[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

6 minutes ago, Potato3478 said:

I don't like T.R.P... and you had to add to merge it in the code -_-

Unless there's a way to disable it and I'm just stupid. (aren't I always stupid? How do you people not hate me?!?)

Not sure why you wouldn't want TRP (since the old AC was hopelessly cluttered by all the types) but if you want to disable it I believe it can be toggled under settings->difficulty->kolonisation.

I'm a Noob with a question.  I'd like to play around with USI Kolonization mods.  CKAN lists a bunch of mods related to USI, for example: USI Core, USI Tools, USI Exploration Pack.  Are these all separate from MKS?  Is there a list/explanation of these mods?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, dochockin said:

I'm a Noob with a question.  I'd like to play around with USI Kolonization mods.  CKAN lists a bunch of mods related to USI, for example: USI Core, USI Tools, USI Exploration Pack.  Are these all separate from MKS?  Is there a list/explanation of these mods?

Core and Tools are installed only as dependencies; there's no need to select them for installation manually. The Exploration Pack, Asteroid Recycling, Freight Transport mods all have descriptive Homepage links in CKAN and are largely independent of MKS. The Kolonisation Class Suits obviously use Kolonisation. USI Life Support is nominally independent but there is a lot of synergy between the two (more recycling parts in Kolonisation, more habitats to live in).

The 750-series propellers from Karbonite are referred to ingame as 'turboprops' but, judging from their design, I'm almost certain they're propfans instead. Could someone clarify?

(@RoverDude Still waiting on a replacement Ka thread)

Edited by voicey99

Hi, what happened to the orbital shipyard and tundra objects? These missing parts have made one of the asteroids I had in orbit disappear...

Thank you!

Edited by albalma01
I needed to add to my post...

1 hour ago, albalma01 said:

Hi, what happened to the orbital shipyard and tundra objects? These missing parts have made one of the asteroids I had in orbit disappear...

Thank you!

No parts in those lines have been removed as of late, my guess would be the install screwed up.

22 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Can you even look back a couple of pages to see why?

Failing that, there is a search button. Use it.

They don't even need to look far. The answer is literally on the previous page. :D

I've been playing with 1.3 for a while now and enjoying much higher framerates and physics responsiveness, thanks for all the good work!

So here's my current obsession, the Wernher von Kerman MkIII:

Spoiler

screenshot28.jpg

She's my first and only warp-capable ship so far (man those warp engines are expensive). She was built as MkI with just the warp drive, Orca pod and a few hitchhikers, with two Tundra hubs on each side of the warp drive for extensibility, plus the SpaceY Penguin engine to get her into Moon orbit and as impulse drive for non-warp maneuvers.

Of course there's also a reactor to provide power and some radiators:

screenshot29.jpg

At the time I didn't have any in-space manufacturing, so the first version had to be fairly light. Because I wouldn't be able to afford a second warp drive any time soon, the hubs meant that I could upgrade her as needed.

The first upgrade was two 2.75m habs, one for habitation and one as greenhouse, plus an Agroponics module and a Kerbitat. These are still visible in the MkIII, habs just behind the Orca and the other modules are now what the hab rings are attached to:

screenshot27.jpg

This allowed more extended trips without running out of supplies or hab time, albeit with a still fairly small crew. However with MkII I was able to colonize Phobos, which turned out to be very rich in resources and so that became my main manufacturing site, with the added benefit that the low gravity made it easy to land even a huge warp ship.

So for the final (for now) upgrade shown in the screenshots above, I added a workshop (OSE enabled), two Hab rings which allowed both smaller habs to be configured as greenhouses, and a 3.75m Kerbitat for entertainment on those long trips.

The upgrades worked surprisingly well, using KIS for the smaller parts and MKS Konstruction ports for the large Kerbitat and the rings. Because I planned the upgrades in the VAB, which parts should go where, I was still able to manage a balanced weight distribution along her prograde axis, so the impulse drive still doesn't genererate much torque.

12 minutes ago, jd284 said:

I've been playing with 1.3 for a while now and enjoying much higher framerates and physics responsiveness, thanks for all the good work!

So here's my current obsession, the Wernher von Kerman MkIII:

Hide contents

screenshot28.jpg

She's my first and only warp-capable ship so far (man those warp engines are expensive). She was built as MkI with just the warp drive, Orca pod and a few hitchhikers, with two Tundra hubs on each side of the warp drive for extensibility, plus the SpaceY Penguin engine to get her into Moon orbit and as impulse drive for non-warp maneuvers.

Of course there's also a reactor to provide power and some radiators:

screenshot29.jpg

At the time I didn't have any in-space manufacturing, so the first version had to be fairly light. Because I wouldn't be able to afford a second warp drive any time soon, the hubs meant that I could upgrade her as needed.

The first upgrade was two 2.75m habs, one for habitation and one as greenhouse, plus an Agroponics module and a Kerbitat. These are still visible in the MkIII, habs just behind the Orca and the other modules are now what the hab rings are attached to:

screenshot27.jpg

This allowed more extended trips without running out of supplies or hab time,albeit with a still fairly small crew. However with MkII I was able to colonize Phobos, which turned out to be very rich in resources and so that became my main manufacturing site, with the added benefit that the low gravity made it easy to land even a huge warp ship.

So for the final (for now) upgrade shown in the screenshots above, I added a workshop (OSE enabled), two Hab rings which allowed both smaller habs to be configured as greenhouses, and a 3.75m Kerbitat for entertainment on those long trips.

The upgrades worked surprisingly well, using KIS for the smaller parts and MKS Konstruction ports for the large Kerbitat and the rings. Because I planned the upgrades in the VAB, which parts should go where, I was still able to manage a balanced weight distribution along her prograde axis, so the impulse drive still doesn't generate much torque.

THERE IS NO KILL LIKE OVERKILL! How many kerbs can that thing support indefinitely? How much ΔV has it got (excluding the cheat drive)? I usually stick a stock cupola on the end of the Orca for a tiny bit more hab and to avoid the unsightly adaptor frame.

The habrings also seem to act as wheels-if only they were flywheels too.

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

THERE IS NO KILL LIKE OVERKILL! How many kerbs can that thing support indefinitely? How much ΔV has it got (excluding the cheat drive)? I usually stick a stock cupola on the end of the Orca for a tiny bit more hab and to avoid the unsightly adaptor frame.

Cheat drive, UR a hoot.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Cheat drive, UR a hoot.

As you may have picked up in the past, I do try to avoid it in favour of more traditional methods. I guess it's a little more important in RSS.

5 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The agroponics could keep up with about 60 kerbals if I add more recyclers. Currently the recyclers are the limiting factor, and only good for 20 kerbals. MKS really needs some bulk recyclers, with low efficiency but high throughput, like a dozen or so RT-500 packed into a Tundra module. Still, it can't support them indefinitely, only as long as 7000 fertilizer will last.

With the SpY Penguin and using SMURFF and fully load with machinery and supplies it has about 600 m/s Δv, but with the warp drive that's enough, the impulse drive is only needed for small course corrections and for close-range maneuvers before docking. The warp ship itself never goes into low orbit for which it would need significant impulse Δv, just a highly elliptical orbit (6400 km by 200 km for Earth) into which it can get with just the warp drive. Only crew shuttles go between this elliptical orbit and LEO to my space station.

There's no way I'm landing this on anything but Phobos. Gilly would probably be fine too if you don't play RSS.

17 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

As you may have picked up in the past, I do try to avoid it in favour of more traditional methods. I guess it's a little more important in RSS.

It's just funny because in the case of that drive, unless you have mastered it (I never have) it is far from a cheat drive. It's more of a rage quit drive.  It is actually fairly balanced IMO given the size constraints and managing to use it properly.

As you may have picked up in the past I get annoyed with people who like to throw around the "cheaty" tag with abandon.

11 minutes ago, jd284 said:

The agroponics could keep up with about 60 kerbals if I add more recyclers. Currently the recyclers are the limiting factor, and only good for 20 kerbals. MKS really needs some bulk recyclers, with low efficiency but high throughput, like a dozen or so RT-500 packed into a Tundra module.

Feel free to toss this up as a github issue and I'll talk to RD about it.

29 minutes ago, jd284 said:

The agroponics could keep up with about 60 kerbals if I add more recyclers. Currently the recyclers are the limiting factor, and only good for 20 kerbals. MKS really needs some bulk recyclers, with low efficiency but high throughput, like a dozen or so RT-500 packed into a Tundra module. Still, it can't support them indefinitely, only as long as 7000 fertilizer will last.

The Orca has an excellent recycler for 6 kerbals, but it's really heavy. I can amend my SXT patch again to turn the big orbital hab into a 73.5%/6-person or 70%/12-person recycler if you want.

29 minutes ago, jd284 said:

There's no way I'm landing this on anything but Phobos. Gilly would probably be fine too if you don't play RSS.

What about Deimos (if that's in RSS)?

26 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It's just funny because in the case of that drive, unless you have mastered it (I never have) it is far from a cheat drive. It's more of a rage quit drive.  It is actually fairly balanced IMO given the size constraints and managing to use it properly.

As you may have picked up in the past I get annoyed with people who like to throw around the "cheaty" tag with abandon.

I consider it cheaty (as the AD is a piece of very contentious and highly theoretical science), but I don't whinge about it-I just don't use it myself. I'll refer to it as 'highly speculative warp drive' from now on, then.

Edited by voicey99

23 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Feel free to toss this up as a github issue and I'll talk to RD about it.

I added #1293.

8 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The Orca has an excellent recycler for 6 kerbals, but it's really heavy. I can amend my SXT patch again to turn the big orbital hab into a 73.5%/6-person or 70%/12-person recycler if you want.

I'm more looking for something like a 50%/20+ person recycler, since after you have a high-efficiency recycler to set the cap, you just need to spam low-efficiency recyclers according to crew count.

11 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

What about Deimos (if that's in RSS)?

Of course Deimos is there, but at least in my game it didn't have a lot of resources, and is kind of annoying to reach with the warp drive (at least compared to Phobos with its low orbital period).

11 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I consider it cheaty (as the AD is a piece of very contentious and highly theoretical science), but I don't whinge about it-I just don't use it myself. I'll refer to it as 'highly speculative warp drive' from now on, then.

Well it does cut down on the transfer times, which aren't particularly exciting gameplay wise, although life support does change that. Still, adding some more fertilizer containers isn't very exciting either.

Personally I found the warp drive interesting because it adds completely new maneuver mechanics, due to the way it conserves momentum and requires often large velocity adjustments. After having done quite enough Hohmann transfers over the years, I found this an interesting new challenge.

But each to their own, of course.

15 minutes ago, jd284 said:

I'm more looking for something like a 50%/20+ person recycler, since after you have a high-efficiency recycler to set the cap, you just need to spam low-efficiency recyclers according to crew count.

According to the guidelines I can do 63.5% for 20 kerbs in a 5t part for 21.25EC/s. That good enough?

Edited by voicey99

48 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

According to the guidelines I can do 63.5% for 20 kerbs in a 5t part for 21.25EC/s. That good enough?

Then I guess the RT-500 doesn't follow the guidelines, because that can do 60% for 20 kerbs in 2t... so it's still by far the superior choice to spam it.

6 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Then I guess the RT-500 doesn't follow the guidelines, because that can do 60% for 20 kerbs in 2t... so it's still by far the superior choice to spam it.

The spreadsheet says it should weigh 0.119t, so it almost does. The law of diminishing returns applies strongly with USI-LS recyclers, since adding 1% to 60% adds a LOT more weight than adding 1% to 50%. The big SXT cabin can support 42 kerbs at 60% for 21.5EC/s

Edited by voicey99