[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

26 minutes ago, jd284 said:

If your FireSpitter is up to date, you should be getting an onscreen message saying which resource it was repainted for. Even easier than trying to remember ISM numbering or kontainer abbreviations.

Really? Hmm... I'm not seeing that. Time to hunt for updates, I guess.

Thanks to all for the replies.  I'll also try and sandbox this over the weekend and look at actuals and not VAB.  I started launching some stations in LKO to get a handle on it and will continue.

FYI, the life support window will not display anything over 100 years, which means it's not Y.1K compatible. ^_^

15 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

Alright, that clears things up.. I have been taking the LS Tanks and just attaching them to landers and landing them in range;  However if the lander had an inflatable storage [for supplies] , then that would work?

Hi, there are a few scenarios to watch out for:

1. If you start out using the Ranger Hab inflatables only on a base, the supplies and mulch storage are not warehouse enabled, so there is no way to pull supplies from a nearby container.  You will need another warehouse container that is also set to Supplies attached to the base, like the inflatable warehouse, the mini packs, etc. If you are planning to resupply Supplies by landing containers or by using a disconnected base to make them, then the containers you use don't need to be large, they just need to be able to pull from those nearby warehouses
  2. I had a situation where I have unattended mining bases that have some hab capability, so if I need extra output, I can send an Engineer/Miner for a month or so to speed up drilling.  I used the little mini pak of supplies on the base.  It started running low after a while and I wanted to use PL to resupply.  I forgot to land a Pilot, so I could not pull supplies from PL. But, since the base had a warehouse container and so did my lander, I can use local logistics to transfer supplies from lander to base, or just use scavenging to pull the supplies from the lander.

So, make sure you figure out the flow of resources you wish to use.  Always check in the VAB to make sure the containers you are using have the proper functionality, like warehousing.  And note that scavenging is a pull function on request, meaning that unless something is consuming the resource and needs to get more, the transfer wont take place

9 hours ago, Merkov said:

Really? Hmm... I'm not seeing that. Time to hunt for updates, I guess.

It should look like this. Pretty sure the message comes from Firespitter, at least the version that's in the USI constellation.

screenshot62.jpg

1 hour ago, Toonu said:

Hi @RoverDude I have a idea. What about adding radiation in addition to habitation into this amazing mod? I know it can be very hard to code algoritms for different radiation zones or dark side of planets/etc. But what do you think?  Thanks for any reply! Toonu

I'm pretty sure that's on his long-term plans for USI-LS, he's mentioned it once or twice.  But that's long-term, and when and how (and even if he'll get to it...) are probably still open.

I would think that that sort of stuff kinda goes beyond the scope of USI-LS (which has its own thread btw). USI-LS is designed as an 'intermediate' LS mod-i.e. more advanced than a mod like Snacks but nowhere near as punishing as TAC. Having to contend with cosmic rays, radiation belts and shielding just doesn't seem like something a more 'kerbal' mod like USI-LS would do. I did see a few references to reactor radiation on the LS thread, but nothing about space background rads. If you want space rads, check out this mod (not compatible with MKS) as pact of the Realism Overhaul:

Also @jd284 since when have kontainers been able to jettison their contents?

Edited by voicey99

19 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I would think that that sort of stuff kinda goes beyond the scope of USI-LS (which has its own thread btw). USI-LS is designed as an 'intermediate' LS mod-i.e. more advanced than a mod like Snacks but nowhere near as punishing as TAC. Having to contend with cosmic rays, radiation belts and shielding just doesn't seem like something a more 'kerbal' mod like USI-LS would do. I did see a few references to reactor radiation on the LS thread, but nothing about space background rads. If you want space rads, check out this mod (not compatible with MKS) as pact of the Realism Overhaul:

Actually I had in version 1.1.3 Kerbalism and Kerbalism+USI LS+MKS(+other USI mods) together and it worked nice together. I just disabled all aspects of Kerbalism except radiation and malfunctions. But now, when I have Kerbalism, its incopatible with some mods, so I have to use DangIt instead malfunctions. But there isn't any other radiation mod, so I just suggested one small idea to filll the gap. :D

Are there any oher radiation or malfunctions mod nowadays?

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

I added that function via MM patch since it doesn't make sense that there's no way to throw out stuff.

Spoiler

@PART[C3_*Tank*,C3_Flat*,C3_Kontainer*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleKISInventory],!MODULE[ModuleFuelJettison]] {
        MODULE { name = ModuleFuelJettison }
}

4 hours ago, jd284 said:

I added that function via MM patch since it doesn't make sense that there's no way to throw out stuff.

Thanks for the MM snippet definitely adding it to my game, given that you can already eradicate contents by repainting (just tediously needing to repaint a dozen times to get back to where you were) the lack of a jettison convenience function has bothered me for some time.

52 minutes ago, blakemw said:

Thanks for the MM snippet definitely adding it to my game, given that you can already eradicate contents by repainting (just tediously needing to repaint a dozen times to get back to where you were) the lack of a jettison convenience function has bothered me for some time.

If you want a generalized version (doesn't cover MKS cans, does cover most any other sort of fuel tank) you can find it here: http://spacedock.info/mod/171/Jettison Fuel

Considering the generally magical nature of plumbing in KSP, I don't think there's any need to justify the notion that you can ditch unneeded resources. The weight and cost of insane-o-pumps appears to be included in the weight and cost of the tank, right? Might as well put in a dumping valve while you're at it.

EDIT: Though be a little careful, because it'll dump every resource in a part. If your command capsule has extra monoprop, for instance, make sure to dump it in sunlight because you'll (somehow) jettison the part's EC as well. Same for LFO tanks: if you brought oxidizer for a lander but you're gonna use the LF for your mothership nuke engines, say, move the LF out of the tank before dumping.

Edited by zabieru

8 hours ago, dlrk said:

I wouldn't say USI-LS is easier than TAC. If anything, habitation makes it more difficult.

I play with both USI-LS and TAC.

They overlap in a roleplaying sense, but honestly TAC demands so little in comparison to USI-LS that it's borderline irrelevant.

TAC, one kerbal one year, not counting EC: 443.5kg

4GKOEHP.png

USI-LS, one kerbal one year, not counting EC: 7,370kg

WmXVRpH.png

Edited by revolioclockbergjr

Hi @RoverDude I am having a little frustration with karborundum. See, I find myself wanting a lot of it very quickly, and the sun is too hard to not blow up in and eve is just a pain, so I'm left with eeloo. I have just unlocked warp drives in KSPIE so getting there is no problem, the thing I have issues with is actually mining the stuff. The best spot I've found (after a not too thorough search)  had a surface abundance of like .11%, ( how high does it go?) So I decided to get a test craft running to see what kind of haul I can pull in. I finalized a design that got like 7000 karborundum in a day but it had like 300 drills on it and it was so laggy I couldn't stand to fly it. So I guess what I'm asking is like, could you maybe add karbonite/orundum mining functionality to a much bigger drill, or like make tweakscale compatible with the drills? I'd much rather just fly one 500 ton drill to eeloo with 300x the mining power of a single drill.

I figured if you spawn (launch) a construction port docked, "undock"/detach it via KAS, attach at some other vessel then the port still thinks its docked!

The worst part of that .. if you click undock it crashes your game.

I'm sorry if that's a known thing but just making sure.

Regards

@Jumberlack I have mined Karborundum from everywhere possible and I would say that the sun is 10 times easier than asteroid mining which is in turn 10 times easier than both Eeloo and Eve. Eeloo and Eve should probably be easier. At the moment I would rather just buy Karborundum in the VAB with mission earned funds than try mining it on either of those planets.

6 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

@Jumberlack I have mined Karborundum from everywhere possible and I would say that the sun is 10 times easier than asteroid mining which is in turn 10 times easier than both Eeloo and Eve. Eeloo and Eve should probably be easier. At the moment I would rather just buy Karborundum in the VAB with mission earned funds than try mining it on either of those planets.

IMO you shoudn't be able to buy it in VAB. Because there isn't any of it on Kerbin. 

Hey guys, do you know what "Enable Weight Transfer" actually does?

I have noticed it on a few parts now (for example FTT parts, the Ranger Anchor Hub, ...). It does something to the CoM, seemingly taking the masses of the attached parts and adding it to the current part.

But what exactly does this affect? All attached parts? All surface-attached parts?  All surface-attached parts and their children? All ships parts? Does it matter at which parts I activate it?

8 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

I have noticed it on a few parts now (for example FTT parts, the Ranger Anchor Hub, ...). It does something to the CoM, seemingly taking the masses of the attached parts and adding it to the current part.

But what exactly does this affect? All attached parts? All surface-attached parts?  All surface-attached parts and their children? All ships parts? Does it matter at which parts I activate it?

A handful of node-attached MKS parts, mainly Ranger ones.

Edited by sh1pman

4 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

It sets all attached leaf parts with ModuleWeightDistributableCargo to physicsless which causes their mass to be added to the parent part.

By leaf parts I mean any such parts without further parts attached to them.

Oh and if you enable it on a leaf part, it directly applies to that part instead.

Argh!!!  That crappy moment when you have your beautiful orbital ship with 16Y of hab and 2Y of supplies that is practically extendable past the hab lifetime, with EPL-enabled construction capabilities, a small fleet of mining drop ships for small-moon-mining, all in preparation to provide some orbital support for early-stage bases on Duna... and you realize... in orbit around Ike... that you didn't pack the one thing you need a starter supply of no matter what: Organics. 

Dammit...

Well, at least I have a long runway for resupply, so I can wait for a cheap window and send extra stuff.  But I was hoping to do it in one shot. 

On a related note... is there any plan or notion as to whether or how an orbital ship can participate in planetary logistics? It seems to me that putting something into orbit is only marginally more costly than getting it to the other side of the planet, if you dont' already have a full blown transportation infrastructure and economy on that planet (e.g. cargo ships and planes).  I can't imagine it's unreasonable for a Low-Duna-Orbital base to get resupply, or drop orbitally manufactured stuff (from captured asteroids, or Ike-mined resources, etc.)  Obviously some costs should be incurred to take things from PlanetLog into orbit, but it should be doable.  I guess I can manually do it, but that's frustrating after enough launches.  Thoughts, RoverDude?

23 minutes ago, subitan said:

Argh!!!  That crappy moment when you have your beautiful orbital ship with 16Y of hab and 2Y of supplies that is practically extendable past the hab lifetime, with EPL-enabled construction capabilities, a small fleet of mining drop ships for small-moon-mining, all in preparation to provide some orbital support for early-stage bases on Duna... and you realize... in orbit around Ike... that you didn't pack the one thing you need a starter supply of no matter what: Organics. 

Dammit...

Well, at least I have a long runway for resupply, so I can wait for a cheap window and send extra stuff.  But I was hoping to do it in one shot. 

On a related note... is there any plan or notion as to whether or how an orbital ship can participate in planetary logistics? It seems to me that putting something into orbit is only marginally more costly than getting it to the other side of the planet, if you dont' already have a full blown transportation infrastructure and economy on that planet (e.g. cargo ships and planes).  I can't imagine it's unreasonable for a Low-Duna-Orbital base to get resupply, or drop orbitally manufactured stuff (from captured asteroids, or Ike-mined resources, etc.)  Obviously some costs should be incurred to take things from PlanetLog into orbit, but it should be doable.  I guess I can manually do it, but that's frustrating after enough launches.  Thoughts, RoverDude?

We used to have this. It was called PlanetaryLogistics. It's going to hopefully make a come back at some point.

OrbitalLogistics

Edited by dboi88