0.1-bleeding-edge.3" is installed and the problem persist...

UPDATE 2: somedays later, I decided try with "Constellation", Unstable Release 112.0.1-bleeding-edge.2, from here

And the result was the same... 

Edited by ninleafar
I did a clean install

On 1/17/2021 at 5:50 AM, roffl8 said:

Hey, when recovering Containers from your mod i get negative funds back. Tried to recover mined Exotic Minerals and instead went bankrupt

20210117114221_1.jpg

20210117114304_1.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask and not some other Mod causing this. Other mods i have: KSPI-E, Near Future, GU, KAS 

I've been scouring for a resolution to this, but no luck.  Has anyone found a workaround?

2 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

I've been scouring for a resolution to this, but no luck.  Has anyone found a workaround?

Have you tried the following?

RefundingOnRecovery [KSP 1.11.0 - 1.12.3]
Vessel recovery funds properly account for modules implementing IPartCostModifier. This bug affect stock fairings, cargo parts and many modules from various mods (part switchers and procedural parts mods, USI, Kerbalism, Tweakscale, etc).

Anyone know if there's a way to get methane (from Nertea's mods) into the USI warehousing system?  I'd like to use local/planetary logistics to manage methane stocks, but I don't see Nertea's cryo fuel (LCH4) as an option in Bob's Kontainer Tanks, and Nertea's tanks don't participate in USI Warehouse.

Any leads appreciated - not scared of diving into configs as necessary, but not smart enough to deconstruct and figure out what needs to go where.

5 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Anyone know if there's a way to get methane (from Nertea's mods) into the USI warehousing system?  I'd like to use local/planetary logistics to manage methane stocks, but I don't see Nertea's cryo fuel (LCH4) as an option in Bob's Kontainer Tanks, and Nertea's tanks don't participate in USI Warehouse.

Any leads appreciated - not scared of diving into configs as necessary, but not smart enough to deconstruct and figure out what needs to go where.

Module Manager.

Heyo!

I was wondering about the background production of resources, how does it work exactly ? (and not talking about wolf)

To explain what I mean is when using the planetary warehouse I had it some time ago that I just had to switch to my miners to transfer it into it, all that was mined over that period of time ?

Or does it have to do with the energy production, since I am using KSPIE fusion reactors with their generators and not solar panels or stock/USI ways of powergeneration

Any suggestion/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also this seems a little weird ? (reports no rate and is still mining)

unknown.png

Edited by Yuubari_

3 hours ago, Yuubari_ said:

Heyo!

I was wondering about the background production of resources, how does it work exactly ? (and not talking about wolf)

To explain what I mean is when using the planetary warehouse I had it some time ago that I just had to switch to my miners to transfer it into it, all that was mined over that period of time ?

Or does it have to do with the energy production, since I am using KSPIE fusion reactors with their generators and not solar panels or stock/USI ways of powergeneration

Any suggestion/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also this seems a little weird ? (reports no rate and is still mining)

unknown.png

Background production uses the stock system - that is, a catch-up mechanic when a ship is in focus.  Same way stock drills and ISRU work.

Hi everyone, 
I have this problem with resources..

Extraplanetary launchpads is using Metal Ore,Metal  and RocketParts as consumables for building stuff .  And I know that with MKS installed it should transition to using Material kits and SP... But it does not . Same thing with Planetary base systems parts...  not using MaterialKits and SpecializedParts....Maybe I am doing something wrong?  Tried surfing every wiki, but cant find a solution...

in the most popular MKS guide there is a screenshot of EL using there resources.

Also I found some patches  that should work \GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\Patches\PatchManager but in my game they do not , like deleting EL parts (Some thing with Firespitter parts, but I dont know if this is related)

Edited by Distriaction