[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I've updated the tutorial guide now

Please let me know if you notice any errors, or anything that needs clarifying/expanding on.  Additionally, if you have any screenshots that you'd like included (I particularly want bases that don't follow my standard pattern), please let me know and I'll fit them in to the guide.  If anyone wants any of this to update the wiki let me know - I can supply lots of screenshots and have the tutorial text as a separate file that should be easier to pull into a wiki than getting it from the forum post.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, bigcalm said:

I'm just doing my own resource flowcharts - they still need quite a bit of work (and I likely need a 'combined' one) but I'm hoping to do ones that are sufficiently good that the wiki can be updated as well to include the new 'advanced' resources.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G8QKslpC_dN5PNtkkJUgEpcKuxmmSYaL/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tenYvvzflqYIO0H5DqQBKE7up1vvMEWq/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SwLaVginHPzGj27mRVaqzAdfJ0B5jzF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yAsxd3cMeSvJTUsQG3wjwX6ANRGyLcMU/view?usp=sharing

I really like the Charts. When i first started with MKS i had trouble getting the idea behind the industries, but visualizing it  helped me a great deal.

Though you should be trying to bring things in their own Industry closer together, and visualize that there is a reason behind their placement.

For example in Link 2, remove Ore-Fuel completely and bring Substrate/Metallic Ore/Minerals and their Product in their own Bubble. Same goes for Rare Metals/Exotic Minerals/Silicats. Also have multiple steps for final product. Material Kits have their use, but also can be turned into Machinery.

I haven't played around with the new stuff from Link 3 yet, so I don't know their actual use, but in your Graph, its not very clear what is mined, refined or consumable. I recommend making distinct Rows for Resource, Refined, Product and Final Product. Also don't shy away from using duplicates in the graph. Rather make production lines clearer then trying to link one resource to all things it can be used for.

Edited by Beardlongo

1 minute ago, Beardlongo said:

I really like the Charts. When i first started with MKS i had trouble getting the idea behind the industries, but visualizing it  helped me a great deal.

Though you should be trying to bring things in their own Industry closer together and visualize, that there is a reason behind their placement.

For example in Link 2, remove Ore-Fuel complete and bring Substrate/Metallic Ore/Minerals and their Product in their own Bubble. Same goes for Rare Metals/Exotic Minerals/Silicats. Also have multiple steps for final product. Material Kits have their use, but also can be turned into Machinery.

I haven't played around with the new stuff from Link 3 yet, so i dont know their actual use, but in your Graph, its not very clear what is mined, refined or consumable. I recommend making distinct Rows for Resource, Refined, Product and Final Product. Also dont shy away from using duplicates in the graph. Rather make production lines clearer then trying to link one resource to all things it can be used for.

Yeah, it's not easy to visualise, or draw.  I like the idea of splitting into separate 'Farming', 'Manufacturing' and 'Advanced' sections though as I've done in the guide, because the flowchart with all resources and all conversions in it is really complicated.  I'm happy to share the diagram(s) with you if you want to try and make them better.

I think it's ok, as to work out what you need to get, say, Refined Exotics, you just need to track the arrows backwards to the resources that feed into it - though you are right that there are arrows everywhere and it's a bit difficult to follow. 

I've also tried to separate out into "what processes this" sections rather than 'raw,refined,product' - i.e. if it's done at an Assembly bay or workshop, it's an advanced resource and is a yellow box.  If it's done at a Refinery, it's a refined resource and is a green box, if it's done at an agriculture module, it's an agriculture resource and is a purple box.  Each box should be coloured appropriately depending on what produces that resource (and in the "full" chart, they're different box shapes as well so that the colour-blind have a chance).  There's a key at the bottom of each flowchart.

I'm not sure what the difference would be between a 'Product' and a 'Final Product' would be?

I've tried another "full" resource diagram, this time with duplicate resource boxes, the font slightly larger, and no overlapping arrows.   Not entirely sure it works, it's now not particularly obvious how I look at the diagram and get e.g. Metals because it's now in two places.  Could also do with removing that "OR" circle by having multiple extra Supplies / Organics boxes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/108sPu-rTQWRUkm7XHfmB7EmzALy-B6-p/view?usp=sharing

cAW5qj3.png

MKS comes bundled with Firespitter. Since Firespitter is not of interest for me, I would like to know, what is safe to delete of Firespitter and still keep all functionality of MKS.

Am I correct to assume that if I keep "Firespitter.dll", I can delete all other files within "GameData/Firespitter/"?

Or should I keep all files and use a  MM-Patch like this to disable all Firespitter parts?

!PART[*]:HAS[#manufacturer[Bitesized?Industries]]:Final {
}

2 minutes ago, mhoram said:

MKS comes bundled with Firespitter. Since Firespitter is not of interest for me, I would like to know, what is safe to delete of Firespitter and still keep all functionality of MKS.

Am I correct to assume that if I keep "Firespitter.dll", I can delete all other files within "GameData/Firespitter/"?

Or should I keep all files and use a  MM-Patch like this to disable all Firespitter parts?

}

The biggie is the DLL - I'd just snuff the parts folder.

12 minutes ago, mhoram said:

}

You just need the dll and the single cfg in the Resources directory. Without that cfg the GUI for USI-LS is broken, not sure what else it might affect.

Hello

I'm playing 1.12.2 and trying the "unstable release v112.0.0".

So far everything ok, except the WOLF transport computer that does't allow to create routes like I remember it should. Instead there is only a "connect depot" button that make the ship disappear like if it was a WOLF modules. Is it supposed to work in this way or it is due to work in progress on the mod?

really thanks

44 minutes ago, DiegoKeys said:

Hello

I'm playing 1.12.2 and trying the "unstable release v112.0.0".

So far everything ok, except the WOLF transport computer that does't allow to create routes like I remember it should. Instead there is only a "connect depot" button that make the ship disappear like if it was a WOLF modules. Is it supposed to work in this way or it is due to work in progress on the mod?

really thanks

See this post. You need to fix a bugged cfg file to get the transport computer to appear in game.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:41 AM, bigcalm said:

I'm just doing my own resource flowcharts - they still need quite a bit of work (and I likely need a 'combined' one) but I'm hoping to do ones that are sufficiently good that the wiki can be updated as well to include the new 'advanced' resources.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G8QKslpC_dN5PNtkkJUgEpcKuxmmSYaL/view?usp=sharing

Great job.  On the MSK Resources chart, flip the Minerals and Gypsum resources to untangle the lines.

Edited by Brigadier
Bizarre forum duplication eliminated.

14 hours ago, dlrk said:

Finally got KSP 1.12 working!

Could I get some help understanding what the new Crew Transfers menu is? Something for transferring crew between WOLF bases?

Just like resources, you can use WOLF to transfer Kerbals between bases. You must have a terminal at bases at both ends of the route, and you have to use the transport computer with a crew container to define the route, but after that, you drop off Jeb at a terminal at, say, KSC, spend some transport credits, wait a little while, and have him appear at a terminal on another body or in orbit somewhere. Definitely end game type stuff due to the amount of build out required to build the WOLF terminal and transport credits, but can save some of the tedium of moving crew between bases.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:56 AM, Crimor said:

How do ya'lls kerbin>kerbin orbit wolf transports look? Making one that's remotely TC efficient is suffering.

I'm usually able to get about 2:1 or 3:1 (TCreds:payload) using space planes from KSC to LKO. A single-stage rocket would be next best. Multi-stage rockets impose a pretty hefty penalty since the route cost is based on the difference in mass between the beginning of the route and the end.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, dlrk said:

Was the KSPedia recompiled to work in the current version?

The MKS KSPedia stuff was created by a community member and unfortunately we don't have access to the source for it to recompile it (that I know of). -_-

On 9/6/2021 at 2:56 AM, Crimor said:

How do ya'lls kerbin>kerbin orbit wolf transports look? Making one that's remotely TC efficient is suffering.

SSTO+Orbital refueling depot.

I over-use ISRU, so I usually drop off plenty of fuel/ore at my orbital depot, making topping off a SSTO transport a trivial matter, thus giving me a nice discount on WOLF launch costs.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, Terwin said:

SSTO+Orbital refueling depot.

I over-use ISRU, so I usually drop off plenty of fuel/ore at my orbital depot, making topping off a SSTO transport a trivial matter, thus giving me a nice discount on WOLF launch costs.

Hi,

please can you explain better this solution? When creating a route with transport computer how a refuelling in orbit affect the transport credit?

Many thanks