[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, LatiMacciato said:

that was not my point, I think 'better' is a choise of taste. KIS/KAS is not maintained by RD

In this case, it's the only opinion that matters.  There will be zero KIS/KAS support going forward.  I've already gone through and removed it from all configs, patches, etc. and replaced with stock system support.

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

1) not all stock parts seem to have the metadata to support it(it looks like only things smaller than 1.25m?  the 1.25m ore tank  for example has no metadata)

2) I have not seen any indication that it supports collective activity or other force multipliers(ie fork-lifts and other construction equipment that let you handle larger parts)

1.  USI parts have the appropriate metadata in the next release, and I expect other mods will either follow suit or someone will make a very simple MM patch.

2.  Konstruction adds this and is bundled with MKS, so all good.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Not sure what squad has planned, but ATM stock cannot replicate certain features of KAS
Namely, fuel hoses and winches

The only KAS piece USI has is a fairly buggy pipe.    It will be deprecated or at the very least, completely not supported.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Not sure what squad has planned, but ATM stock cannot replicate certain features of KAS
Namely, fuel hoses and winches

And they really don't have to.  The inventory/attachment capabilities are not part of KAS.  All you need is to be able to put KAS items in stock inventory and use stock assembly to attach them.

I have no idea where KIS is headed, and I know I will miss it a bit simply because I've used it for years and it has added a lot of gameplay.

But as far as KAS goes I think (per its author) it will be taking a new direction and do a redesign to add functionality on top of stock's new functionality, focusing on things that stock lacks.   So a lack of support for old KAS in the USI constellation will really not lose anything.  I expect after the rework, I will be using KAS in its new form, and RD may likely find some utility with it at that point and revisit this at that time but not now.

Bottom line: You cant do everything for everyone, and choices need to be made.  RD has his vision, design and functionality in mind, and he is doing what he sees best to fit that in code, and has explained why.  I think that's about all that needs to be said at this point.

FYI, further discussion of  probably would be more productive in the KAS forum thread to explore how it the next version of KAS can use USI assets and provide MM scripts.

Edited by Murdabenne

Should the larger drills have more than one bay? I feel like the larger drills are supposed to have more than one bay. KSP 1.11. Latest full release constellation. No other mods. Have another install where I'm trying to plan a base, but the larger drills having only one bay makes things... complicated.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nMDyB1z

1 hour ago, GnarlyVonDudeBro said:

Should the larger drills have more than one bay? I feel like the larger drills are supposed to have more than one bay. KSP 1.11. Latest full release constellation. No other mods. Have another install where I'm trying to plan a base, but the larger drills having only one bay makes things... complicated.

https://imgur.com/gallery/nMDyB1z

Not any more.

Multiple bays was mostly a way to divide up the total drill capacity, and it caused enough problems to just ditch it, I believe.

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

The only KAS piece USI has is a fairly buggy pipe.    It will be deprecated or at the very least, completely not supported.

This is the one thing that I believe that Stock is missing when comparing to KIS/KAS: being able to temporarily connect two different vessels (whitout using the glitchy claw). But I fully support RD's on sticking to stock while also respecting the KIS/KAS legacy as @Murdabenne mentioned.

Actualy, I got back to KSP after about one year away just after 1.11 and WOLF release and I didn't even install KIS/KAS. Which is why now I am trying to find out how to assamble USI part on stock... I will keep trying :kiss:

1 hour ago, CateredCarrot said:

This is the one thing that I believe that Stock is missing when comparing to KIS/KAS: being able to temporarily connect two different vessels (whitout using the glitchy claw). But I fully support RD's on sticking to stock while also respecting the KIS/KAS legacy as @Murdabenne mentioned.

Actualy, I got back to KSP after about one year away just after 1.11 and WOLF release and I didn't even install KIS/KAS. Which is why now I am trying to find out how to assamble USI part on stock... I will keep trying :kiss:

And as I said above it really isn't a comparison.  Stock can be compared to KIS.    KAS at this point is  a collection of handy parts.  They do not require KIS to function. 

I've enjoyed watching Roverdude's Twitch feeds on the new science parts. Anyone know if he's planning on including them in MKS, or will they be a separate package such as Sounding Rockets or Malemute Rover? I want be be sure to follow the discussion thread if there's a separate one.

I haven't watched all of the Twitch feeds, so sorry if I missed the answer in there.

@RoverDude, it seems that a subtle difference between MKS rover command pods has an effect on KSP bug #26961, where the game throws null reference errors and cannot be saved.

If I place a lander on the Mun (conventionally), and then use Hyperedit to drop a Malemute rover near that lander it will trigger issue #26961 before the lander touches the surface while in Career mode, but not while in Sandbox mode.  More interesting is that the Akita and Karibou rovers do not appear to trigger this bug in the same way. 

This bug is not confined to MKS rovers in any way, and was initially observed with the stock MK1-3 command pod.  It also happens with the stock MEM lander pod.

The first indication of a problem in the log file is:

[ERR 23:42:26.330] Input is null for field 'agent' in config node 'CONTRACT'
  at System.Environment.get_StackTrace () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at ConfigNode.AddValue (System.String name, System.String value) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at Contracts.Contract.Save (ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at Contracts.ContractSystem.OnSave (ConfigNode gameNode) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at ScenarioModule.Save (ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at ProtoScenarioModule..ctor (ScenarioModule module) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at ScenarioRunner.UpdateModules () [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at ScenarioRunner.GetUpdatedProtoModules () [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at Game.Updated (GameScenes startSceneOverride) [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at Game.Updated () [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at FlightDriver+<PostInit>d__34.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <2afc64dea36946459d4707808bdac511>:0
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0

I asked to have the priority of  issue #26961 raised, but the use of mods in my log files was an issue.  I was recommended that I test without mods, and to avoid the MK1-3 command pod, and discovered the Sandbox vs. Career mode behavior change. I am now testing in Sandbox mode with mods to verify if this (Sandbox mode) is a viable work-around.

I am hoping that the apparent difference in behavior of the MKS rover command pods might help resolve this game-killing bug.  What might be different between these rover command pods?

1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

I've enjoyed watching Roverdude's Twitch feeds on the new science parts. Anyone know if he's planning on including them in MKS, or will they be a separate package such as Sounding Rockets or Malemute Rover? I want be be sure to follow the discussion thread if there's a separate one.

I haven't watched all of the Twitch feeds, so sorry if I missed the answer in there.

Exploration Pack.  And they are all done and ready to go with the next release :)  They are going to be spread out pretty early and comparable in capabilities to stock science modules.  So most of them between 45 and 300 science, with a couple in the 550's which is where the last stock part is.

32 minutes ago, AtomicRocketBooster said:

Question: Are WOLF biomes different from regular biomes?
I ask because I have a couple WOLF survey devices scattered about the Mun and they all say WOLF Biome: Mun even though they're in different actual biomes (Midlands Craters, Midlands, Lowlands, etc)

A picture would help, but I can tell you that there are different biomes on the Mun, as far as I know, the same that regular biomes. And they should be named Mun: Lowlands, Mun: Highlands and so on.AptxIWZ.png

Edited by Tacombel

36 minutes ago, Tacombel said:

A picture would help, but I can tell you that there are different biomes on the Mun, as far as I know, the same that regular biomes. And they should be named Mun: Lowlands, Mun: Highlands and so on.AptxIWZ.png

So I've figured out the problem: I wrote a simple module manager config to add WOLF scanners to the Experiment Control Stations (I wanted to be able to rescan places where I've landed and done a scan before the WOLF update without actually visiting)

The original scanner seems to be working fine, but a deployed core 20m away is showing the wrong biome:

resource_scanner%20-%20Copy.png?dl=1control_core%20-%20Copy.png?dl=1

Here's the MM patch I'm using - I know this is a non-standard use case, but is there anything obviously wrong with what I'm doing? 

@PART[DeployedCentralStation]:NEEDS[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
	@tags = #$tags$ cck-usi-wolf

MODULE
	{
		name = WOLF_SurveyModule
		PartInfo = #autoLOC_USI_WOLF_SURVEYOR_PARTMODULE_INFO
	}
}

Do I need to add some more modules to get this to work properly?

15 minutes ago, Ollz said:

I Know this Mod Fits In With USI, Life Support, But will it Work With Kerbalism?

Highly unlikely. Kerbalism is not about colony building and is more realistic in those terms. They have fundamental differences in their playstyles.

57 minutes ago, TheRealMK245 said:

Hey @RoverDude

Are there airlocks for the new atlas parts? I don’t seem to have them.

On the list :)

29 minutes ago, Ollz said:

I Know this Mod Fits In With USI, Life Support, But will it Work With Kerbalism?

All bets are off with Kerbalism because of how invasive it is.  To be honest, I don't recommend it.