[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Quick question, is the disassemble-into-Matkits function strictly MKS or is it also somehow integrated into USI-Core? (And is there a way of exposing it without MKS installed, or it really is a strict MKS function?) I mean, admittedly I might not yet be into running an MKS game, but for purposes of cleanup (and admittedly having Ground Construction installed independently) it would be nice to poof stray parts. But again, if the intent is to keep it exclusive in MKS, I understand.

Sure it's an MKS thing, but all you need for it is the USITools DLL and the ScrapParts.cfg patch (found in UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches).

I am using the Tundra Habitation Ring, but there are no lights (when I put the Kerbals in there, they are just in the dark).

Not groundbreaking, everything else seems to work perfectly, but wondering if I am missing something?  I have searched everywhere, but have not found this mentioned anywhere.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, XoPhyte said:

I am using the Tundra Habitation Ring, but there are no lights (when I put the Kerbals in there, they are just in the dark).

Not groundbreaking, everything else seems to work perfectly, but wondering if I am missing something?  I have searched everywhere, but have not found this mentioned anywhere.  Thanks.

There isn't an IVA for that part - so you won't see anything.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:57 PM, RoverDude said:

@RookFett - Screenie please with the PAW locked.

I've been playing around with this and found that if I use the Duna logistics with a logistics kontainer (or redi-pack) attached, it will scavenge.

I couldn't get the kerbitat as shown on the wiki to scavenge - unless it was hooked up to the logistics , and a logistics container hooked up.

@RoverDude

I did some more testing - I found that I could only get power to my Duna modules if I put a microwave transceiver on them - even though they say they have a power coupler installed.  They state in  he PAW that there are no PDU's in range, but I have 3 sitting next to them.

The transceiver will show the count of PDU's as I add them.

I also noticed as soon as I added the microwave transceiver, I suddenly was able to scavenge supplies from local warehouses (where I wasn't before).  When I removed the microwave transceiver, and removed the supplies, they didn't re-scavenge.  (and of course, the power dropped)

All Duna modules were able to work (get power/supplies by scavenging) once I added the transceiver - but the wiki doesn't say you have to do that. 

Hi all,

Just coming back to KSP after a long time away. Just wanted to ask if MKS is compatible with  KSP 1.5.1? Anything I need to do? On CKAN it shows up as out of date and compatible with up to  KSP 1.4.9. I've looked through this thread and google to find an answer, but am a bit lost in the threads. I know I can force install through CKAN. Just wondering if I can expect any game breaking issues.

Also, I have TAC LS installed (which is updated). If MKS is usable, will it also play well with TAC LS?  (Extraplanetary launchpads installed too)

Thanks!

Hello,

While trying to build a base in 1.4.3, I've experienced a bug impacting multiple workshop set to boost an assembly plant. I was told it was an issue with how the bay system works so I've waited for it to be redone. I have installed the last Constellation pack on ksp 1.5.1 with the converter update, did some test and it seems the bug is still present . The amount of Mk produced by the boosted assembly line seems absurdly low https://imgur.com/gallery/QXM1KcN

Ps: btw there are a lot of mods on the screenshot but i've tested it on a clean install with a new save and it still happens.

On 12/13/2018 at 9:35 PM, RookFett said:

I found that I could only get power to my Duna modules if I put a microwave transceiver on them - even though they say they have a power coupler installed.  They state in  he PAW that there are no PDU's in range, but I have 3 sitting next to them.

The PDUs require a Kerbal with the ConverterSkill (so either an Engineer or Technician) in order to distribute power. Same goes for the Power Coupler. The Microwave Power Transceiver does not have this limitation.

3 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

The PDUs require a Kerbal with the ConverterSkill (so either an Engineer or Technician) in order to distribute power. Same goes for the Power Coupler. The Microwave Power Transceiver does not have this limitation.

Yep - I had engineers in them - they still didn't send out the juice or receive it till I placed the MPT on it.  (ironically using the engineer and KAS).  Same goes with the scavenging - didn't happen till the MPT was attached - not sure what is going on. 

I opened an issue on the github repo - and included a link to the save game (MKS/Stock) - I was trying to replicate what is shown on the wiki here - https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)  -

I used the same setups they show and can't get it to work.

Working now on the refinery example - will report back what I find.

38 minutes ago, RookFett said:

Yep - I had engineers in them - they still didn't send out the juice or receive it till I placed the MPT on it.  (ironically using the engineer and KAS).  Same goes with the scavenging - didn't happen till the MPT was attached - not sure what is going on. 

I opened an issue on the github repo - and included a link to the save game (MKS/Stock)

I downloaded your save files from GitHub and was not able to reproduce the issue. I removed the microwave transceivers from the Kerbitats and they still showed 3 PDUs in range in the PAW. I launched new vessels on the runway with empty batteries and kontainers and they immediately started scavenged from the other vessels. So this sounds like an issue with your install. Might be another mod that's interfering.

Well - either I am doing something wrong or something else is going on and I can't figure this out - but when I tried to scavenge local minerals from a miner to make a  chemical refinery work, it doesn't pull them.

This is the refinery:

bbCK9py.png

Right next to it is the miner:

D56RhLy.png

I fill the miner up with minerals - but the refinery, while trying to run it - will not pull them.

bJm1tk4.png

If i drop a full mineral kontainer by it - it will not pull.   However, if I drop a supplies kontainer - it will pull and feed the kerbals.

So - am I missing something or ?

here is a link to my save games of this - with the ships (stock and MKS/USI) - if anyone wants to look at them and perhaps point me to the right direction?

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/files/2683256/Mining.Test.Alpha.zip

and this is my game save of the other issue - wont pull supplies from each module unless I place a Microwave transceiver on them.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/files/2683257/default.zip

any help would be appreciated :)

11 minutes ago, DoktorKrogg said:

I downloaded your save files from GitHub and was not able to reproduce the issue. I removed the microwave transceivers from the Kerbitats and they still showed 3 PDUs in range in the PAW. I launched new vessels on the runway with empty batteries and kontainers and they immediately started scavenged from the other vessels. So this sounds like an issue with your install. Might be another mod that's interfering.

No other mods installed - and this is fresh install of KSP.

Let me try doing it again - perhaps something is not right with KSP/MKS install -

thanks for trying out the save - pulling out my hairs here :)

Edited by RookFett

5 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

@RookFett I found the problem and submitted a fix. I noted it on your GitHub issue as well.

Really?  Great!   I was up late last night after your post saying it was working for you - uninstalling, re-installing - I couldn't get the saves to work on my three different computers - so I was going to post my results when I woke up :) - you must of posted right after I gave up...

Thanks again for sticking with this!   I edited that file with your fix and it works as advertised.

Now I can continue on my testing before my career game using MKS/USI-LS.

Love this mod and the users around it - really glad to have found this place...

I've been having an issue for sometime with some functions of the Duna modules turning off when I switch focus.  Some (but not all) part options are turned off when I reload the scene - recyclers, habitats etc.  It seems a bit random so hard to pin down the root cause.  Before I go through a lengthy diagnosis to strip out mods and get a sensible set of logs, am I missing something obvious?  Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere already, thread search didn't highlight anything telling.

6 hours ago, Friznit said:

Before I go through a lengthy diagnosis to strip out mods and get a sensible set of logs, am I missing something obvious?  Forgive me if this is answered elsewhere already, thread search didn't highlight anything telling.

One common cause of this can be a combination of insufficient power generation and storage, and the way the game's catch up mechanics work. A vessel (or base) is not simulated when not within focus distance of the current vessel. When you return ti the vessel, the game does accelerated simulation of the vessel in, I believe, 6hr chunks until it is current. Again I believe, it does this using the current conditions of the vessel when you return to it.

If you rely heavily on solar power, and have insufficient battery storage, then its possible if you return to the vessel at night or while the sun is occluded, then when the game does its catch up it will be doing so with minimal power generation. That could lead to the parts running out of power and turning off.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:39 PM, liTWave said:

Hi all,

Just coming back to KSP after a long time away. Just wanted to ask if MKS is compatible with  KSP 1.5.1? Anything I need to do? On CKAN it shows up as out of date and compatible with up to  KSP 1.4.9. I've looked through this thread and google to find an answer, but am a bit lost in the threads. I know I can force install through CKAN. Just wondering if I can expect any game breaking issues.

Also, I have TAC LS installed (which is updated). If MKS is usable, will it also play well with TAC LS?  (Extraplanetary launchpads installed too)

Thanks!

From a little testing, MKS appears to work. However I've not yet tested it with extraplanetary colonies, so don't take my word for it.

Unsure about TAC-LS support, because I use USI-LS myself.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@liTWave - MKS is 1.5.x compatible 

Thank you!

I had a game already with TAC-LS installed and installed the constellation.

Now have both LS mods installed and ships with TAC parts that will disappear if I remove it. Any suggestions on how to deal with my double LS mod issue welcome :)

Tried removing "lifesupport" folder from game data, but result was a ton of crashes, errors and target ship literally disappearing while docking.

3 minutes ago, liTWave said:

Thank you!

I had a game already with TAC-LS installed and installed the constellation.

Now have both LS mods installed and ships with TAC parts that will disappear if I remove it. Any suggestions on how to deal with my double LS mod issue welcome :)

Tried removing "lifesupport" folder from game data, but result was a ton of crashes, errors and target ship literally disappearing while docking.

MKS should work fine without USI-LS. You removed GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport (and only that folder)?

36 minutes ago, TDplay said:

MKS should work fine without USI-LS. You removed GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport (and only that folder)?

Yes, I only removed that.

But have various mods installed, could be the issue came from there, or from elsewhere and it's coincidence.

5 hours ago, TDplay said:

Hmm. I identified another possible other source of my issue.

I have Kerbalism installed.

How does Kerbalism play with MKS?

49 minutes ago, liTWave said:

Hmm. I identified another possible other source of my issue.

I have Kerbalism installed.

How does Kerbalism play with MKS?

As noted - Kerbalism is pretty hard-core incompatible with MKS.  It overrides stock modules (rant time - stock overrides need to be opt-in, not mess with other people's stuff that leverages stock).  So even if I did not have my own LS mod, I would never recommend Kerbalism for that reason.

Well after 7 or so days of reading this entire thread (on and off, between testing)  - and making 85 pages of notes, I can safely say I am confident enough that I can make the most out of MKS/USI to make everything work together.

Or maybe not :)  but that is what having a proper testing program setup next to the KSC runway is for - test the stuff, make notes, make it happen, before doing it in actual play.

Some things I noted after going through this thread:

1. Kerbalism is being used and asked about every 10th page or so - my maths may be off though - after the 10th or so request, some even on the same/next page, I just sped past them - your experience may vary.
  2. EL vs GC - that came up a lot.  Did the same thing as 1.
  3. Some users do not want to practice the stuff outside of KSC - for testing.  I have Top Kerbals working on various MKS/USI setups right now.  (who?)  Top...  Kerbals...   (For some reason peeps don't want to use Sandbox, it's there for a reason!  and HyperEdit - great tool to test in simulation vs reality (or the matrix))
  4. I really need to learn Module Manager - I think I would of caught that error @DoktorFrogg found in the AddConsumer.cfg file in the issue I had above - I spent hours trying to make it work and I was actually looking at that file in particular - but since I didn't know the MM lingo - looked OK to me :P - results of my testing are in the last few pages above - sort of compulsive to make things work like the manual says there suppose to.  (but did this get me to make a github account, and a imgur account - so all good )
  5. This is a complex mod - but once you get the basics down, it just scales up.  LEARN the BASICS first if you wish to succeed using this mod. -- Read the descriptions in VAB/SPH, plan, make, execute.  To many peeps were trying to land a self-sustaining base on Duna from the git go - in one launch, for their very first attempt to use MKS/USI
  6. The Artwork @RoverDude showed off in here (the Osprey, Domes, etc..) is making me wish they were in game right now - the future looks bright for this mod with the dedicated fans and makers.  All Praise them!
  7. Watching Roverdude's streams is now motivating me to mod for this game - he makes it look so easy - now I need to brush off my skill set, and use the various programs I have to make it happen. (RD also killed a lot of kerbals in his playthroughs, so don't use those for reference playing KSP :huh: ....)
  8. <Danger Will Robinson>     If you need help with this mod: Please confirm what versions you are on.  KSP, MKS, USI Tools.
  9. All in all - this is a pretty awesome mod and I look forward to using it from this point forward.

Edited by RookFett