[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, ebigunso said:

Hmm, so if I don't find a corresponding counterpart of the old parts in the new install, I should assume it's gone for good?

If there's any part that survived, but doesn't have the same or a similar name to what it had before, I'd like to know.

I don't know if any got renamed, but a few (like the habring) got remodelled and retextured. but I couldn't tell you which ones they are as I never played that version. All the new parts have the same functionality as their old ones, but unified into 3 distinct partlines (Duna-basic stilted units, Ranger-(usually) inflatable ground-level parts and Tundra-cylindrical units that tend to be the best parts). If it had Mk in its name, assume it's gone unless you find otherwise.

Veteran Kerbal Rescues.....

In the Kolonization Settings (in the game difficulty selection screen) there is a check box for allowing for Kerbals when rescued to have some stars already. "May already have one or more stars" when rescued. (If I remember the Tool-Tip Correctly)

I recently enabled it and launched a game. Just now I launched a ship and completed 3 separate Kerbals missions rescuing 3 kerbals from Kerban Orbit on the same ship. (Ship had 3 empty seats and did 3 Rendezvouses.  But much to my surprise all 3 Kerbals had FOUR Stars... Ok. thats like rolling 3 dice and getting 3 fours on the first throw... It IS possible, but the odds would be 1/216.

So Did I get extremely lucky? or is there a bug making all kerbals rescued in the same ship the same level? Or all Kerbals rescued ARE 4 stars?

If they are supposed to be random level, is it Linear (equal chance of getting a 1 star as getting a 5 star) or Exponential (More likely to get a 1 star and rarely a 5 star)

Thanks,

BlackHat

Edited by BlackHat

40 minutes ago, BlackHat said:

So Did I get extremely lucky?

No, a run of three is pretty short odds (and there's actually 6 possibilities as no stars is also an option). 

I just had a look through the roster section of my current save for rescuees and they were: 2, 0, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 5, 3, 3, 1, 4, 2, 0, 5, 0, 2, 2, 4 after which I had a strong enough cash-flow to start hiring people rather than spending time rescuing them. So a run of four and a couple of runs of two. Perfectly expected for random events. Clumping is random. Never getting clumps would not be.

48 minutes ago, BlackHat said:

If they are supposed to be random level, is it Linear

It's linear - in the code:

var KLevel = rnd.Next(6);

I searched but didn't find it:

The thing is, you really don't want to get in a way of Karibou rover. Or more specifically, its wheels. What happens is, on a slightest touch with a wheel, a Kerbal goes ragdoll. And when it gets up, it's probably still within the collider, so ragdolls again. And again and again. I lost a good minute (few times) to escape from it. Aaand I missed great sunrise screenshot because of this :(

Tested on 1.2.2

whee. its been a few months since I last played. depression burnout fricken sucks. reloaded this. kas. kis. heavy lifters and one or two more. oh and EL.(I dont know if you can build ships in orbit without it or not) got  thru to mun landing and return. over fueled my wide lander so I got two good hops out of it. launched my return modual from the lander core ala apollo. tho its more a rocket pod with remote control assistance since I sent bob? the scientist. picked up 2k science to spend to unlock scanners . now time to probe the moons to find my first base. a question on pods. ehat would you send for the absolute core for a new base. using a salamander scout for the core?

1 hour ago, eonmoon said:

whee. its been a few months since I last played. depression burnout fricken sucks. reloaded this. kas. kis. heavy lifters and one or two more. oh and EL.(I dont know if you can build ships in orbit without it or not) got  thru to mun landing and return. over fueled my wide lander so I got two good hops out of it. launched my return modual from the lander core ala apollo. tho its more a rocket pod with remote control assistance since I sent bob? the scientist. picked up 2k science to spend to unlock scanners . now time to probe the moons to find my first base. a question on pods. ehat would you send for the absolute core for a new base. using a salamander scout for the core?

From what I can tell from that very confusing paragraph, you want to know what to put on a first core module for a base? Assuming you use USI-LS (as intended), it would be a kerbitat to provide habitation time, an agriculture module (or USI-LS greenhouse) to grow supplies, an agriculture support module (or mobile processing unit) to produce fertiliser, a drill to mine gypsum for fertiliser, a recycler to reduce supplies usage, a reactor or power pack for power and storage for supplies, fertiliser, gypsum and power. You may also wish to have a logistics module to enable interaction with planetary logistics (an MPU and unmanned log mod will push, but you require a manned log mod to pull).

If you don't use USI-LS, there isn't really anything you need for a first base (don't know about TAC).

56 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

...it would be a kerbitat to provide habitation time, an agriculture module (or USI-LS greenhouse) to grow supplies, an agriculture support module (or mobile processing unit) to produce fertiliser, a drill to mine gypsum for fertiliser, a recycler to reduce supplies usage, a reactor or power pack for power and storage for supplies, fertiliser, gypsum and power. You may also wish to have a logistics module to enable interaction with planetary logistics (an MPU and unmanned log mod will push, but you require a manned log mod to pull).

Great, succinct answer.  I believe that, as the USI mods intend, these don't need to be physically connected, just within a certain range, right? (physics range or 150m, or ?)

14 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Great, succinct answer.  I believe that, as the USI mods intend, these don't need to be physically connected, just within a certain range, right? (physics range or 150m, or ?)

Local logistics works within 150m, yes. To work it requires both vessels to have kontainers for each resource, and for one of them to have a requirement for or production surplus of it. For example, if a vessel has fertiliser and kerbitat with kerbals and the other has an agriculture module, when fertiliser levels on the agriculture vessel drop below 25% the agmodule will intiate a pull request for 25% of its capacity worth of fertiliser and pull that from the other vessel's kontainer, and when the supplies kontainer fills to 75% it initiates a push request that pushes 25% of its capacity to the other vessel. The kerbitat can also initiate its own pull requests for supplies when it is inhabited, as is is a resource consumer for them.

23 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

No, a run of three is pretty short odds (and there's actually 6 possibilities as no stars is also an option). 

I just had a look through the roster section of my current save for rescuees and they were: 2, 0, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 5, 3, 3, 1, 4, 2, 0, 5, 0, 2, 2, 4 after which I had a strong enough cash-flow to start hiring people rather than spending time rescuing them. So a run of four and a couple of runs of two. Perfectly expected for random events. Clumping is random. Never getting clumps would not be.

It's linear - in the code:

var KLevel = rnd.Next(6);

Ok Cool. I will leave it enabled. But I might change the random to 3 (allowing 0,1,2 stars) Getting three 4 star recruits when Jeb, Bill, Bob & Val have just attained 1 star seems overkill. :wink:

EDIT: Oops guess that variable is in the kolonytool.dll so I cant change it.

Edited by BlackHat

sorry for the ramble earlier. was laying down while very overtired. 3 days of roughly 4 hours of sleep makes for loose trains of thought. thanks for the I fo on what I should be going for with my innitial base. soon I shall rule the kerbin system... after I get some ships up there. 

oh and sooo thankful for kis/kas. had 2 kerbals spawn in viewing modules. bill grabbed em and bolted em to the sides of the recovery ship. well.first was the fromt. then the second had me slap em on the side of the ship.

really should snag that mod to prevent this... ohwell n.n

So I remember a while back seeing some prototype 3D renders of some geodesic dome structures that were going to be in a future MKS release.. this was about a year ago... I would absolutely love some *very large* kolonization structures.  As it is right now my stations and bases are relatively small compared to my starships that service them (I use KSPIE and have some 20,000 - 30,000 ton ships using 15m parts)... Is there any chance we will see any very large habitation structures (I assume to be built on-site) in the future of this mod?  Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, ss8913 said:

So I remember a while back seeing some prototype 3D renders of some geodesic dome structures that were going to be in a future MKS release.. this was about a year ago... I would absolutely love some *very large* kolonization structures.  As it is right now my stations and bases are relatively small compared to my starships that service them (I use KSPIE and have some 20,000 - 30,000 ton ships using 15m parts)... Is there any chance we will see any very large habitation structures (I assume to be built on-site) in the future of this mod?  Thanks in advance.

Look back a little over a week ago:

and

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yep, working on configs for the new base parts.  Have a concert this week in Brooklyn, but reserving most of this weekend for MKS modeling and streaming.

Nice, looking forward to it :)  will these be build-able through EPL or only through MKS Konstruction facilities?

heh.very nice. hmm  giant arc ship in space.. neat. current project is getting my base to the mun. I got everything needed to start making supplies . . still scouting minmus in the meantime if theres a better spot. as it stands I could set up a sifter on thr mun someplace and just bulk sift everything. the muns lowest item is water at 1.3%. surveying. I got some resorce at 26% in one spot where next highest is 8%. I think its dirt. and place im gonna drop my sifter

1 hour ago, eonmoon said:

I got some resorce at 26% in one spot where next highest is 8%. I think its dirt. and place im gonna drop my sifter

Generally speaking, Dirt will make up whatever portion of 100% that is not taken up by other resources.

I don't generally run many sifters(to low efficiency), but I do not think that anyone with even a single dirt drill is in danger of running out.  

I am generally much more concerned with water/gypsum for manned bases or metal ore/substrate/minerals for manufacturing bases/mining platforms 

19 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

This technically applies to any resource, @Terwin.  Dirt just happens to have a really high abundance rate.

I did not realize Dirt has an actual abundance value, I just figured that Dirt was used as a 'filler resource' for whatever fraction was left over after generating amounts for everything else.

(mostly because the amount of dirt in each region seems to vary so much more than any other single resource)  

18 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I did not realize Dirt has an actual abundance value, I just figured that Dirt was used as a 'filler resource' for whatever fraction was left over after generating amounts for everything else.

(mostly because the amount of dirt in each region seems to vary so much more than any other single resource)  

It has its own resource config in the CRP, with a 100% chance of being present in each biome between 20% and 50%. The output from sifters is dependent on planetary average abundance rates for everything else.