Jump to content

[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)


RoverDude
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, PavelKCZ said:

1. The Tundra Power Distribution Unit needs an engineer on board. But how this engineer can go in and out ? What small part needs to be attached to the PDU to allow the engineer to go in/out ? I am planning to deploy this unit (and similar units) unmanned a send the crew later, when the basic colony will be put together via remote operation.

2. How the Microwave Power Transceiver and Tundra PDU are supposed to work ? I tried to launch the Tundra PDU (with Microwave Power Transceiver attached) on runway at Kerbin and beside this module, I parked the rover with empty battery pack and Microwave Power Transceiver.  But there is no electricity transfer between those two units :(

 

Thx for any hint.

Here is a representative version of how I do much of my Tundra series building:

https://imgur.com/pQ4Ly0SpQ4Ly0S.png

I tend to use Nom-o-Matics of various sizes on all my individual buildings since they are single-part solutions that hold mulch, supplies, fertilizer and usually provide enough life support for each craft without needing too much support from other parts of the base (other than a supply of Fertilizer). The Tundra mini-airlock can be swapped out with a Ranger unit for a bit of visual variety, but they are identical in function, mass and cost. I prefer to have additional fuel and depleted fuel tanks on the reactors because I sometimes find it necessary to physically move Uranium fuel around rather than relying upon the automatic functions.

With regards to #2, you need some form of crewed Logistics module in the area to enable resource transfer. Try adding a Tundra Pioneer and Logistics module to your powerplant, then make sure both the rover and power plant are  crewed. Should work then if you keep in mind that power, like other resources, is transferred in discrete blocks every few seconds (20 seconds??? I don't remember precisely.)

 

KoS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Parmenio said:

As we called it in the Navy....PFM!

I have one minor problem, station missing the FTT.SAS.500 part and was not able to load. Going to track that down a bit to figure out what is missing. 

Some parts are being deprecated unfortunately.  You can steal the part config, etc. from an earlier distro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

You can steal the part config, etc. from an earlier distro.

Yep, all fixed. Little confused as to which part was missing, but just copied everything from old FTT parts folder. Gives me a reason to redesign that station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah taking a quick look at the parts folder in FTT from the new release and the old some parts are there, some are not, some are new?

The old FTT_SAS_500 is gone but there is a FTT_SAS_0500 (with different content)

as I said a few posts earlier: :confused:

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, modus said:

Yeah taking a quick look at the parts folder in FTT from the new release and the old some parts are there, some are not, some are new?

The old FTT_SAS_500 is gone but there is a FTT_SAS_0500 (with different content)

as I said a few posts earlier: :confused:

:D

Yeah FTT is getting a few goodies.   For a spoiler alert, it will probably end up split across a few mods based on the USI roadmap (all of the structural pieces are being moved to a new to-be-announced USI mod).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious how some of you other kerbalers are handling a WOLF terminal on Kerbin....are you just rolling one out next to the launchpad? Have Kerbals walk out to the terminal when sending the little ones to another terminal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Parmenio said:

I'm curious how some of you other kerbalers are handling a WOLF terminal on Kerbin....are you just rolling one out next to the launchpad? Have Kerbals walk out to the terminal when sending the little ones to another terminal?

That is my plan.   The terminal will hook up to the Wolf LKO Gateway hub, then move from there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Parmenio said:

I'm curious how some of you other kerbalers are handling a WOLF terminal on Kerbin....are you just rolling one out next to the launchpad? Have Kerbals walk out to the terminal when sending the little ones to another terminal?

I like having a terminal right off of the runway since I tend to not use it a lot late career anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just letting folks know I'm back again and starting to rework the WOLF walkthrough. I started this weekend and ended up spending two days writing kOS scripts to fly my SSTO. I am really bad at focussing on one thing at a time.

I'm hoping to have the current version reworked to the point of having a depot in orbit with resource transfers being used to refuel spacecraft from a hopper this coming weekend, along with all the craft files being available, and with the entire walkthrough, script and screenshots in a GitHub repository.

More news as it comes to hand, but at least I don't have to fly my SSTO by hand as much anymore, which was quite a pain when I realised I missed an important screenshot and had to fly the entire half hour mission over again. Also Bon Voyage is a life saver given the current state of rover wheels. I just wish it could reliably drive rovers back to the KSC without them exploding underground :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thx for the answer.

But I have another question :)

How I can make MaterialKits from ore ? According to the MKS Guide
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/196934-mks-guide/

there should be a part called  KF-250 Fabricatorfor this, but I am not able to find it anywhere. The smallest module that can fabric MaterialKits seems to be a Ranger Inflatable Workshop, but this module can only make them from Metals, Chemicals and Polymers. Am I missing something ?

Also, for the fabrication of Specialised parts there is no smaller module for fabrication. Only the big Tundra Assembly Plant together with Tundra Industrial Refinery (for Refined Exotics) :(

I am trying to figure out the smallest possible instalation which can mine resources and produce Machinery for the colony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PavelKCZ said:

Thx for the answer.

But I have another question :)

How I can make MaterialKits from ore ? According to the MKS Guide
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/196934-mks-guide/

there should be a part called  KF-250 Fabricatorfor this, but I am not able to find it anywhere. The smallest module that can fabric MaterialKits seems to be a Ranger Inflatable Workshop, but this module can only make them from Metals, Chemicals and Polymers. Am I missing something ?

Also, for the fabrication of Specialised parts there is no smaller module for fabrication. Only the big Tundra Assembly Plant together with Tundra Industrial Refinery (for Refined Exotics) :(

I am trying to figure out the smallest possible instalation which can mine resources and produce Machinery for the colony.

It's part of Konstruction, but likely still in pre-release.  And nope - specialized parts require space.  Early on,  it's really better to just drop off a box of machinery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK, thank you for the informations.

 

Still it seems that I am missing something obvious with this whole MKS.

I tried to take a basic Kontainer and I preset it to "Fertilizer". I attached to the container those pieces:

MKS Ranger Crush-o-Matic preset to make Fertilizer from Minerals

MKS Ranger Scout-200 Powerpack (generator is preset to ON)

MEU-100-A Pulse drill preset to drill Minerals

SpaceCrane on top as a landing stage

 

Idea was that this whole thing will mine minerals and make the Fertilizer automatically, until the plutonium in the PowerPack will be depleted or the rest of colony packages will land, together with Kerbal Engineers etc.

I succesfully transported the whole thing to Minimus, landed at a spot where is a lot of Minerals and I deployed the drill and start drilling. But, after some time the drill stop and in the status window, there is a mention "Minerals: Minerals full".

But the status windows on the Crush-o-Matic still write "Fertilizer(M): missing Minerals". And of course, there is no Fertilizer (0/54000) in the Kontainer. :(

 

What am I doing wrong ?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, modus said:

Do you have a container for minerals?

No, there is only one container (for Fertiliser as an end product). I thought that Minerals will be transferred to the Cruch-o-Matic automatically, because all those things are technically part of the same "ship".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PavelKCZ said:

No, there is only one container (for Fertiliser as an end product). I thought that Minerals will be transferred to the Cruch-o-Matic automatically, because all those things are technically part of the same "ship".

Unfortunately, MKS does not implement 'just in time' manufacturing, so each material will need a storage/staging area or else it can not be either produced or consumed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...