[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

7 hours ago, voicey99 said:

.All bodies start at 100% by default, since USI parts use them as a multiplier-check this wikipage. I do believe the bonuses will only be gained by having a kerbal in an MKS part (all kolony parts and the Salamander). If you've landed on the Mun with vanilla or other mod parts but gone into Minmus' SOI in a crewed MKS module, that would explain it.

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yup, said bonuses are multipliers :)

Thanks for the explanations, I'm going to guess that's what happened as I know I'm starting to use the Salamander a bit for landers (I like the looks of it) and don't think I dropped one on The Mun yet. Also I was reading the Wiki and did notice the bonus, but for some reason my brain decided that 100%2 was equal to 1*2 :/ Obviously not how that works, but try telling a brain that's half asleep how to do math! Though oddly enough I worked a lot of the other math right rofl. Well due to my OCD I guess there's only one thing to do. To The Mun! With a Salamander.

6 minutes ago, Cynor said:

Thanks for the explanations, I'm going to guess that's what happened as I know I'm starting to use the Salamander a bit for landers (I like the looks of it) and don't think I dropped one on The Mun yet. Also I was reading the Wiki and did notice the bonus, but for some reason my brain decided that 100%2 was equal to 1*2 :/ Obviously not how that works, but try telling a brain that's half asleep how to do math! Though oddly enough I worked a lot of the other math right rofl. Well due to my OCD I guess there's only one thing to do. To The Mun! With a Salamander.

If you don't like hammering a calculator to work out load, there's a great little mod that crunches the numbers for you with regards to how ratings and more affect converter load n' stuff:

Edited by voicey99

Hey so I got another problem with this mod. Sry to bother everyone again. This one's less of a problem and more of a inconvenience I guess.

The resource name are not displaying properly in my game. It gives me the file name rather than just the resource in the slider bar. I can't get pictures to upload even after reading posts on the forum here. Any help is greatly appreciated! I hope this link to a pic works https://flic.kr/p/Y59Gtc 

Edited by Hipponugz
Inserted a link to picture

Thanks for the help RoverDude!  U mentioned localization so I started digging through the .cfg found the one I had in my localization folder was the wrong one. Thanks so much for the help. Sry I need my replies approved b4 u see them

Edited by Hipponugz

46 minutes ago, wenth said:

@RoverDude clarify for me please. when using a drill and it says say "mettalic ore=>water" that means its going to try to pull up mettalic ore AND water (but try to do so with a prefrence for mettalic ore) correct? so i can mine 2 materials with one drill head?

No, It will mine only mettalic ore. And if you click that button, you will swtich it into water mode, so it will mine only water.

All such buttons in MKS are meant for switch converters. From left to right as the arrow points.

Edited by Khalkion

I'm having a problem with Drills with the latest update (USI core 0.4.2.0).  The framerate for ships with any of the USI drills drops really badly; the drop seems to be proportional to the number of drills * the number of individual drill heads that the drill supports.  Stock drills are not affected by this at all and I have not found any other parts that are either.

In response to another post, you suggested a bad interaction with Kopernicus might be at the root of it and that deleting the settings.cfg might jar it loose.  I don't have Kopernicus installed and deleting the settings.cfg didn't help.

The problem is really easy to reproduce - go to the VAB, create a large fuel tank, then hang 8x Industrial Strip Miners off of the fuel tank and the framerate is crushed.

16 minutes ago, thesandbar said:

Why do MKS drills have 10x as much max cooling as the stock drills? The small MKS drills have a max cooling of 1000W and the medium ones have a max cooling of 2000W. The stock small has 100W and the stock medium has 200W.

Because they're super cool.

It might have something to do with the drills, maybe it has something to do with the reactor, maybe it's just the stock heat management system, but for some reason, this vessel has problems with heat. Upon time warping, the reactor's core heat immediately starts rising until everything shuts down. When I exit time warp, the reactor heat drops back to 1000. Can anyone help me with this?

https://pastebin.com/N8QsWReu

Current mod list, running latest versions of each:

rR6aUDB.png

2 hours ago, thesandbar said:

It might have something to do with the drills, maybe it has something to do with the reactor, maybe it's just the stock heat management system

The stock heat management system kinda sucks, especially during time warp.  I've had vessels explode after time warping because of it.

I observed this as well, but I think it is related to how time warp works. It changes, from physics simulation to a coarser style of simulation aka "on rails". So if you want to speed up your production, switch to KSC and time warp, or if you're testing a part before flying them through space, use physics time warp. The later is keeping the simulation of all physics, but can not run as fast as full time warp. You can use it by holding <ALT>+<key-for-timewarp-depending-on-your-keyboard-layout>

Edited by SchrottBot
typo

15 hours ago, thesandbar said:

It might have something to do with the drills, maybe it has something to do with the reactor, maybe it's just the stock heat management system, but for some reason, this vessel has problems with heat. Upon time warping, the reactor's core heat immediately starts rising until everything shuts down. When I exit time warp, the reactor heat drops back to 1000. Can anyone help me with this?

https://pastebin.com/N8QsWReu

Current mod list, running latest versions of each:

<schnip>

Drills in MKS are massive coolant hogs thanks to how they have to be configured to dispel excess heat produced by huge kolony bonuses raising the production. Try putting fixed radiators on reactors, processors etc. (as they only cool their parent and grandparent part so as long as they have no drills on the parent part their cooling is reserved for the part they are on and the parts attached to it) or using a Ranger Thermal Control System, which is specially designed to handle MKS drills.

Note the 'core heat transfer' stat is the max heat it can draw from a single part.

Edited by voicey99
wrong name

@RoverDude It looks like the drills do indeed reduce the framerate massively. After I added some drills to a stock vessel, the framerate on the launchpad went down from ~80 to 40 fps. Adding fuel tanks instead didn't affect the framerate in any way. Should I file a github issue?

Edited by sh1pman

5 hours ago, sh1pman said:

@RoverDude It looks like the drills do indeed reduce the framerate massively. After I added some drills to a stock vessel, the framerate on the launchpad went down from ~80 to 40 fps. Adding fuel tanks instead didn't affect the framerate in any way. Should I file a github issue?

Yes please - I'll take a look

On 8/26/2017 at 2:20 PM, thesandbar said:

This isn't a unique problem to the USI parts - anything that generates its own heat can get wonky in KSP.   Case in point, I have a ship that I've used for a long time with no problem, but I brought it out of a timewarp and a Hitchhiker module exploded due to excess heat - nevermind that the ship's (stock) drills had been shut down all night because of lack of solar power.  Fortunately, there's F5/F9.

The only answer I know of is spamming much more coolant than you should really need.  MKS drills make this a bit tough because, if I understand it correctly, heat is proportional to how much it drills, which varies depending on Engineers/Miners onboard and the Kolony's Geology rating, which can go up to 3x.  So a drill that posed no problems at the start of a colony is problematic after the colony matures.

9 hours ago, NermNermNerm said:

This isn't a unique problem to the USI parts - anything that generates its own heat can get wonky in KSP.   Case in point, I have a ship that I've used for a long time with no problem, but I brought it out of a timewarp and a Hitchhiker module exploded due to excess heat - nevermind that the ship's (stock) drills had been shut down all night because of lack of solar power.  Fortunately, there's F5/F9.

The only answer I know of is spamming much more coolant than you should really need.  MKS drills make this a bit tough because, if I understand it correctly, heat is proportional to how much it drills, which varies depending on Engineers/Miners onboard and the Kolony's Geology rating, which can go up to 3x.  So a drill that posed no problems at the start of a colony is problematic after the colony matures.

The problem with USI drills is that they have a massive max cooling stat to allow for rating bonuses, and they reserve this cooling from the radiator even if they're not using it which leads to a great many problems. The MEU-100 reserves 1GW of cooling, the MEU-500 2GW and the ISM a whopping 6GW. This is a huge draw on the radiators and means they don't have enough cooling capacity (note: 'core heat transfer' is the max amount of cooling that can be applied to one single part, 'max cooling' is the max amount of total cooling that one radiator can perform) for everything else.

´Hi, about the new Colony Inventory window, I think I'm reading it right, but some things just don't add up:

nuuo83au.png

Substrate, MetallicOre and Minerals are all on 0%, but in reality are at least at 11000 units. Other resources (like Gypsum, ExoticMinerals, RareMetals) are correctly displayed. The whole base is one part, so there's no resource containers in local range. BUT: There's 2 containers for MTO, MNR, SIL and SUB, one is empty (thanks to GPOFuelPump) and handles logistics, the other is the real storage. Take a look at Silicates, they're almost at 100% in the whole vessel, but the inventory display only seems to show the small (logistics) container and ignoring the bigger (storage) container.

Is that intentional behavior, only to count the logistics enabled containers (but then, Fertilizer isn't taking part in logistics, and is still shown)?

Mind I ask .. is ART getting merged into MKS now?

I'm asking cuz i seen the rock ressource output and don't know where to put that, except discard it (or sell it for funds :P), but if it will be merged then I really hope the asteroid manipulation is staying out of it (redirection missions will be .. well challanging!!).

If not then I hope we will have some proper usage for rock (except as weight for any Kerbal to drown in the ocean or w/e purpose).

regards

2 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

Mind I ask .. is ART getting merged into MKS now?

I'm asking cuz i seen the rock resource output and don't know where to put that, except discard it (or sell it for funds :P), but if it will be merged then I really hope the asteroid manipulation is staying out of it (redirection missions will be .. well challenging!!).

If not then I hope we will have some proper usage for rock (except as weight for any Kerbal to drown in the ocean or w/e purpose).

No, it's not as far as I know. I just had a look and when I submitted the PR to add Rock outputs I forgot to add the :NEEDS[ART] MM clause (oops, my bad). I'll get round to it one day.

Also, that feature was released in April. I'm surprised it's not been mentioned more.

To check if MM recognises [ART], do the drills have an option to mine Rock directly when you're not using ART (since I added the clause there)?