[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Psykikk said:

is there a way to reset depots ? 

Look in your save file(probably KSP/saves/GameName/persisteence.sfs )

Open in a text editor (notepad if you do not have anything else you prefer)

Search for: "name = WOLF_ScenarioModule"

Should look like this:

SCENARIO
    {
        name = WOLF_ScenarioModule

scene = 6, 7, 5, 8
        DEPOTS
        {
            DEPOT
            {
                Body = Kerbin
                Biome = KSC
                IsEstablished = True
                IsSurveyed = True
                RESOURCE
                {

You can remove a depot by deleting the appropriate DEPOT [...] entry from the save file.

(I recommend backing up your save first, as it is easy to miss an opening or closing bracket and leave the file in an invalid state)

You could also 'back out' adding modules by manually adjusting the resources back to what they were before the module was added.

5 hours ago, Psykikk said:

is there a way to reset depots ? 

No, but yes.

The short version: there's no simple method provided in-game, but you can edit them in the save file or restore to an earlier save game.

The long version:

While playing through the sandbox game that became my "walkthrough" I learned the hard way that proper planning prevents poor performance. I ended up saving the game before constructing each of the depot expansions, before checking on rovers (because Bon Voyage is good but Kraken is better), and before each major manoeuvre.

The depots are defined using a "DEPOT" element in the save file. This element describes whether you've surveyed the biome and established the depot, and keeps a simple sum of the incoming and outgoing values for each resource. If you know what the settings used to be (eg: have an old save file around) you can reset the depot by replacing this section of the save file. Note that things get complicated if you have multiple depots and arranged routes between them. So before resetting a depot make sure you go through all your routes in-game and remove all transfers to and from that depot.

There are sections in the save game for depots, routes and transfers (transfers are expressed as a RESOURCE element inside a ROUTE element), and crew routes (CREWROUTES, and you're better off making sure there are no crew in transit before editing this section).

Edited by JamesonKerbal

9 hours ago, Terwin said:

Look in your save file(probably KSP/saves/GameName/persisteence.sfs )

Open in a text editor (notepad if you do not have anything else you prefer)

Search for: "name = WOLF_ScenarioModule"

Should look like this:

SCENARIO
    {
        name = WOLF_ScenarioModule

scene = 6, 7, 5, 8
        DEPOTS
        {
            DEPOT
            {
                Body = Kerbin
                Biome = KSC
                IsEstablished = True
                IsSurveyed = True
                RESOURCE
                {

You can remove a depot by deleting the appropriate DEPOT [...] entry from the save file.

(I recommend backing up your save first, as it is easy to miss an opening or closing bracket and leave the file in an invalid state)

You could also 'back out' adding modules by manually adjusting the resources back to what they were before the module was added.

thank you

9 hours ago, JamesonKerbal said:

No, but yes.

The short version: there's no simple method provided in-game, but you can edit them in the save file or restore to an earlier save game.

The long version:

While playing through the sandbox game that became my "walkthrough" I learned the hard way that proper planning prevents poor performance. I ended up saving the game before constructing each of the depot expansions, before checking on rovers (because Bon Voyage is good but Kraken is better), and before each major manoeuvre.

The depots are defined using a "DEPOT" element in the save file. This element describes whether you've surveyed the biome and established the depot, and keeps a simple sum of the incoming and outgoing values for each resource. If you know what the settings used to be (eg: have an old save file around) you can reset the depot by replacing this section of the save file. Note that things get complicated if you have multiple depots and arranged routes between them. So before resetting a depot make sure you go through all your routes in-game and remove all transfers to and from that depot.

There are sections in the save game for depots, routes and transfers (transfers are expressed as a RESOURCE element inside a ROUTE element), and crew routes (CREWROUTES, and you're better off making sure there are no crew in transit before editing this section).

thank you as well

On 12/3/2022 at 11:00 PM, ZAJC3W said:

Karibou wheels are messed up again.

here is corrected config.

copy the file above to GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\Karibou\Parts\KER_Wheel_01.cfg  and enjoy working karibou wheels again.

Thanks but you linked KER_WheelBay.cfg, can you link the actual KER_Wheel_01.cfg? I would LOVE having functional Karibou wheels again.

in the wlakthrough it is mentioned that 1 crew delivers 10 crew-points (eg. 1 miner equals 10 mining points). 
my kerbals only deliver 1 point per kerbal ? 
my crew requirements are skewed ? did I miss something ? 
if it is a setting, can I change that somewhere in the persistent save file ? 
loading up on kerbals is a pita... i mean 16 miners and 22 technicians ?  c´mon. 

38 minutes ago, Psykikk said:

Can you post a screen shot of the WOLF dashboard Planner tab?

Spoiler

It should look something like this:

eK3s8ML.png

Note I have one engineer in this crew, and it's a brand new biome so there are 0 existing EngineerCrewPoints and the one engineer I have is contributing 10 new EngineerCrewPoints (+10). There are 2 EngineerCrewPoints consumed by this infrastructure.

1 hour ago, Psykikk said:

It depends on their level. You get two points per star, i.e. a five-star engineer gives ten points, a zero-star rookie only adds one crew point.

You can hire them at two stars and get four points each for no effort (just some extra hiring cost), or train them to five stars to save on life support infrastructure with fewer crew required, just like with MKS. With two-star hires just a flag-planting trip to Mun and Minmus should give them four stars easily.

Just now, jd284 said:

It depends on their level. You get two points per star, i.e. a five-star engineer gives ten points, a zero-star rookie only adds one crew point.

You can hire them at two stars and get four points each for no effort (just some extra hiring cost), or train them to five stars to save on life support infrastructure with fewer crew required, just like with MKS. With two-star hires just a flag-planting trip to Mun and Minmus should give them four stars easily.

yeah well. 
that might be true.. but still . we are talking tons of kerbals for several biome-depots. 
how many flag planting missions shall it be ? 
I guess the easiest solution would be to just live with it and cram gazillion people into my depot-expansions. 

so b it then.

12 minutes ago, JamesonKerbal said:

Can you post a screen shot of the WOLF dashboard Planner tab?

Reveal hidden contents

It should look something like this:

eK3s8ML.png

Note I have one engineer in this crew, and it's a brand new biome so there are 0 existing EngineerCrewPoints and the one engineer I have is contributing 10 new EngineerCrewPoints (+10). There are 2 EngineerCrewPoints consumed by this infrastructure.

here ya go
y4m3ahouQvmr-SGQjbHmf0rAoiCe-3al6Ncx-QF9

level 1. one crew point available. makes kinda sense but maybe the walkthroughs have to be updated ? 
I am in career mode and having all kind of kerbals at lvl 5 for all depots is highly unlikely imho.

Just now, Psykikk said:

I guess the easiest solution would be to just live with it and cram gazillion people into my depot-expansions.

I mean only one depot on each destination really needs a lot of crew, for the rest you should set up transport routes (using a rover so that they're free, or ISRU to refuel) to transport everything to one location where the crew can process it. With the power provided by the depot you can set up a small unmanned harvesting base in each biome and with multiple such harvesters you should be able to get all resources transported back to your crewed main base, at least until you get to the crazy stuff like producing prototypes and robotics.

Sounds like you're trying to do everything at once, and that's intended to be very painful, both in MKS as in WOLF.

5 minutes ago, jd284 said:

I mean only one depot on each destination really needs a lot of crew, for the rest you should set up transport routes (using a rover so that they're free, or ISRU to refuel) to transport everything to one location where the crew can process it. With the power provided by the depot you can set up a small unmanned harvesting base in each biome and with multiple such harvesters you should be able to get all resources transported back to your crewed main base, at least until you get to the crazy stuff like producing prototypes and robotics.

Sounds like you're trying to do everything at once, and that's intended to be very painful, both in MKS as in WOLF.

so .. my kerbin biomes basically only do bulk harvesting, while KSC Base Depot does all the production ? is that the way to go ? 

I am not really trying to do all at once, but replicating what was done in the tutorial in the 1st expansion on highlands biome and I ended up needing 22 tech and 16 miners. 

3 minutes ago, JamesonKerbal said:

Oh no!

I definitely need to cover that in the walkthrough. I had no idea.

the setup also tells me I need 2 specialized parts and 5 machinery ? 

adding a container filled with them does not help.. 

y4mf-910KfbYNeoy2gUiks9F_4gu5Z5dyqnFXSqv

On 1/1/2023 at 12:13 AM, Psykikk said:

adding a container filled with them does not help.. 

You need WOLF Machinery not MKS Machinery. The WOLF numbers are an abundance (basically a rate of extraction), while MKS numbers are a quantity. Everything on the Planner is a WOLF abundance of some kind.

The Machinery and Specialized Parts are probably for the WOLF Colony Supplies (5 WOLF Colony Supplies requries 5 WOLF Machinery, 3 WOLF Material Kits and 2 WOLF Specialized Parts), which you wouldn't be needing unless you were trying to set up a passenger route. If you're not trying to produce colony supplies, find that Fabricator and remove it (Fabricators have red stripes, if that helps). Colony Supplies is the default production for a WOLF Fabricator, it's probably supposed to be producing Material Kits.

Here's me trying to do a career game after having played sandbox for the last two years (levelling Kerbals turned into a long stay to process what's in the lab):

Spoiler

TQdWBbO.jpg

Valentina and her new BFFs in their cobbled-together science vessel KSS Placebo. They're currently having a working holiday on Minmus, crunching through the mountains of data gathered from their first visit.

Edited by JamesonKerbal

hey there,

how hard would it be to incorporate gold as a new ressource into MKS / wolf ? 
I have both MKS and "the gold standard" installed, but they do not play together at all. 

having the ability to harvet gold using wolf depots would be a godsend. 

thanks in advance

7 hours ago, Psykikk said:

hey there,

how hard would it be to incorporate gold as a new ressource into MKS / wolf ? 
I have both MKS and "the gold standard" installed, but they do not play together at all. 

having the ability to harvet gold using wolf depots would be a godsend. 

thanks in advance

Easy enough with module manager and whitelisting the resource, then making all of the appropriate bits that can work with it.

58 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Easy enough with module manager and whitelisting the resource, then making all of the appropriate bits that can work with it.

Oh.. the roverdude himself :-) thank you. 
soooo .. I never modded anything in KSP. 
I assume all modules that  should interact with gold ore (bulk Harvesters) need the ressource, as well as the refinery module needs the recipe gold ore -> pure gold. 
then the biome lists need the gold abundancy.  etc etc etc

oh boy. 

its definitely more than just adding a few lines to one central config file. isn´t it ? 

Edited by Psykikk

4 minutes ago, Psykikk said:

I assume all modules that  should interact with gold ore (bulk Harvesters) need the ressource, as well as the refinery module needs the recipe gold ore -> pure gold. 
then the biome lists need the gold abundancy.  etc etc etc

oh boy. 

its definitely more than just adding a few lines to one central config file. isn´t it ? 

I would assume that the gold mod would have already added the abundance to appropriate biomes, so hopefully that part is done, so hopefully you only need to update the drill and refinery configs.

(they are text files, so you should be able to look at the existing entries, and just duplicate one of those, changing the values to match the gold related tags that the gold mod has presumably already added to the stock drills and ISRU config files)

You may also want to add gold as an option to the storage parts, or possibly just add it to the existing rare minerals/metals storage config on the large MKS storage crates(1.25m and larger).

17 hours ago, Terwin said:

I would assume that the gold mod would have already added the abundance to appropriate biomes, so hopefully that part is done, so hopefully you only need to update the drill and refinery configs.

(they are text files, so you should be able to look at the existing entries, and just duplicate one of those, changing the values to match the gold related tags that the gold mod has presumably already added to the stock drills and ISRU config files)

You may also want to add gold as an option to the storage parts, or possibly just add it to the existing rare minerals/metals storage config on the large MKS storage crates(1.25m and larger).

I do not see any reference in the biomes abundancy settings, at least afaict. 

the wolf  depot settings in the save file list all abundancies per biome depot, then states if depot is established or not. there is no entry in there for gold ore. 

adding recipes would be- like you said - probably fairly straightforward. 

ah well. 

5 hours ago, Psykikk said:

I do not see any reference in the biomes abundancy settings, at least afaict. 

the wolf  depot settings in the save file list all abundancies per biome depot, then states if depot is established or not. there is no entry in there for gold ore. 

adding recipes would be- like you said - probably fairly straightforward. 

ah well. 

WOLF leverages the stock resource system (written by yours truly).   If Gold Standard uses it as well, awesome.  Otherwise, you can see the Community Resource Pack configurations for examples (or the stock example for Ore).

I'm having an issue that might just be me misunderstanding mechanics. 

How are unmanned mining craft and pushing resources to planetary logistics supposed to work? I've got a few Atlas harvesters set up to harvest water but I can't get them to push it into planetary logistics without having a manned logistics center in the same craft.

58 minutes ago, Shoey said:

I'm having an issue that might just be me misunderstanding mechanics. 

How are unmanned mining craft and pushing resources to planetary logistics supposed to work? I've got a few Atlas harvesters set up to harvest water but I can't get them to push it into planetary logistics without having a manned logistics center in the same craft.

The MKS automated processors have unmanned logistics capabilities(push only), and that is what you need to push resources  from an unmanned base.

Normal logistics requires an appropriate kerbal(pilot or quartermaster, I think), and provides both push and pull, but automated processors can push without a kerbal.

36 minutes ago, Terwin said:

The MKS automated processors have unmanned logistics capabilities(push only), and that is what you need to push resources  from an unmanned base.

Normal logistics requires an appropriate kerbal(pilot or quartermaster, I think), and provides both push and pull, but automated processors can push without a kerbal.

That is what I thought, but its not working that way for me. 

I've used the automated Atlas harvester and one of the automated drills but they'd just cap out on water and not push it into planetary logistics. I am expecting it to push from containers on the same craft marked as planetary warehouses. Does it by pass that requirement and push without any containers and I just missed it?

7 hours ago, Shoey said:

That is what I thought, but its not working that way for me. 

I've used the automated Atlas harvester and one of the automated drills but they'd just cap out on water and not push it into planetary logistics. I am expecting it to push from containers on the same craft marked as planetary warehouses. Does it by pass that requirement and push without any containers and I just missed it?

Not the automated drills, but the automated processors(the ones that can turn harvested metal ore into metals)   Also, only half of the contents of warehouse enabled storage will transfer at any one time, so you will want 12 hours of storage so you do not lose anything during the 6 hour catch-up processing chunks.

32 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Not the automated drills, but the automated processors(the ones that can turn harvested metal ore into metals)   Also, only half of the contents of warehouse enabled storage will transfer at any one time, so you will want 12 hours of storage so you do not lose anything during the 6 hour catch-up processing chunks.

Ahh, okay, I get it now. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:18 PM, Shoey said:

Does it by pass that requirement and push without any containers and I just missed it?

Please forgive me if I'm trying to teach you stuff you already know but you might want to review Mark Thrimm's tutorial videos about MKS.

I keep going back to them again and again because there's always something new to learn. The episode on Logistics shows a bunch of examples of craft on the Mun using scavenging, resource distribution, planetary logistics, and orbital logistics. Being able to see the craft that Mark Thrimm built with how the inventories behave over time might help you like it helped me.

Edited by JamesonKerbal