[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

50 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

@Wiseman What's your geology rating? Ignoring efficiency parts (get the latest release of MKS in the Constellation bundle, it will tell you what sort of parts boost the efficiency of each part), the production multiplier is (usually) your geology rating as a decimal squared (e.g. 150%=1.52=2.25x). Take a look this mod.

@voicey99 My geology rating is 209.249%. I didn't realize there was a new release of the Constellation - are you talking about the pre-release that is going on up-thread? I'll definitely check out the explainer though, I'd love to get a better handle on how to improve my supply chain. 

Edit - I see, the issue I'm noticing is that there are 6 different Refinery bays drawing on a smaller mass of efficiency parts, as opposed to the 2 Material Kit bays drawing on a relatively huge mass of workshops. That explainer really does the trick, thanks for pointing it out!

Edited by Wiseman

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

@TheRagingIrishman Any progress on the nullrefs? I managed to track the source of the errors down to the (FTT) Orca Cmd Mod, whatever problem it is with it.

I'm actually recovering from shoulder surgery rn so I'm not doing any usi stuff atm. I know RD said "hmmm... nullref spam - hopefully not us" "nah the nullref was self inflicted - fixed it" in our channel yesterday but he hasn't pushed any changes that I can see so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

If you are getting nullref spam in the VAB with the pre-release this is sorted, just have to bundle things up

This was mentioned a few pages back, but placing FTT's Orca pod would spew nullrefs until the log neared a gigabyte and the game slowed to a crawl.

It is a pre-release after all, so bees are to be expected (and squashed). Scratch up another one :).

Get well soon @TheRagingIrishman.

Edited by voicey99

On 5/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, RoverDude said:

Probably the sketchy RNG, but definitely would be good to know if other folks have seen this

From what I've seen selecting male or female acts like random in that either a male or female will spawn.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:34 PM, garwel said:

I guess it's just that rare coincidence, but want to check with the others. Whenever I hire a kerbal with a "random" gender, they always turn out to be female. I've had it like five times in a row already. Anybody noticed anything?

Okay. I have to say, I was building a ship with a USI Warp Drive and a Rockomax "Mainsail" was the descent engine, so I used girders to attach 4 legs with 4 Kolonization System landing gear on each, and it works well! The only problem is that the "gears" action group doesn't work with the legs.:/

2 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Okay. I have to say, I was building a ship with a USI Warp Drive and a Rockomax "Mainsail" was the descent engine, so I used girders to attach 4 legs with 4 Kolonization System landing gear on each, and it works well! The only problem is that the "gears" action group doesn't work with the legs.:/

You can add them to the AG manually in the VAB. It's probably designed to add them automatically based on their part modules.

On 14/05/2017 at 3:15 PM, Johould said:

The strangest is that Machinery masses over twice the sum of the specialized parts and material kits that go into making it).

Whoops! I don't mean to be Captain Obvious, but surely the converters should never violate conservation of mass?

Are the auto-shipments getting to a point at which you can give us a guess or estimate release time? (soon? still a while? way off?) I'm really anticipating when KSP-AVC says "MKS update!".

No pressure. :)

4 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Are the auto-shipments getting to a point at which you can give us a guess or estimate release time? (soon? still a while? way off?) I'm really anticipating when KSP-AVC says "MKS update!".

No pressure. :)

the constellation pre-release should become an actual release fairly soon so you'll get an MKS update but the auto-shipments are still a ways off

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Hello, I've had an odd error show up late in a heavily modded game. (too many mods for me to file this as a bug report. I could try to replicate this in a USI only install of KSP if anyone is interested.) I am curious if anyone has seen this before? I have a station in orbit of a moon with 2 counter rotating inflatable hab rings, and for some reason the rings are crooked. I've tried quicksaving and reloading, but the problem seems to get worse. Here is a pic.

w8bmtXn.png

3 hours ago, Rabada said:

Hello, I've had an odd error show up late in a heavily modded game.

I saw it once. It was with Near Future parts on one particular craft in 1.0.5, and trying to tweak the save file to correct it just led it to skew the other way. I never isolated the cause or solution, and I haven't seen it since. Good luck!

16 hours ago, Rabada said:

Hello, I've had an odd error show up late in a heavily modded game. (too many mods for me to file this as a bug report. I could try to replicate this in a USI only install of KSP if anyone is interested.) I am curious if anyone has seen this before? I have a station in orbit of a moon with 2 counter rotating inflatable hab rings, and for some reason the rings are crooked. I've tried quicksaving and reloading, but the problem seems to get worse. Here is a pic.

<schnip>

This has been mentioned a number of times, Tundra parts do have an irritating tendency to experience phantom forces capable of ripping bases and stations apart.

@RoverDude I remade the PR, you might want to merge it soonish as atm all other new PRs will show up as conflicting.

Edited by voicey99

I'm quite unclear on how planetary logistics work.

I've read the ingame docs, and as far as I can tell, this is how it works:

Spoiler

A mining base produces a constant stream of a resource, let's say, ore. Then it fills up with ore and spots a 'Logistic Module' on the logistic network. It sends it to the module that stuffs it into an infinitely large "Planetary Warehouse". A refinery sees this through its logistics module and pulls it in. Then it makes LfO. This goes back into the "Planetary Warehouse" as the refinery fills with LfO, where it can be seen by all logistics modules on the planet. The mining base then takes some to fuel its fuel cells. Also, the main Kerbal Habitation can take it to power its lights and even a random Karibou with a logistic module can take it to power its wheels.

How close was I? If I got any wrong, what did I get wrong and what are the actual facts?

4 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Hide contents

A mining base produces a constant stream of a resource, let's say, ore. Then it fills up with ore and spots a 'Logistic Module' on the logistic network. It sends it to the module that stuffs it into an infinitely large "Planetary Warehouse". A refinery sees this through its logistics module and pulls it in. Then it makes LfO. This goes back into the "Planetary Warehouse" as the refinery fills with LfO, where it can be seen by all logistics modules on the planet. The mining base then takes some to fuel its fuel cells. Also, the main Kerbal Habitation can take it to power its lights and even a random Karibou with a logistic module can take it to power its wheels.

How close was I? If I got any wrong, what did I get wrong and what are the actual facts?

Pretty close. Here are the things you missed/could use some clarification:

• ElectricCharge cannot be put into Planetary Warehousing
  • Logistics Modules need a pilot to pull resources but can push resources while unmanned. Also, MPU's can push resources into the Planetary Warehouse without Kerbals (good for unmanned mining rigs)
Edited by TheRagingIrishman

2 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Hide contents

I'm going to simplify it. Bases that have a (unmanned/manned) logistics module or MPU will shove stuff from full kontainers (or anything else that has ModuleResourceWarehouse) into hammerspace. Bases elsewhere that have a manned logistics module will pull stuff back out into empty kontainers on requirement. Simple!

A bit more-EC can be pushed in by (still buggy?) Karibou cargo modules but not retrieved, and machinery and EnrichedU cannot be transferred at all.

7 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Pretty close. Here are the things you missed/could use some clarification:

• ElectricCharge cannot be put into Planetary Warehousing
  • Logistics Modules need a pilot to pull resources but can push resources while unmanned. Also, MPU's can push resources into the Planetary Warehouse without Kerbals (good for unmanned mining rigs)

Just now, voicey99 said:

I'm going to simplify it. Bases that have a (unmanned/manned) logistics module or MPU will shove stuff from full kontainers (or anything else that has ModuleResourceWarehouse) into hammerspace. Bases elsewhere that have a manned logistics module will pull stuff back out into empty kontainers on requirement. Simple!

A bit more-EC can be pushed in by (still buggy?) Karibou cargo modules but not retrieved, and machinery and EnrichedU cannot be transferred at all.

On MPUs, do they only push or can they pull with a pilot?

machinery and EnrichedU cannot be transferred at all

So, if I want a Karibou that can support itself long-term by pulling in planetary warehouse resources, I guess it'll have to assemble those on the rover by shipping in the raw materials. Looks like it's time for that surface base adapter between ranger, duna and tundra! I think it'll do the job of fitting on a big tundra uranium refinery.

11 minutes ago, TDplay said:

On MPUs, do they only push or can they pull with a pilot?

Push only, with or without a pilot.

11 minutes ago, TDplay said:

So, if I want a Karibou that can support itself long-term by pulling in planetary warehouse resources, I guess it'll have to assemble those on the rover by shipping in the raw materials. Looks like it's time for that surface base adapter between ranger, duna and tundra! I think it'll do the job of fitting on a big tundra uranium refinery.

You will have to either import fuel for fuel cells via PL or import uraninite and refine it onboard. In both situations you will have to lug around a logistics module and a pilot, but with the latter you also have to bring a very expensive 3.75m processor too. Not that you really need to refine uranium onboard-these are some numbers I did a while back (I think the reactors are still the same, and you won't be using them at full all the time). You can cart around years and years worth of spare uranium with you as well.

On 13/02/2017 at 4:49 PM, voicey99 said:

According to my calculations, when running at full steam, the 0.625m reactor should require refuelling every 772 days (1.8yrs), the 1.25m every 1,306 days (3.1yrs), the 2.5m every 1,188 days (2.8yrs), the 3.75m every 1,240 days (2.9yrs), the Duna PDU every 309 days (0.72 yrs) and the Tundra PDU every 193 days (0.45 yrs).

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I suspect they could in theory pull with a pilot - but they don't have a seat to put a pilot in...

Nope, they can't. They are configured to be PushOnly = true. I don't recall actually having my pilot in the designated logistics module itself either.

Edited by voicey99