[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

32 minutes ago, loverevolutionary said:

Any ideas? I can't get rid of either mod at this point without losing a whole bunch of base building.

Since the issues seem to be from NFE fighting with MKS over reactor mechanics, you can delete NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectricalUSIReactors.cfg to stop NFE from trying to convert the MKS reactors and restore them to their MKS way of operating.

So here's another issue. I want to create colony supplies, for which I need organics. The wiki says a Duna Agricultural module set on Agriculture(S) will take substrate, water, and fertilizer and create organics. When I set my Duna Agricultural module to Agriculture(s) and start the converter, it says "Missing Organics" and does nothing. But that is what the process is supposed to create! Checking on the colony inventory screen shows that this text is correct, no organics are being produced, and that I have water, fertilizer and substrate in abundance.

Switching to my polar base which has Tundra agricultural units rather than Duna class yields the same results, and on an unrelated note the Kraken flipped my construction ship and my very expensive nuclear plasma cruiser which were parked there, knocking off all the cooling so I am having a very frustrating day. Why would I need organics to produce organics?!?

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Since the issues seem to be from NFE fighting with MKS over reactor mechanics, you can delete NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectricalUSIReactors.cfg to stop NFE from trying to convert the MKS reactors and restore them to their MKS way of operating.

Thanks voicey99, I will try that. Is there also maybe a patch that will make Nertea's reactors and fuel/waste storage work with the MKS mechanic?

31 minutes ago, loverevolutionary said:

Thanks voicey99, I will try that. Is there also maybe a patch that will make Nertea's reactors and fuel/waste storage work with the MKS mechanic?

There's two NFE-MKS patches - one does the reactors, and the other does just that.

20 minutes ago, loverevolutionary said:

Quick question. I have a nuclear fuel processor. I have a ship with nuclear fuel tanks, for resupplying other nuclear reactors. It is docked with my processing base. I want to get my processed fuel from my processor into my nuclear fuel transfer ship. How do I do that? 

NFE includes a mechanic on its containers and adds it to MKS' as well (via a separate patch) so you can transfer materials between containers via the rightclick menus (requires 1-star Engineer for EnrU, 3-star for DepF).

Thanks voicey99, where can I find the right patches? This is my first time playing a modded game of Kerbal Space Program, I'm kind of new to all this. I poked around the NF and MKS github pages but I don't really know where to look. It sounds like what I'd like, engineers being able to transfer fuel and depleted fuel between reactors, containers, and processors with a click, if said reactors and processors are off and cool. I've now got a mishmash of MKS, K&K planetary bases, and NFE reactors, processors and containers scattered around a nice Urainite deposit on Minmus and I have been tearing my hair out this last week or so trying to figure out how to make any of it work.

Before I removed the patch you suggested, my MKS parts had the transfer buttons you describe, just like the K&K parts and the NFE parts still do. But none of them were or are working. Does MKS put some sort of blanket prohibition on waste and fuel transfers?

two things...

First, I've been playing KSP since forever. I've messed around with this mod before but always got to the point where it just seemed too complicated.  That all changed for me this week after reading the guides and wiki again for the hundredth time everything just kind of clicked for me... and now I'm just like holy crap this is awesome. :D:o 

Second, is that I'm building a base on Minmus. So I used scansat probes and a surface scanning module to locate a spot where all the basic resources are located within like a 200m radius. Landed some drills and storage modules at the correct spots.  But my substrate drill says that there's nothing to harvest even though the scanning says there is ~5% available.  Trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or what?

3 hours ago, loverevolutionary said:

So here's another issue. I want to create colony supplies, for which I need organics. The wiki says a Duna Agricultural module set on Agriculture(S) will take substrate, water, and fertilizer and create organics. When I set my Duna Agricultural module to Agriculture(s) and start the converter, it says "Missing Organics" and does nothing. But that is what the process is supposed to create! Checking on the colony inventory screen shows that this text is correct, no organics are being produced, and that I have water, fertilizer and substrate in abundance.

Switching to my polar base which has Tundra agricultural units rather than Duna class yields the same results, and on an unrelated note the Kraken flipped my construction ship and my very expensive nuclear plasma cruiser which were parked there, knocking off all the cooling so I am having a very frustrating day. Why would I need organics to produce organics?!?

Organics are unique in that they need a "seed stock".  Imagine Supplies as being basically growable algae, but organics being actual plants (and animals perhaps).  In order to start growing proper organics you need a small amount of organics to start with - to start, you hardly need any to get it going but you do need some.  Sorry, but sounds like you'll be sending a probe at the next transfer window but it's happened to me in the past - you're not alone!

4 hours ago, loverevolutionary said:

40 minutes ago, bigcalm said:

Organics are unique in that they need a "seed stock".  Imagine Supplies as being basically growable algae, but organics being actual plants (and animals perhaps).  In order to start growing proper organics you need a small amount of organics to start with - to start, you hardly need any to get it going but you do need some.  Sorry, but sounds like you'll be sending a probe at the next transfer window but it's happened to me in the past - you're not alone!

It used to be a bit worse ;)

In prior versions, Organics was also consumed as part of the conversion process. At some point, the formula changed and Organics are no longer an input. But, the requirement to have Organics in the AM is still there. In this case, you can think of the Organics functioning like Machinery. The AM requires both to be at max to run at 100%

I am having issues with the orbital logistics window. It worked at some point, but now whenever I try to bring up the gui it looks bugged.

It does not matter how I get to the window, from the alogistics module popup, or the kolony toolbar.

This is a link to the image showing the problem:

https://imgur.com/a/s2v46sW

This appears to be the relevant section of the output log, it repeats endlessly as long as the window is open:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at KolonyTools.OrbitalLogisticsGuiMain_Module.DrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at KolonyTools.Window.PreDrawWindowContents (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 (Filename: Line: -1) GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced) (Filename: Line: 504)

Edit:

Game version is 1.4.3.2152 (WindowsPlayer x64)

Installed mods list from gamedata is attached as text in spoiler:

Spoiler

05/01/2018  05:37 PM    <DIR>          .
05/01/2018  05:37 PM    <DIR>          ..
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          000_AT_Utils
04/28/2018  10:53 PM    <DIR>          000_Toolbar
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          000_USITools
04/28/2018  10:53 PM    <DIR>          001_ToolbarControl
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          B9_Aerospace_ProceduralWings
04/28/2018  10:53 PM    <DIR>          ClickThroughBlocker
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          CommunityCategoryKit
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          CommunityResourcePack
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          CommunityTechTree
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          ConfigurableContainers
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          EasyVesselSwitch
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          Firespitter
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          GroundConstruction
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          KAS
04/28/2018  10:23 PM    <DIR>          KIS
04/28/2018  10:24 PM    <DIR>          MechJeb2
05/01/2018  05:37 PM                 0 mods.txt
04/28/2018  10:23 PM           103,936 ModuleManager.3.0.6.dll
04/28/2018  10:53 PM         3,983,911 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
04/28/2018  10:53 PM           208,330 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
04/28/2018  10:53 PM             8,882 ModuleManager.Physics
04/28/2018  10:53 PM            67,350 ModuleManager.TechTree
04/28/2018  10:53 PM    <DIR>          Squad
04/28/2018  10:52 PM    <DIR>          SquadExpansion
04/28/2018  10:56 PM    <DIR>          StageRecovery
04/28/2018  11:02 PM             1,063 toolbar-settings.dat
04/28/2018  10:24 PM    <DIR>          UmbraSpaceIndustries
               7 File(s)      4,373,472 bytes
              22 Dir(s)  2,716,283,502,592 bytes free

Edited by draculthemad
insert additional information potentially useful

15 hours ago, loverevolutionary said:

Thanks voicey99, where can I find the right patches? This is my first time playing a modded game of Kerbal Space Program, I'm kind of new to all this. I poked around the NF and MKS github pages but I don't really know where to look. It sounds like what I'd like, engineers being able to transfer fuel and depleted fuel between reactors, containers, and processors with a click, if said reactors and processors are off and cool. I've now got a mishmash of MKS, K&K planetary bases, and NFE reactors, processors and containers scattered around a nice Urainite deposit on Minmus and I have been tearing my hair out this last week or so trying to figure out how to make any of it work.

Before I removed the patch you suggested, my MKS parts had the transfer buttons you describe, just like the K&K parts and the NFE parts still do. But none of them were or are working. Does MKS put some sort of blanket prohibition on waste and fuel transfers?

The patches all come with NFE. The way is just to click "transfer fuel" on any full radioactives container and then click on another to transfer it. As of 1.3 MKS does not interfere with that.

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

The patches all come with NFE. The way is just to click "transfer fuel" on any full radioactives container and then click on another to transfer it. As of 1.3 MKS does not interfere with that.

Then I guess I need to ask in the Near Future & the Planetary Bases forums because something is absolutely interfering with all fuel and waste transfer using those buttons. I have no way to transfer waste or fuel, routine maintenance doesn't work, and the fuel and waste transfer buttons don't work, for any processor, reactor, or container from any of those mods. Something is stepping on all three mods nuclear fuel systems. 

On 4/28/2018 at 4:07 PM, Redmanjbj said:

two things...

First, I've been playing KSP since forever. I've messed around with this mod before but always got to the point where it just seemed too complicated.  That all changed for me this week after reading the guides and wiki again for the hundredth time everything just kind of clicked for me... and now I'm just like holy crap this is awesome. :D:o 

Second, is that I'm building a base on Minmus. So I used scansat probes and a surface scanning module to locate a spot where all the basic resources are located within like a 200m radius. Landed some drills and storage modules at the correct spots.  But my substrate drill says that there's nothing to harvest even though the scanning says there is ~5% available.  Trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or what?

For any given vessel(including a connected base) it will only ever be in a single biome.  Wherever your center of mass is located is the biome for your entire vessel.  This is part of KSP and not something specific to the mod, so not much chance of it changing.

MKS supports disconnected bases, so that is one possible option, another option, is using the planetary warehouse.

This works by putting 'harvester' with a MPU or other logistic enable part and logistics enabled storage in a biome with resources you need(and a the drills to harvest it), and every time your storage gets above 50%, half of the resource in that container get moved to the 'planetary warehouse'.

You can withdraw from the planetary warehouse by having a Logistics module and a pilot on the same vessel as the logistics enabled storage you intend to fill from the PW.

Any time the storage container gets low, it should pull in from the planetary warehouse if any of that resource is available.

No crew is needed on the harvester, so those are usually a good opportunity to use the automated drills.  Just remember to jump to that vessel every now and again so that catch-up processing can add the harvested resources to the planetary warehouse.

Note: catch-up is done if 6 hour chunks, so if you have less than 12 hours of storage, you will not get as much of that material from catch-up as you would from watching it in time-warp.

Could someone help me out? As you can see here, I have a drill drilling for rare metals and exotic minerals. It's saying its making 0.075439/s and 0.043920/s respectively, but my resources never fill up. Am I being dumb here? Is there something I'm missing? The place I'm mining should have those two resources.

PYWkvDH.png?1

20 minutes ago, HippieGold said:

Could someone help me out? As you can see here, I have a drill drilling for rare metals and exotic minerals. It's saying its making 0.075439/s and 0.043920/s respectively, but my resources never fill up. Am I being dumb here? Is there something I'm missing? The place I'm mining should have those two resources.

Hard to say anything from that photo, since we can't actually see the miner - but if you are storing those in a Kontainer with logistics enabled, it's likely that it's being pushed to Planetary Storage - so you're unlikely to see it more than 50% full.

No worries - you can pull it back out either here or at another location, if you have the proper logistics set up.

23 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Hard to say anything from that photo, since we can't actually see the miner - but if you are storing those in a Kontainer with logistics enabled, it's likely that it's being pushed to Planetary Storage - so you're unlikely to see it more than 50% full.

No worries - you can pull it back out either here or at another location, if you have the proper logistics set up.

Def not that. The drills weren't producing anything at all (I hyper edited in resources just to see if PL was even working). Nothing is getting pushed into PL atm.

20 minutes ago, sstabeler said:

notice that there are two entries for RareMetals and ExoticMinerals? you need to press the Start RareMetals button and the Start ExoticMaterials button. Basically, the one drilling is the zero efficiency drill.

I pressed the start RareMetals and ExoticMaterials button but am still met with the same result. Can you enlighten me though about this zero efficiency problem? How do I increase efficiency from zero? I think that might be my problem.

Here's a full picture of the rig in light.

ZZAJGjh.png

42 minutes ago, HippieGold said:

Def not that. The drills weren't producing anything at all (I hyper edited in resources just to see if PL was even working). Nothing is getting pushed into PL atm.

1 hour ago, sstabeler said:

notice that there are two entries for RareMetals and ExoticMinerals? you need to press the Start RareMetals button and the Start ExoticMaterials button. Basically, the one drilling is the zero efficiency drill.

I pressed the start RareMetals and ExoticMaterials button but am still met with the same result. Can you enlighten me though about this zero efficiency problem? How do I increase efficiency from zero? I think that might be my problem. 

How's the Machinery levels on your drills?  What Kerbals do you have in that vessel, if any?  (Profession, and skill level.)

9 minutes ago, DStaal said:

How's the Machinery levels on your drills?  What Kerbals do you have in that vessel, if any?  (Profession, and skill level.)

My machinery level's zero...which I thought would explain it. But, then I hyper edited in machinery, and it's still zero efficiency. No kerbals on the vessel.

13 minutes ago, HippieGold said:

My machinery level's zero...which I thought would explain it. But, then I hyper edited in machinery, and it's still zero efficiency. No kerbals on the vessel.

Try putting an Engineer or a Miner in the vessel - that's not one of the 'automated' drills.

43 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Try putting an Engineer or a Miner in the vessel - that's not one of the 'automated' drills.

Having no crew member aboard gives you a 95% production penalty, but it shouldn't make it zero.

I'm having a cosmetic issue with all of the usi mods: the particle effects on all the rcs modules points in the wrong direction - opposite to the direction of thrust. It's also a very big effect, bigger than 5m at full thrust, and is just a fuzzy white teardrop shaped blob. Stock rcs effects are fine. Is it a known issue, or is it just happening to me? I do have my graphics settings down pretty low, but that wouldn't explain the direction issue. 

2 hours ago, Phil Noir said:

I'm having a cosmetic issue with all of the usi mods: the particle effects on all the rcs modules points in the wrong direction - opposite to the direction of thrust. It's also a very big effect, bigger than 5m at full thrust, and is just a fuzzy white teardrop shaped blob. Stock rcs effects are fine. Is it a known issue, or is it just happening to me? I do have my graphics settings down pretty low, but that wouldn't explain the direction issue. 

That was also reported in one of the other part mods, cant recall which one atm. They had to do a code update to fix, something to do with a change in 1.4.3

35 minutes ago, Gilph said:

That was also reported in one of the other part mods, cant recall which one atm. They had to do a code update to fix, something to do with a change in 1.4.3

I'm pretty sure I've been seeing it since I started using the USI constellation (which was just before 1.4) I think I saw something in an old USI exploration thread, but it was from years ago, and didn't seem to get a response. 

Roverdude.   The mks models are great but making them work as a station is maddening!!!!  I started out with the objective to have a 10 man ring and an inflatable hab and a science lab plus supporting modules.  I now have nearly every module I can stick on the thing to the point where if I try to add anything else the station shakes itself apart.  Yet I still cannot get the inflatable hab to change from aggroponic to habitat and the ring I cannot even expand because I apparently need 32002 material kits and 2870 ec!!!!  I carried 16000 material kits up to the station and the next time I went up to the station all the material kits were gone? 

I can't figure out how the hell anyone is supposed to be able to make a station it is nearly impossible to get all the material kits up there and then when I do they all just mysteriously disappear!!!

Is there a frigging manual or examples or a Doctoral program at MIT for learning how to use this damn mod?

Edited by ctbram