[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Out of curiosity, is there a way to harvest from a resource lode other than by grabbing it with a Klaw?  I tried attaching to one with a grappling hook fired from a KAS winch, but the dirt sifter didn't "see" it.  (I guess the lode still counts as a separate vessel even when hooked that way.)

Not that there's anything really wrong with the Klaw, but it looks a little weird on the back of a Karibou.  :wink:

@Wyzard Using a KAS pipe to connect to a lode works fine. Or I prefer having an EVA Kerbal attach it directly onto a flatbed for transport to a base for processing - may need one of the Konstruction crane/forklift parts fitted to the collection rover to act as a force multiplier to get around the KAS mass limit.

@Wyzard Using a KAS pipe to connect to a lode works fine.

Hmm, interesting, so I can just attach a CC-R2 connector to the rock and then link it to the rover.  That's a lot easier than trying to get a Klaw lined up just right to grab it, and it frees up the rear Karibou node for another sifter to process the lode faster.  :)

Or I prefer having an EVA Kerbal attach it directly onto a flatbed for transport to a base for processing - may need one of the Konstruction crane/forklift parts fitted to the collection rover to act as a force multiplier to get around the KAS mass limit.

The lode is 25 tons, which is too heavy for any of the Konstruction parts — the strongest is the forklift, which goes up to 22 tons — so I'd need more than one of them, or several kerbals to help.  But I do kinda like the idea of having a Karibou flatbed attached my base, and carrying the lode there to be processed by the base's sifters.  I may do that later, if I send a forklift to my base.

Thanks!

This looks fun!

2 questions though:

So long as I don't build any bases, will this affect any other part of gameplay? (I already use USI LS by itself)

Is it okay if I download this mod, and (for my own independent use only) I delete all the parts except for the karibou rover? I really liked that rover but my KSP takes a while to load right now so the fewer parts it loads the better.

I can't wait to try mks lite and then go over to mks.

6 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

This looks fun!

2 questions though:

So long as I don't build any bases, will this affect any other part of gameplay? (I already use USI LS by itself)

Is it okay if I download this mod, and (for my own independent use only) I delete all the parts except for the karibou rover? I really liked that rover but my KSP takes a while to load right now so the fewer parts it loads the better.

I can't wait to try mks lite and then go over to mks.

The only effect is the astronaut complex, and most of those options can be turned off.

For your own use, go crazy :)

Also - MKS Lite is deprecated, turns out you can get to the same place by turning off machinery consumption in the MKS configs

35 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

MKS Lite is deprecated, turns out you can get to the same place by turning off machinery consumption in the MKS configs

Might I suggest you put this impossible-to-miss notice at the top of the OP for MKS Lite to make obvious the fact that it's depreciated?

!!!DEPRECIATED-NOW INCLUDED IN MKS!!!

49 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Might I suggest you put this impossible-to-miss notice at the top of the OP for MKS Lite to make obvious the fact that it's depreciated.

And, yet, some will continue to miss it.  Nothing is impossible :cool:

Edited by Brigadier

8 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I can't recall the last time I've checked the OP of most mods I use.  Better to just have the  MKS-lite thread locked.

I check them all the time, usually to get the download link. (since I don't use CKAN) Also, most modders are still pretty good about putting relevant updates in the OP. I'll admit I am likely in the minority for checking the OP.

OP checker here, always (although I've been known to derp and misread).

Honestly, the argument (not that Roverdude has ever made it) that it's pointless to put updates in the OP because some don't read it is rather frustrating to those of us who always take to time to at least attempt to study up on a mod we plan to use.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

I check them all the time, usually to get the download link. (since I don't use CKAN) Also, most modders are still pretty good about putting relevant updates in the OP. I'll admit I am likely in the minority for checking the OP.

I have the github repo's bookmarked personally.

1 hour ago, Mandella said:

OP checker here, always (although I've been known to derp and misread).

Honestly, the argument (not that Roverdude has ever made it) that it's pointless to put updates in the OP because some don't read it is rather frustrating to those of us who always take to time to at least attempt to study up on a mod we plan to use.

I don't know that anyone has argued it is pointless to update the OP.  But if a mod is dead (such as MKS-Lite) it seems better to have the thread locked.

Just now, goldenpsp said:

I don't know that anyone has argued it is pointless to update the OP.  But if a mod is dead (such as MKS-Lite) it seems better to have the thread locked.

if people don't even read huge, red text at the very top of the page, they aren't going to scroll down and check if it's locked.

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

if people don't even read huge, red text at the very top of the page, they aren't going to scroll down and check if it's locked.

On the other hand, there are those of us who make a practice of reading the first post and the last page of the thread when checking out a mod.

Better to support good behavior, even when it's not expected, then to assume only bad behavior.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

well moot point, since I remembered @RoverDude already had the MKS-lite thread locked. 

it is locked and a message posted at the end to say it's been integrated into MKS. But we still get people washing up here thinking it's still separate and alive.

Just now, DStaal said:

On the other hand, there are those of us who make a practice of reading the first post and the last page of the thread when checking out a mod.

Better to support good behavior, even when it's not expected, then to assume only bad behavior.

There is a message on the last page stating it's been depreciated, but they evidently don't bother to read it.

Edited by voicey99

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

it is locked and a message posted at the end to say it's been integrated into MKS. But we still get people washing up here thinking it's still separate and alive.

There is a message on the last page stating it's been depreciated, but they evidently don't bother to read it.

I think people are much more likely to read an OP than the final post in a locked thread. That said, if there's one thing you can be certain of, certain issues are going to periodically occur - CKAN, MKS-Lite, and people who don't read the OP or last 5 pages of a thread.

17 minutes ago, panarchist said:

I think people are much more likely to read an OP than the final post in a locked thread. That said, if there's one thing you can be certain of, certain issues are going to periodically occur - CKAN, MKS-Lite, and people who don't read the OP or last 5 pages of a thread.

MKS Lite isn't on CKAN, nor is it even in the "all" list (suggesting it never was) and the only place to download it is the old thread (and the git repo has been deleted, so that's not possible any more anyway). In fact, it might be better to just delete the MKSL thread outright as all it does is document a defunct and extinct mod and confuse newbs.

If it can't be deleted, a big and eye-catching banner at the top to catch visitors' attention and make then read it is the next best thing.

Edited by voicey99

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

MKS Lite isn't on CKAN, nor is it even in the "all" list (suggesting it never was) and the only place to download it is the old thread (and the git repo has been deleted, so that's not possible any more anyway). In fact, it might be better to just delete the MKSL thread outright as all it does is document a defunct and extinct mod and confuse newbs.

If it can't be deleted, a big and eye-catching banner at the top to catch visitors' attention and make then read it is the next best thing.

It's also on Spacedock.

Just now, panarchist said:

It's also on Spacedock.

You have to go digging to find that, and very few people will unless they are specifically looking for it. If the thread is removed, the SD listing should be as well to wipe the slate clean.

Just now, voicey99 said:

You have to go digging to find that, and very few people will unless they are specifically looking for it. If the thread is removed, the SD listing should be as well to wipe the slate clean.

Click on "RoverDude" in Spacedock, or search for "mks-lite" brings it right up. I wouldn't call that "digging". It's easy to find for most people who don't use CKAN.

Just want to mention that PAL rovers are the best thing in the world, no idea how I'd play MKS without them.

QtD5OH9.jpg

P.S. Is it possible to add the ground tether module to the Akita core? It'll help immensely with grabbing/moving heavy stuff with magnets.