[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Kerbalism's incompatibility with MKS runs much deeper than missing a feature that doesn't exist yet. Kerbalism breaks many stock background features, and this breaks MKS. Also they're both giant mods with many redundant features. 

Bingo.  Probably a better question would be to ask why Kerbalism does a blanket override of core stock functions vs. using an opt-in model.  No, there are no compatibility plans (if anything, I need to get around to including an explicit lack of compatibility via CKAN).

10 hours ago, DStaal said:

In theory it's possible, but it'd be a lot of work: You can specify a recipe on a per-part basis, but there isn't a way to specify based on anything but the part name.  So if you were to go through and make a list of all the small/large parts, you could put the shorter list on dedicated recipes while you put the larger on generic recipes.

Not something I'd ship as part of a mod - it's way to fiddly - but if you want to go to the work for your own use, go ahead.  :wink:

i have no coding exp or knowledge to speak of at all. but perhaps you could use a check code after a craft is selected that if its part count is over say 20 or its tons count over say 5 or the required resource exceeds say 2000 rocket parts that it swaps to the MKS parts from rocketparts. Again no idea but thats the thought I had.

10 minutes ago, wenth said:

i have no coding exp or knowledge to speak of at all. but perhaps you could use a check code after a craft is selected that if its part count is over say 20 or its tons count over say 5 or the required resource exceeds say 2000 rocket parts that it swaps to the MKS parts from rocketparts. Again no idea but thats the thought I had.

That would require a serious rewrite of EL - in many ways EL doesn't really care about crafts, it cares about collections of parts.  The resources needed is a sum of the resources needed for every part in the craft.

Anyway, we're getting fairly off-topic here.  I wanted to reply with the changing recipes idea because it was fairly close to on-topic, and wasn't something that was likely to ever get into an EL distribution.  Now we're talking about changing the main function of EL, which if you wanted to try you'd have better luck on over in that thread.  (Instead of this one where EL gets only second-class support: Ground Construction is the preferred method of offworld building in MKS.)

On 10/8/2017 at 8:20 PM, Johould said:

Based on peeking around near the changed code, it looks like the added categories are filters based off the USI manufacturer names. Maybe I will try making custom CCK categories instead.

Yep, everything except the order of the category buttons in the VAB seems to end up woking just the same if I delete PartCatalog.cs from USITools and then set up some CCK categories along these lines:

@CCKExtraFilterConfig
{
     Item
     {
             name = Manufacturing
             tag = cck-manufacturing
             normalIcon = 000_USITools/Manufacturing_N
             selectedIcon = 000_USITools/Manufacturing_S
             usedByMod = UmbraSpaceIndustries
     }
}
@PART[*]:HAS[#manufacturer[USI?-?Manufacturing?Division],~tags[*cck-manufacturing*]]
{
  @tags ^= :$: cck-manufacturing:
  &tags = cck-manufacturing
}

What has happened to the orbital shipyard? Was this part removed in favor of ground construction mod? For some reason I can not find any EL related modules although both mods(MKS and EL) are installed.

Technically, the part is still present in the mod and I have found part definition in cfg files. Furthermore, in career mode the part is also present in the research tree and can be unlocked. However, neither in career mode nor in sandbox I can locate the part in part menu. Searching for orbital or shipyard does not help at all. I am not using any filter extensions.

Edited by Mine_Turtle

3 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

What has happened to the orbital shipyard? Was this part removed in favor of ground construction mod? For some reason I can not find any EL related modules although both mods(MKS and EL) are installed.

Technically, the part is still present in the mod and I have found part definition in cfg files. Furthermore, in career mode the part is also present in the research tree and can be unlocked. However, neither in career mode nor in sandbox I can locate the part in part menu. Searching for orbital or shipyard does not help at all. I am not using any filter extensions.

That part has been deprecated.

Where can I get the old MkIII,MkV and OKS Parts(I know that they are still avaliabe because I have seen them in a Youtube video which was recorded on 1.2.2)I´m playing on 1.3.I also tried copying the Files of the into MKS for 1.3 but that didn´t worked.PLEASE help me.

8 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

This Part is still avaliabe.You can find it in the advanded mode of the UI where you can get your parts from.Once you found it you should save it in a custom category.you can also find the EL building platform there.

Edited by Dragonking
extra information

12 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

That is really awesome. How am I supposed to build ships in orbit now?

If you change USI - * LEGACY * in the Manufacturer line of the partfile to USI - Manufacturing Division (as was the original), you can find them in the Manufacturing tab. You can also install Filter Extensions, and in Advanced Mode you can find them in Filter by Cross-Sectional Profile → Octo3, but either way I don't think they have any functionality any more. You could copy across the part config from a version before v0.50.15 or earlier to restore both their presence and functionality, if that works.

Edited by voicey99

5 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

That is really awesome. How am I supposed to build ships in orbit now?

EL comes with its own parts... you would have had to install it for this to work anyway.  Just don't depend on the old MKS parts as those models are eventually going to be deleted.

I asked before for the old parts and i got messages of people who replied to my question but i can´t find the replies and my(I can´t find them at the bell)and they should appear at the last page but they don´t do and i don´t clicked the message at the side because i was playing KSP.I think somehow the website insn´t actualising(I already clicked the reload button,restarted the browser and thied again on anther browser).HOW CAN I FIX THIS??

10 minutes ago, Urses said:

I mean the MKS adaption for EL Shipbuilding module. This one looked unic. No offense but this part was realy great! IMPO the model was beautiful.

That'll be one for Taniwha to do. EPL support has been (officially, at any rate - the patches still work, I think) dropped for MKS, so there won't be a replacement unfortunately. Maybe when Ground Construction finally gets orbital parts (in about [insert arbitrary large number here] years), they can be modelled in the same style.

Edited by voicey99

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

The form factor they used is no longer used on any MKS parts, plus the textures were pretty rough.  Once @allista has a version of GC that works in orbit, new parts will be created :)

So, let me rephrase that to see if I understand it correctly:

Support for EL, a mature mod, that adds capabilities to build crafts in space(and was working perfectly with MKS), has been dropped in favor of a new mod, GC, that does not have ability to build crafts via an orbital shipyard(and it may or may not be added), because EL parts did not look good enough when connected to MKS parts.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

If you change USI - * LEGACY * in the Manufacturer line of the partfile to USI - Manufacturing Division (as was the original), you can find them in the Manufacturing tab. You can also install Filter Extensions, and in Advanced Mode you can find them in Filter by Cross-Sectional Profile → Octo3, but either way I don't think they have any functionality any more.

Don't do that.  The point of the 'legacy' parts is so that you can upgrade to a new version of MKS without having old ships break.  The intent is that you can then retire them, without losing your save.  Eventually however the parts will be removed from the MKS download, and any ships built using your methods will break.  Copy them over to a different folder and keep that around if you want to, but don't play tricks to get them to show and expect things to work going forward.

2 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

So, let me rephrase that to see if I understand it correctly:

Support for EL, a mature mod, that adds capabilities to build crafts in space(and was working perfectly with MKS), has been dropped in favor of a new mod, GC, that does not have ability to build crafts via an orbital shipyard(and it may or may not be added), because EL parts did not look good enough when connected to MKS parts.

EL parts were removed because EL didn't feel 'right' or realistic to RoverDude, and he wanted a better solution.  GC is very close to what he was looking for, so he's fully supporting it.  If you want to use EL, nothing in MKS prevents you from doing so, but there isn't going to be *dedicated* support for doing so in MKS.  (There are community-supplied MM patches to provide basic support, but there aren't going to be parts dedicated to supporting it.)

Looks weren't a concern - MKS had long hidden all of EL's own parts anyway.  The fact that the form factor MKS's dedicated EL parts was in was retired was: Since the form factor was retired and dedicated support had been removed, no parts were made in the new form factor.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think we should probably have kept EPL support for a while longer until GC has reached the same feature level as EPL. While I think it is shaping up to be a better replacement, as it is, it doesn't really seem "complete" with no from-scratch construction or on-orbit craft assembly.

Just now, voicey99 said:

If I'm being perfectly honest, I think we should probably have kept EPL support for a while longer until GC has reached the same feature level as EPL. While I think it is shaping up to be a better replacement, as it is, it doesn't really seem "complete" with no from-scratch construction or on-orbit craft assembly.

Well other than losing a couple of parts (of which you can use EL parts as a substitute) nothing really has changed.  You still have the config that works, which is the most important part.  I can fully understand @RoverDude not wanting to continue maintaining the parts.