[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

9 hours ago, TheEnderman said:

Hello! I am thinking of getting started with this mod, and I have a few questions: Question 1: Is it Compatible with Snacks! Continued?

Question 2: Can I assemble one of these bases with KIS, like in MKS Lite?

No, it's not compatible with Snacks. You can absolutely assemble a base with KIS - you can use OSE Workshop to print individual parts and then bolt them on with KIS.

10 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

No, it's not compatible with Snacks. You can absolutely assemble a base with KIS - you can use OSE Workshop to print individual parts and then bolt them on with KIS.

To clarify, it's not going to break Snacks, but there is no support for it in the mod.

7 minutes ago, TheEnderman said:

One last thing: How can I make a patch for Snacks compatibility? (I have no knowledge of scripting anything) Or has someone already made one?

That's beyond the scope of us, but you have to have at least basic knowledge of how Module Manager works. Refer to here for MM information and here to see how Snacks works. How to balance it is also up to you.

Does it support 1.3.1? Im trying to load KSP and it just crashes, and then wont give me logs.

In the game, it shows me this error that B9PartSwitch is having, id take a a screenshot but it freezes my PC.

It says something about a "Metallic Ore Container" not existing.

It also has SSPX in the part name, so im guessing it has to do with Station Parts Expansion Redux.

Edited by TheEnderman

14 minutes ago, TheEnderman said:

Does it support 1.3.1? Im trying to load KSP and it just crashes, and then wont give me logs.

In the game, it shows me this error that B9PartSwitch is having, id take a a screenshot but it freezes my PC.

It says something about a "Metallic Ore Container" not existing.

It also has SSPX in the part name, so im guessing it has to do with Station Parts Expansion Redux.

1.  This is not a MKS problem. As you have identified yourself. 

2. KSP ALWAYS creates logs. It creates two logs every time you start the game. 

3. This is probably an install problem. You are going to have to either start from a fresh install and re-add your mods or scour your GameData folder to make sure everything is properly installed, i.e., there are no nested GameData folders or you have failed to install all dependencies. 

4. If you are using Kerbalism, stop using it or accept that using Kerbalism vastly limits what mods you can install. 

On 6/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, RoverDude said:

Tools for handling large bases, such as ground tethering and automated resource transfers for disconnected bases

One day I'll build a base with MKS :) , but for now is it possible to add only this functionality to stock installation? :confused:

Edited by brusura

6 minutes ago, TheEnderman said:

Yes, I know. Ill be looking into the install issue, but when i said logs I meant crash logs. For some reason there were no crash logs. Also, I am not using Kerbalism.

You can start by making sure CRP, B9 part switch and whatever version of SSP you are using are installed properly. 

50 minutes ago, TheEnderman said:

Ok. Whats CRP again?

Your SSPXr problem is likely that B9 Part Switch is throwing an exception at undefined resources. CRP is absolutely required for MKS and SSPXr to function.

I'd like to ask why you wish to use MKS and Snacks together? It's very curious and unusual. Neither MKS nor SSPXr are expected to work well when MKS and Snacks are used together. In fact, this combination could just be what's causing the problem.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 17/02/2018 at 2:47 AM, almagnus1 said:

Can I have a DIY kit that builds multiple DIY kits, or can I only assign a pattern to a DIY kit on Kerbin?

I recommend you ask over in the ground construction thread. See the discussion ongoing over there such as the following...

I'm trying to figure out how to recycle an old vehicle into parts that can be used to build something else.

As far as I can tell, there are two ways to disassemble something:

• Send an engineer on EVA over to the part, right click it and select "Disassemble Part". But this can only be done in order of attachment, one part at a time, which can get pretty tedious for larger ships.

• Drive or fly the vehicle into the K&K Recycler. If you're in space (which K&K Recycler is not really visually suited for), momentum will push the whole ship into the recycler. But if you're on the ground, unless you're going really really fast, it will only eat the front half. The back half will collapse onto the ground in front of the recycler and just stay there.

Either way, I was getting this message: "<X> units of MaterialKits were lost due to lack of recycle space". So I went digging around the CFG files.

That message comes from the USI mod for recyclable parts, here:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/blob/master/USITools/USITools/Logistics/USI_ModuleRecycleablePart.cs

It's looking for nearby vessels which have parts that have the "USI_ModuleRecycleBin" feature, and support the particular resource that it's trying to recycle (in this case "MaterialKits"). There are only two parts that I can find anywhere in any mod that do this: Ranger Workshop and Tundra Workshop.

So one of these has to be on a vessel nearby, but that's still not enough. These only have very small tanks, so they will fill up really quickly. Then you need to add something like the K&K MaterialKits Storage, which holds 2000. But that's still not enough, because it doesn't implement the "USI_ModuleRecycleBin" feature so it will be completely ignored.

The only way I found to work was to use a fuel balancer mod (TAC Fuel Balancer is pretty good) and set up the workshop so that Material Kits are flowing OUT. Anything that's put in there will automatically be transferred to the larger storage part.

But there is still a limitation. As long as the part (or ship) being recycled does not exceed the workshop limit (usually around 200) then you're ok. But if it does, then the recycled Material Kits will be lost before the workshop tank is emptied into the bigger tank.

Is this really the only way to make parts recycling work, or are there better solutions in other mods? I haven't found any yet.

I am running into an odd issue and I was wondering if any one else had experience with it.

My MKS nuclear reactors will overheat and cause parts of my vessel to explode if I have them in the physics bubble when time-warping over 100x.  (they are fine to run for days up to 100x with no appreciable heating other than the radiators, or when running months of catch-up, but as soon as I accelerate to 1000x the entire vessel starts turning yellow).

I suspect it is a mod conflict, but I already deleted the MKS reactors patch from the near future electrical patches folder, is there more than one?

GameData & versions:

Spoiler

E6ZRDSE.jpg  KSP: 1.3.1  MKS: 0.53.0  USI Core: 0.5.0  USI Tools: 0.10.1  NF Electrical: 0.9.8

It is mostly an annoyance when building large parts with OSE, so not that big of a deal, but I thought I would check to see if anyone else has encountered this.

Some things that may be related:

My MKS reactors seem to be at least partially ignoring my Thermal Control Systems, even when directly attached to the reactor(landed and activated).  With less than 1% usage they will quickly go over the ideal operating temperature without one or more attached radiator panels.  (I have 3-4 TCS on the main base that has been slowly upgraded to now have 6 3.5m reactors, but this was a problem with a single 1.25m reactor attached directly to a TCS but still needing a panel or two.  I also sent out a resource drone with one 3.5m reactor which has 4 large panels and a TCS but is slowly over-heating.  Colony bonus: ~350%)

Edited by Terwin
clarified catch-up and not background

Terwin, I've had some heating problems myself. I think it might have something to do with the maximum core heat of all parts on a vessel. Do you by any chance have MPUs or other parts that produce heat in excess of your reactors limits? I think radiators may always try to cool the hottest part first, even if they are under a safe limit and other cooler parts are above their safe limit. Also, I do not believe NFE reactors explode on excessive heat, I think they melt down and the core is destroyed, but the part remains intact, though I have not a great deal of experience with this.

2 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

Terwin, I've had some heating problems myself. I think it might have something to do with the maximum core heat of all parts on a vessel. Do you by any chance have MPUs or other parts that produce heat in excess of your reactors limits? I think radiators may always try to cool the hottest part first, even if they are under a safe limit and other cooler parts are above their safe limit. Also, I do not believe NFE reactors explode on excessive heat, I think they melt down and the core is destroyed, but the part remains intact, though I have not a great deal of experience with this.

I think I only had the one MPU on my large base(the one I switched to LFO and sent off with my resource drone), but if it is a general heating problem, would it not be reasonable to expect it to be present at all time-warp speeds, not just 1000+?  I can go for days at 100x with nothing but radiators being warm, but 1000x seems to start changing the heat levels of my entire base within a couple of hours.

I do not have any NFT reactors, and I removed the patch to make MKS reactors act like them, so ideally, NFT should not impact my system, I mostly listed it in case there is some additional conflict I am not aware of.

I ran into heating problems as well when I built a small automated miner. The only solution was to place the surface radiators directly on the reactor. My small miner even had a MKS TCS and it wasn’t enough to keep up with a 2.5 MPU, two small automated drills, and 2 .625 reactors. With the surface radiators (two on each reactor) I was able to add another 2 drills without issue.  I think the reason for this is that the surface radiators only absorb heat from the parent and grandparent parts and so other parts like mpus and drills can’t steal all of the heat transfer. I tried a lot of different solutions but it seems the reactors require surface radiators when there are other parts with high thermal requirements.

Edited by Tarheel1999

@TerwinThis is all from a known stock KSP 1.3.1 bug that every mod maker dealing with hot parts has been banging their heads against for months (and talking about in their threads). It's an issue with the core heat mechanic and it trying to assign something like 10x that specific kind of heat, and the physics engine works differently at different high time warps, so I can see it being fine at x100 then on fire at x1000. @Tarheel1999 has the right idea, adding radiators that only pull from the nearby parts directly onto the reactor will cause it to dump that excess heat into effectively the right place, and the bug won't overload the radiator.

Thanks @Krakatoa, I'll try spamming fixed radiators and see if that works.

Edit: about 50 radiators later(6 3m reactors needing 8 each and having a total of 10 to start with, plus a couple for each of the 4 modules with drills hanging off of them, plus a pair for the module between the drills and the reactors so the drills don't cause the reactors to shut down when coming out of time warp), and I can now safely go to 1000x without dangerous heating or losing reactor efficiency.(things start heating up at 10kx however)

I must admit I did not realize I needed > 20% radiator panels(base now has 271 parts), hopefully this issue will be fixed in 1.4.

Edited by Terwin
update