[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

This is normal.  The drills to *not* produce when not in focus.  (Nothing does...)  You need to visit them periodically - they'll do a catch-up as if they had produced the entire time you were away

Thanks, yes i knew the window information would not update, just did not realise the actuall store did not either. Ok, so that clears that one up.hmm, time for a rethink, guess ill try to build multiple drill types in one mine base where diferent ores can be mined in same location. Least it will cut down on the amount of drill heads to visit for updating stores.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

If you don't have enough battery to last the entire interval of the high timewarp, this could be the behavior - KSP could drain the batteries entirely before it calculates the PDU's transfers, leaving you out of power.  Try adding batteries.

I dont have any batteries on the units or solar panels, using big reactors only as i thought this would be bettery. Guess i was wrong and need to add big battery packs

Thanks for help..

On 09.03.2018 at 3:55 AM, goldenpsp said:

Probably as soon as someone who knows Russian wants to step up and help.  (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure @RoverDude doesn't know Russian but he likes pull requests).

AFAIK, USI MKS is not ready for ANY localization. When there will be tags in place of strings - I'll do russian.

2 hours ago, Dr. Jet said:

AFAIK, USI MKS is not ready for ANY localization. When there will be tags in place of strings - I'll do russian.

Regardless, whether it's converting strings into tags or doing the actual russian, I'm sure @RoverDude would appreciate the help and pull requests.

21 hours ago, Snark said:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!  :)

There's no way to host an image directly in the forum.  (It pretty much has to be that way, because image files are large, and if they allowed you to host the files here, multiplied by thousands of posts across thousands of users, they'd have to spend too much on server storage.)

However, it's very easy to "embed" an image in a post in the sense that it shows up directly in-line rather than as a hyperlink.  Just paste a link to the image and it will get automagically converted to an in-line image.

Step-by-step instructions in spoiler section.

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Take an in-game screenshot using F1.  It gets saved to the "Screenshots" folder of your KSP installation.
  2. Go to www.imgur.com.  (You don't need to make an account or anything, this works fine anonymously.)
    • Or you could use some other hosting site, if you like. I just suggest imgur.com because it's popular here and you can use it without needing to make an account.
  3. Click on the green "new post" button up top.
  4. Drag your image into the "drop image here" box that it pops up.
  5. As soon as the post is complete, right-click on the image on the imgur page and choose "Copy Image Location".
    • Important, not the URL of the page on Imgur.  You need the URL of the image, i.e. it should end in ".png".
  6. Paste that URL into your forum post here.  It'll get automagically converted into an in-line image.

On 3/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, DStaal said:

Do you have any notes on 'randomly'?  A common one I notice in my own games is 'shuts off on physics load', as ships are spawed a bit higher above the surface - so the drills didn't actually touch the ground.  Another common issue (also at physics load) is a temporary overheat - KSP's heating modeling is fairly - erm, let's go with 'simplistic' - at high physics warp, which is often applied during physics load.

Likely an install issue.  Can we see a screenshot of your GameData and UmbraSpaceIndustries folders?

I posted my screen shots there are 4 of them

16 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Do not put the ZIP in you GameData folder.  Extract the contents of the ZIP, and put the contents of the ZIP\GameData folder into your GameData folder.

I tried that and now the game crashes and will not open. I tried to put all MKS files in one game data folder, I tried with them all pulled out in the main folders and put in the game data folder.  This is so frustrating I love this mod I use to have it when it first came out and it worked great then KSP updated and updated and updated and now I cant get it to work at all. 

DYN1gN7.jpg

Does anyone know why I'm unable to extract rare metals? 

The ground has been scanned with both M700 and surface scanner(5.25%), the vehicle has enough power and radiators, as well as a correspond storage tank. However, I'm getting nothing even thought the drill displays a rate of 0.05/sec. What am I missing here?

22 minutes ago, Capt. Kirk said:

I tried that and now the game crashes and will not open. I tried to put all MKS files in one game data folder, I tried with them all pulled out in the main folders and put in the game data folder.  This is so frustrating I love this mod I use to have it when it first came out and it worked great then KSP updated and updated and updated and now I cant get it to work at all. 

Seriously... moving stuff around is not going to work... it's totally non-optional.   So let's roll back and confirm what version of KSP and what version of MKS and what version of USI Tools you are using.  You can find the MKS/USI Tools version numbers in the .version files.

Not to sound like a complete idiot here but well I am not the most smartest person when it comes to this computer stuff moving files or adding mods and that sort of thing.  Can someone please just show me with pictures of what the folders should look like with MKS installed properly so I can get back to building rockets to get me a base on another planet please and thank you.

11 minutes ago, Lymark1 said:

DYN1gN7.jpg

Does anyone know why I'm unable to extract rare metals? 

The ground has been scanned with both M700 and surface scanner(5.25%), the vehicle has enough power and radiators, as well as a correspond storage tank. However, I'm getting nothing even thought the drill displays a rate of 0.05/sec. What am I missing here?

Something is missing...  because you should not see all of those converters visible at once.

Same deal... KSP version, MKS version, USI Tools version.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Seriously... moving stuff around is not going to work... it's totally non-optional.   So let's roll back and confirm what version of KSP and what version of MKS and what version of USI Tools you are using.  You can find the MKS/USI Tools version numbers in the .version files.

I have the 1.4 update with KSP.   MKS 0.50.18.0.  USI tools 0.11.0.0

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Something is missing...  because you should not see all of those converters visible at once.

Same deal... KSP version, MKS version, USI Tools version.

Fixed it. Had to upgrade one of the mods.

Edited by Lymark1

10 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

That MKS is horribly out of date...  and not compatible with 1.4 - Get the 1.4 version of MKS from the catalog link in my signature

Ok I will get that now and let you know how it pans out.  What should I pull out of what folder from this new update?

I'm having some issues with the 1.3.1 update. Drills are basically non-functional, and I'm seeing some of what Lymark1 above posted. Here's a list of issues I noticed:

• I get an NRE from USITools.ModuleSwappableConverter.UpdateController any time I swap a drill bay. When I make swaps, I will get notifications like "Reconfiguration from Dirt to Dirt" which seem unrelated to what I clicked.
  • Anytime I change screens, I get a single NRE from USITools.ModuleSwappableConverter.ChangeMenu. No additional effect I have noticed.
  • When arriving on a new screen (Flight from VAB, VAB from Flight) some of my drill bays have changed from their previous setting to "???".  I see every converter type, the Active Seperator is "???", and an unrelated drill is clickable (Start Hydrates Drill, this was originally a Gypsum drill)
  • Swapping converters in-flight with an Engineer seems to have the same effect as above.
  • Drills can be activated before they are deployed, and seem to work okay. If you deploy them, they'll continue to work, but the converter buttons disappear when you retract the drill.
  • MPUs (all sizes) are causing NRE spam from USITools.ModuleSwappableConverter.FixedUpdate. This happens in the VAB in my new install as soon as I grab one onto my mouse pointer and ends when the part is deleted. Their bays show as "None". 

Here's some supporting docs:

I thought my issue might have something to do with migrating an old save, but I'm experiencing the issue with a fresh 1.3.1 install with only the latest Constellation and ExceptionDetector installed. 

KSP v1.3.1 MKS v0.53.1 USITools v0.10.2

Edited by Wiseman
imgur album borked.

4 hours ago, Wiseman said:

I'm having some issues with the 1.3.1 update. Drills are basically non-functional, and I'm seeing some of what Lymark1 above posted. Here's a list of issues I noticed: /snip

•  

Just going to add I am having exactly the same issues as you. I have tried reverting the game(though steam) and my mods(though ckan) to previous versions, updating it again to the latest version removing all extraplanetry launchpads mods then all USI mods and reinstalling (the USI ones) from the constellation link and updating  USI tools to 0.11.0.0 Also started a new sandbox for testing and only the smallest drills seemed to be in the inventory the stock (yellow) ore driller seems to work thought if that is relevant 

KSP 1.4.0.2077 MKS 0.54.0.0  USITools 0.11.0.0 at the moment 

26 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Aware of the issue, it is being sorted.

Had a question about Karbonite - I was going to do a couple more PRs with balance suggestions for the converters and intakes. My aim was to make it so that a Karbonite converter of a given size could process about the same mass per second of Karbonite as a stock converter of comparable size would process in Ore.

However, I wondered how energy dense Karbonite is supposed to be - if it's meant to be Liquid Rocket Magic (TM), then I'd make the converters output a little more LF/Ox per second to reflect the greater usefulness of Karbonite as a source material than Ore.

But if the idea is to make Karbonite much more attractive to use as rocket fuel with the included karbonite engines rather than turning it into LF/Ox, I would make the converters less mass efficient than stock stuff.

Not that you've got a load of free time at the moment, but if you give me some rough ideas (whenever), I can reflect them in the configs.

EDIT: Also noticed that Karbonite is 1/2 as dense as LF/Ox and 1/4 as dense as Ore, is it meant to be a fluffy solid or a really light liquid? Don't want to go mucking around too much when I'm not sure what the intention is. Meanwhile will send another PR for duplicate part names.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly
Density question

@AccidentalDisassembly from my perception, Karbonite is a more pure source material to derive LFO from than Ore is. Karbonite is entirely a combustible material and raw propellant, possibly a dense gas/light fluid as it is modeled on classic hydrocarbons and is available in crust, oceans, atmosphere and in the vacuum. Meanwhile Ore represents the majority component of a planet's surface and can be sifted for everything under the Sun. Its purity in this regard is reflected in its unit cost. I've heard on a few occasions that the resource is expensive, and this justifies it.

Karbonite has its appeal in that if there's enough of it in the atmosphere to feed a karbonite-breathing engine, the option becomes very attractive to skip converting it into other propellants and feed its engines directly. I have built cruiser planes, heavy lifters, VTOLs, even a mining base on/in an ocean that run just fine on Karbonite without converting it.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@AccidentalDisassembly from my perception, Karbonite is a more pure source material to derive LFO from than Ore is. Karbonite is entirely a combustible material and raw propellant, possibly a dense gas/light fluid as it is modeled on classic hydrocarbons and is available in crust, oceans, atmosphere and in the vacuum. Meanwhile Ore represents the majority component of a planet's surface and can be sifted for everything under the Sun. Its purity in this regard is reflected in its unit cost. I've heard on a few occasions that the resource is expensive, and this justifies it.

Karbonite has its appeal in that if there's enough of it in the atmosphere to feed a karbonite-breathing engine, the option becomes very attractive to skip converting it into other propellants and feed its engines directly. I have built cruiser planes, heavy lifters, VTOLs, even a mining base on/in an ocean that run just fine on Karbonite without converting it.

OK - that makes sense. I originally thought Karbonite might be intended to be some kind of really dense sludge given the sheer mass of Ka that can fit in a given volume when compared to LF/Ox -- Ka tanks hold 2.5x the mass per volume compared to LF/Ox tanks. But it's a result of very high unit capacities (super duper compression?), since it's 0.5x the density of LF/Ox... Hence my uncertainty.

In that case, I would imagine that converting Karbonite into LF/Ox would result in more LF/Ox from Karbonite than from Ore (per unit mass of the input materials). So 1 Kg of Karbonite would end up converting to something like 0.8Kg of LF/Ox (or whatever), while 1Kg of Ore might only produce 0.2Kg of LF/Ox. Random arbitrary numbers, just for the sake of argument, but seems plausible that the Ka to LF/Ox converters would be more efficient-ish from a mass standpoint.

I'm thinking then that:

1. The mass of 1u of Karbonite is 0.5x the mass of 1u of LF/Ox,
2. So as a first stab at balance... uh... 3u of Ka into 1u of LF/Ox, so 66% efficient from mass standpoint? Or 80%? or..?
3. And I'll have the converters process 1 Kg of Ka faster than they would process 1 Kg of Ore, since it's already a nice combustible product.
4. End goal being that drilling/refining Ka for fuel (either using it directly or converting to LF/Ox) should be preferable in some way, all else being equal, than drilling/refining Ore and converting it.

Sound plausible? Just trying to fix the seemingly arbitrary numbers in many Karbonite parts. Obviously RoverDude is free to reject any of this, just figured I'd try to go for some of the low-hanging balance fruit, so to speak. Atmospheric scoops could probably use some love in that respect as well...

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

@AccidentalDisassembly Sounds fine by me. In a recent update (I think CRP's final release the other day for 1.3.1) Silicon and another resource jumped to 10x their previous mass, and I rank into tank balancing issues when setting up tanks for it for another mod using B9PS and trying to avoid arbitrary numbers. I'll note that while Karbonite is a fuel, it also converts into other interesting things. The "Distiller" converters can produce LqdHydrogen, Oxygen, Oxidizer and Water due to its known composition name (KaO3).