[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Duna recyclers turning off is a known issue though I don't know if anyone has managed to figure out the cause yet.  In the meantime a workaround is to add the Recyclers to an action menu item and use something like Smart Parts to periodically turn them back on.

I've noticed with things like the Agri and Hab modules that they sometimes show all configuration options when they are first deployed, regardless of which setting you preconfigured in the VAB.  However, only the pre-selected option will stay on after reloading the scene; the others will have turned off.

I'm having weird heat issues with a 1.25m reactor at my Mun base which is supplying power to MPU's and drills on its own vessel as well as several other vessels via microwave power transmitter. Specifically, when I time warp, the reactor gets random spikes of massive amounts of heat (many thousands of K) which if I time warp fast enough are enough to blow up the whole vessel.

These heat spikes seem particularly bad at munar nightfall, when the base's solar panels stop producing power and there's a sudden increase in demand from the reactor.

The reactor is adequately cooled, and works completely fine under load when not timewarping.

Is this a bug or do I have it set up wrong?

Edited by jzroth

6 hours ago, jzroth said:

I'm having weird heat issues with a 1.25m reactor at my Mun base which is supplying power to MPU's and drills on its own vessel as well as several other vessels via microwave power transmitter. Specifically, when I time warp, the reactor gets random spikes of massive amounts of heat (many thousands of K) which if I time warp fast enough are enough to blow up the whole vessel.

These heat spikes seem particularly bad at munar nightfall, when the base's solar panels stop producing power and there's a sudden increase in demand from the reactor.

The reactor is adequately cooled, and works completely fine under load when not timewarping.

Are you running multiple drill "heads" /sorters/filters (can't remember the name) on your drills at the same time? I know you're not supposed to do that at least.

3 hours ago, TackleMcClean said:

Are you running multiple drill "heads" /sorters/filters (can't remember the name) on your drills at the same time? I know you're not supposed to do that at least.

nope, just one head per drill. The problem seems to be caused by the reactor, because before I attached the reactor I had this design running on solar power and it worked fine even at full warp.

Edited by jzroth

1 hour ago, jzroth said:

nope, just one head per drill. The problem seems to be caused by the reactor, because before I attached the reactor I had this design running on solar power and it worked fine even at full warp.

I've had this issue with them as well, with the reactors being the only heat-generating parts on the ship. It seems to just be a consequence of KSP physics at high warps, in that it could be simply missing cooling ticks and the reactor blows up before it can access cooling again or automatically shut down. This issue has been around for years, at any rate. You might just need to turn the reactor off during high warp, do them from the tracking station or check "ignore max temp" in the cheat menu.

12 hours ago, jzroth said:

Are you using any mods which changes the time warp?

41 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I've had this issue with them as well, with the reactors being the only heat-generating parts on the ship. It seems to just be a consequence of KSP physics at high warps, in that it could be simply missing cooling ticks and the reactor blows up before it can access cooling again or automatically shut down. This issue has been around for years, at any rate. You might just need to turn the reactor off during high warp, do them from the tracking station or check "ignore max temp" in the cheat menu.

This is a bug feature. If you're familiar with Nertea's Far Future Tech, this feature is exactly why Nertea sidelined that mod. At a certain height of timewarp, KSP stops calculating heat. When you stop warp, the heat catchup spreads the accumulated heat throughout the craft, endangering all parts that have low heat tolerance or would otherwise be overwhelmed by the sheer bulk of heat.

Supposedly you can dampen this by attaching powerful radiators that cool only their parent and grandparent parts but I know not of any mods that provide such radiators.

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you using any mods which changes the time warp?

Other mods are not a cause or related to it. It's a flaw in KSP.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

Just wondering, but wouldn't the Tundra modules make more sense in the Colonization tech node instead of long term habitation? IMO, it would be better to have the Duna series in one lower level node, and Tundra in a higher node.

Here's a link to a CFG I made for that, if anyone wants it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bcgeaxbxo83j9ov/MKS_CTT.cfg?dl=0

Hi,

I’m a fresh forum user asking a question I couldn’t find on the MKS wiki or FAQ, it’s aboht homesickness and the Tundra Medical Bay. 

I sent my kerbals to my expansive Duna base, but sent them in a tiny ship with no supplies or habitat features, with the assumption I could fix them up in the medbay once they land on duna. 

Ive turned medbay ‘on’ but it hasn’t fixed their homesickness... does it take a while to undo their homesickness?

thank you,

J

9 minutes ago, Jamiroquai0 said:

Hi,

I’m a fresh forum user asking a question I couldn’t find on the MKS wiki or FAQ, it’s aboht homesickness and the Tundra Medical Bay. 

I sent my kerbals to my expansive Duna base, but sent them in a tiny ship with no supplies or habitat features, with the assumption I could fix them up in the medbay once they land on duna. 

Ive turned medbay ‘on’ but it hasn’t fixed their homesickness... does it take a while to undo their homesickness?

thank you,

J

I'm not sure of the exact maths, but I believe the medbay takes time to bring your kerbals back, and that time is proportionally or otherwise linked to how long they have been out for.

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I'm not sure of the exact maths, but I believe the medbay takes time to bring your kerbals back, and that time is proportionally or otherwise linked to how long they have been out for.

Thanks voicey, I had suspected that but got a bit worried when it didn’t work straight away. 

Ill just leave them in there for a while and see how I go!

On 2/6/2019 at 2:13 AM, ChrisF0001 said:

That also just happened to me (a bit more of a shame for the automatic drill outpost an hour's drive from anywhere...), and also all the habitats turned off, and fully half my Kerbals became tourists.  Reactivating the hab modules helped some, but not all, and Minmus City is now going to need quite a tricky rescue operation of some kind...

That leads me to wonder - has some other variable changed, or was I using some custom setting that has now been reset?  Or something else?

I've had this same issue. I've been watching this topic, but I missed any resolution to this; did anyone ever find any solution? 

On 2/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

This is a bug feature. If you're familiar with Nertea's Far Future Tech, this feature is exactly why Nertea sidelined that mod. At a certain height of timewarp, KSP stops calculating heat. When you stop warp, the heat catchup spreads the accumulated heat throughout the craft, endangering all parts that have low heat tolerance or would otherwise be overwhelmed by the sheer bulk of heat.

Supposedly you can dampen this by attaching powerful radiators that cool only their parent and grandparent parts but I know not of any mods that provide such radiators.

Other mods are not a cause or related to it. It's a flaw in KSP.

I've just had another incident where it blew up the craft after a time-warp when it wasn't even focused! I was time-warping at the tracking station and when I switched back it blew up.

Is there no way to fix this? Or if not, what should I be doing for overnight power supply at an industrial Mun base?

26 minutes ago, alien_wind said:

I must ask:

is there any functions that the non-stock career kerbals can do that the stock kerbals can't fulfill?

what is their merit 

They are more specialized to a task, and as a result are less expensive to hire.  Hiring kerbals gets expensive quickly.

6 hours ago, jzroth said:

I've just had another incident where it blew up the craft after a time-warp when it wasn't even focused! I was time-warping at the tracking station and when I switched back it blew up.

Is there no way to fix this? Or if not, what should I be doing for overnight power supply at an industrial Mun base?

I'm not in position to offer you an MM patch to strip out the need for radiators. If I was to offer one, it would be such that it keeps the spooling (warm up) functionality of the reactor because that's an awesome feature, but reduces the radiator requirement to just 50kW (covered by the smallest stock radiators).

The most convenient option (without messing with config files, that is) would be to install USI's Karbonite and use that just for its very potent Karb-Electric generators (The small one takes 0.1/s for 30 EC/s and the large one, 2.5m inline, takes 1/s for 500 EC/s). It's easy to get to self-powering on a fuel cell-alike system on Karbonite, granted your base's location is rich in it or you can manage a logistics hub for it.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

They are more specialized to a task, and as a result are less expensive to hire.  Hiring kerbals gets expensive quickly.

yea well I developed a habit long ago to not hire kerbals

I just take save mission so instead of costing me money it's a steady revenue stream

also with mks I get more experienced kerbals

On 2/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, Vandernugget said:

I've had this same issue. I've been watching this topic, but I missed any resolution to this; did anyone ever find any solution? 

I haven't seen a resolution yet.  Based on what has happened since, I think it may have something to do with overcrowding - sometimes Kerbals return to duty if others leave the scene somehow, be it in a rover, or on one memorable occasion that I quick-loaded back from, when I accidentally clicked 'Compress and rotate' instead of just 'Compress' on some construction ports and half the base exploded.  The survivors returned to duty promptly.  I choose to read nothing sinister into this. :)

Still, it's all a little strange.

My first try at local logistics, what am I missing??

1.6.1, everything updated as per Steam & CKAN.

Vessel #1:  Mining vessel.  What is of interest is the Kontainer with 3900 units of ore and increasing.  Planetary warehouse on , local warehouse on, pump is on, level 16.  There is a Duna logistics module on it with a level 5 engineer.

Vessel #2, parked maybe 20m away:  Refining vessel.  It has a Kontainer set to ore, planetary warehouse on, local warehouse on, pump is on, level 0.  There is a Duna pioneer module on it with a level 5 engineer.

Ore continues to accumulate in vessel #1, none of it shows up in #2.

This is on the shores of Kerbin, a few km from KSC.  As a test I tried reversing the pump levels, no change.  The miner continues to mine, the refiner is starved and does nothing.  Both vessels have plenty of energy, the miner has successfully operated overnight, the refiner hasn't spent a night out yet.