[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I have started assembling a space station in orbit around the Mun, and I randomly checked Kolonization Dashboard.

DIQNJhE.png

What do these percents mean?

BTW, the station has no crew on-board yet.

Edited by Thegamer211

2 minutes ago, Thegamer211 said:

I have started assembling a space station in orbit around the Mun, and I randomly checked Kolonization Dashboard.

<schnip>

What do these precents mean?

BTW, the station has no crew on-board yet.

Having crew on the surface (and orbit?) of a planet will start to build up those three ratings depending on which professions they are (see this article, FundsBoost means they generate geology points, RepBoost generates kolonisation and ScienceBoost generates botany). As these ratings increase, they will provide buffs to certain parts. All MKS converter parts (Ranger, Tundra and MPU modules) and drills will get these buffs. For converters and drills, it's the vanilla efficiency formula*the geology rating as a decimal2 (e.g. if it is 120%, the decimal would be 1.2, which means you get a production mult of 1.44) with the exception of the agriculture module which uses geology rating*botany rating instead. You might find this mod useful:

Kolonisation does not provide any direct bonuses, but once it hits 500% all kerbals with habtimes of over a year(?) gain permanent habitation when on the surface (and orbit?) when using USI-LS.

As these ratings increae, it will also generate rewards in the relevant area (Geology gives funds, Botany gives science and Kolonisation gives rep) that can be collected from a Pioneer Module.

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Yes there is - they are still couplers/distributors with good battery storage.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. To each his own, after all.

So I landed a Tundra PDU,

with it landed 50m away from my existing workshops, the workshops are still receiving the same message.

connected the Tundra to the workshops via a series of Flex-O-Tubes so it is all one base, and I still receive the same message, not enough energy :-(
message appears to be line 466 in the source https://github.com/allista/GroundConstruction/blob/405cd19de7370298b3c7088cacfb2a1cc12768a9/GroundWorkshop.cs#L466

4 minutes ago, FrontLineFodder said:

So I landed a Tundra PDU,

with it landed 50m away from my existing workshops, the workshops are still receiving the same message.

connected the Tundra to the workshops via a series of Flex-O-Tubes so it is all one base, and I still receive the same message, not enough energy :-(
message appears to be line 466 in the source https://github.com/allista/GroundConstruction/blob/405cd19de7370298b3c7088cacfb2a1cc12768a9/GroundWorkshop.cs#L466

Pic of the base?

12 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

MKS doesn't do anything for making fuel. Karbonite is all about fuel resources.

Thanks for the quick response.

So just to be clear, if I'm going to manufacturer rocket fuel on the Mun (or Moon, in the RSS game I'm setting up) I'm going to need Karbonite? Kinda sad about that as it goes against the whole "real" thing, but hey, I'll deal.

I haven't read up on the mod yet since I wasn't thinking I'd use it, but can you tell me what real world resource Karbonite is supposed to represent?

Is there any way to toggle off PDU functionality?

I have two disconnect bases, each with their own reactors and they seem to fight back and forth over which should be active at any given time.

31 minutes ago, Mandella said:

So just to be clear, if I'm going to manufacturer rocket fuel on the Mun (or Moon, in the RSS game I'm setting up) I'm going to need Karbonite? Kinda sad about that as it goes against the whole "real" thing, but hey, I'll deal.

I haven't read up on the mod yet since I wasn't thinking I'd use it, but can you tell me what real world resource Karbonite is supposed to represent?

You know the stock ore->ISRU->fuel system still works with MKS, right (unless RSS disables it in some way?

As for the fuel, most IRL rockets use LH2/LO2 or C12H26/LO2 mixes, so fuel could possibly (my chemistry is a little flaky), be obtained from some clever electrolysis and reactions of water and methane ices found on outer bodies-but I don't think Karbonite is really supposed to represent anything real.

Edited by voicey99

37 minutes ago, Mandella said:

15 minutes ago, Baladain said:

Is there any way to toggle off PDU functionality?

I have two disconnect bases, each with their own reactors and they seem to fight back and forth over which should be active at any given time.

That sounds like something is malfunctioning, PDUs should only transfer EC when the target goes below 50%.

There's no way to disable PDUs individually, but you could make an MM patch to remove the functionality from a given part.

50 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You know the stock ore->ISRU->fuel system still works with MKS, right (unless RSS disables it in some way?

As for the fuel, most IRL rockets use LH2/LO2 or C12H26/LO2 mixes, so fuel could possibly (my chemistry is a little flaky), be obtained from some clever electrolysis and reactions of water and methane ices found on outer bodies-but I don't think Karbonite is really supposed to represent anything real.

I *did* know that, just trying to stay away from generic ore in this particular game. I'd rather actually use Karbonite. I'll take some time tonight and watch the tutorials on it.

1 hour ago, Mandella said:

47 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Karbonite is based on hydrocarbons (hence it can equate to Methane, but it also contains Oxygen and carries the formula KaO3) which are indeed useful as fuel. By itself it has the performance characteristics of SolidFuel but it can be refined into LH2, Oxygen, Water, and MonoPropellant. I'm pretty sure no proper config exists for concentrations in RSS, otherwise the likes of Titan and Io, and maybe Venus should rightfully be dripping with it.

If I may say, it's the official (granted, RoverDude's name is stamped on Karbonite) platform for the likes of "Jet engines on Eve/Titan" or other planets and moons with useful fuel-filled atmospheres. Such atmospheres apply to Eve, Tekto of OPM, and most of GPP.

2 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

it's rather hodge podge

And hard to see at night. :wink:

Basically: You're complaining about an issue with power transfer - It's best to let us see exactly what's going on so we can tell if there's some issue with how you've designed it that's preventing the transfer.

33 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Karbonite is based on hydrocarbons (hence it can equate to Methane, but it also contains Oxygen and carries the formula KaO3) which are indeed useful as fuel. By itself it has the performance characteristics of SolidFuel but it can be refined into LH2, Oxygen, Water, and MonoPropellant. I'm pretty sure no proper config exists for concentrations in RSS, otherwise the likes of Titan and Io, and maybe Venus should rightfully be dripping with it.

If I may say, it's the official (granted, RoverDude's name is stamped on Karbonite) platform for the likes of "Jet engines on Eve/Titan" or other planets and moons with useful fuel-filled atmospheres. Such atmospheres apply to Eve, Tekto of OPM, and most of GPP.

You can get LH2 and Oxidiser from running water through an ISRU, if you are using the bigger NTRs FTT adds or RealFuels with the NTRs(?).

I still prefer using the ductfans for getting around atmospheres, since (if you're using reactors, which you pretty much have to with them), you don't have to keep stopping to refuel-I'm not sure if you can stay airborne indefinitely with Ka scoops. They're slower (I believe limited to mach 0.75), but you can reliably fly on gas giants with them.

@DStaal your 2000th post! :rolleyes:

Edited by voicey99

Well that's one downside with Karbonite. You get Oxygen, not Oxidizer. If that's going to be a big deal then ask and I can add it to the relevant karbonite converter. Yes, you can stay airborne indefinitely with Ka scoops and you can do so many things with it it's unbelievable. It helps the scoops if there's plenty of it to scoop. I've made several updates to the mod and explained them in its thread. The engines finally have satisfactory performance ratings and will be as fun as any other engine pack. They're no longer as slow as you think.

If anyone has feature requests, tag me there. Also...why and how would you fly on a gas giant?

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

You can get LH2 and Oxidiser from running water through an ISRU, if you are using the bigger NTRs FTT adds or RealFuels with the NTRs(?).

I still prefer using the ductfans for getting around atmospheres, since (if you're using reactors, which you pretty much have to with them), you don't have to keep stopping to refuel-I'm not sure if you can stay airborne indefinitely with Ka scoops. They're slower (I believe limited to mach 0.75), but you can reliably fly on gas giants with them.

@DStaal your 2000th post! :rolleyes:

You can easily stay airborne with Ka scoops. In fact, my Eve SSTO uses karbonite turbojets with scoops to get to around 20 km height and 500m/s speed on Eve before firing the Lightbulb.

jYVcOkj.png

Edited by sh1pman

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

You can easily stay airborne with Ka scoops. In fact, my Eve SSTO uses karbonite turbojets and with scoops to get to around 20 km height and 500m/s speed on Eve before firing the Lightbulb.

<schnip>

Is it reliable (in that you can use it in any atmosphere and don't get caught out by biome variations)?

On the topic of Karbonite, how do you use the exospheric particle collector? I've tried it at a whole plethora of altitudes and bodies and so far the only place I've been able to find any space karbonite/karborundum is a tiny bit deep in Jool's gravity well where you have to use all the fuel you picked up getting back out.

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Is it reliable (in that you can use it in any atmosphere and don't get caught out by biome variations)?

Biomes don't matter, it has the same concentration in every biome. It does however drop with height. I've tried it on Eve and Kerbin, and there's almost no karbonite in Kerbin's atmo, so you can't fly indefinitely there. There's a lot of this stuff on Eve though.

5 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

On the topic of Karbonite, how do you use the exospheric particle collector? I've tried it at a whole plethora of altitudes and bodies and so far the only place I've been able to find any space karbonite/karborundum is a tiny bit deep in Jool's gravity well where you have to use all the fuel you picked up getting back out.

Hmm, try setting a highly elliptic orbit, and when you're done, use Laythe or Tylo to get your periapsis back up?

Edited by sh1pman

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Biomes don't matter, it has the same concentration in every biome. It does however drop with height. I've tried it on Eve and Kerbin, and there's almost no karbonite in Kerbin's atmo, so you can't fly indefinitely there. There's a lot of this stuff on Eve though.

Hm, I took a look at the cfg and apparently Eve gets no special treatment with regards to atmospheric Ka placement (on every planet it's randomised between 10-1000ppm apart from Kerbin, locked at 10ppm), though the OPM gas giants and Tekto appaer to have very juicy amounts of atmospheric and exospheric Ka.

Not sure whether to stick with my ductfanmobile on Laythe or lug a jet engine around or have to put up with stopping to refuel (primarily cost, my plane costs 1/4M)

Edited by voicey99

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Hm, I took a look at the cfg and apparently Eve gets no special treatment with regards to atmospheric Ka placement (on every planet it's randomised between 10-1000ppm apart from Kerbin, locked at 10ppm), though the OPM gas giants and Tekto have very juicy amounts of atmospheric and exospheric Ka.

I guess I was lucky then. Played two saves, both had enough Ka in Eve's atmosphere to sustain the flight.

You can always add more scoops if the concentration is too low.

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I guess I was lucky then. Played two saves, both had enough Ka in Eve's atmosphere to sustain the flight.

You can always add more scoops if the concentration is too low.

Eve's atmosphere being thicker than most, adding additional scoops could be counterproductive as it would just increase drag massively and require more engines which require more fuel...

I'll test it out later. If it turns out the Ka status is dry, I'll just bite the bullet with the slow (only 100m/s) and expensive ductfanmobile. That is, when I'm done upstaging Elon Musk after 'omitting' some parachutes.

Edited by voicey99

29 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

You can easily stay airborne with Ka scoops. In fact, my Eve SSTO uses karbonite turbojets with scoops to get to around 20 km height and 500m/s speed on Eve before firing the Lightbulb.

jYVcOkj.png

Hey sh1pman,

Good idea and from where did you get this "Lightbulb"-Engine? :P

Just now, voicey99 said:

Eve's atmosphere being thicker than most, adding additional scoops could be counterproductive as it would just increase drag massively and require more engines which require more fuel...

I'll test it out later. If it turns out the Ka status is dry, I'll just bite the bullet with the slow (only 100m/s) and expensive ductfanmobile.

Thick atmosphere also means more resource intake and lift from the wings. You can fly at 50 m/s with medium-sized wings near the surface. And if you fly at 20 km, drag doesn't really matter, since the pressure there is about 0.2 atm (compared to 5 atm at sea level). In my experience 2 scoops per turbojet is enough to maintain indefinite flight at 20 km and 500 m/s speed.

5 minutes ago, N3N said:

Hey sh1pman,

Good idea and from where did you get this "Lightbulb"-Engine? :P

It comes with Porkjet's mod, I think it's called Atomic Engines or something like that. @RoverDude uses it in his streams. I think it also need a patch to work with KSP 1.2.2

14 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

it would just increase drag massively and require more engines which require more fuel...

This part is completely wrong. Adding 2 more scoops will maybe lower your top speed from 540 to 520 m/s. Just try it out.