[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

It's hard to say exactly what's going on from what you've posted above, but my guess is rounding errors due to small storage.  Physics catch-up is done in 6-hour blocks, and if you don't have the 6 hours of storage for every resource output/input, then things will overflow/shutdown (as appropriate) on the rest.  The fix is to add more storage - preferably in large containers, to help prevent rounding errors.

Addendum: if you're using Planetary Logistics then bring 12h of storage as kontainers fill/empty to 50% capacity and if you're using local logistics then 60h since LL transfers are limited to 10% of capacity per transfer.

Edited by voicey99

RD, also as a note the Industrial Drills do not show up either but the small drills do.  Glad to hear you are looking at the issue.  I will write a issue in Github when I get home tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Since we are doing newbie questions here let me add another: how do you do stuff with Lodes? Do I need to build a rover-miner with horizontally oriented drills to be able to stick said drills into the lode? Or how do I even determine what kind of a resource a lode contains? It just says ResourceLode as a resource.

23 minutes ago, AtilaElari said:

Since we are doing newbie questions here let me add another: how do you do stuff with Lodes? Do I need to build a rover-miner with horizontally oriented drills to be able to stick said drills into the lode? Or how do I even determine what kind of a resource a lode contains? It just says ResourceLode as a resource.

You grab them with a claw or attach them with a KAS connector, and use a sifter to process it. Like Dirt sifting, it will give you resources dependent on the planetary average of resources, except resource lodes are much richer than Dirt.

Just now, AtilaElari said:

I am confused again: in Life Support menu un-focused wessels seem to just run out of Electric Charge, regardless of how much they generate, or if they store more than 6 hours worth of EC.

That's because EC does not generate when not in focus... but it's also not consumed (a bit of hand-wavium).  As long as you have enough EC to sustain operations when you are in focus, you are fine.

1 minute ago, AtilaElari said:

I am confused again: in Life Support menu un-focused wessels seem to just run out of Electric Charge, regardless of how much they generate, or if they store more than 6 hours worth of EC.

Again: Nothing actually happens on ships not in physics range.  The USI-LS window just takes a snapshot of the ship the last it saw it, and counts down resources based on time.

Go back into physics range, everything recalculates, and you'll have EC again.  (Assuming you have generation.)

Got that, thanks. One more (hopefuly final) thing - life-support window doesn't show the actual time the supplies will last while being recycled by Nom-O-Matics, and the only way to see that is in VAB or to calculate it manually?

1 minute ago, AtilaElari said:

Got that, thanks. One more (hopefuly final) thing - life-support window doesn't show the actual time the supplies will last while being recycled by Nom-O-Matics, and the only way to see that is in VAB or to calculate it manually?

The life-support window should show the actual time with them considered - assuming you've activated them.  (Since they cost EC, they aren't activated at launch.)

3 minutes ago, AtilaElari said:

For me it shows the time Supplies would last without recycling, but as the time goes on this number does not change, as the Supplies are being replenished.

Ah, sorry - I read 'recycling', and figured you meant the recyclers, not the Nom-O-Matics.  Nom-O-Matics are *greenhouses*, and generate supplies (using Mulch and Fertilizer) instead of reducing supply usage (like the recycling modules).  The latter are reflected in the USI-LS screen, as I said, as they reduce the rate of change over time, and it extrapolates based on that.

Greenhouses, as converters, don't change the rate of change - they add a different rate, the rate of Mulch+Fertilizer -> Supplies.  As such they don't affect the rate of use of Supplies, which is what the Supplies window tracks.  (Though I'm vaguely remembering some of the more recent versions have a 'Fertilizer' line, which would show that - of course, that assumes you aren't mining or using one of the more complex chains to Supplies.)

Basically replenishment is not recycling, and needs to be thought about differently.  The window tracks recycling, but replenishment is more complex and the LS window doesn't track all the interactions that could change that.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, Gilph said:

We really should discuss the lack of a Machinery transfer mechanism. My old workarounds don't work anymore and the perform maintenance is no longer useful. I'm testing flying vessels and landing them with a smaller amount of Machinery, and then transferring from a vessel that manufactures Machinery, but it does not work.

Say I have 3 vessels all in range. Base 1 is a large manufacturing vessel that makes Machinery, and stores them in a USI_Warehouse tank, like a 1.25 tank that holds 600. Bases 2 and 3 have parts that consume Machinery that also has an extra USI_Warehouse tank. I want to manually move Machinery from the tank in Base 1 to the tank in Base 2, and there is no way to do that. If I could do that, I can then move it locally to the parts, or if I lock the Machinery level in the part, the part will consume the Machinery from the tank. I dont really want to perform maintenance anymore for a few reasons, not the least of which it takes it from random sources and not just the Base 1 tank.

Would you consider a screen in Logistics just for machinery transfer? It would not list the whole Machinery level/capacity of the vessel, just the USI_Warehouse tank level/capacity. So the levels of machinery in the parts themselves are ignored, preventing manufacturing issues. ATM, I am using save file editing and Hyperedit to move it, which is not ideal.

Thanks

I found a neat little workaround. To support logistics, every one of my vessels has a Tundra logistics module, which has 400 machinery for the recycler. Since I have other vessels in range with very good recyclers, i dont use the ones on the Logistics modules. So, I'll use them as Machinery tanks that are refillable by PM. Their Machinery storage is unlocked, and I'll lock all the others, and put my Engineer back into the workshop. The auto maintenance will fill the parts. It also works nice for my Ranger agroponics, which is less than 1% load on another vessel.

Just now, AtilaElari said:

This is in the 1.4 release of USI-LS, which counts each unit of Fertiliser as 11 Supplies. You can also get it in the final 1.3.1 Constellation release, but there are serious bugginess issues with it so get the third release down and replace MKS with the last fully working 1.3.1 version, 0.53.0.0, if you're willing to put in a bit of effort to get it.

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I will give it a try.

I see all USI mods are updated with latest releases 4 days ago. Already installed all. I am just curious as I see some are on ckan and others are not if they will ever be available there. The reason I ask are two: 1. It's easier to keep mods update 2. I "heard" some people talk about a boycott. I don't mean to rush, just curious to know if they will ever be there like in the past game versions. I dont mean MKS only but all USI mods.

Thank you.

Edited by Aspira

3 minutes ago, Aspira said:

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I will give it a try.

I see all USI mods are updated with latest releases 4 days ago. Already installed all. I am just curious as I see some are on ckan and others are not if they will ever be available there. The reason I ask are two: 1. It's easier to keep mods update 2. I "heard" some people talk about a boycott. I don't mean to rush, just curious to know if they will ever be there like in the past game versions. I dont mean MKS only but all USI mods.

Thank you.

The boycott was a while back.  The CKAN people were being a bit aggressive in adding things to CKAN, and not being helpful to modders.  There was a kerflufle, and a compromise was reached.  The boycott ended at with the CKAN admins giving the mod authors some more control.

I personally don't use CKAN, so I can't say from experience, but I believe most USI mods get to CKAN at this point.  If not, ask about specific mods (in their threads, if possible), and offer to help - but make sure RoverDude is aware of and approves of anything you do.  That said, I believe in most cases installing by hand and using KSP-AVC (currently semi-broken, but being worked on by LinuxGuruGamer) is the fastest way to be notified of updates.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, Gilph said:

True, but that is now a problem. Consider this.

Base2 has 4 AM modules making Organics. All 4 have a full level of Machinery to work at full speed. To keep them at full speed, I lock the Machinery storage. But it has to consume from somewhere. So, I add a USI_Warehouse tank, but it's empty. If I start conversion, it will complain there is no Machinery. I want to fill that tank with Machinery so it's consumed from that storage, not the part storage. How do I fill it? If I move Machinery from one of the parts to the tank, lock the tank, and PM the part, it just takes it from the tank, even though I locked it. There are other Machinery warehouse containers in range, but they are not being used for the transfer.

Now consider i have 5 of these bases, all with warehouse tanks that are partially full. If I PM a part, it will take from those tanks, and I really dont want that.

You can't drain from other sources because Machinery is programmed to be part-specific, meaning you cannot transfer it or use it from a Kontainer. The idea behind it is that Machinery in a Kontainer represents parts to repair your devices and Machinery in a device represents its durability, As it gets more wear&tear, the internal machinery gets damaged and slows up and needs maintenance, either by an EVA engineer or an engineer in a workshop. A module will not automagically draw machinery into itself and self-repair, as that would be unrealistic.

The daily maintenance on the workshop should be enough to keep your Agriculture Modules running at a good speed, 1 day's wear&tear won't affect production too much. Just keep an engineer in a workshop nearby and you'll be fine. To be on the safe side, you can just produce surplus Supplies and hook your Agriculture Modules via Kerbitrail into an anchor hub with some Redi-Paks.

44 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The boycott was a while back.  The CKAN people were being a bit aggressive in adding things to CKAN, and not being helpful to modders.  There was a kerflufle, and a compromise was reached.  The boycott ended at with the CKAN admins giving the mod authors some more control.

I personally don't use CKAN, so I can't say from experience, but I believe most USI mods get to CKAN at this point.  If not, ask about specific mods (in their threads, if possible), and offer to help - but make sure RoverDude is aware of and approves of anything you do.  That said, I believe in most cases installing by hand and using KSP-AVC (currently semi-broken, but being worked on by LinuxGuruGamer) is the fastest way to be notified of updates.

Thank you for your info, very helpful.

I can only see Sounding Rockets, USI tools, Alcubierre Warp Drive, USI Life Support, Community Category/Resource and Project Orion on CKAN, and this last one throw an error saying USI Core is not available.

Edited by Aspira

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

You can't drain from other sources because Machinery is programmed to be part-specific, meaning you cannot transfer it or use it from a Kontainer.

Machinery is transferrable by manual pumping.

10 minutes ago, TDplay said:

For some reason, when I try to put a craft into a DIY kit, it isn't doing anything. It's really annoying because I really need to put a rover in one.

That's to do with Ground Construction so if you don't get an answer here, re-ask in the GC thread.

Edited by voicey99

2 hours ago, TDplay said:

You can't drain from other sources because Machinery is programmed to be part-specific, meaning you cannot transfer it or use it from a Kontainer. The idea behind it is that Machinery in a Kontainer represents parts to repair your devices and Machinery in a device represents its durability, As it gets more wear&tear, the internal machinery gets damaged and slows up and needs maintenance, either by an EVA engineer or an engineer in a workshop. A module will not automagically draw machinery into itself and self-repair, as that would be unrealistic.

The daily maintenance on the workshop should be enough to keep your Agriculture Modules running at a good speed, 1 day's wear&tear won't affect production too much. Just keep an engineer in a workshop nearby and you'll be fine. To be on the safe side, you can just produce surplus Supplies and hook your Agriculture Modules via Kerbitrail into an anchor hub with some Redi-Paks.

While I understand the principle I disagree with it given the limitations of the engine.  You can't have an engineer simply go around in the background performing maintenance.

13 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

While I understand the principle I disagree with it given the limitations of the engine.  You can't have an engineer simply go around in the background performing maintenance.

Well, that's pretty much what happens if you stick said engineer inside a workshop - he/she will perform maintenance on nearby parts once per Kerbin day, this includes restocking Machinery, EnrichedUranium and removing DepletedUranium.

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

Well, that's pretty much what happens if you stick said engineer inside a workshop - he/she will perform maintenance on nearby parts once per Kerbin day, this includes restocking Machinery, EnrichedUranium and removing DepletedUranium.

So long as the workshop is in physics range it works.  In reality engineers would travel a lot farther than physics range to maintain their machinery.