[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, DrScarlett said:

use the steaks

Might want to watch your spelling there :P

1 minute ago, DrScarlett said:

Thank you! So that means use the KS-OCD Orbital Construction dock in stead of the orbital shipyard. And use the steaks and a regular workshop on the surface.

EPL No More Production removes all the production stuff from EPL (Rocketparts etc) that you do not need when you use MKS. Keeps it neat :)

MKS ships with a patch that does all that for you anyway, NMP might even break things.

35 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Might want to watch your spelling there :P

MKS ships with a patch that does all that for you anyway, NMP might even break things.

34 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

And...thanks again. Turning it off :)

Nah NMP is fine (I wrote it). All it does is hide the EL tanks, smelters, scanners,  and drills. 

Just now, TheRagingIrishman said:

Nah NMP is fine (I wrote it). All it does is hide the EL tanks, smelters, scanners,  and drills. 

Oh, THAT's what it does. By the description I thought it means the resources-it's fine then.

@DrScarlett Irish is a collaborator with Rover on the MKS project so you can be sure everything he writes will be compatible with it.

18 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

13 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Oh, THAT's what it does. By the description I thought it means the resources-it's fine then.

@DrScarlett Irish is a collaborator with Rover on the MKS project so you can be sure everything he writes will be compatible with it.

Today is a day for deep and sincere gratitude.

Just now, DrScarlett said:

Today is a day for deep and sincere gratitude.

As well as that mod, on the flipside there is the mod MKS-EL Departsing that removes the two MKS/EPL parts if you aren't going to use them.

Worth noting is that if you have PatchManager installed, the next version of MKS (the PR was just merged) will have some customization options on EL - the ability to set which resources you use, whether to hide the parts, whether the MKS-specific classes can build, etc.  They are set up so that PatchManager is optional - if you don't have it, all patches will default to the current situation.

1 hour ago, techgamer17 said:

Thanks, Ill have another look at my tech tree as they must be in there somewhere.

Try opening the GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache in a text editor and searching for the parts by name (MKS_Processor125, MKS_Processor250 & MKS_Processor375) you can then check the techRequired value to find where they should be in the tree.

9 hours ago, Alshain said:

Just thought I'd take the time to post an update.... it's getting big.

Is that on the Mun? I decided to haul all kolonization and industrial processes to Eve for that sweet Karbarundum. Its a 3 piece mobile base, the last piece is bugging me as shown in the 2nd image how the docking port became completely offset after i docked. I'm not even sure Eve is worth colonizing with Ground Construction mod, its completely redundant having to pay for my builds, then haul them to even, then spend hours trying to do precise landing while doing atmosphere re-entry with a 90ton DYI kit. I might have to go back to EL, I should be able to craft stuff that weights 0.005 tons at-least.

Edit: docking worked better when i tried the other end. Well heres my base in 3rd picture land & ocean crawler, gonna settle it next to the coast, it moves at 10m/s on water but looks like i forgot an anchor, sounds like a job for DYI kit package shipment(sarcasm). I prefer water because even with tethers the base moves quite a bit even on flat ground, atleast on Eve.  Its nice that the drills work even in deep water but what i don't get is why the ocean extractor isn't pumping water. In the last 2 pictures you can see "water pump" nothing to harvest" and water is at 1.13%.

Edited by protoz

2 hours ago, protoz said:

In the last 2 pictures you can see "water pump" nothing to harvest" and water is at 1.13%.

Maybe the drills/pumps you are using require a minimum resource concentration of at least 2.5% to function at all. At least the small stock drills work that way.

Also, how did you manage to get these parts to the surface of Eve? As tons of small shipments inside fairings? The Tundra parts have an abysmal heat tolerance of 1200K and tend to suddenly explode with even small re-entry heating.

2 hours ago, protoz said:

<schnip>

Its nice that the drills work even in deep water but what i don't get is why the ocean extractor isn't pumping water. In the last 2 pictures you can see "water pump" nothing to harvest" and water is at 1.13%.

<schnip>

The concentration the scanner gives you is for surface concentration i.e. crustal-it's what you would get if you placed drills on the ocean floor. Water only has a 20% chance to be present in each Eve ocean biome and, clearly, it's not there. I'm not sure how to get data on ocean resources-I believe the tracking station lets you view ocean resources under the resources tab if you've done an orbital scan.

Half of that rover came to eve as it was in the VAB, it could sustain crew of 3 and accumulate material kits. It was a lot of trial and error and lots of reloads to get it through the atmosphere. First I did 10m heatshield then i tried two 10m heatshields overlapping each other. I tried and tried but it kept spinning out of control even at 1800m/s descent using all fuel for suicide burn. Then I added lots of reaction torque, I had one 8t reactionwheel from USI's FTT mod that allowed me to manually control the direction of the craft much better then autopilot which would spin out and cause the vessel to explode.

The second shipment was a 86T DYI kit, which was something like 108t in VAB, it was the same process. It was a bit easier but essentially it was control via torque + 10m shield. Precisely dropping it within the first half was the most difficult part, i happened to drop it within 4km via lots of reloads and trial and errors.

Edited by protoz

1 hour ago, protoz said:

Half of that rover came to eve as it was in the VAB, it could sustain crew of 3 and accumulate material kits. It was a lot of trial and error and lots of reloads to get it through the atmosphere. First I did 10m heatshield then i tried two 10m heatshields overlapping each other. I tried and tried but it kept spinning out of control even at 1800m/s descent using all fuel for suicide burn. Then I added lots of reaction torque, I had one 8t reactionwheel from USI's FTT mod that allowed me to manually control the direction of the craft much better then autopilot which would spin out and cause the vessel to explode.

The second shipment was a 76T DYI kit, which was something like 108t in VAB, it was the same process. It was a bit easier but essentially it was control via torque + 10m shield. Precisely dropping it within the first half was the most difficult part, i happened to drop it within 4km via lots of reloads and trial and errors.

The best way to get through Eve's atmosphere is to use flywheels and fins together. You would need a few decent wheels near the CoM (I think they give less torque the further they are from it) with a big tail of fins strethching out behind it (detachable if possible-you might also want to encase it in a fairing for ascent, else it will make your vessel very unstable). For example, this vessel can handle the 6G of deceleration necessary for an Eve landing with ease-it's rated for Jooldiving as well, should you feel the need to send it into a gas giant:

vs2GDke.png

Note: I am using Realistic Atmospheres, so YMMV

P.S. You might want to consider using BOSS to take your screenshots. The Steam screenshotter is a potato.

Edited by voicey99

4 hours ago, protoz said:

Is that on the Mun?

Yes, it is.  I'm still learning so I didn't want to be too far from a supplies launch just yet.

That's a nice base.  A lot of agriculture, how many Kerbals are you supporting there?

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Yes, it is.  I'm still learning so I didn't want to be too far from a supplies launch just yet.

That's a nice base.  A lot of agriculture, how many Kerbals are you supporting there?

Its 7 atm but im not even sure what im doing there. I only need a crew of 2 for K+ harvesting(engi for drills & pilot for planetary storage) and minmus is much easier to settle for colony rewards. Are kolony rewards better on Eeloo than mun if the Kolonization is identical?

Dear RoverDude
How are you, long time don't see ( or long time I don't complain heheheheh)

Don't know where can I add this because is so generic and cover some different mods.

1º stupid question..
Where the hell can I use rocks ??

2º stupid question ...
How can I make a full eco system that refresh it self on supplies without and mining ( like in TAC we have recycles ) but in life support mod there is nothing that can do the same ??

3º stupid question...
ok, is nice to have a mini drill but its take to F. long to mine anything, why don't you make the other drill access sooner ?? 

Now some request:

1º can you please set the .625 nuclear reactor to be next to the nuclear engine, they can discover the rest later on using the advance science but makes sense they having the mini reactor with the LV-N.

2º The DERP inflatable escape pod needs more mass, please set that thing to 0.35, right now looks unbelievable.

3º can you please set the recycle unit to also recycle fertilizer.

Love your mods and congrats for the parts on the squad folder.

Best regards

12 minutes ago, custume said:

1º stupid question..

They are fuel for the Mass Driver engines from the other USI mod Asteroid Recycling Technologies (the only other source is 'roid mining). If you don't have ART (installed separately or bundled with the Constellation), I need to review the cfg as they shouldn't be being produced.

2º stupid question ...
How can I make a full eco system that refresh it self on supplies without and mining ( like in TAC we have recycles ) but in life support mod there is nothing that can do the same ??

You can't. Recyclers can reduce your supply usage and fertiliser is a lot more mass-efficient than supplies when being shipped, but it's impossible to be entirely closed-loop.

3º stupid question...
ok, is nice to have a mini drill but its take to F. long to mine anything, why don't you make the other drill access sooner ?? 

Not sure what you're referring to. All three drills (plus auto variants) in MKS come with the same tech.

Edited by voicey99

57 minutes ago, custume said:

Dear RoverDude
How are you, long time don't see ( or long time I don't complain heheheheh)

Don't know where can I add this because is so generic and cover some different mods.

1º stupid question..

2º stupid question ...

3º stupid question...

Now some request:

1º can you please set the .625 nuclear reactor to be next to the nuclear engine, they can discover the rest later on using the advance science but makes sense they having the mini reactor with the LV-N.

2º The DERP inflatable escape pod needs more mass, please set that thing to 0.35, right now looks unbelievable.

3º can you please set the recycle unit to also recycle fertilizer.

Love your mods and congrats for the parts on the squad folder.

Best regards

1.  ART uses rock.

2.  You cannot achieve 100% self sufficiency with USI-LS without some external input.  This is by design.  A 100% closed loop is, for all practical purposes, impossible.  A self sufficient base is trivial.

3.  There are already large drills.  Also make sure you have an engineer.

Requests:

1.  They are fairly close in CTT,  but open a github issue.

2.  Matter of opinion.  Unless I have crowds yelling about balance, I tend to leave things as is.

3.  No, this is by design.  

Thanks

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

1.  ART uses rock.

2.  You cannot achieve 100% self sufficiency with USI-LS without some external input.  This is by design.  A 100% closed loop is, for all practical purposes, impossible.  A self sufficient base is trivial.

3.  There are already large drills.  Also make sure you have an engineer.

Requests:

1.  They are fairly close in CTT,  but open a github issue.

2.  Matter of opinion.  Unless I have crowds yelling about balance, I tend to leave things as is.

3.  No, this is by design.  

Thanks

Thank you so much for the answers
Fair enough, you got good points,
I can open on GitHub but do I use the MKS one or the other ones, is that you have several projects.

Thank you so much and keep up the wonderful job

Best regards

5 hours ago, voicey99 said:

They are fuel for the Mass Driver engines from the other USI mod Asteroid Recycling Technologies (the only other source is 'roid mining). If you don't have ART (installed separately or bundled with the Constellation), I need to review the cfg as they shouldn't be being produced.

You can't. Recyclers can reduce your supply usage and fertiliser is a lot more mass-efficient than supplies when being shipped, but it's impossible to be entirely closed-loop.

Not sure what you're referring to. All three drills (plus auto variants) in MKS come with the same tech.

Thank you so much for the details

4 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Also @custume if you actually want someone like @RoverDude to respond I'd tone down the questions.  Dropping references to cursewords etc isn't going to really motivate him to do anything other than ignore you.

edit

Or maybe He'll answer anyhow... :D

I´m sorry but I did not use any tone, well normally I talk like this and this is not the 1º time I ask stuff in the forum.
English is not my natural language and if I did sound like bad them I am sorry, not my intention.

I use the "curseword" has a joke not anything else.

Best regards to all