[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Zmeya said:

Odd, I've been able to get funds from recovering resources from MKS/USI in 1.11 and 1.12

Which resources are you using for fund raising? Every time I try to recover vehicles containing mined resources I end up going broke because they end up being worth negative funds.

Edited by JamesonKerbal

On 3/16/2023 at 3:37 AM, JamesonKerbal said:

The "fix" was a terrible hack packaged into KSP-Recall introducing a new resource called "refunding" which has negative value. The catch is that MKS is a resource based mod that handles resource logistics beyond just transferring stuff between docked tanks, so MKS in combination with KSP-Recall will just cause you endless problems.

The hack is ugly, but it works and it's auditable and deactivatable if needed. And it can also be positive ;) , it depends from the affected part being overrefunded or underrefunded.

Additionally,  that ugly hack is, currently, the only workaround for really very expensive parts that are being hit by the lack of precision of floats. It's still a hack, but the hack aims to shift the burden into bonus: if the correct amount of Funds can't be refunded due the float problem, the thing tries to refund you the next higher possible value instead of you having the lowest possible float representation as it happens now (where you can lose huge amounts of Funds in the process).

Back to Refunding, there's a catch, granted. Code that doesn't honors the Resource flags that says the Resource is not visible, not transferable, not drainable and not tweakable will obviously misbehave.

But this is over the 3rd party's shoulders, not on Recall. Recall does the Right Thing(tm) and correctly follows the KSP's Resources Conventions. You find someone misbehaving on the thing, you found something in need to be fixed to follow such conventions.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:33 AM, Zmeya said:

Odd, I've been able to get funds from recovering resources from MKS/USI in 1.11 and 1.12, the mod I've had problems with is WBI, specifically it's containers.

WBI uses specialized PartModules that TweakScale doesn't knows about. I need to write a Companion for the thing.

Keep an eye on the TweakScale Companion Program. I'm adding support for more and more 3rd parties as time allows.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the roadmap, he might be putting a lot of it into the core KSP2 game. 

It might be more enlightening to ask if he intends to migrate his LS mod, as it sounds like that is less likely to be integrated into the core.

That said, it may be a while before he has the free time to work on mods, as he is probably putting a lot of extra hours towards his day-job.  I hear they just released a large product in early access and are working hard on supporting it.

RoverDude is working on his indie game now plus we don't even really know what colonies will look like in stock KSP2 yet but we do know that there will be a resource acquisition and transportation routes system so there might not even be a need for a mod like MKS, it's too early to tell.

16 hours ago, slyfox023 said:

I've wanted to ask, will you be moving this mod to KSP 2 once mod supports gets added? 

Sitting tight as there's a lot of overlap, and I'd like to see where KSP2 lands first.

56 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Looking at the roadmap, he might be putting a lot of it into the core KSP2 game. 

It might be more enlightening to ask if he intends to migrate his LS mod, as it sounds like that is less likely to be integrated into the core.

That said, it may be a while before he has the free time to work on mods, as he is probably putting a lot of extra hours towards his day-job.  I hear they just released a large product in early access and are working hard on supporting it.

Won't be me personally - my role in KSP2 was purely some of the art.   And since I am off on a different project now, I have the same info you guys have :)

17 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

RoverDude is working on his indie game now plus we don't even really know what colonies will look like in stock KSP2 yet but we do know that there will be a resource acquisition and transportation routes system so there might not even be a need for a mod like MKS, it's too early to tell.

Yep on both counts.  Our new game takes priority right now (and it's downright snazzy!), and there will be no consideration of a port of any of the USI mods to KSP2 till we see where KSP2 lands both in terms of stability as a modding platform, and overlap with the USI stuff.  That being said, we will be doing a bit of buttoning up on the KSP1 mod side in the relatively near future.

When I try to launch a new module using the orbital shipyard (the small one), the console suddenly starts spamming NREs and the screen transition turns black and the new ship never loads in correctly.

I was able to launch a tiny ship with almost all Kontainers using the shipyard, but every time I have reloaded a quicksave and tried to launch the station segment (a few SSPX modules and a few MKS modules), it has this problem. Are there certain modules that cannot be launched via the Shipyard?

logfile

On 4/5/2023 at 6:55 PM, larkvi said:

When I try to launch a new module using the orbital shipyard (the small one), the console suddenly starts spamming NREs and the screen transition turns black and the new ship never loads in correctly.

When this has happened to me I've sometimes been able to get the craft to launch by changing the root part in the VAB/SPH. Sometimes I've managed to get the issue to go away by "launching" the craft (ie: from VAB or SPH, click the launch button). On other occasions it's been a case of pruning the part tree (ie: taking off a part that has other parts attached to it) to find which part of the craft is creating the problem, then building it back piece by piece until you find which component was causing the problem. Sometimes it will be a part that was clipped or rotated, other times it will simply be a mystery that goes away just because you rebuilt that part of the craft.

Hope this helps.

On 4/2/2023 at 4:52 PM, RoverDude said:

Sitting tight as there's a lot of overlap, and I'd like to see where KSP2 lands first.

Won't be me personally - my role in KSP2 was purely some of the art.   And since I am off on a different project now, I have the same info you guys have :)

Yep on both counts.  Our new game takes priority right now (and it's downright snazzy!), and there will be no consideration of a port of any of the USI mods to KSP2 till we see where KSP2 lands both in terms of stability as a modding platform, and overlap with the USI stuff.  That being said, we will be doing a bit of buttoning up on the KSP1 mod side in the relatively near future.

Can we know what sort of game are you making? :)

9 hours ago, JamesonKerbal said:

When this has happened to me I've sometimes been able to get the craft to launch by changing the root part in the VAB/SPH. Sometimes I've managed to get the issue to go away by "launching" the craft (ie: from VAB or SPH, click the launch button). On other occasions it's been a case of pruning the part tree (ie: taking off a part that has other parts attached to it) to find which part of the craft is creating the problem, then building it back piece by piece until you find which component was causing the problem. Sometimes it will be a part that was clipped or rotated, other times it will simply be a mystery that goes away just because you rebuilt that part of the craft.

Hope this helps.

I can give it a shot. This basically killed my playthrough, and I was having no luck fixing it myself. Is there any advantage to using this over the EPL/GC systems, if it is this finicky?

19 hours ago, Calvin Kerman said:

Is there any way to specify the placement of WOLF's abstract resources by body, or is it completely random?

The placement is random, but once you have surveyed a biome, you can edit the resources remaining in a specific biome in your save file.

How well does MKS scale with Career Mode Funding and the Community Tech tree in terms of the gameplay? I've read elsewhere that the parts are fairly well positioned with the CTT. But, does working through the tech tree help "teach" MKS--a seemingly quite difficult/complex mod--in a sensible manner (from just getting supplies slapped on a capsule to later on opening up the ability to recycle/mine/build baes etc) ? 

Or could it be better to just open the tech tree via cheats and have all the parts available to work out how they function via trial/error and the helpful guides in say Science Mode for example?

Just now, Zalym said:

How well does MKS scale with Career Mode Funding and the Community Tech tree in terms of the gameplay? I've read elsewhere that the parts are fairly well positioned with the CTT. But, does working through the tech tree help "teach" MKS--a seemingly quite difficult/complex mod--in a sensible manner (from just getting supplies slapped on a capsule to later on opening up the ability to recycle/mine/build baes etc) ? 

Or could it be better to just open the tech tree via cheats and have all the parts available to work out how they function via trial/error and the helpful guides in say Science Mode for example?

That's really up to you to be honest.  But it's designed with CTT in mind for those doing a career playthrough.

On 4/15/2023 at 1:43 AM, larkvi said:

Is there any advantage to using this over the EPL/GC systems, if it is this finicky?

The issue here is launching a vessel in KSP. I suspect there's an issue with complex vessels where some cleanup is done between the VAB/SPH and "launching" through the normal KSP means, and that cleanup isn't done when a craft is simply spawned. I've had craft explode before launch due to collisions between parts without the involvement of add-ons.

On 4/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, Zalym said:

On 4/17/2023 at 2:53 PM, RoverDude said:

That's really up to you to be honest.  But it's designed with CTT in mind for those doing a career playthrough.

There is really no need for cheats. What you describe is just sandbox mode.

I had found the best way of learning all of the abilities of MKS is to use sandbox mode, make ships, and land them on Minmus flats to see how they operate. Once you get a feel for it, start a career save and prioritize the pieces that are important on how you play. I've learned that I used some components more than others, and incorporated KPBS and SSPXr, so pick whatever path seems most attractive to you

On 4/17/2023 at 8:51 PM, Zalym said:

But, does working through the tech tree help "teach" MKS--a seemingly quite difficult/complex mod--in a sensible manner (from just getting supplies slapped on a capsule to later on opening up the ability to recycle/mine/build baes etc) ?

FWIW, I was just doing a playthrough with the CTT in career mode (until I stalled out on the shipyard bug), and I would say that neither the mod nor the tech tree teach you anything about how to use or play with it. Other than the clear and well-documented USI-LS parts, everything is a frustrating matter of trial and error and you get a lot of parts at lower branches of the tech tree that really don't work very well without the refinery module which is at the end of one of the tech trees. And even with all the parts unlocked, you can't really plan out a production base in any normal way, since Kerbal star level and the multipliers from modules interacting will have such huge effects on the operation of a base that are transformative, but can also just make your base blow up due to extra heat from an engineer levelling up. You really feel the lack of any tool analogous to the habitation planner from USI-LS, which makes planning straightforward.

It's also really parts-intensive. Designing a low-level supplies base with the small drills and the automated converters requires a huge amount of parts for very little return. Once you have the large drills and the Agriculture Support Module, the parts goes down to a fraction and the yields go through the roof. Even though you get the WOLF raw resources parts before the manufacturing parts, don't even try to use WOLF to deliver anything but manufactured resources, as you need so many hoppers that your base will be more complicated than just mining the resources, with the added complexity of WOLF routes.

Edited by larkvi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, first of all I love this mod.
But is there a chance that I can play this mod with my German KSP version???
The problem that he does not recognize the engineer in modules because it means "Techniker" in German unfortunately still exists

2 hours ago, BravoAlpha101st said:

How does everyone seem to get their base all connected with multiple launches? When I do it, my modules are all over the place, not connected. How do people do this??

I don't ;)  MKS was built with full support for disconnected bases.  So stuff shares within 150m for most stuff, longer distances for others.