[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Minor bug that I think must have been due to this mod:

Routine rescue contract about the Mun.  The Kerbal I pulled in was a tourist.  He had no problems EVAing over to my rocket, though.

Update:  The mission got home.  I have a Tourist in my roster.

KSP version?

MKS version?

Any other mods installed?

Can you reproduce the issue with just USI mods installed?

Can you provide a save game with the problem with only USI mods installed?

(the standard set of questions to help diagnose a problem)

8 hours ago, Terwin said:

KSP version?

MKS version?

Any other mods installed?

Can you reproduce the issue with just USI mods installed?

Can you provide a save game with the problem with only USI mods installed?

(the standard set of questions to help diagnose a problem)

I very much doubt this could be reproduced other than randomly--who spawns in a rescue is semi-random.

KSP 1.2.2.1622

MKS: .0.50.18.0

A gazillion other mods but nothing else that messes with the kerbal types which is why I figured it was Kolonization.

I think what's happening is it is picking from the available types and not considering that tourists should not be selected.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I very much doubt this could be reproduced other than randomly--who spawns in a rescue is semi-random.

KSP 1.2.2.1622

MKS: .0.50.18.0

A gazillion other mods but nothing else that messes with the kerbal types which is why I figured it was Kolonization.

I think what's happening is it is picking from the available types and not considering that tourists should not be selected.

I expect you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.  Do you have USI-LS installed?  Bear in mind because you're on an older version there's very little we can do to help.

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I expect you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.  Do you have USI-LS installed?  Bear in mind because you're on an older version there's very little we can do to help.

Yes, I have USI-LS, but it doesn't mess with the types of Kerbals.  Kolonization does.

23 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Yes, I have USI-LS, but it doesn't mess with the types of Kerbals.  Kolonization does.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. USI-LS turns kerbals into tourists when they run out of supplies or hab. Looks like you triggered a bug in an older version of it. Anyway, the USI-LS thread has plenty of posts about how to deal with this.

24 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Sorry to be so blunt, but you're wrong. USI-LS turns kerbals into tourists when they run out of supplies or hab. Looks like you triggered a bug in an older version of it. Anyway, the USI-LS thread has plenty of posts about how to deal with this.

Temporarily until they get supplies.  What I'm seeing is permanent.

32 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Temporarily until they get supplies.  What I'm seeing is permanent.

Yes, because you hit a bug in USI-LS and the change back didn't work as a result. No other USI mod changes kerbal professions however.

1 hour ago, Loren Pechtel said:

No, but USI-LS is what turns things into tourists :wink:  Hence why I say you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.  Also, this was a USI-LS bug fixed in the 1.3.x version, not sure if it was fixed in a 1.2.x compatible version (it's probably noted in the USI-LS changelog)

And I am investigating supplies not resetting things even as we speak - but please note that this will only be a fix in 1.3

So I've investigated the return of supplies not properly resetting Kerbals and cannot repro this on a 1.3.x save.  So if anyone is experiencing this in KSP 1.3 with 1.3 compatible versions of USI-LS, etc. please let me know (and ideally show me a save).

17 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

USI_InertialDampener. It comes with the USITools DLL (not the MKS DLL, KolonyTools).

If I assign "ground tethering" to part from KAS mod(pylon), will the function work correctly?

Edited by Oyster

Just now, Oyster said:

If I assign "ground tethering" to part from KAS mod(pylon), will the function work correctly?

I believe so. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Edited by voicey99

First post here. Question: Why does it say my content will need to be approved by a moderator? =\ 

Anyhow, I have a few questions about MKS/USI/EPL - those are the biggest mods I'm using. There's a few others, but nothing major, just quality of life stuff like mech jeb. 

1. I sort of figured out planetary logistics. I have a mining base pulling up ore on  minmus, and a base like 8k away that's my central resource hub. The resources are going from the mining base (Side note here for rover dude, maybe a tiny bit nitpicky - but to do planetary logistics with the tundra you use the pioneer module, with the duna, the pioneer doesn't work and you have to use the logistics module. That was SUPER misleading for me, and I ended up making a mining base with a pioneer duna, and having to scrap it :( - just a thought, maybe a different name would make things more clear to newer players)

A lot of things work on my unattached structures around the base, like material kits, and metallic ore. Basically anything the assembly plant needs it'll pull in (Attached to the assembly plant I have a ton of the small box kontainers, each with planetary/local warehouse turned on, one of these is the stock resource ORE.) I have a ISRU Convertotron 250 attached to the assembly bay, and when I turn it on, it says no ore. For some reason, ore isn't making it into the containers on my assembly plant, and local logistics isn't working. 

This is cramping the hell out of my entire idea to create EVERYTHING on minmus, with the idea of kolonizing each planet that I can in order. The best I can tell, I'm going to have to attach a logistics module to the ISRU in order to get it to work, with an ore container on it. 

That means another pilot, another hab set-up, and maybe another power set-up in the event that those microwave things don't transfer fast enough (Haven't tried them yet, intending to). I'd prefer to just be able to slap the ISRU on to a production building, as it benefits from engineers, and I already have engineers in there. 

I also have all my supplies in planetary logistics , and a 1.25m kontainer with the rest set to disperse it locally, but some of my buildings aren't taking supplies, despite having a supplies kontainer on them, set to local warehouse. I haven't fully tested them, but it's possible the supplies are used as soon as they enter, or only as they are needed, thus it always says "0"? 

2. I noticed there are fuel transfer attachments that MKS/USI/ETC added. These attachments have a storage for fuel, and can only transfer one type. I got a bit excited when I saw these - (I'll be able to build refueling rovers, attach them to the new craft I create to refuel! Just need to slap in some kontainers with the warehouse options checked, and I have mobile refueling) - however after seeing how ore doesn't work unless the MKS bit specifically consumes it, and nothing attached to it does, I'm a bit worried that this won't work. I'd appreciate any advice on how to achieve this, because currently when I build something with EPL, no matter what I do with the sliders (Moving them about for fuel, machinery, EC) the ship that comes out is ALWAYS empty of everything. I've taken to putting a single tiny solar panel on everything I build, just so I can get a bit of EC to extend solar, then destroying it later. 

If someone could tell me what's going wrong there - I'd love it, and if someone can tell me if my rover idea is possible, I'd love that too. I mean, I suppose I could just add a duna logistics to the rover, but it really seems like it should work without that.  

3. I'm currently getting mixed results with habitation, and not sure what to make of it. I had 2 people in a mining outpost I created, and when I expanded everything out - they each read different home values. One says indefinate or something meaning she's good forever, the other says something like 3-4 years. Also, if someone could point me to the formula for habitation, so I know what it takes for each kerbal to reach that "golden zone" of I don't have to love with you anymore, I'd be happy. I currently managed to get my one pilot mining contraptions set up correctly, no problem. 

46 minutes ago, Virulent said:

Question: Why does it say my content will need to be approved by a moderator?

Because your post needs to be approved by a moderator.  Duh.  :P

...just kidding. Seriously though, it's a standard thing that everyone goes through, for their first five posts.  It's an unfortunately necessary defense measure against spambots.  It'll automatically go away once you've made a few more posts.

And welcome to the forums!  :)

1 hour ago, Virulent said:

This is cramping the hell out of my entire idea to create EVERYTHING on minmus, with the idea of kolonizing each planet that I can in order. The best I can tell, I'm going to have to attach a logistics module to the ISRU in order to get it to work, with an ore container on it. 

That means another pilot, another hab set-up, and maybe another power set-up in the event that those microwave things don't transfer fast enough (Haven't tried them yet, intending to). I'd prefer to just be able to slap the ISRU on to a production building, as it benefits from engineers, and I already have engineers in there. 

I can't address the rest of your stuff but I think the answer here is a pair of mods:  KIS and KAS.  (I'm not sure which you actually need in this case.)

What they allow is to put things together or take things apart out in space.  Thus take an ISRU and attach it to your existing base.

9 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I can't address the rest of your stuff but I think the answer here is a pair of mods:  KIS and KAS.  (I'm not sure which you actually need in this case.)

What they allow is to put things together or take things apart out in space.  Thus take an ISRU and attach it to your existing base.

I already have that mod, and use it. I am trying to not have one large connected base - I.E. I'd like to have an assembly node, a smelter node, a sifter node, and an agroponics node, along with my power node, logistics node, and fuel node.

The ISRU is attached to the assembly plant, which is pulling everything just fine, except the ore. I think I can make it work if I attach a pioneer module to every single craft I make, I'm just not really all that crazy about that idea. Seems like a waste to me. 

2 hours ago, Virulent said:

Side note here for rover dude, maybe a tiny bit nitpicky - but to do planetary logistics with the tundra you use the pioneer module, with the duna, the pioneer doesn't work and you have to use the logistics module. That was SUPER misleading for me, and I ended up making a mining base with a pioneer duna, and having to scrap it :( - just a thought, maybe a different name would make things more clear to newer players

The confusing thing is that the tundra module is a pioneer and a logistics center put together (the name is "MKS Tundra Pioneer - Logistics Module") while the Duna series has two separate parts ("MKS Duna Logistics Center" and "MKS Duna Pioneer Module"). The 1 part vs 2 parts isn't going to change but if you have a better way to inform players, let me know and I'll add it.

1. I sort of figured out planetary logistics. I have a mining base pulling up ore on  minmus, and a base like 8k away that's my central resource hub. The resources are going from the mining base (Side note here for rover dude, maybe a tiny bit nitpicky - but to do planetary logistics with the tundra you use the pioneer module, with the duna, the pioneer doesn't work and you have to use the logistics module. That was SUPER misleading for me, and I ended up making a mining base with a pioneer duna, and having to scrap it :( - just a thought, maybe a different name would make things more clear to newer players)

A lot of things work on my unattached structures around the base, like material kits, and metallic ore. Basically anything the assembly plant needs it'll pull in (Attached to the assembly plant I have a ton of the small box kontainers, each with planetary/local warehouse turned on, one of these is the stock resource ORE.) I have a ISRU Convertotron 250 attached to the assembly bay, and when I turn it on, it says no ore. For some reason, ore isn't making it into the containers on my assembly plant, and local logistics isn't working. 

I also have all my supplies in planetary logistics , and a 1.25m kontainer with the rest set to disperse it locally, but some of my buildings aren't taking supplies, despite having a supplies kontainer on them, set to local warehouse. I haven't fully tested them, but it's possible the supplies are used as soon as they enter, or only as they are needed, thus it always says "0"?

Something that will help you a lot with local logistics is the local logistics GUI (it lets you manually push and pull stuff between disconnected vessels). To open it, click the button that is a flag on a planet and then click the local logistics tab.

2. I noticed there are fuel transfer attachments that MKS/USI/ETC added. These attachments have a storage for fuel, and can only transfer one type. I got a bit excited when I saw these - (I'll be able to build refueling rovers, attach them to the new craft I create to refuel! Just need to slap in some kontainers with the warehouse options checked, and I have mobile refueling) - however after seeing how ore doesn't work unless the MKS bit specifically consumes it, and nothing attached to it does, I'm a bit worried that this won't work. I'd appreciate any advice on how to achieve this, because currently when I build something with EPL, no matter what I do with the sliders (Moving them about for fuel, machinery, EC) the ship that comes out is ALWAYS empty of everything. I've taken to putting a single tiny solar panel on everything I build, just so I can get a bit of EC to extend solar, then destroying it later. 

If someone could tell me what's going wrong there - I'd love it, and if someone can tell me if my rover idea is possible, I'd love that too. I mean, I suppose I could just add a duna logistics to the rover, but it really seems like it should work without that.  

See #1, also machinery doesn't work with logistics, you need to eva a kerbal and have them right click on the part that needs machinery and then click on the "Perform Maintenance" button. EC also doesn't use the normal logistics system, instead use either a PDU or the "Power Coupler" (looks like a box with a bunch of holes) or the "Microwave Power Transceiver" (box with a basketball hoop on top).

3. I'm currently getting mixed results with habitation, and not sure what to make of it. I had 2 people in a mining outpost I created, and when I expanded everything out - they each read different home values. One says indefinate or something meaning she's good forever, the other says something like 3-4 years. Also, if someone could point me to the formula for habitation, so I know what it takes for each kerbal to reach that "golden zone" of I don't have to love with you anymore, I'd be happy. I currently managed to get my one pilot mining contraptions set up correctly, no problem. 

Pilots and Scouts are more comfortable in space than other kerbals so once they get more than 1 year of hab (1 year is the default, but you can change it in the settings gui), they turn that into ∞ hab. You can't do it with any other types of kerbals.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions or post any suggestions/requests.

29 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

The confusing thing is that the tundra module is a pioneer and a logistics center put together (the name is "MKS Tundra Pioneer - Logistics Module") while the Duna series has two separate parts ("MKS Duna Logistics Center" and "MKS Duna Pioneer Module"). The 1 part vs 2 parts isn't going to change but if you have a better way to inform players, let me know and I'll add it.

Something that will help you a lot with local logistics is the local logistics GUI (it lets you manually push and pull stuff between disconnected vessels). To open it, click the button that is a flag on a planet and then click the local logistics tab.

See #1, also machinery doesn't work with logistics, you need to eva a kerbal and have them right click on the part that needs machinery and then click on the "Perform Maintenance" button. EC also doesn't use the normal logistics system, instead use either a PDU or the "Power Coupler" (looks like a box with a bunch of holes) or the "Microwave Power Transceiver" (box with a basketball hoop on top).

Pilots and Scouts are more comfortable in space than other kerbals so once they get more than 1 year of hab (1 year is the default, but you can change it in the settings gui), they turn that into ∞ hab. You can't do it with any other types of kerbals.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any other questions or post any suggestions/requests.

On the confusing point - I just checked in-game And I think the problem is how it flows with the rest of the names in game, from a visual representation point of view. None of the others really have two module names in them, so maybe the best choice would be to call it something completely different. Call it the dolphin or hermit crab or something - keeping in line with the aquatic names persistant throughout the mod. I like that naming convention better - Salamander or Orca are easier to remember than "Pioneer logistics Module" or the confusing coming from the similar functions of smelters and assemblers - they are named in a way that I have to always double check which one I grabbed.

Also, color coding the icon backdrops may help with this - as currently when I am searching, I see all the modules in the vab stacked together, looking identical. these are more polish things, but quality of life is important. I may even be willing to do some artwork for the mod, as my background is exclusively in 3D modeling, and digital layout/design. 

On to point two - thanks for telling me about the local logistics menu. I'll have to look for that and I'm sure it'll be useful when assembling new craft - however, I don't see how that even comes close to solving my ore problem - aside from sitting a 5m tank on my isru and filling it manually ever so often. That isn't exactly what I want to do. I'm actually looking to make an attractive looking base and working out different design options and obstacles. Is it possibly because the ISRU is not considered a "Logistics consumer" even though the assembly plant it is attached to, is considered a consumer? Also my icon doesn't look AT ALL like a planet with a flag, I found the GUI element you were talking about, but it looks more like ball with 8 or so arms coming out of it, with balls on the end of that. Kind of like a really inaccurate drawing of an atom or something. It's very small, much smaller than the rest of the icons so I can't tell. 

I understand machinery not working with logistics - and I'm fine with that. The thing that I'm concerned with, is say a mining base, with a habitat, needs machinery. I don't produce machinery at that base (Don't see the need, prefer to create infinite habitat logistic module bases scattered around the planet where the getting is good) - I would like to have a method that when EPL builds the ship, machinery gets put inside. Currently that doesn't happen, and neither does fuel - I have zero idea why it isn't working. It is possibly because there are no fuel or storage warehouse type things in the VRB module. I edited the CFG to make the assembly plant work like the EPL lander can, because I didn't want to use the launch pad, it's not large enough for some of the longer craft, and totally useless for rovers I'd imagine, being that high up. I am just using the stakes instead. I have those basketball hoop bits and I love them. I'm just making long distance miners who wouldn't benefit from that, So I have seen no need to put those on. 

That's interesting about the pilots. So no matter what, only pilots can stay "forever" in space? Does this mean that I'll need to plan a return voyage ever so often, for new kerbals? What is the math behind getting one kerbal to be comfortable there forever - say in a logistics module? 

On the confusing point - I just checked in-game And I think the problem is how it flows with the rest of the names in game, from a visual representation point of view. None of the others really have two module names in them, so maybe the best choice would be to call it something completely different. Call it the dolphin or hermit crab or something - keeping in line with the aquatic names persistant throughout the mod. I like that naming convention better - Salamander or Orca are easier to remember than "Pioneer logistics Module" or the confusing coming from the similar functions of smelters and assemblers - they are named in a way that I have to always double check which one I grabbed.

Also, color coding the icon backdrops may help with this - as currently when I am searching, I see all the modules in the vab stacked together, looking identical. these are more polish things, but quality of life is important. I may even be willing to do some artwork for the mod, as my background is exclusively in 3D modeling, and digital layout/design. 

On to point two - thanks for telling me about the local logistics menu. I'll have to look for that and I'm sure it'll be useful when assembling new craft - however, I don't see how that even comes close to solving my ore problem - aside from sitting a 5m tank on my isru and filling it manually ever so often. That isn't exactly what I want to do. I'm actually looking to make an attractive looking base and working out different design options and obstacles. Is it possibly because the ISRU is not considered a "Logistics consumer" even though the assembly plant it is attached to, is considered a consumer? Also my icon doesn't look AT ALL like a planet with a flag, I found the GUI element you were talking about, but it looks more like ball with 8 or so arms coming out of it, with balls on the end of that. Kind of like a really inaccurate drawing of an atom or something. It's very small, much smaller than the rest of the icons so I can't tell. 

I understand machinery not working with logistics - and I'm fine with that. The thing that I'm concerned with, is say a mining base, with a habitat, needs machinery. I don't produce machinery at that base (Don't see the need, prefer to create infinite habitat logistic module bases scattered around the planet where the getting is good) - I would like to have a method that when EPL builds the ship, machinery gets put inside. Currently that doesn't happen, and neither does fuel - I have zero idea why it isn't working. It is possibly because there are no fuel or storage warehouse type things in the VRB module. I edited the CFG to make the assembly plant work like the EPL lander can, because I didn't want to use the launch pad, it's not large enough for some of the longer craft, and totally useless for rovers I'd imagine, being that high up. I am just using the stakes instead. I have those basketball hoop bits and I love them. I'm just making long distance miners who wouldn't benefit from that, So I have seen no need to put those on. 

That's interesting about the pilots. So no matter what, only pilots can stay "forever" in space? Does this mean that I'll need to plan a return voyage ever so often, for new kerbals? What is the math behind getting one kerbal to be comfortable there forever - say in a logistics module? 

None of the other colony parts have nicknames. That might just make it confusing, since they don't need them.

All the Kolonisation parts use one universal template model for each line, so you would have to create a whole load of new, unique models for that. But by all means!

The stock ISRU is not a logistics consumer, nor is the 5m tank. I'm not sure what the module is to add that, try adding the MKSModule to it? And by 5m tank do you mean the USI tank? If it's non-USI it won't interact with logistics properly.

Never used EPL, sorry. I think machinery can be transferred by PL, though. EPL is also not officially supported, so don't expect any work to be done on this.

Pilots/scouts only need one year of habtime to get perma hab. All other kerbals get perma hab when their timer is above 50yrs, or 1yr if that planet's Kolonisation rating is >500%.

13 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The stock ISRU is not a logistics consumer, nor is the 5m tank. I'm not sure what the module is to add that, try adding the MKSModule to it?

MKSModule is for things related to bonuses and research.

You need ModuleLogisticsConsumer for that. It's automatically added in a patch to all USI converters, so you don't see it directly in the part file (it's also automatically added to parts having MksModule, but that would bring additional things).

1 minute ago, TauPhraim said:

You need ModuleLogisticsConsumer for that. It's automatically added in a patch to all USI converters, so you don't see it directly in the part file (it's also automatically added to parts having MksModule, but that would bring additional things).

@Virulent In that case, add this to AddConsumers.cfg (correct if wrong):

Spoiler

@PART[ISRU,MiniSRU]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLogisticsConsumer
    }
}

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

None of the other colony parts have nicknames. That might just make it confusing, since they don't need them.

All the Kolonisation parts use one universal template model for each line, so you would have to create a whole load of new, unique models for that. But by all means!

The stock ISRU is not a logistics consumer, nor is the 5m tank. I'm not sure what the module is to add that, try adding the MKSModule to it? And by 5m tank do you mean the USI tank? If it's non-USI it won't interact with logistics properly.

Never used EPL, sorry. I think machinery can be transferred by PL, though. EPL is also not officially supported, so don't expect any work to be done on this.

Pilots/scouts only need one year of habtime to get perma hab. All other kerbals get perma hab when their timer is above 50yrs, or 1yr if that planet's Kolonisation rating is >500%.

How do you raise a planet's kolonization rating, and where can you see that?  Also, 50 years seems like an absolute ton. Is there a way to get that multiplier up real high, for say - a space station? It seems to me that habitation space needed is a factor of how many kerbals are on a craft, so to send say 40 kerbals to jool or some excrements, I'd need an absolute TON of hab, or a big bunch of modifiers? 

I like that the models are all very similar and the tundras look great - I was thinking that it'd be nice if you could skin them like you can the fuel kontainers, and maybe they each had their own base color so it'd be easy to pick them out. Green for growing, yellow for building, red for fuel or some excrements. People could then "paint" them all a certain color in situ if they wanted. 

47 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

Well that's nifty. It feels a little bit cheaty - but I think it should work that way anyhow. I kind of wish Roverdude would make a fuel tundra, I'm still at a loss for how to make the karbonite and karborundum excrements as well, but I'm sure I'll figure it out as soon as a bother to look into it. 

44 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

@Virulent In that case, add this to AddConsumers.cfg (correct if wrong):

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[ISRU,MiniSRU]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLogisticsConsumer
    }
}

Thanks for the exact lines of code. I appreciate it. 

On EL: The sliders to transfer resources don't apply to survey builds (where you're using the survey stakes).  Resources are only auto-transferred to the new vessel if it's built attached to a launchpad.  (I recommend Keridian Dynamics for some better launchpad parts.)  Some resources can be built into new vessels (solid fuel, ablator), but that depends on whether there's a recipe for it.

(This is OT for this thread though - if you have more questions on EL, I'd suggest you take it over to that thread, as it's not really supported in MKS any longer.  The MKS way to build things is with GC, and it can transfer resources to newly built vessels remotely.)

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

On EL: The sliders to transfer resources don't apply to survey builds (where you're using the survey stakes).  Resources are only auto-transferred to the new vessel if it's built attached to a launchpad.  (I recommend Keridian Dynamics for some better launchpad parts.)  Some resources can be built into new vessels (solid fuel, ablator), but that depends on whether there's a recipe for it.

(This is OT for this thread though - if you have more questions on EL, I'd suggest you take it over to that thread, as it's not really supported in MKS any longer.  The MKS way to build things is with GC, and it can transfer resources to newly built vessels remotely.)

What is GC? I thought EPL was the only game in town. 

Also, I realized that I *massively* undercalculated the power draw of the drills. In trying to find something that could do 3600ec/sec for two strip miners, I saw the largest reactor. It requires cooling in the realm of 1600KW. The largest cooling option I see in the VAB with MKS/USI/KIS/KAS installed, is the stock radiators, which cool something like 85k. They are absolutely massive though, and fitting them on to a mining rig isn't exactly practical. How the hell were we intended to cool these things? 

Also, as a side note, I am at a loss for how to enrich uranium. I saw a forum post about a nuclear processor in MKS, but I can't find it - I'm starting to think that I'm missing a lot of stuff in the VAB, I.E. it just isn't showing up. Also I notice stuff isn't in the same place a lot. For example the Tundra Assembly Plant doesn't show up kolonization tab. is there some way to fix this? Typically I have to dig through the advanced menu to find stuff, and I like it less.