[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

IIRC @RoverDude has talked about future plans to add large scale ground structures for longer term colonies.

I believe Ground Construction(or making something similar) was a prerequisite because he wanted base modules that were of a size that is infeasible to launch.

So no reason he could not start including larger structures in his next release, if he has time to work on them.(I think I even remember some potential models being shown at one point) 

9 hours ago, jd284 said:

and the hab rings on the ground is just silly.

With the current model perhaps, but there have been serious studies done into using rotating habitats on low-g surfaces to augment the perceived gravity experienced by inhabitants. Mostly in the form of a slowly rotating bowl rather than a torus though.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
remove duplication

Quick suggestion (hope that's quick to implement too):

The Planetary Resources tab of the Kolonization Menu is displaying every resource ever pushed to planetary storage, even if it's long gone. Is it possible to remove certain elements of the list 'by force', like with a button if there's no more in the storage (and the player knows it won't likely be pushed to PS in the future)?

Say I landed with a new base on the planet, and had to push Metals, Polymers and Chemicals briefly to PS to just reassemble my base. Future operations will just pull MetallicOre, Minerals and Substrate from PS (since the mining sites are far away), but will store all intermediate products on site, so PS won't be burdened with them. This way one can weed out the list to make it a little shorter and thus clearer. 

For some reason I cannot find the MKS 'Ranger' Inflatable Workshop which is listed on the Wiki as well as the internal KSPedia. I'm doing my best at learning the game through careeer mode... so finding the parts has been a hassle.

I've reviewed the config file of this part, which says "TechRequired = advConstruction" which the part does not exist in this tech tree. Why?

I've installed a quick search mod that lets me search the skill tree and still cannot find it. Has it been removed and the wikis are not updated? I'm worried other parts are conflicting/non-existance.

Do you have CTT installed?

In patches folder for MKS we have the following

@PART[Ranger_Workshop]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = nanolathing
}

@PART[Tundra_Workshop250]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
    @TechRequired = nanolathing
}

It must have came with one of the mods I downloaded, excuse me if it came with the USI Kolonization but in my game data folder I do have CommunityTechTree.

I have found it. Thank you.

Is there an actual list or method I can use to find these parts better in the tech tree? QuickSearch mod doesn't seem to find half the stuff from USI and this is getting frustrating, heh. Thank you!

Question: Why won't my sifter crush dirt into gypson?

So I've nearly got the basics understood. I've got tons of dirt in my station, but want to crush it up to get other resources. Mainly I'm just wanting some gypson. The issue is, using the sifter only can make fertilizer if I have gypson. When I set the sifter to "crush" nothing happens. My electrical charge goes down but none of my dirt or any other resources go down or up. What is up with this? Is there some other way to get gypson from dirt or do I have to skip the whole sifting stage and just mine the gypson directy?

1 hour ago, cinderous said:

Question: Why won't my sifter crush dirt into gypson?

So I've nearly got the basics understood. I've got tons of dirt in my station, but want to crush it up to get other resources. Mainly I'm just wanting some gypson. The issue is, using the sifter only can make fertilizer if I have gypson. When I set the sifter to "crush" nothing happens. My electrical charge goes down but none of my dirt or any other resources go down or up. What is up with this? Is there some other way to get gypson from dirt or do I have to skip the whole sifting stage and just mine the gypson directy?

You need to first sift the dirt with a sifter, then crush gypsum using a crusher to get fertilizer. Is dirt going down when you power up the sifter? Which converter are you using on it?

In addition to the other point above, note that if you have a Ranger Sifter (the small one), it can only extract resources with at least 1% average abundance on the planet/moon. To extract the less abundant resources you need the large Tundra sifter.

Or mine them directly with a drill, after you've found a good deposit.

Not sure if this is the best thread to ask, but does anyone have any pics/examples for inspiration of a Mk3 aircraft that is capable of deploying the Karibou?

I have obviously gotten it to fit, but since it won't drive on its own power with the wheels retracted, it won't drive off the cargo ramp. I've also attempted to tow it off the ramp with a separate, smaller rover, but the Karibou just gets jammed in the cargo bays.

The most success I have had has been air dropping it through the ventral (inverted Mk3 cargo bays) cargo bay, but the success rate is hardly anything that I would consider reliable. Maybe 1/10 attempts results in a fully intact rover + aircraft.

I have also put the Extra large landing gear on to give it more ground clearance to try and deploy it landed (my ideal solution) but it looked too ungainly and wasn't quite high enough for the Karibou to drive away underneath the aircraft anyway.

This is my best attempt so far:

NUsoQSi.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

Hi, trying to remember if there is a fix to an old issue.

I have a base with a Tundra PDU and some high end solar panels landed on Minmus. I wanted the solar panels to supply EC during the day and having the PDU running at night.  Any other nuke I use will behave this way; it's only the PDUs that have priority over solar.  Was there ever a workaround for that?

Thanks

44 minutes ago, Gilph said:

Hi, trying to remember if there is a fix to an old issue.

I have a base with a Tundra PDU and some high end solar panels landed on Minmus. I wanted the solar panels to supply EC during the day and having the PDU running at night.  Any other nuke I use will behave this way; it's only the PDUs that have priority over solar.  Was there ever a workaround for that?

Thanks

Also, PDU for some reason is subject to efficiency calculations. I think I had it produce as much EC/s as a 3.75m nuke reactor.

4 hours ago, Gilph said:

This is possibly a bug in the part config. It's missing the setting "FillAmount = 0.95" that all the other USI reactors have, except for the Duna and Tundra PDUs.

Should be easy to fix it with a quick MM patch.

3 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Also, PDU for some reason is subject to efficiency calculations. I think I had it produce as much EC/s as a 3.75m nuke reactor.

This is intended, I believe.

On 8/12/2017 at 8:08 PM, goldenpsp said:

The karibou is a perfect platform as a vtol lander.

Fair enough. I have deployed it that way. But isn't KSP about making things do stuff they weren't designed to do? Maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time..

The main reason I am attempting to do it this way is because of the way that I have my tech tree set up. I do not have access to the VTOL parts yet. That and stubbornness. The problem is also that once I realized the Karibou fit inside a Mk3 cargo bay, I got stuck on the idea of trying to deploy it that way.

Cheers,

Hello! First off, thank you for these great mods! I've been playing KSP for quite a while now, so I needed a new goal, something to do, so MKS and LS seemed the way to go...

I have been reading the entire wiki, been looking on the web etc etc, I still don't get it.... I tried to remake the Ranger exemple craft available on the wiki:

DunaDropship-After.png

I succesfully landed it and deployed in on Minmus for a test on a 6%+ gypsum environement. It is deployed, after much much effort and hate to place the FlexOTube to MKS Ranger Anchor Hub as it always turns wrong, but now what? I don't get what the drills do and tbh, the wiki doesn't say it either:

x9IEi.png

What is my drill doing in this configuration? I just want to extract gypsum to be able to turn it to fertilizer in order to grow supplies in my greenhouse. The drill just says "Dirt full" (I have an empty tank that takes dirt attached to the base, configured the tank on the exemple craft as it)

I don't understand what the crush o matic does:

x9IR2.png

What is [crusher] => Fertilizer(G)  (G stands for Gypsum??)

What is [smelter] => chemicals?

x9IUh.png

A lot of question, that I unfortunately can't answer even after re reading the wiki again and again. Cheers!

@Psychokiller1888 The X => Y toggles all work in the same basic way: X is the current setting and Y is what it will change to when you click the button. The next and prev. buttons below the option will cause Y to cycle through the available options then you can click the X => Y button to set the option you want. (They are separate because once you are in flight it will cost you MK and SP to change them). If you look in the PAW you can also see a line that says something like: "S1 Active Separator: Dirt" that also shows what the current (X) setting is.

[Crusher] and [Smelter] are for setting up these parts to improve the efficiency of some of the larger Duna/Tundra parts that benefit from smelters or crushers rather than creating anything themselves.

Fertilizer (G) is indeed the "make fertilizer from gypsum" option - others you'll see include (D) for dirt, (S) for substrate, (M) for minerals - you can see the various options listed in the part menus detail pane.

Hey i have a quick question because i want to uninstall kerbalism so i am able to use als the beautiful mods :) 
before i uninstall kerbalism i have a question about datatransfer of experiments, is it instant like in stock or does it take time to transfer science back home because i love this little feature

Thank you

Edited by Riggers

15 hours ago, jd284 said:

This is possibly a bug in the part config. It's missing the setting "FillAmount = 0.95" that all the other USI reactors have, except for the Duna and Tundra PDUs.

Should be easy to fix it with a quick MM patch.

Thanks @jd284, @sh1pman.

You both triggered a hopefully accurate memory that there needs to be a code change to address this. So, I'll go back to my old design of using PDUs for vessels that scale manufacturing (with lots of extra cooling), and nukes for the more fixed function, low scalable vessels.

3 hours ago, Riggers said:

Hey i have a quick question because i want to uninstall kerbalism so i am able to use als the beautiful mods :) 
before i uninstall kerbalism i have a question about datatransfer of experiments, is it instant like in stock or does it take time to transfer science back home because i love this little feature

Thank you

MKS does absolutely nothing with experiments - it doesn't have any, and it doesn't change how they behave.  So the only behavior would be stock or whatever the mod that the experiment pack comes with does.  (Surface Experiment Package for instance takes time to transmit, and is compatible.)

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

MKS does absolutely nothing with experiments - it doesn't have any, and it doesn't change how they behave.  So the only behavior would be stock or whatever the mod that the experiment pack comes with does.  (Surface Experiment Package for instance takes time to transmit, and is compatible.)

Thank you :)

(enjoing mks now)