[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hey friends, 

Just a basic question: I'm setting up a mining Outpost on minmus and want to use a nuclear reactor to power it. The area has abundant uraninite (~12%), so drilling large quantities is not difficult. I can't figure out how to turn it into enriched uranium, though. I've googled it, and apparently in the past you would use an mks science module, but that doesn't exist anymore. Any hints?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Minit said:

Hey friends, 

Just a basic question: I'm setting up a mining Outpost on minmus and want to use a nuclear reactor to power it. The area has abundant uraninite (~12%), so drilling large quantities is not difficult. I can't figure out how to turn it into enriched uranium, though. I've googled it, and apparently in the past you would use an mks science module, but that doesn't exist anymore. Any hints?

Thanks

I believe the part you want is the nuclear fuel plant:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Parts-(Tundra-Series)#mks-tundra-nuclear-fuel-plant

This will both reprocess spent fuel and process urinite ore.

Hi everyone, i want to ask a quick question. Is it safe to install MKS on current KSP version (1.4.4.2215)? Because AVC shows that AT Utils and Ground Construction Core dependencies are incompatible, and i'm a bit paranoid to test it.

10 hours ago, revan1611 said:

Hi everyone, i want to ask a quick question. Is it safe to install MKS on current KSP version (1.4.4.2215)? Because AVC shows that AT Utils and Ground Construction Core dependencies are incompatible, and i'm a bit paranoid to test it.

Been running it without issue.  I have not actually used any DIY kits though.

Is it possible to get everything that's needed via asteroids if ART is installed?

11 hours ago, Requia said:

Is it possible to get everything that's needed via asteroids if ART is installed?

Ok found the configs for asteroids, and everything has some possibility of being present.  ART isn't strictly needed (community resource pack does it), but does make asteroids nice and fat.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:23 AM, revan1611 said:

Everything except DIY kits. The DIY kit part could be selected in the VAB, but trying to pick a ship to put in it did nothing. I didn't have any DIY kits in flight so I don't know if they break.

Manually upgrading Ground Construction to the new version 2 didn't seem to break anything in MKS and lets selecting a design in a DIY kit work, but I haven't tested it farther than that. It should be updated in the next MKS release, RoverDude already accepted a patch from allista.

51 minutes ago, Johould said:

Everything except DIY kits. The DIY kit part could be selected in the VAB, but trying to pick a ship to put in it did nothing. I didn't have any DIY kits in flight so I don't know if they break.

Manually upgrading Ground Construction to the new version 2 didn't seem to break anything in MKS and lets selecting a design in a DIY kit work, but I haven't tested it farther than that. It should be updated in the next MKS release, RoverDude already accepted a patch from allista.

Awesome! I'll wait for update then :D

Two silly questions.

Some of the larger colonization parts show up in the VAB but I cannot do anything with them. It says something like, ”additional purchase in r&d required”. I've paid the unlock cost.

Also, what's the best way to stay up to date on constellation updates?

18 hours ago, The_Joe said:

Also, what's the best way to stay up to date on constellation updates?

The Constellation is only updated every so often when all the constituent mods are synchronised and updated, the purpose being that it is a stable modset. If you want to update the Constellation, you can swap out mods individually though this could lose stability or wait and replace it with the next one.

Edited by voicey99

I'm well aware of the dangers of asking about CKAN in this thread, but I asked this over there already.

In CKAN, MKS is showing as not install-able for 1.4.4. 

EkJBgua.jpg

I asked in the CKAN thread and they pointed out that MKS is listed as depending on Ground Construction Core, which hasn't been listed as being compatible with 1.4.4 yet.

j9LdnTe.png

Is this an oversite, or is this intentional and will be updated when the modders have time?

29 minutes ago, tsaven said:

I'm well aware of the dangers of asking about CKAN in this thread, but I asked this over there already.

In CKAN, MKS is showing as not install-able for 1.4.4. 

EkJBgua.jpg

I asked in the CKAN thread and they pointed out that MKS is listed as depending on Ground Construction Core, which hasn't been listed as being compatible with 1.4.4 yet.

j9LdnTe.png

Is this an oversite, or is this intentional and will be updated when the modders have time?

For what it's worth I have set my CKAN to allow any 1.4 mod which allows this dependency to be installed. My game doesn't crash any more frequently than it used to (ie. it usually dies after a few hours either way) with Ground Construction installed :-) I haven't used any of the ground construction functionality though, but I have used a *lot* of the other MKS bits.

13 minutes ago, r1chardj0n3s said:

For what it's worth I have set my CKAN to allow any 1.4 mod which allows this dependency to be installed. My game doesn't crash any more frequently than it used to (ie. it usually dies after a few hours either way) with Ground Construction installed :-) I haven't used any of the ground construction functionality though, but I have used a *lot* of the other MKS bits.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.

5 hours ago, tsaven said:

6 hours ago, r1chardj0n3s said:

But, how?

Edited by The_Joe

Hello @RoverDude,

Sorry if this has been asked historically but, whenever I do a forum search here a ton of crap shows up that is not at all what I am looking for.....so I tend not to bother and I do not have the time to read 303 pages of this particular thread to find the answer.

Will there ever be a "LITE" version of this mod that IS basically a parts pack?

I like KSP and I like mods with extra stuff, and the stuff in this mod looks pretty useful.....but I don't believe I will ever have the patience to do the things in KSP with the added trauma of life support to deal with as well. For me getting crap into space or to another planet is hard enough. I can't be bothered to worry about air, food, water, and happiness too.....

Thanks for your time!

JoE Smash

7 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

Hello @RoverDude,

Sorry if this has been asked historically but, whenever I do a forum search here a ton of crap shows up that is not at all what I am looking for.....so I tend not to bother and I do not have the time to read 303 pages of this particular thread to find the answer.

Will there ever be a "LITE" version of this mod that IS basically a parts pack?

I like KSP and I like mods with extra stuff, and the stuff in this mod looks pretty useful.....but I don't believe I will ever have the patience to do the things in KSP with the added trauma of life support to deal with as well. For me getting crap into space or to another planet is hard enough. I can't be bothered to worry about air, food, water, and happiness too.....

Thanks for your time!

JoE Smash

Don't install USI Life Support and you're good to go. USI mods are modular enough to suite anyone's taste.

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Machinery normally wears out so you either need to make more or resupply.  Turning this off makes the mod a lot simpler.

Thanks for the explanation! Good stuff....

Thank you for making the game and these mods, and keeping your things functional!

I'm designing an unmanned LFO factory and wondering if there is any point to using the MPU's LFO converter. (I know about including one to push to planetary logistics).

All this sizes of MPU all have the same Ore->LFO conversion ratio ("economic efficiency" on the MKS wiki) as the Mini ISRU and take 10x more EC to do, while the full size stock ISRU produces 10x more LFO from a given amount of ore, and even unmanned at 5% load it can product LFO faster than the biggest MPU at 100% load. Is MKS be used with a patch nerfing the stock ISRU? Is the MPU mostly meant to be used for the other converters? Do the MPUs catch up with high Kolonization Bonus?

I also noticed that drills all seem to show incorrect EC usage in the VAB - it looks like the actual amount it uses at 100% is further (and incorrectly) multiplied by the "efficiency factor", which seems to only actually affect how much ore is produced at 100% load and not actually change output. Is that actually a bug, or a stock bug?

Edited by Johould

MKS balances against itself vs. stock, nor do I change stock.  Also note that MPUs have a different capability set than stock ISRU.  Efficiency also dramatically increases with kolonization bonuses.

I'd need more details and an example RE the drills.

Ok, so basically go with the dedicated ISRU part for LFO production at low kolonization bonus. I'm mostly surprised the larger stock ISRU turns 1kg ore into 1kg LFO when everything else needs 10kg ore per 1kg LFO. The USI wiki claims the MPU also converts 100% of the mass of Ore into LFO.

About the drills, the "'Drill-O-Matic' Strip Miner" info in the VAB shows a pane for drilling

Resource Harvester
Surface Harvester

(Planetary use - 800% base efficiency)
Max Inputs:
- Electric Charge: 960/sec
Max Outputs:
- Ore: 8.00/s

But the actual EC consumption at 100% load, independent of the ore richness, is 120 EC/sec (which is also the number in the data file). 960=8*120.

The stock Drill-O-Matic lists 150% base efficiency, 22.5 EC/s and max output 1.5 ore/s, but actually takes 15 EC/s at 100% load (22.5 = 1.5*15).