[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Brigadier said:

I'm pretty sure you need to use the stock Construction mechanic (https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EVA_Construction_Mode).  Be aware of weight limits.

thank you. did some basic testings on the runway. thank you so much

1 minute ago, notthebobo said:

The MKS Wiki is still pretty relevant. Some pages need revamping, but for the most part, still a very good resource.

Start with the Base Construction page and the Base Strategies under the Kore Design page for starting pointers.

guess I looked at it wrong.. thanks a lot. 

Has anyone experienced the loss of the WOLF MHU-100 & MHU-500 Bulk Harvester (aka WOLF_Harvester_125 & WOLF_Harvester_375) within a saved game? I'm running a highly modded career game, and started building crafts with these components (Kerbal Construction Time) months ago. I don't get to play many hours, plus these were low-priority. Anyway, I generally apply updates as they become available since the base game has been static so I felt the risk to the saved game would be pretty low. So, when I finally complete the craft I'm surprised to find it won't allow rollout because the MHU-500 is unavailable. I check the SPH/VAB, and the Harvester parts are gone. I check the tech tree, and I find that yes, I've both researched and purchased these parts. Yet, these two parts are just... gone.

I've re-installed all mods. I've verified that these parts aren't being pruned. In the KSP.log file, I see records of these parts being updated; plus, once I load KSP I can see these parts in the Database. If I open a Sandbox game, these parts are available. Is there something I can do to determine why these parts are not available to my saved Career game?

Spoiler

MHU-500 Unavailable:
Cannot-Launch.png

Database Shows Harvesters:
Database-Shows-Parts.png

Tech Tree Shows Harvesters:
MHU-500-Tech-Tree.png

Harvesters Missing from VAB in Careers Save:
VAB-MHU-500-Missing.png

Harvesters Available in Sandbox Game:
VAB-MHU-500-Sandbox-Game.png

On 12/5/2022 at 12:30 PM, clark625 said:

Has anyone experienced the loss of the WOLF MHU-100 & MHU-500 Bulk Harvester (aka WOLF_Harvester_125 & WOLF_Harvester_375) within a saved game? I'm running a highly modded career game, and started building crafts with these components (Kerbal Construction Time) months ago. I don't get to play many hours, plus these were low-priority. Anyway, I generally apply updates as they become available since the base game has been static so I felt the risk to the saved game would be pretty low. So, when I finally complete the craft I'm surprised to find it won't allow rollout because the MHU-500 is unavailable. I check the SPH/VAB, and the Harvester parts are gone. I check the tech tree, and I find that yes, I've both researched and purchased these parts. Yet, these two parts are just... gone.

I've re-installed all mods. I've verified that these parts aren't being pruned. In the KSP.log file, I see records of these parts being updated; plus, once I load KSP I can see these parts in the Database. If I open a Sandbox game, these parts are available. Is there something I can do to determine why these parts are not available to my saved Career game?

Reveal hidden contents

MHU-500 Unavailable:
Cannot-Launch.png

Database Shows Harvesters:
Database-Shows-Parts.png

Tech Tree Shows Harvesters:
MHU-500-Tech-Tree.png

Harvesters Missing from VAB in Careers Save:
VAB-MHU-500-Missing.png

Harvesters Available in Sandbox Game:
VAB-MHU-500-Sandbox-Game.png

For those who might experience this issue: I found the culprit. One of the recent MKS updates moved these parts from becoming available with "Advanced Science Tech" and are now requiring "Advanced Off-World Mining" and "Resource Exploitation", which does make more sense. To fix this, I needed to manually edit the save file to remove these parts from being owned within "Advanced Science Tech", and then go re-acquire these parts within the other levels.

Hi. After downloading a stable release off the Github, (the full USI constellation, which i cannot find a fourm page for..) I seem to be missing a BUNCH of parts and textures. I have attempted to download it multiple times and outright can't use the mod. What's the deal with that?

I know I am quiet late to this party,  but I am somewhat overwhelmed with the mod so far. 
I have USI / MKS and USI Life support mod. Figuring LS fpr rockets and stations are somewhat easy as I haven´t tried to establish a somewhat self sufficient base yet. 

but now I have taken on a contract to establish a base on minmus. something I want to do anyways (meiing / refining / refueling in orbit).  and here the problem starts. 
all documentation seems rather outdated.

this is what I was trying to build as a starter module.
y4me3vMjGa1hoLefiwWzIvPLbDothunWVkPCQQt4
and those side modules (ranger thingies) don´t seem to match at all, at least from a ground level perspective that is

I just put this test station on the runway and deploying a ranger agroponics-module attached to a tundra module is not possible from the ship-controls. so I EVA´d a kerbal.
got an interaction window and it say it costs 8000 (8 freakin thousand ???) Material kits to deploy a module ? 

hab module 8k. agric. 1000 ??? 
y4mpjOYUY2uAQ-nUQ78lWgH4DQ1YpKpkiOVSNKDo

am I missing something ? 

also whats the point with those adjustable base legs for the tundra modules ? how are we supposed to attach ranger modules if ground-height / level does not match at all ? is this even supposed to work together ? 

thank you so much in advance. any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Psykikk
forgot screenshot

2 minutes ago, Psykikk said:

is this even supposed to work together ? 

I generally use the Duna modules for ground bases and the Ranger modules work well with those. I use the tundra modules in Space Stations and long range Exploration ships. 

You can use Tundra and Ranger together, but you'll need some custom structure parts to align the ranger mods at ground level.

1 minute ago, Caerfinon said:

I generally use the Duna modules for ground bases and the Ranger modules work well with those. I use the tundra modules in Space Stations and long range Exploration ships. 

You can use Tundra and Ranger together, but you'll need some custom structure parts to align the ranger mods at ground level.

ah ok. I also just checked that containers can transport amterial kits .. and are used when in proximity. 

geeze still loads of effort for running a base that is. :-)

3 hours ago, Psykikk said:

ah ok. I also just checked that containers can transport amterial kits .. and are used when in proximity. 

geeze still loads of effort for running a base that is. :-)

The whole point of ranger modules is to allow you to launch your base with smaller rockets.  The material kits represent all of the bits and pieces that you left out when you launched the initial collapsed shell.

Since the initial shell is small and light, and you can launch small containers of material kits, you can build your base off of a large number of small launches/vessels instead of the larger launches/vessels needed for the other part families.  You still need the same amount of mass however, so the primary benefit of using ranger modules on a ship that is also carrying the material kits to expand them is easier fairing coverage.

18 hours ago, Psykikk said:

I know I am quiet late to this party,  but I am somewhat overwhelmed with the mod so far. 
I have USI / MKS and USI Life support mod. Figuring LS fpr rockets and stations are somewhat easy as I haven´t tried to establish a somewhat self sufficient base yet. 

but now I have taken on a contract to establish a base on minmus. something I want to do anyways (meiing / refining / refueling in orbit).  and here the problem starts. 

The Example Stations and Bases wiki page may give you some ideas. For a first base, keep it small, focus on habitation and ship your supplies in instead of trying to be self sufficient from the start. The Duna-class dropship example shows how you can land an initial base core.

MKS uses stock construction now to connect parts, and the shipping containers can carry a lot, so you can have a pretty compact launch and landing vehicle that contains the parts needed to build out a substantial site. But again, start small.

Edited by notthebobo
Added Duna-class dropship example link

How does the Kolonization rating thing work? I'm trying to figure it out before I launch anything, and the wiki doesn't say much.

Also, would it be possible to take the IVAs from some SSPXR parts and apply them to the Tundra modules? If so, how would I do it with MM?

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

How does the Kolonization rating thing work? I'm trying to figure it out before I launch anything, and the wiki doesn't say much.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/The-Kolonization-Dashboard#kolony-statistics

Basically, each type of Kerbal will slowly increase one of the bonus types(or all three for kolonists) the longer they stay on a body.

Funds can be collected from a connected pioneer module, and production/habitation bonuses will automatically increase the efficiency of the appropriate production types across the entire body.

8 minutes ago, Terwin said:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/The-Kolonization-Dashboard#kolony-statistics

Basically, each type of Kerbal will slowly increase one of the bonus types(or all three for kolonists) the longer they stay on a body.

Funds can be collected from a connected pioneer module, and production/habitation bonuses will automatically increase the efficiency of the appropriate production types across the entire body.

What is the exact rate? How many kolonist-days will I need for 500%?

31 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

What is the exact rate? How many kolonist-days will I need for 500%?

No clue on the exact rate, but I vaguely recall having perhaps a dozen Kolonists for more than a year and being somewhere in the 300's.

In any case, I would expect it to take more than ten Kolonist years to get to 500%, possibly less if they are  all 5-star kolonists(I forget if the star-count matters, but it does for lots of things), and I would not be surprised if it takes more than 20-30 kolonist years to get to 500%.

Drill resource and heat production are affected, but radiators and drill heat dissipation are not(last time I checked), so over-provision your head dissipation if you plan to grow your production multiplier.

could someone tell me if I got this right please ? 
so, my minmus base location relies omn imported fertilizer so far.  all good. 

now if I want to produce fert. insitu, I need a drill to get dirt / gypsum,  a refinery that converts and that´s it ? 

also, 
it seems my base is in a rather sweet spot for uraninite. 
the drills can be set Uraninite => RareMetals. 
does that mean I could just mine RareMetals and export them back to kerbin for some cash ? 

if I combine that with ore to LFO, I basically got free money if I can build reliable transfer ships  (SSTO´s) ? 

or am I missing something ? 
thank you so much in advance

the drills can be set Uraninite => RareMetals. 

This means: Currently drilling Uraninite, if you switch you will drill Rare Metals.

It is set up like this because it costs material kits to switch, so cycling through all of the options like you do with storage would be very expensive.

now if I want to produce fert. insitu, I need a drill to get dirt / gypsum,  a refinery that converts and that´s it ? 

If there is gypsum in your current location, then a powered drill and a powered refinery set to convert gypsum to fertilizer should allow you to produce fertilizer.

The refinery will need equipment if you want a non-zero efficiency, and an engineer will increase the efficiency of the drill/refinery (more boost with more stars, I think it is ~10% efficient without an engineer at all), and, as with everything else, power and waste heat will need to be addressed to keep everything running. 

if I combine that with ore to LFO, I basically got free money if I can build reliable transfer ships  (SSTO´s) ? 

I would not consider it free myself, but you can certainly make money with mining rare resources from other bodies.

If you can SSTO and refine fuel, consider setting up a zero-cost WOLF transport path to 'automate' this transfer.(you do this by refueling before completing the path soo that your ship is the same as when it left, does not work as well with staging)

Another question:

To start up my new Duna colony, I'm gonna need to haul in a large amount of Specialized Parts - enough to use the KonFabricator to make what I need for MatKit production, then SP production (via EPL and my stock of SP).

How much SP will I need to carry in, given that all I plan to haul down is a Duna Pioneer, reactor, a few piles of machinery and fertilizer, a little organics, and a KonFabricator?

If I fill a 2.5m kontainer to the brim, it's really heavy, if I need that much, how would I land it on Duna?

Also, any tips on making an automated miner for those resources that aren't available at the main base site?

I do not know how much SP it takes to go fully self-sufficient, but specialized parts production and full self-sufficiency is not usually an aspect of early colonization.  I would suggest that sending a few resupply missions is entirely reasonable.

52 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

If I fill a 2.5m kontainer to the brim, it's really heavy, if I need that much, how would I land it on Duna?

Parachutes are your friend, and in KSP you can have an arbitrary number of them in a small space without worrying about tangling, interference or other real-world parachute issues, so just add lots of parachutes and some air-brakes to help keep you slow enough to open those chutes.  If you use your engines to slow you down until you run out of fuel, that should help as well, as fuel mass is usually the bulk of a rocket.  (but make sure you have enough fuel to slow your horizontal velocity to pretty slow, as you do not have a lot of air on Duna for aero breaking, and a little bit of fuel for final breaking can save a lot in parachutes if you are proficient at such)

52 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Also, any tips on making an automated miner for those resources that aren't available at the main base site?

Unmanned refinery parts also provide the ability to push to planetary stores, so one or more drills, sufficient storage for ~4 days worth of production storage for both raw material and processed material, and an unmanned processor unit should provide the desired functionality(when supported by appropriate power and radiators).  If you only want the raw materials, then you need not even start the processor, and the smallest available should be sufficient(I think this is lighter than the pioneer logistics unit when without machinery, but not 100% sure).

3 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I do not know how much SP it takes to go fully self-sufficient, but specialized parts production and full self-sufficiency is not usually an aspect of early colonization.  I would suggest that sending a few resupply missions is entirely reasonable.

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Well, I'm actually trying to run a challenge in which I send a single ship to duna and see how long the colony can survive. I might carry more SP in orbit, and/or drop the SP containers seperately from the main base so they can be picked up by rovers. The current plan is to scan the planet with a polar satellite, then drop a rover to find a flat spot, then drop the main colony with a few crew and the remote miners, while the rest of the colonists wait in orbit for the ones on the ground to build the habitation modules. Finally, I'll drop down the rest of the crew and continue expanding the base.

5 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Unmanned refinery parts also provide the ability to push to planetary stores, so one or more drills, sufficient storage for ~4 days worth of production storage for both raw material and processed material, and an unmanned processor unit should provide the desired functionality(when supported by appropriate power and radiators).  If you only want the raw materials, then you need not even start the processor, and the smallest available should be sufficient(I think this is lighter than the pioneer logistics unit when without machinery, but not 100% sure).

Wait, do the unmanned refineries need Machinery?

Refining before sending to the main base could help reduce the main base part count, but if they need machinery I'll put the refineries at the main base. On Duna, solar still sorta works, so if the things don't consume machinery, I never need to touch them.

28 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Wait, do the unmanned refineries need Machinery?

Yes, all refineries need machinery, but if you set the machinery consumption to zero, then said machinery does not get used up.

Also, unmanned refineries have a larger machinery store than a similar manned refinery so that they can be re-stocked less often.

29 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Well, I'm actually trying to run a challenge in which I send a single ship to duna and see how long the colony can survive.

Don't forget to send some organics so that you can eventually produce colony supplies

54 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Yes, all refineries need machinery, but if you set the machinery consumption to zero, then said machinery does not get used up.

Also, unmanned refineries have a larger machinery store than a similar manned refinery so that they can be re-stocked less often.

Is it still worth it to sometimes refine things before transport at unmanned locations instead of refining at the main base? I'll have to deliver nuclear fuels anyways, unless I go for fuelcell/solar power.

Edited by SkyFall2489

6 hours ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Is it still worth it to sometimes refine things before transport at unmanned locations instead of refining at the main base? I'll have to deliver nuclear fuels anyways, unless I go for fuelcell/solar power.

The unmanned refineries are a good way to add logistics to an unmanned base, and if you will have the refinery, then you might as well make use of it.

When using planetary logistics, there is no transport cost between biomes, so the two biggest benefits of having on-site refining are: 1) you do not need to worry about the refinery running out of resources from the drills being too far behind(you must visit each location for the catch-up mechanics to run, and they process a 6 hour block at a time when doing catch-up, and planetary logistics leaves warehouses half-full, which is why 4+ days of storage is suggested), and 2) if the refinery is on your unmanned base, then that is fewer parts on your primary base, reducing the processor load when it is loaded.

57 minutes ago, Terwin said:

When using planetary logistics, there is no transport cost between biomes, so the two biggest benefits of having on-site refining are: 1) you do not need to worry about the refinery running out of resources from the drills being too far behind(you must visit each location for the catch-up mechanics to run, and they process a 6 hour block at a time when doing catch-up, and planetary logistics leaves warehouses half-full, which is why 4+ days of storage is suggested), and 2) if the refinery is on your unmanned base, then that is fewer parts on your primary base, reducing the processor load when it is loaded.

I've never established a mining base so some of this has been a source of confusion for me.  From where does one get the mining rate before having to send the appropriate amount of storage?  Doesn't the rate depend on the surveyed concentration and type of drill?

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

The unmanned refineries are a good way to add logistics to an unmanned base, and if you will have the refinery, then you might as well make use of it.

At the same time, I'd have to go and bring Machinery to the remote miners, and I'm trying to bring as little to Duna as possible. Carrying a stock of Machinery at each miner would be bigger and heavier. Meanwhile, I could instead fabricate my refineries if they are at the main base.

Also, what parts exactly are needed for planetary logistics? I thought you just needed a Kontainer.