[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Hm, I've never had a problem with that. My base does gradually move over time thanks to tiny physicshops on load (with tethering), but it doesn't shimmy like that-maybe that's because my base is all on wheels, and it's the legs that are the problem. Try dismantling the legs to rest it on the ground or using the KIS ground base as an anchor?

Cradles might indeed be responsible for that. When this base had Karibou wheels instead of cradles, there wasn't any shaking or moving around happening.

Just now, sh1pman said:

Cradles might indeed be responsible for that. When this base had Karibou wheels instead of cradles, there wasn't any shaking or moving around happening.

My base looks like a plus-shaped millipede with all the rover wheels, but it doesn't jitter (well, as detailed near the start of the thread, it does thrash around wildly if unrestrained). Test it out by removing the cradles, but you might want to try brute-forcing it with the ground anchor before you go dismantling bits.

Another concept art.

This one was from The Mars Underground, so it's the Mars Direct hab modules, which the Duna Modules are aping. The main difference is that the Duna modules are a lot smaller (these would be 5m parts at least).

oHviQQk.jpg

It´s time for another help request :wink: 

I landed my first Duna module on Iota (GPP). Deployed the legs and activated ground tether. Suddenly the "jackhammer" started. my module (or maybe Iota itself) flickered up and down (about half height of the duna module). when i released the ground tether, my duna module jumped with about 120m/s into the vacuum.

I repeated it in all possible directions. ground tether then deploy legs. without legs, only ground tether.

tested the same at Gael. Same problem.

Deleted joint reinforcement mod.

No jackhammer, but instant explosion. :( 

Thanks for your help

Edited by Phil Kerman

6 minutes ago, Phil Kerman said:

I landed my first Duna module on Iota (GPP). Deployed the legs and activated ground tether. Suddenly the "jackhammer" started. my module (or maybe Iota itself) flickered up and down (about half height of the duna module). when i released the ground tether, my duna module jumped with about 120m/s into the vacuum.

I repeated it in all possible directions. ground tether then deploy legs. without legs, only ground tether.

Thanks for your help

Did you also replace the vessel after removing joint reinforcement?  I have had crafts that had a clipping issue that was masked by joint reinforcement.  Once I removed the mod the clipping issue tore the ship apart.  I only tried that mod once briefly and dumped it.

11 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Did you also replace the vessel after removing joint reinforcement?  I have had crafts that had a clipping issue that was masked by joint reinforcement.  Once I removed the mod the clipping issue tore the ship apart.  I only tried that mod once briefly and dumped it.

just set up a new testmodule, and ..... :wink:vpKZ3vV.png

Edited by Phil Kerman

I read elsewhere that this mod includes TRP-Hire, but the version it includes (maybe the only version released?) defaults to level 5 for science and sandbox modes. Is it possible to overwrite the embedded version (voiding support) or am I stuck with that limitation?

6 hours ago, GlitchHound said:

I read elsewhere that this mod includes TRP-Hire, but the version it includes (maybe the only version released?) defaults to level 5 for science and sandbox modes. Is it possible to overwrite the embedded version (voiding support) or am I stuck with that limitation?

Nope, I checked-this is hardcoded into the DLL. Not sure why you'd want anything other than than lvl 5, though.

Edited by voicey99

35 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Nope, I checked-this is hardcoded into the DLL. Not sure why you'd want anything other than than lvl 5, though.

Shucks. Now that Kerbal XP is an option in all modes it would be nice if it were an option in hiring as well. Looking over the code for TRP-Hire it looks like it's just removing a few if statements so the system only looks at the XP option before deciding which behavior to follow.

I play a weird sort of roleplay sandbox and tracking progression is the key aspect I'm aiming for. I gave myself science so I don't have to unlock the tech tree but I can clearly see which experiments I've completed. I require comms so that I can't just freely go wherever in the system. And I chose to require my Kerbals to level up.

For now I guess I'll just hire by editing my save file, the same way I got the science needed to play through this way. If it becomes tedious I'll need to rush to a space academy program that makes it trivial to level Kerbals up to 5 and then I'll feel more content with only hiring at max level.

5 minutes ago, GlitchHound said:

Shucks. Now that Kerbal XP is an option in all modes it would be nice if it were an option in hiring as well. Looking over the code for TRP-Hire it looks like it's just removing a few if statements so the system only looks at the XP option before deciding which behavior to follow.

I play a weird sort of roleplay sandbox and tracking progression is the key aspect I'm aiming for. I gave myself science so I don't have to unlock the tech tree but I can clearly see which experiments I've completed. I require comms so that I can't just freely go wherever in the system. And I chose to require my Kerbals to level up.

For now I guess I'll just hire by editing my save file, the same way I got the science needed to play through this way. If it becomes tedious I'll need to rush to a space academy program that makes it trivial to level Kerbals up to 5 and then I'll feel more content with only hiring at max level.

Try editing this bit of the dll (under KolonyTools/KolonyTools.AC/CustomAstronautComplexUI) and changing the two values to what you want:

if ((double) this.ACLevel == 5.0 || !this.kerExp)
        {
          newKerbal.experience = (__Null) 9999.0;
          newKerbal.experienceLevel = (__Null) 5;
          Debug.Log((object) "KSI :: Level set to 5 - Non-Career Mode default.");
        }

WARNING: This could break things if done badly!

16 hours ago, Phil Kerman said:

Thanks for your help

Hi...have not yet unlocked the Duna parts, but the Ranger parts are fine on Iota. Will try it on a sandbox in the next day or two.  I see a bit of surface shimmy when I land on really flat surfaces, but nothing to affect the landers or Kerbals on them.

20 hours ago, Terwin said:

Vacuum tubes came before solid state transistors.  It is often easier to do something with a larger form-factor.

I assumed that it was deliberate that the bulkier version of Logistics become available first.

I guess...always thought the MKS design/upgrade flow was the Ranger->Duna->Tundra. Also, the Tundra part has two types of functionality (Pioneer/Logistics). and the Duna only has one.  I'll admit I haven't figured out the CTT structure yet, but I'll spend some more time on it.

39 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I got a question. If I want to use MKS, but not use any life support mods, what percent of provided functionality will actually be useful?

Very little. Recyclers, kerbitats, the habring and the entire production chain will become useless. MKS is designed around USI-LS and, failing that, TAC-LS (partially) but, given most of the mod is dedicated to the challenges of sustaining kerbals on distant colonies for years, without any LS mods its basically just a bunch of fancy parts and a limited offworld refinery system.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Very little. Recyclers, kerbitats, the habring and the entire production chain will become useless. MKS is designed around USI-LS and, failing that, TAC-LS (partially) but, given most of the mod is dedicated to the challenges of sustaining kerbals on distant colonies for years, without any LS mods its basically just a bunch of fancy parts and a limited offworld refinery system.

I would disagree.  The production chain in particular isn't useless - it's still valuable for Ground Construction, and for EL if you have that.  (And I believe mechanical wear might still be a thing...)  And Logistics, Power Distribution, Konstruction, and things like Inertial Dampening are all very useful in any game.

I think a lot of the answer to that question depends on how big a 'percentage' you think various functions of the mod are.  Yes, it's designed to compliment an LS mod, but there's a lot more there as well.

36 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I would disagree.  The production chain in particular isn't useless - it's still valuable for Ground Construction, and for EL if you have that.  (And I believe mechanical wear might still be a thing...)  And Logistics, Power Distribution, Konstruction, and things like Inertial Dampening are all very useful in any game.

I think a lot of the answer to that question depends on how big a 'percentage' you think various functions of the mod are.  Yes, it's designed to compliment an LS mod, but there's a lot more there as well.

True. but I was talking about MKS on its own. Without any other mods or its bonus ancillary plugins (konstruction etc.), the functions you described are indeed still useful, but the core essence of what MKS is for (to me, anyway) no longer serves a purpose.

Edited by voicey99

hi @RoverDude, sorry i did not seen your replay at the time and would replicate the behavor.

Topic Duna-Ranger position and the ability to grab them:

Spoiler

ruw9bsM.png?2

both pictures on inner most Position on 2 Locations.

DxxrQ2k.png?1

Ranger on outer Postion

gDERlWL.png?1

as last my Testvehicle only USI Parts

bOBYxiP.png?1

This behavor i meet only with:

Airlock

Scout-200 Powerpack

Auxilary Controll module

on every Duna Module.

i Posted here too for maybe some one has this too. My work around is to scroll inside of Dunamodule and than im able to target the named Rangers from inside. No Exceptions or Logfiles no missed expectations. Only the odd behavor.

As you mentioned i logged a isssue '87 for it at the moment.

PS: the same behavor is present after start but Kerbals can interact with the modules (tried for Airlock)

Ty for your time

Urses

Edited by Urses

Is it the mod that changes the crew recruitment system? Because if it is, there is a huge glitch/exploit:

You can hire kerbals with a negative cost, effectively gaining money.

For example, you can hire a kolonist with courage 0 and stupidity 100, level 2, for -42.000 funds !!! Curiously, increasing the level gives you more money.

Bulk hire selector at 10 allows you to gain up to 420000 funds with ONE kerbal. ps: can anyone explain to me what does the bulk hire selector does?

4 minutes ago, Tomycj said:

Is it the mod that changes the crew recruitment system? Because if it is, there is a huge glitch/exploit:

You can hire kerbals with a negative cost, effectively gaining money.

For example, you can hire a kolonist with courage 0 and stupidity 100, level 2, for -42.000 funds !!! Curiously, increasing the level gives you more money.

Bulk hire selector at 10 allows you to gain up to 420000 funds with ONE kerbal. ps: can anyone explain to me what does the bulk hire selector does?

There's already two issues on the MKS github page about that, RD just needs to make a few tweaks for the next version. The bulk hire just hires multiple kerbals at the same time with the settings you selected.

Just now, Waxing_Kibbous said:

On the topic of kerbal hiring having complete control doesn't feel game-y enough, it'd be nice to have a random traits option or option to use the original system of selecting from a random pool.

Deleting the "KolonyTools.AC" section of the DLL might return the AC to its original stage (no guarantees!). The Kolonisation Dashboard had the option of hiring kerbals of each trait at level zero, plus a button to hire a random kerbal, but this was depreciated in favour of the TRP-alike system to make it less clunky and stop confusing noobs who didn't look in the "Hire Kolonists" tab.

1 hour ago, Jagzeplin said:

where is the usi tools download? i dont see it in the catalog

yikes that's my fault. I'll add it now. here's the github link https://github.com/BobPalmer/UmbraSpaceIndustries/releases

EDIT: @RoverDude I sent a PR to update the site

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
I did my work!