[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

9 minutes ago, heli said:

hey, a question, i always get the error message with Konstruktion "engineer not present in active vessel"
maybe it has something to do with the language? in German it means Techniker

ac6223319-2022-08-05.png

Sometimes it shows that message when there is another fault stopping production, in this case a lack of prototypes.

KoS

Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the new resource chain somehow.
Unfortunately, there are no instructions or diagrams for the new chain here, are there?

So I guess I have to test a lot first ;)
Would you advise not to use KIS and Global Construction anymore?
That could be the end of my old career game, let's see how/if I do it like that

USI is really epic, I'm very grateful for that and for any help here :)

3 hours ago, heli said:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess I'll have to take a closer look at the new resource chain somehow.
Unfortunately, there are no instructions or diagrams for the new chain here, are there?

WOLF uses exactly the same resources and materials that the MKS system uses, it just uses WOLF-specific parts to extract and process them.  The units represent materials over time instead of distinct chunks of something physical to avoid additional processing load, but that is the biggest difference between the two.   (use hoppers to convert WOLF materials into MKS materials)

3 hours ago, heli said:

So I guess I have to test a lot first ;)
Would you advise not to use KIS and Global Construction anymore?
That could be the end of my old career game, let's see how/if I do it like that

KIS has been generally supplanted by the stock inventory system.  I do not think that the actually conflict, but remembering what is in which sort of inventory and handling it appropriately could be a headache.

I believe USI now has it's own in-situ vessel construction mechanic, making GC redundant, but once again, I do not believe that they actually conflict, it is just that trying to actually use both at the same time may cause more headaches than it is worth, at least long-term. 

5 hours ago, heli said:

The wiki has a table in the Modules section that shows  which modules produce which resource. These are based on Roverdude's original diagrams.

1 hour ago, heli said:

ee1883311-2022-08-07-1.png

somehow i don't get it, always the message "engineer not present in active vessel"
when i try to produce parts and when i press the button "enable Konstruction" i get the same message

Just out of curiosity, can you make the parts with the Konstructor? (You'll have to make a ship with just that part)

Hello! I can't seem to get the Ranger Inflatable Workshop on my career save. I can see it in my sandbox save. How am I supposed to produce material kits otherwise? 

Also is there a good tutorial for Wolf in video form? Or am I supposed to literally put every wolf part of a certain scale on a vessel and fly that to a biome and plant it down? I just want to produce material kits lol and have no idea what's going on. 

5 hours ago, Qball said:

Hello! I can't seem to get the Ranger Inflatable Workshop on my career save. I can see it in my sandbox save. How am I supposed to produce material kits otherwise? 

Also is there a good tutorial for Wolf in video form? Or am I supposed to literally put every wolf part of a certain scale on a vessel and fly that to a biome and plant it down? I just want to produce material kits lol and have no idea what's going on. 

The tundra assembly plant also makes MK.

But I see you are a person of culture and want to go WOLF, so forget about workshops and such.

No video AFAIK but I would definitely check out this and remember: use the planner in the vab, you must.

Currently I am trying  Orbital Konstruction and am having problems with the "KS-500-O KonStructor". (After some tests, the same issue happens with the "KS-250-O KonStructor")

I am able to put crew into the part while in the VAB, but inflight, I can not transfer crew to the "KS-500-O KonStructor".

After using the Stock Transfer-Button, nothing happens, when I click on the KonStructor. I also tested the Mod "ShipManifest", but the KonStructor does not appear as a part in the transfer window.

I verified that this problem happens without any other installed mods.

Is this a known issue and if so, what is the best way to transfer crew to a "KS-500-O KonStructor"?

On 8/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, mhoram said:

Is this a known issue and if so, what is the best way to transfer crew to a "KS-500-O KonStructor"?

As far as I can see, the "seat" in the KonStructors is an accident. Kerbals will not show up as portraits if you assign them to that seat. There's no IVA seat so no portrait of the Kerbal in that module. Thankfully you can transfer them out of the part, just not into it.

update: this is wrong. The Konstructor actually does have a crew seat but you need to deploy the Konstructor (deposit the requisite materials) to make the seat available.

So the best way to handle KonStructors is to provide proper crew quarters elsewhere (eg: Hitchhiker Storage) and ignore that broken seat in the VAB.

Sorry this isn't the solution you're looking for.

I have a hard enough time voluntarily  transferring kerbals to any of the MKS modules because none of them have windows or IVA scenes. My poor Kerbals! The least I can do for them when sending them on decades-long missions is give them a window so they can see outside, and a hatch so they can go on EVA when they want to (none of the MKS modules have hatches either).

Edited by JamesonKerbal
correcting a false statement

3 hours ago, JamesonKerbal said:

So the best way to handle KonStructors is to provide proper crew quarters elsewhere (eg: Hitchhiker Storage) and ignore that broken seat in the VAB.

Thanks for your reply, so I am not the only one with this behavior. Unfortunately in order to use some konstruction-functionality of the KonStruktor, it is required, that a Engineer is in it - it is not sufficient, that an Engineer is on the Vessel in a different part.

I can see two possible solutions:

• Ability to move Kerbals into the KonStruktor (I don't know how to implement that)
  • KonStruktor should look in all parts of the vessel, if an Engineer is on board (I created a PR for this)

(I think this belongs in the Konstruction thread)

I've been using the Konstructor for a long time on a vessel without any crew at all. It works fine (do have some issues where the game gets sort of stuck when I Konstruct ships with certain parts, but that's another issue).

I have the latest version. Maybe it's because I've been using it since earlier versions, I don't know. 

7 hours ago, mhoram said:

Unfortunately in order to use some konstruction-functionality of the KonStruktor, it is required, that a Engineer is in it - it is not sufficient, that an Engineer is on the Vessel in a different part.

The KonStructor which builds ships doesn't need any crew at all.

The KonFabricator which manufactures individual parts does require an engineer, but I've managed to produce items while only having an engineer in the same vessel. In my test case the engineer was in another vessel which was docked with the vessel that had the KonStructor 250 (and that larger vessel was made up of multiple vessels docked together).

What are you doing that requires an Engineer in the KonStructor itself?

5 hours ago, JamesonKerbal said:

What are you doing that requires an Engineer in the KonStructor itself?

EVA-Konstruction receives a Bonus, only if an Engineer is in the KonStructor. See here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Konstruction/blob/eecfe00077c8c9f643b55d821c15fcaa53ee26f9/Source/Konstruction/EVA/ModuleKonstructionForeman.cs#L38

1 hour ago, mhoram said:

EVA-Konstruction receives a Bonus, only if an Engineer is in the KonStructor.

Hrm. I tried adding some attributes and modules to the KonStructor 250 part file but that didn't help with letting crew transfer into the module.

Perhaps ask on the Konstruction add-on thread about how that's supposed to work. Perhaps it's a bug (either having the non-functional crew slot, or requiring the engineer to be in that specific part, or something else).

Edit: solved - you need to deploy the KonStructor ("deposit resources" -- you will need 4000 Material Kits for the 250) and then it becomes a crewed component that you can transfer crew to/from. You'll also need to change scenes so that the spacecraft gets unpacked with the KonStructor deployed, so that the game knows you are supposed to be able to transfer crew in/out of the part.

Edited by JamesonKerbal

If I never have a nuclear powered rover exploding after switching to it at the end of a long route building trip, I'll be a happy Kerbal Space Commander.

My latest week of proof-playing my tutorial:

1. Nuclear powered rover exploding for no reason. I'm sure there's a reason, it's nuclear powered and has heaps of parts clipped into each other, it's being moved around by Bon Voyage, and it's huge (three x 5m WOLF Cargo Kontainers taped together) so somewhere in there is basically an open house invitation for the kraken to come play. I've handled it by switching on "unbreakable joints", "pause on unpack" and a couple of other cheats. Sometimes it loads just fine, other times I have to futz around for ages changing spawn-in height, turning rotation on or off (Bon Voyage will usually try to rotate the rover to the right angle for the terrain, turning that off means that a trip a quarter of the way around the globe will have your rover spawning in on its butt)
  2. WOLF doesn't seem to properly track which hoppers are connected to the depot so I've ended up having to backtrack multiple times to correct parts of my walkthrough when I checked the planner to find that I'm running 5 x 3.75m Material Kits hoppers with only 15 Material Kits abundance in the depot
  3. WOLF Passenger Routes are a pain. Building them is easy, but if I do something silly like build a 15-passenger capacity route between terminals with only 6 seats, I end up with "ghost crew" stuck in the route
  4. When I dock my "Reactor Maintenance" vessel (carries enriched uranium and an engineer to go power up the various nuclear-powered craft I've built) to my shipyard the entire assembly  starts shaking itself to pieces. I don't know if this is due to the enriched and depleted uranium containers being super heavy or something else about that vessel but whatever I dock that craft to ends up having major issues
  5. Does anyone know how to predict in advance which part is going to be the controller of a new vessel produced by docking two others together? The number of times I've realised half way through a maneuver node that my rocket engines are pointing the wrong way! Sigh.

Overall a simple thing like building a depot expansion lander, putting crew in it and landing that on the Mun or Duna is an operation I'd expect to take about 20 minutes ends up being two hours as I debug all the parts of KSP, MKS and WOLF that have to work together (along with my janky ship designs). Once it's completed I think the walkthrough will be a great integration test for the USI suite since it touches just about every feature.

Once I finish this "go big" walkthrough I'll do a career mode game just to see how much easier it is when you're building 5 cargo capacity routes instead of 50 capacity routes, and skipping passenger routes altogether. But before I do that I'll be trying to build minimal save games to reproduce the bugs I've encountered.

Remember, to beat the Kraken, save often!

9 minutes ago, JamesonKerbal said:

it's being moved around by Bon Voyage

Do you have World Stabilizer installed?  It helps a lot with Bon Voyage rovers. The mod is listed as max game 1.8.9 in CKAN but it was working for me in 1.11.2.  It "gently" lands rovers when coming out of a bon voyage journey.   

My (WIP) WOLF walkthrough. I'll be tidying this up over the next week, which will partly involve splitting the walkthrough document itself into pieces. I'm thinking intro/housekeeping/Kerbin stuff, minmus & mun expansion, Duna/wrap-up.

Once I have it better organised I'll update the walkthrough in the USI/WOLF Wiki.

And then I'll go look at what other people have done in the meantime and make sure to include those in the "also see" bit that I haven't written yet.

Further updates about the walkthrough will be via the GitHub site.

Hello!

I'm trying to use Wolf to collect ore so I can transport it back to my base. I have set up a depot on the Mun's southwest crater, which on the Wolf dashboard says it has an abundance of 75 Ore. I have landed a Harvesting hopper on the crater, but when I try to connect it to the depot it says that I need 2 more ore to connect. Looking at the planner, it states with the harvester that there is 0 incoming ore, outgoing is 0(-2) and that -2 is available. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

7 minutes ago, Qball said:

Hello!

I'm trying to use Wolf to collect ore so I can transport it back to my base. I have set up a depot on the Mun's southwest crater, which on the Wolf dashboard says it has an abundance of 75 Ore. I have landed a Harvesting hopper on the crater, but when I try to connect it to the depot it says that I need 2 more ore to connect. Looking at the planner, it states with the harvester that there is 0 incoming ore, outgoing is 0(-2) and that -2 is available. What is going on here and how do I fix it?

It sounds like you have not yet attached any harvesters to your WOLF depot.

Depot is just a base-station with a little bit of power.

To harvest resources you will need harvesters, which then make the resources available.  Once they are available, you can send them to hoppers, other depots, or use them to supply something that further process the raw materials.

Abundance just means how much you can harvest before the area is maxed out for that resource.

Edited by Terwin

38 minutes ago, Terwin said:

It sounds like you have not yet attached any harvesters to your WOLF depot.

Depot is just a base-station with a little bit of power.

To harvest resources you will need harvesters, which then make the resources available.  Once they are available, you can send them to hoppers, other depots, or use them to supply something that further process the raw materials.

Abundance just means how much you can harvest before the area is maxed out for that resource.

What part is the harvester? I assume I messed up by making the depot a harvester hopper, but I cant find the part that explicitly harvests resources. 

And if the harvesters are just drills, what parts are needed to connect them to the depot? -

Edited by Qball

2 hours ago, Qball said:

What part is the harvester? I assume I messed up by making the depot a harvester hopper, but I cant find the part that explicitly harvests resources. 

And if the harvesters are just drills, what parts are needed to connect them to the depot? -

According to https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Parts-(WOLF)#harvesters

You want 'WOLF MHU-100 Bulk Harvester' or 'WOLF MHU-500 Bulk Harvester' to collect resources available in a given biome. 

(I do not have access to my install at the moment, but I think they look a bit like the MKS 2.5m and 3.5m nuclear plants)

I have a few questions about the KonFabricator:

1) How do I add more volume to it? I have another container attached to the same vessel with 2500L of storage, but it says my KonFabricator can only create parts with 1200L volume max.
2) How do I get Alloys? Is the only way to recycle other parts containing Alloys?