[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

20 hours ago, jd284 said:

You should add all USI mods at once. They have multiple dependencies on each other, giving you the "assembly not found" errors if one is missing.

Or otherwise figure out each mod's dependencies individually and add those along with each mod that you want to install. That's going to be necessary for most non-trivial mods too, not just USI.  However most people just rely on CKAN to do this for them.

I tried installing all the USI mods that I could find and it threw even more errors into the mix.  Some I fixed by going into the folders and coping, moving, or flat deleting the problem children.  Sometimes I've even updated the CFG file because it was pointing to a folder that didn't exist or a texture.  Other times I've copied another texture file and named it what it was looking for in the place it was looking for it... But without an MU editor like Blender... there are just somethings I can't fix or change.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-TM3mph7veb_tRbzw37YjBXsoeaJpz5/view?usp=share_link

Has MKS its own extraplanetary construction functionality or do I need to get other mod for that functionality?

If I need other mod I am not sure which one to chose:
- Extraplanetary Launchpads: It has the recycler functionality so the built craft can be recycle in to rocket parts to be used again. But download link of this mod is broken.
- Global Construction: It does not seem to have recycler functionality.
- Simple Construction!:  It says it can conflict with MKS in its forum page. Also it lacks the recycler functionality.

Edited by CanOmer

12 hours ago, CanOmer said:

- Global Construction: It does not seem to have recycler functionality.

It does and it works even better than EL's in my opinion.

GC can deconstruct a specific part-tree via menu, so you can attach a new subassembly. You don't need a special recyler part, it's a function of the workshop.

Playing with the Wolf mechanisms, and I'm a bit confused. I've dug around the threads, and understand that resources are determined procedurally based on the stock game to some degree, but I thought there was still some correlation to the MKS resource system. Using SCANSAT for MKS works great, and I can find resources.
Using it for WOLF however, I seem to be missing something. 
Specifically, Highlands on Kerbin should have some concentration of ExoticMinerals and RareMetals, but performing a survey in that biome reveals the same standard resources found elsewhere on Kerbin between KSC and there (Shores, Grasslands). In order to create resources for ColonySupplies, those are required materials, but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, dlrk said:

Ranger airlock and related parts supposed to not be placed in a cargo container?

The cargo container is just a place to store things while moving them around (as long as the cargo container is big enough to hold the item you're moving). To use them you need to attach them to the outside of the craft.

2 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

Specifically, Highlands on Kerbin should have some concentration of ExoticMinerals and RareMetals … but I can't figure out what I'm missing.

WOLF intentionally deprives Kerbin biomes of Rare Metals and Exotic Minerals. You'll find plenty on the Mun or Minmus.

1 hour ago, JamesonKerbal said:

The cargo container is just a place to store things while moving them around (as long as the cargo container is big enough to hold the item you're moving). To use them you need to attach them to the outside of the craft.

WOLF intentionally deprives Kerbin biomes of Rare Metals and Exotic Minerals. You'll find plenty on the Mun or Minmus.

Huh, ok. What's the logic on this? How can you create colony supplies to ship to colonies?

15 minutes ago, WarrenSchultz said:

How can you create colony supplies to ship to colonies?

WOLF can create colony supplies via a fabricator attached to a Biome  with the WOLF resource inputs and running a Colony Supplies recipe.  These can be transported to another depot in another biome and eventually used by a base/station with the appropriate life support hopper to take the Colony Supplies from the depot.   

WOLF resources needed to make Colony Supplies; 

WOLF_RecipeOption
Colony Supplies
Needs:
 - Machinery: 5
 - Maintenance: 1
 - MaterialKits: 3
 - Power: 1
 - SpecializedParts: 2
 - TechnicianCrewPoint: 1
Provides:
 - ColonySupplies: 5

5 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

You mine them on bodies other than Kerbin.  If you could mine everything you needed on Kerbin, what would be the point?

Logistics costs? With the credit requirements to ship, it makes more sense for proceeding through the game to utilize off-world resources. But at earlier stages of Wolf establishment, you can't establish even a basic Kerbin orbit travel route without colony supplies, which seems a little silly. Scarcity makes sense, absence doesn't. Just like the real world. *shrug*

I can edit the savegame files to fix it to my own preference, it just doesn't fit with the existing logic of the resource system (nor the real world).

Just now, Caerfinon said:

WOLF can create colony supplies via a fabricator attached to a Biome  with the WOLF resource inputs and running a Colony Supplies recipe.  These can be transported to another depot in another biome and eventually used by a base/station with the appropriate life support hopper to take the Colony Supplies from the depot.   

WOLF resources needed to make Colony Supplies; 

WOLF_RecipeOption
Colony Supplies
Needs:
 - Machinery: 5
 - Maintenance: 1
 - MaterialKits: 3
 - Power: 1
 - SpecializedParts: 2
 - TechnicianCrewPoint: 1
Provides:
 - ColonySupplies: 5

Right, so, I may absolutely missing something here in the requirements, but how do you create Specialized Parts without those rare materials?

6 minutes ago, WarrenSchultz said:

but how do you create Specialized Parts

You use a WOLF bulk harvested set to Exotic Minerals recipe in a BIOME with the raw resources needed to make it. Not all Wolf Biomes contain all resources so you need to search for the right ones.  Until you find the right location to set up the WOLF operation you could use the standard MKS method at sites with a more localized resource sources.    

9 hours ago, WarrenSchultz said:

Logistics costs? With the credit requirements to ship, it makes more sense for proceeding through the game to utilize off-world resources. But at earlier stages of Wolf establishment, you can't establish even a basic Kerbin orbit travel route without colony supplies, which seems a little silly. Scarcity makes sense, absence doesn't. Just like the real world. *shrug*

If you place a refueling station in orbit and can get to orbit without staging anything off of your rocket, then you can refuel at the station and have a zero cost route to orbit.

The same can be done for other hops, you just need to put in infrastructure to support your low-cost/free shipping.

IRSU can be a great way to land for 'free'

Right, so, I may absolutely missing something here in the requirements, but how do you create Specialized Parts without those rare materials?

If I remember correctly, colony supplies are not a prerequisite for putting a kerbal in your depot, for that you just need habitation and life support, so colony supplies are a later game resource that requires an established off-world presence to produce.

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

If you place a refueling station in orbit and can get to orbit without staging anything off of your rocket, then you can refuel at the station and have a zero cost route to orbit.

The same can be done for other hops, you just need to put in infrastructure to support your low-cost/free shipping.

IRSU can be a great way to land for 'free'

If I remember correctly, colony supplies are not a prerequisite for putting a kerbal in your depot, for that you just need habitation and life support, so colony supplies are a later game resource that requires an established off-world presence to produce.

Interesting. Sort of gaming the system I think, without thinking through it fully. I hadn't thought of that.

I needed colony supplies to establish the departure terminal, which honestly surprised me as a prereq. Changing that would be the other way around to solve the problem.

45 minutes ago, WarrenSchultz said:

Interesting. Sort of gaming the system I think, without thinking through it fully. I hadn't thought of that.

I needed colony supplies to establish the departure terminal, which honestly surprised me as a prereq. Changing that would be the other way around to solve the problem.

Colony Supplies are needed for the luxury/tourist routes, which you really don't need to have early in game. I just started a new game in the last few weeks and have made the decision to just do economy crew routes and do any tourist transportation the non-WOLF way. 

2 hours ago, Parmenio said:

Colony Supplies are needed for the luxury/tourist routes, which you really don't need to have early in game. I just started a new game in the last few weeks and have made the decision to just do economy crew routes and do any tourist transportation the non-WOLF way. 

Ah! That's super helpful, thank you. I had one of both types of container, and the message doesn't specify which route requires the resource as far as I remember. 

Thanks!

I had one of both types of container, and the message doesn't specify which route requires the resource as far as I remember. 

All passenger routes require colony supplies and habitation, the Economy routes are 1 per passenger, the Luxury routes are 2 per passenger (30 Habitation, 30 Life Support, 30 Colony Supplies will buy you 30 economy seats or 15 luxury seats). For most passenger transport I just use rockets with lots of seats and passenger terminals with enough life support to maintain the crew until I want to use them. For crew destined for MKS or WOLF infrastructure I actually package them in a crew pod at Kerbin and transport that crew pod to avoid dealing with transferring crew between spacecraft. Passenger routes are a pointless waste of resources and you can't un-route later in the game so you set up a 200 day passenger route between Kerbin and Duna and by the time your first Duna crew arrives you've already finished Duna because you developed Torch Ships in the meantime.

Cargo routes are free, unless you consume mass on the route.

Note that WOLF may seem a bit weird in some ways when you're playing a sandbox game because it's designed as a way to reduce the part count of a complicated MKS game. WOLF doesn't become available in a career game until very late in the tech tree.

I have one game where I have three ships in the save game: one is the Kerbin shipyard which I used to build a self-contained mobile shipyard, one is the self-contained shipyard that I used to expand to Moho, the last is the torch ship I built at Moho, fuelled entirely from resources extracted using WOLF on Moho. Sandbox games don't make sense.

Edited by JamesonKerbal
left out stuff

On 11/23/2022 at 5:17 AM, JamesonKerbal said:

Sandbox games don't make sense.

Try playing career, makes even less sense.

Huge ISRU converters, tundra pioneer,PDU and storage  modules are unlocked for 90sci in tier 1 research centre.

First tiny drill is unlocked 2 research centre upgrades later for 550sci  together with  ranger "starter" ISRU converters and with WOLF cargo containers.  Where is the logic here?

I have a weird problem, I have set my Atlas Agri Module to produce organics through with Agriculture (S) but it's missing Organics! What the hell? I added some just in case and it ate them all without producing any!

I checked the code in Atlas module and it is what is should be but for some reason it asks organics to produce organics!

2 hours ago, alphaprior said:

I checked the code in Atlas module and it is what is should be but for some reason it asks organics to produce organics!

This is like when Whitney used his existing dirt to turn lithosphere + fertilizer into additional productive soil, so yes, you are expected to have some organics to start.

Check your bonuses, because if you do not have an appropriate Kerbal(Scientist or Farmer I think), then your production penalties could reduce your organics production below break-even, slowly draining your organics until empty.  (I do not remember the rates, but you may need a high-star kerbal to actually produce more organics)

Hey there

I guess this mod is up to date, as versions and CKAN suggests. 
I played KSP way way back then and now that I have unlocked almost the complete tech tree in my new career save, I want my toes to dip into USI/MKS again (like I did in the past). 

BUT: I am having a hard time to grasp it all. there´s a plethora of new parts. the documentation is non existant as all links referring to tutorials of documentation lead back to the main Git Page. 

could anyone point me towards some decent, still valid pointers on how to get a working and functioning base off the ground ? 

also: I see I can put stuff into the Kontainer parts. awesome. but how do I get them out insitu ? or what´s the idea behind this all ? 
y4mkuPSWN8w-89zIRE9R7UBx3jjbH1KtlpeU5xMU
thank you so much in advance

Edited by Psykikk

7 hours ago, Psykikk said:

could anyone point me towards some decent, still valid pointers on how to get a working and functioning base off the ground ? 

The MKS Wiki is still pretty relevant. Some pages need revamping, but for the most part, still a very good resource.

Start with the Base Construction page and the Base Strategies under the Kore Design page for starting pointers.