[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

MKS uses the stock catch-up system, so if you go back to a base it will 'catch-up' in 6 hour blocks until it is current(using the current level of production for things like solar panels or drills)

If you never go back to a base, then it will never have a chance to 'catch up'.

Is it in any way possible to remove things (like harvesters) from a wolf depot, I searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer.

I remember it wasn't possible, if this is the case, are there plans to change that? I know its difficult to implement but in the case of the drills It would make sense because the easy harvester is basically wasting resources, wich is fine at the start but wasteful later on.

4 hours ago, j169 said:

Is it in any way possible to remove things (like harvesters) from a wolf depot, I searched everywhere and couldn't find an answer.

I remember it wasn't possible, if this is the case, are there plans to change that? I know its difficult to implement but in the case of the drills It would make sense because the easy harvester is basically wasting resources, wich is fine at the start but wasteful later on.

WOLF does not store anything about what is in it a depot, only available and provided resources.  As such, it is not possible to 'remove' components in-game, and I believe RoverDude explicitly said that he will not be adding that functionality.

If you want to 'remove a drill', then just edit your save file.  The Wolf section for each biome is relatively easy to find and understand, just adjust the available and provided resources the opposite amount that one drill would modify, and the drill is 'gone'.

The simpler drill wasting resources is actually a design choice: save time now or be more productive later.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:17 AM, Terwin said:

WOLF does not store anything about what is in it a depot, only available and provided resources.  As such, it is not possible to 'remove' components in-game, and I believe RoverDude explicitly said that he will not be adding that functionality.

If you want to 'remove a drill', then just edit your save file.  The Wolf section for each biome is relatively easy to find and understand, just adjust the available and provided resources the opposite amount that one drill would modify, and the drill is 'gone'.

The simpler drill wasting resources is actually a design choice: save time now or be more productive later.

Ahh ok, then I couldn't find that post, but nice to know, thanks

That's a good Idea, wasn't expecting that the Wolf savefile would be easy to edit.

I know, and I think it's a really good choice, forcing you to make a tough decision, easy and wasteful or efficient but difficult. 

Thanks for the quick reply, now I'm a bit smarter, fly save! :D

Presumably because they are on a slight slope, (I can't find anywhere on Duna that is totally flat) the various buildings in my colony keep slowly drifting until they are one big tangled pile of stuff, even with "ground anchor" enabled on every one of them. Not that they are moving while I watch. It's just much of the time when I go back to them, they are a bit closer together, until eventually they are touching. Is there something I should be doing to avoid this, or is that just something that will happen no matter what I do?

(also, I tried using a winch to pull the buildings into more useful positions, but they are big enough that the winch cable just breaks)

Edited by Tokamak

just wanted to ask, what's with the Ballute and the KS-ML Milling Lathe parts? they currently have no textures on them so they're 1 solid color, that also goes for the inline SAS modules as well, just wanted to ask because I haven't seen an update to the mod in quite awhile 

So I got this mod once I saw it was compatible with Snacks but I'm seeing that for some parts they still make Supplies rather than Snacks. Am I right in assuming that Snacks are what are normally consumed, but Kolonies don't consume Snacks but instead consume Supplies, to reflect a more varied palette instead of just, food bars? Or is it just a bug?

9 hours ago, kingofhell213 said:

So I got this mod once I saw it was compatible with Snacks but I'm seeing that for some parts they still make Supplies rather than Snacks. Am I right in assuming that Snacks are what are normally consumed, but Kolonies don't consume Snacks but instead consume Supplies, to reflect a more varied palette instead of just, food bars? Or is it just a bug?

MKS is a huge mod and has had a few very big and breaking updates since whenever it was that the Snacks support was written. Whatever MKS bits still operate with Supplies is either hardcoded or never received a config to handle Snacks. (This is not a bug. Also, it's not practical by any means to have multiple mods for life support (that is, making kerbals have to eat or drink). Why? Because: (1) They're never designed to allow kerbals to alternate or use one for backup when they run out on the other. If either mod decides your kerbals should be starved and dying, it will have them die and the other mod isn't going to argue; (2) It's excess work for you the player, pointless repeat work for the CPU and pointless repeat mass on your ship: the tanks and resource converters.)

48 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

MKS is a huge mod and has had a few very big and breaking updates since whenever it was that the Snacks support was written. Whatever MKS bits still operate with Supplies is either hardcoded or never received a config to handle Snacks. (This is not a bug. Also, it's not practical by any means to have multiple mods for life support (that is, making kerbals have to eat or drink). Why? Because: (1) They're never designed to allow kerbals to alternate or use one for backup when they run out on the other. If either mod decides your kerbals should be starved and dying, it will have them die and the other mod isn't going to argue; (2) It's excess work for you the player, pointless repeat work for the CPU and pointless repeat mass on your ship: the tanks and resource converters.)

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know! I'll just remove MKS for now then.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day, the majority of the MKS parts outside a few adapters and the Kontainers aren't showing up in the VAB parts menu, even when I search for them. They're in the tech tree, but nowhere else to be found. I've seen some other posts about this issue but I can't seem to find a definite fix. I've got the Nertea suite of mods downloaded along with Restock, Restock+, Planetshine, and MechJeb 2. Could a clash be causing this issue? I'll be trying out some more fixes before this is approved and seen, but it will be nice to know if someone's discovered the root cause in case I can't MacGyver something.

EDIT- I started from scratch, reinstalled everything and now it works perfectly! Computers, man.

Edited by emble12

@emble12 They should show up under (non-searchable) custom part categories at the bottom of the parts menu. Make sure you have all the dependencies installed correctly, I think one of them adds the custom categories support if I remember correctly.

On a new game, ksp 1.12.5 USI MKS 112.0.1 and CTT 3.4.4

I don't understand why the tundra pionneer 3.75 is available at Advanced Construction (90 sciences points)

and the 2.5 m version is available at Long Term Habitation (1000 sciences points).

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question, KSP 1.12.5, MKS 112.0.1 and the amazing ground tether option is nowhere to be found. I remember having it with my previous install.  Has something changed? Do I need to enable it somehow? Or perhaps one of my 165 other mods is messing things up?

5 hours ago, Trakkson said:

Quick question, KSP 1.12.5, MKS 112.0.1 and the amazing ground tether option is nowhere to be found. I remember having it with my previous install.  Has something changed? Do I need to enable it somehow? Or perhaps one of my 165 other mods is messing things up?

The ground tether should still be there. It's provided by one of the dependencies, USI Tools. Perhaps you're looking on the wrong parts? It's only present on a limited number of parts by default - the MKS wide landing legs, MKS hubs, Salamander Pod and a few others. You can check that it is being correctly configured by searching your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file for "name = USI_InertialDampener" (without the quotes) to see which parts it's being added to.

I personally use a custom ModuleManager patch to add it to all probe cores and command pods:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[KerbalEVA],!MODULE[USI_InertialDampener]]:NEEDS[USITools]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = USI_InertialDampener
	}
}

I thought i was using the exact same parts that did work earlier, but apparently not. So yeah, that's that. About that patch, any specific reason why I would want to add the functionality to the command pods and not, let's say, landing legs or rover wheels? Or is that just personal preference? 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking at the MKS drill parts, and how am I supposed to know how much more effective the larger ones are if they all say that they have a max output of "1.00/sec"?

Is there a formula for calculating a drill's output rate given the percent abundance of a particular resource, the presence of engineers, and other factors?

I could simulate drilling with KRASH, but is there any other way to do it before sending one to a planet or moon?

No3gx8B.png

Edited by Pipcard

On 1/12/2022 at 5:40 AM, JamesonKerbal said:

I'm having trouble with passenger routes. Having established a small number of routes, I'm now in the situation of trying to use them but the routes I want do not show up.

As an example I have a route from KSC to Kerbin Orbit with 7 luxury seats, a second KSC to Kerbin Orbit route with 54 economy seats, a 90 seat economy route from Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit, and a 7 seat luxury route from Kerbin Orbit to Mun Orbit.

I now have a Kerbal in my Kerbin Orbit passenger terminal, and I want to send them from Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit. When I have the Kerbin orbit passenger terminal active and open the Crew Transfers window, I can only see the two flights from KSC to Kerbin Orbit. There is no option to prepare the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight for boarding.

When I have the Minmus terminal active, I can see the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight, but it's only in the "boarding" state and I can't select kerbals to board that flight (because the Minmus terminal is the destination not the origin, and the Kerbin orbit terminal isn't in range).

How do I board passengers on the Kerbin Orbit to Minmus Orbit flight (flight 9E9 in my save)?

edit: okay now I've fiddled around a bit and between selecting different departure/arival body/biome options and changing scenes I can now only see the 9E9 flight in the crew transfer window.

When opening the Crew Transfer window from the toolbar button I seem to get results along the lines of "whatever filter was last applied". When opening the Crew Transfer window from the "show terminal window" action in the WOLF Terminal's PAW it appears to apply filters for flights arriving at this terminal. At this stage I can see both the luxury and economy flight from KSC to Kerbin Orbit from both the KSC and Kerbin Orbit terminals. I can only see the Kerbin Orbit to Mun/Minmus Orbit from the Mun terminal or Minmus terminal respectively.

Terminal id strings:

• Kerbin KSC b048aa068e0847c3a0b3cfe22cbcb06e
  • Kerbin Orbit 9be547e9cfcb4d2fa0c1647b11104d76 and e7f6e2ed43eb49469c570a461b467292
  • Minmus Orbit 3590dd2e4de84038a7f1549415c26332
  • Mun Orbit 440f26969dc5450a9fbe2f07ad12088d

The 9be547 Kerbin Orbit terminal doesn't exist in the save, so I deleted that TERMINAL definition from the TERMINALS node in the save and reloaded.

Immediately after the reload I'm in the "space centre" scene. When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar, the only flights visible are 2Y4 and 9UN being the economy and luxury flights from KSC to Kerbin Orbit.

I then switch to the Tracking Station and fly the Minmus Shipyard vessel (which is the Minmus passenger terminal). When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar, the only flights visible are 2Y4 and 9UN.

Then I open the (Minmus Passenger) Terminal's PAW and select "show terminal window" and the Crew Transfers window opens up with the Kerbin Orbit -> Minmus Orbit flight 9E9 visible. Changing the Departures and Arrivals dropdowns has no effect on the displayed Flights.

I then switch to the Tracking Station and fly the Mun Passenger Terminal vessel. When I open the Crew Transfers window from the toolbar the only flight visible is Kerbin Orbit -> Minmus Orbit flight 9E9. Changing the Departures and Arrivals dropdown has no effect on displayed flights.

Then I open the (Mun Passenger) Terminal's PAW and select "show terminal window" and the Crew Transfers window opens with the same detalis as when opened from the toolbar. Changing departures and arrivals dropdowns has no effect on displayed flights (only the 9E9 flight is listed under Flights).

And that's my KSP play time for today.  Time for my day job.

Here's the relevant section of the save, just in case this helps figure out what's going on.

Reveal hidden contents
	SCENARIO
	{
		name = WOLF_ScenarioModule
		scene = 6, 7, 5, 8
		CREWROUTES
		{
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 6772761.2674578931
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Kerbin
				Duration = 102267.89783466281
				EconomyBerths = 54
				FlightNumber = 2Y4
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 0
				OriginBiome = KSC
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = 55dd7a5c8d5c4e8180afc9acd97cab66
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 0
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Minmus
				Duration = 1636142.3251785911
				EconomyBerths = 90
				FlightNumber = 9E9
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 0
				OriginBiome = Orbit
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = cc849f1277eb4a0da6073315d5c126fd
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 13473968.82141884
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Kerbin
				Duration = 21600
				EconomyBerths = 0
				FlightNumber = 9UN
				FlightStatus = Enroute
				LuxuryBerths = 7
				OriginBiome = KSC
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = fd5dba2dd1d54719be6a945130f6f7f8
				PASSENGERS
				{
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Aldtop Kerman
						DisplayName = Aldtop Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Technician
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Andrea Kerman
						DisplayName = Andrea Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Scientist
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Ergard Kerman
						DisplayName = Ergard Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Farmer
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Henby Kerman
						DisplayName = Henby Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Mechanic
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Lanfrod Kerman
						DisplayName = Lanfrod Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Kolonist
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Macfurt Kerman
						DisplayName = Macfurt Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Engineer
						Stars = 5
					}
					PASSENGER
					{
						Name = Mardon Kerman
						DisplayName = Mardon Kerman
						IsTourist = False
						Occupation = Miner
						Stars = 5
					}
				}
			}
			ROUTE
			{
				ArrivalTime = 13364159.130969318
				DestinationBiome = Orbit
				DestinationBody = Mun
				Duration = 43428.253153186291
				EconomyBerths = 0
				FlightNumber = 1XS
				FlightStatus = Boarding
				LuxuryBerths = 7
				OriginBiome = Orbit
				OriginBody = Kerbin
				UniqueId = e8eb4d12815d4d94aad87444cfbe0792
			}
		}

im having basically the same issue as this. obviously my flights and uuid's are different
my 2 flights econ and luxury from ksc to orbit are visible
my 2 flights econ and luxury from orbit to ksc are visible
my flight from kerbin orbit to minmus is visible
my flight from minmus to kerbin is just unobtainable

im even having the strange thing where some of my flights are invisible until i open up the flight tracker from said specified terminal

was this resolved? if so how?