[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 minutes ago, GDorn said:

My pulse drills have no mechanism for starting them.  I launched with them configured for MetallicOre, grappled an asteroid, and nada. 

Unless things have changed, MKS drills do not work on non-planetary bodies.

The stock drills are the only way to harvest asteroids, but I think? that they will fill any sort of ore storage you have on-board.

15 hours ago, JamesonKerbal said:

The Bleeding Edge version has orbital ship yards which gives you the ability to build ships in orbit, though the mechanism is different to the old DIY pack + workshop approach. You just provide the materials and the ship pops into existence near the shipyard. Building things on the ground is gone for now.

Kind of a shame you cant build stuff on the ground anymore. But thanks for the answer! What are the orbital shipyard parts called? 

4 hours ago, GDorn said:

My pulse drills have no mechanism for starting them.  I launched with them configured for MetallicOre, grappled an asteroid, and nada.  There's also no button for changing their type (to switch back to Ore in case that was the problem) despite having the MaterialKits and SpecializedParts on-board to do so.  Is this a mod conflict, a bug, or just normal behavior and I'm missing something?

No amount of retracting/deploying or reloading saves fixes it.  The vehicle has no Engineers on board, but I inferred from the description that that isn't needed for the `-A` variants.

I feel like the problem is likely the fact that you're trying to drill an asteroid. Unless MKS adds Resources to asteroids as well as planets.

8 hours ago, cactuscrazez said:

Kind of a shame you cant build stuff on the ground anymore. But thanks for the answer! What are the orbital shipyard parts called? 

@RoverDudehas it on his roadmap, I believe (soonTM ). 

The orbital shipyard is the Konstructor (from the Konstruction mod).

19 hours ago, RedDwarfIV said:

I feel like the problem is likely the fact that you're trying to drill an asteroid. Unless MKS adds Resources to asteroids as well as planets.

Shouldn't I at least be able to switch the drills to ore mode?  The asteroid clearly has ore; a second vessel is extracting that already.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, cactuscrazez said:

What are the orbital shipyard parts called? 

In the "Konstruction" grouping in the VAB or SPH (crossed hammer and wrench icon) you'll find the "KS-250-O KonStructor - Orbital Shipyard" and the "KS-500-O KonStructor - Orbital Shipyard". The KS-250-O is a 2.5m part, the KS-500-O is a 5m part. At present the description suggests that the KS-250-O has restrictions on the size of craft you can construct but I've yet to build something that the KS-250-O can't handle -- though the biggest things I've built to date are ~600t with ~200 parts.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, GDorn said:

Shouldn't I at least be able to switch the drills to ore mode?  The asteroid clearly has ore; a second vessel is extracting that already.

As yet another followup, I flew an engineer out there, which unlocked the ability to change drill modes.  I changed it to ore, but the drills still refused to do anything.

Perhaps the description should be updated to mention that they simply don't work for asteroids under any circumstances, even if the asteroid contains the resource you are mining for.

Edited by GDorn

On 2/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, wasmic said:

Is it on purpose that the Bleeding Edge download contains the entire Firespitter mod, rather than just the Firespitter.dll file? I wasn't intending to go all wild with propeller planes just now :p

If you're getting the whole constellation, yes.  If you're getting the individual MKS bleeding edge then no :)

Just added MKS to a fresh instal, Just MKS from Github and Squad in GameData. KSP v1.12.3.

But while the parts show up, they do not have any manufacturing capability, say the Tundra Assembly Plant. The infatable parts do not work either.

What am I missing here? Never mind, I guess it jsut doesnt work work with the latest KSP. Unless an update for the mod is comming soon, I will have to revert to KSP 1.11

Edited by Kaspar

7 hours ago, Kaspar said:

Just added MKS to a fresh instal, Just MKS from Github and Squad in GameData. KSP v1.12.3.

But while the parts show up, they do not have any manufacturing capability, say the Tundra Assembly Plant. The infatable parts do not work either.

What am I missing here? Never mind, I guess it jsut doesnt work work with the latest KSP. Unless an update for the mod is comming soon, I will have to revert to KSP 1.11

As noted - you're missing stuff.  Works fine with 1.12.  

Grab the full release zip from here:  https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/releases/tag/v112.0.1-bleeding-edge.3

Would it be possible to branch of WOLF into a stand-alone, slapping :NEEDS[MKS] on a bunch of things so it can be used with just the stock resource chains? (Basic ISRU, fuel cells, no machinery or crew points or life support, maybe the resource chains of a few mods like EL or USI-LS)

3 hours ago, Eddiedigits said:

What is RefundingForKSP? I have this entry in the Planetary Logisitics for my Mun base.

mks-refunding.png

Likely another mod.  Not us.

19 hours ago, Pod4898 said:

Can you make a colony base in one rocket or do you need to dock it piece-by-piece.

You can make anything in one rocket if you're industrious enough.  But as far as MKS goes - it's designed for multiple launches and gradually building up capabilities.

7 hours ago, Eddiedigits said:

What is RefundingForKSP? I have this entry in the Planetary Logisitics for my Mun base.

There's a KSP bug that miscalculates resources on return to KSP.   This addition to MKS addresses it without actually solving the problem, if I'm not mistaken.

Hi guys. I've spent hours reading the past 70 pages of the forum or so researching MKS, reading guides, wiki pages, and watching youtube. I have now been attempting a career game using this mod.

Sorry in advanced, if there are answers buried in here somewhere, or the wiki. The information absorbing has been overwhelming. Also having to determine whats up to date, and what is not.

I have most of the MKS resources unlocked, besides the refineries and the WOLF infrastructure. Which is still 9,000 science out. Due to this I'd like to start using drills/MPUs etc to get started towards resource gathering, before I get my WOLF system online.

I have two questions.

1: Is planetary logistics still used in MKS? Since WOLF essentially replaces it, along with not being able to see the planetary logistics referenced on any of the TUNDRA/DUNA components (only orbital). I'm not sure the best course of action for how to load out my mining operation, to establish a concentration point for all my resources to head to for the centralized base I want, once I turn WOLF on.

2: What is the intended mechanic for building infrastructure and physical items on surfaces? It looks like that used to be the function of workshops. I know you can build items that go into inventory but that seems pretty size limited and not intended for new buildings/rovers etc. I see there's an orbital shipyard but that doesn't seem intended for base additions. 

Huge shout out to Roverdude and Dr Krugg for an absolutely game changing amount of detail and work added to this game. Thank you.

@Kerbalkraut 

1. Planetary logistics is still a thing. It allows you to still use drills and other harvesters to collect resources, and share them with other bases on a planetary body that has a logistics module. This is totally independent of WOLF. It uses the stock resource model, so you have to be in range of a base for the resources to be collected. Once collected, however, they can be used elsewhere when you change focus to another consumer of those resources. WOLF (which I'm convinced stands for "Wow, Off-line Logistics, Finally! :wink:) runs independent of in-game focus. One you have a WOLF harvester going, you have that amount available from a WOLF bin.

2. The final on-planet large item builder is Coming SoonTM. As you point out, the workshop lets you build small things, but at the moment its not possible to attach enough storage to let you build items like the orbital workshops do.

Have fun!

16 hours ago, Kerbalkraut said:

@notthebobo

Thank you for your response. I wonder if the orbital shipyard can be used planet side as a temporary work around.

For the planetary logistics, your harvesters need a logistics module attached, to push the resources into the warehouses, that are connected to the logistics, right?

Great question about the orbital shipyard planetside, I haven't tried that.

I believe logistics module is only required for pull, and it needs a Kerbal at the helm (pilot?).

2 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

Great question about the orbital shipyard planetside, I haven't tried that.

I believe logistics module is only required for pull, and it needs a Kerbal at the helm (pilot?).

Last I checked, you need logistics to push as well, but it need not be manned.

The unmanned material processors have logistics to support pushing from unmanned processing facilities.