[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 minute ago, The-Doctor said:

If I physically kill them by dumping them overboard. But does it have the mechanics to make such a ship?

To step back a bit.. what is your personal definition of a generation ship from a gameplay standpoint?

Just now, RoverDude said:

To step back a bit.. what is your personal definition of a generation ship from a gameplay standpoint?

A ship that is near or 100% self sufficient, capable of reaching another star system to colonize and can birth new kerbals, ideally other kerbals age and die after a few years, maybe 60

The last part would be a life support consideration.

MKS supports Kerbal birth.  And you can get very high (never 100%) efficiency with life support.  

Just now, voicey99 said:

Was the mechanic whereby kerbals can breed if you leave two of them in a kerbitat for a while implemented in the end, or is it still indev?

it's been out for a while

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

The last part would be a life support consideration.

MKS supports Kerbal birth.  And you can get very high (never 100%) efficiency with life support.  

it's been out for a while

But no ageing and death? Also is the kerbitat? Small or large? The generational ship I wanna build is to have 2,200 Kerbals

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I think since before then - it's what the Kolonization modules did from day one.

That'll be why then, since I never added them as I thought they just froze hab timers.

7 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

The generational ship I wanna build is to have 2,200 Kerbals

No words. Kerbals don't die though. There might be a mod somewhere that does that, but not one I know of.

Edited by voicey99

4 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

But no ageing and death? Also is the kerbitat? Small or large? The generational ship I wanna build is to have 2,200 Kerbals

Aging/death are a life support concern, not an MKS concern (which technically doesn't even require life support).

And sounds like you are going to want the new 20m parts....  and a faster PC

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

And sounds like you are going to want the new 20m parts....

Speaking of the 20m parts, can they and their assets simply be transferred over to my 1.2.2 install or do they rely on some DLL component that was only added post-1.3?

8 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Speaking of the 20m parts, can they and their assets simply be transferred over to my 1.2.2 install or do they rely on some DLL component that was only added post-1.3?

Doubt they will work on something that old, give it a go though

8 minutes ago, reschke said:

Just logged an issue on Github for you @RoverDude. I am not able to see any of the MKS modules for bases other than the Scout Landing Module bottom section. I have only a few Ranger modules appearing but no Duna, MKS and Tundra modules are visible.

Need a lot more specifics.  KSP version, MKS version, USITools version, how you installed it, etc.

@RoverDude

This is meant more or less as FYI, but maybe this information could be helpful...
I think there will be no solution for my problem, but I at least wanted to ask... we already had the drill-performance topic and yes, 160 drills are not to consider.
But with the change from 1.3.0 to 1.3.1 the performance of my 16 drill ship dropped noticable for me. I assume that's a change in KSP itself, unfortunately.
My ship with 16 "Automated Industrial Strip Miners" changed its loading time from 1 minute to 4 minutes every time I switch to it.
This is the point where I need to stay away from 1.3.1 or trash my highly modded install. :(

Anyway, I made 2 comparisons with pure "Vanilla+MKS" only. "1.3.0 & 0.52.2.0" vs. "1.3.1 & 0.53.0".

I just took a Kerbodyne-S3 tank, added 16 "Automated Industrial Strip Miners", saved it and loaded it again.

The difference is 5 seconds vs. 23 seconds for the "overheatable evaluation".

[LOG 20:22:54.113] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:54.410] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:54.717] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:55.027] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:55.349] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:55.640] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:55.929] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:56.239] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:56.552] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:56.870] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:57.190] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:57.499] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:57.806] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:58.105] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:58.399] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:22:58.697] Found 12 overheatable modules

vs

[LOG 20:25:48.953] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:50.560] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:52.163] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:53.722] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:55.300] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:56.883] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:25:58.444] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:00.001] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:01.578] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:03.170] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:04.735] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:06.347] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:07.941] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:09.523] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:11.085] Found 12 overheatable modules
[LOG 20:26:12.658] Found 12 overheatable modules

This 1:4 ratio matches the ratio with my issue, also.
If you're working close with squad, maybe some of you will see, where the performance got lost. :)

BR
Jebs

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Aging/death are a life support concern, not an MKS concern (which technically doesn't even require life support).

And sounds like you are going to want the new 20m parts....  and a faster PC

My pc is fine for interstellar colonization, once I don't install too many mods 

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

No words. Kerbals don't die though. There might be a mod somewhere that does that, but not one I know of.

Heh. Maybe not yours, but mine die with distressing regularity, but just not from old age.

But now you got me thinking about it, I wouldn't think it would be too tough to code some mod that would keep track of a Kerbal's age, and then after so long plus or minus a few years "retire" them to tourist status, then after a few more years "retire" them permanently. I mean, it's kinda the responsible thing to do, since Roverdude already has them reproducing. :wink:

And before you tell me to, I'd love to code such a thing -- but my Kerbal Koding experience is limited to cutting and pasting at the moment, not to mention a time shortage. But I'd definitely use such a mod. Even without flying a generational ship (great project by the way) just having to watch out for the advancing age of your Kerbals would add an interesting extra twist to Kerbal management.

1 hour ago, Mandella said:

Heh. Maybe not yours, but mine die with distressing regularity, but just not from old age.

But now you got me thinking about it, I wouldn't think it would be too tough to code some mod that would keep track of a Kerbal's age, and then after so long plus or minus a few years "retire" them to tourist status, then after a few more years "retire" them permanently. I mean, it's kinda the responsible thing to do, since Roverdude already has them reproducing. :wink:

And before you tell me to, I'd love to code such a thing -- but my Kerbal Koding experience is limited to cutting and pasting at the moment, not to mention a time shortage. But I'd definitely use such a mod. Even without flying a generational ship (great project by the way) just having to watch out for the advancing age of your Kerbals would add an interesting extra twist to Kerbal management.

Now this is an interesting idea.

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Often when there is a feature someone wants, they end up making a mod for it.  Maybe modding is in your future :sticktongue:

1 minute ago, Das_Sheep said:

Now this is an interesting idea.

Interesting indeed, but it falls beyond the scope of MKS. Maybe it could become part of Kerbalism (it's brutal enough already, why not add an extra dimension to it?).

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Interesting indeed, but it falls beyond the scope of MKS. Maybe it could become part of Kerbalism (it's brutal enough already, why not add an extra dimension to it?).

It should be its own mod and able to easily coexist with any other LS mod, something like Kerbal Health which adds fitness and physical health management and works with any LS.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Kerbalism is easy due to my experience. The hard part is radiation and without deep freeze I fail at sending kerbals to Jool without death. I have yet to figure that part out, and I'm still learning the life support recycling mechanics but it's a nice mod, frustrating yes but if you got different installs like I do now, it's fun.

46 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Kerbalism is easy due to my experience. The hard part is radiation and without deep freeze I fail at sending kerbals to Jool without death. I have yet to figure that part out, and I'm still learning the life support recycling mechanics but it's a nice mod, frustrating yes but if you got different installs like I do now, it's fun.

And Kerbalism remains incompatible with MKS, so kinda a moot point for this thread :wink:

2 hours ago, voicey99 said:

(See above :D)