RoverDude

[1.3] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

Recommended Posts

I'm having a problem with the malamute rover, (and most of your other rovers as well). For some reason, none of them have any form of suspension for me. It says they do in the VAB/SPH but in game, they are completely stiff. I've tried the Karibou, Akita, and Malamute rovers with their included wheels and it seems to be the same issue across the board, leading most of them to flip over or generally act strangely when I'm trying to drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having issues with T-Credits - for some reason it says that Liquid Fuel is lacking, even though there is a reasonable supply of it on the colony. Or should a fuel tank be connected directly to the Logistics module for that to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

So long as the workshop is in physics range it works.  In reality engineers would travel a lot farther than physics range to maintain their machinery.

I believe the workshop's auto-maintenance works within logistics range (150m I think), and so it should from a design standpoint - I can move most resources 150m, why should Machinery, Uranium and Depleted Uranium be any different?

3 hours ago, AtilaElari said:

I'm having issues with T-Credits - for some reason it says that Liquid Fuel is lacking, even though there is a reasonable supply of it on the colony. Or should a fuel tank be connected directly to the Logistics module for that to work?

Put a saddle tank and a redipak on your logistic module, one for LFO and the other for MKs, that will give your logistic module the supplies it needs to make TCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm having an issue with the Karibou rover, it seems to like flipping. And going boom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, for those of us who have no idea how to setup resource distribution, I present: The Logistics Rover!
(Craft file, pics and info in the spoiler, I don't want to clutter this thread up)

Spoiler

 

Featuring a Karibou Cockpit for all your 2 kilometer resource hauling needs, fueled by black magic MKS Logistics!

And a Duna series Colonisation Module for all your pilots-not-going-on-strike-because-they-are-too-cramped-up and Ground Tether needs, fueled by witchcraft ColonySupplies! (disclaimer: may not function without USI-LS)

OK, now onto serious stuff, it's a simple rover costing :funds:22.7K, suitable for in-situ construction with EL or GC (when @allista updates it) using the Karibou system. It has a Karibou cockpit for the distribution.

Also, it has a Duna series Colonisation module for its ability to take in ColonySupplies and make one Kerbal immune to hab/home effects with them. It can be replaced with >1yr hab, but that's quite hard to achieve without a long & expensive rover. The storage bay in the back holds the ColonySupplies as a buffer between being requested from logistics and being used by the Kolonisation module. It is designed to operate near your base, with its Power Coupler and requirement to pull CS out of Logistics, but it can function for short drives away too. Suppose a few solar panels would help for the longer drives.

It seats 4 for short drives (3 in the cockpit and 1 in the colonisation module) but the colonisation module can only give permanent hab to 1 kerbal, which is OK as you only need 1 (a pilot) to use it for its intended purpose.

No pix no clix:

2vkdd11.png

It will start out with wheels deployed and struts retracted, so do bear that in mind. Also, turn corners slowly. Tested to be stable on Kerbin at 5m/s. Otherwise, it will flip over, and it might go boom:

15g9uva.png

Craft file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i1iqj1jffboy8c/Logistics Rover.craft?dl=0

Keybinds:

1 - Deploy all the leveling struts

G - Deploy wheels

Recommended operation: Drive into position. Deploy leveling struts. Retract wheels. Activate ground tether on Duna module.

For relocating: Deactivate ground tether on Duna module. Deploy wheels. Retract leveling struts. Follow Recommended Operation steps to move.

 

Can't wait to deploy it at my Kolony! Now to ship in a kontainer of Specialised Parts for EL. I could do with more powerful Skycranes.

Edited by TDplay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if Orbital Logistics can have deliveries scheduled repeatedly.

Also, it seems the MWM deletes the inventories of Kerbals that go into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, TDplay said:

I'm wondering if Orbital Logistics can have deliveries scheduled repeatedly.

Also, it seems the MWM deletes the inventories of Kerbals that go into it.

Seat inventory only works for parts that always have seats.  Mobile (inflatable) parts have no seats when uninflated and therefore don't count as having seat inventory  for KIS.  This has always been the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Seat inventory only works for parts that always have seats.  Mobile (inflatable) parts have no seats when uninflated and therefore don't count as having seat inventory  for KIS.  This has always been the case.

Ah, I see. Well, that's annoying - I've now lost my only screwdriver.

KIS seat inventories worked fine in Pathfinder's inflatables - that seems to have seats that, if crewed on launch, are emptied. Could we use a thing like that?

Edited by TDplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Ah, I see. Well, that's annoying - I've now lost my only screwdriver.

KIS seat inventories worked fine in Pathfinder's inflatables - that seems to have seats that, if crewed on launch, are emptied. Could we use a thing like that?

"seat inventory" has always been a sore spot.  To understand you'd have to go all the way back to the creation of KIS back in 2015.  "Seat inventory" was never created to give seats actual inventory.  It was a workaround to give a Kerbal tools at launch, since there was no way to assign KIS items to a Kerbal in the VAB.  You can see this also in cases where you have un manned seats.  For example if you have a 3 seat pod, and put items into Seat 2 but only have one kerbal in the pod, the items in seat 2 disappear.

The best solution honestly is to simply not count on seat inventory.  I always drop off my KIS items in a container before boarding, as it isn't just MKS inflatable parts that have caused this issue.

 

IIRC Igorz has talked about wanting to either remove or rework seat inventory as it has been a thorn in KIS's side since creation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

IIRC Igorz has talked about wanting to either remove or rework seat inventory as it has been a thorn in KIS's side since creation

Just want to add that I really like an idea that i see in the Karibou Rover Cab - it has KIS some storage built-in.  I wish KIS had that on every part with a hatch - and as soon as a kerbal enters the vessel everything in their inventory got dropped into the part's KIS bin.  ...If it fits, of course.  If it doesn't fit, it should act like it does if a kerbal carries science into a part that can't store it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Just want to add that I really like an idea that i see in the Karibou Rover Cab - it has KIS some storage built-in.  I wish KIS had that on every part with a hatch - and as soon as a kerbal enters the vessel everything in their inventory got dropped into the part's KIS bin.  ...If it fits, of course.  If it doesn't fit, it should act like it does if a kerbal carries science into a part that can't store it.

It's easy to add some KIS storage to every part with a hatch for yourself.  having it auto dump from a Kerbal's inventory into that storage would be something KIS would have to write into code.  I have no idea how feasible that would be.  I've never had a problem just stopping at the hatch and manually move my inventory in before I board.  I already had the habit as prior to KIS, the old version had no provision for "seat Storage"

Edited by goldenpsp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NermNermNerm said:

Just want to add that I really like an idea that i see in the Karibou Rover Cab - it has KIS some storage built-in.  I wish KIS had that on every part with a hatch - and as soon as a kerbal enters the vessel everything in their inventory got dropped into the part's KIS bin.  ...If it fits, of course.  If it doesn't fit, it should act like it does if a kerbal carries science into a part that can't store it.

 

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It's easy to add some KIS storage to every part with a hatch for yourself.  having it auto dump from a Kerbal's inventory into that storage would be something KIS would have to write into code.  I have no idea how feasible that would be.

I will quote @NermNermNerm in the KIS thread.

Edited by TDplay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RoverDude I think I figured out how to fix (somewhat) the industrial miners part loading error by using the new ModulePartVariants module to change the texture instead of using the Model node.

I just make some tests for the moment, but I will submit a PR if it works.

Regarding the root cause, my bet is that there is an incompatibility between the texture replacement code and how the drill model is made as other part using the MODEL/texture attribute don't have the same problem (both stock and modded content).

Edited by Gurki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone successfully built a MKS base on Eve?  I can get there and I can almost land or when I do land the gravity breaks my landing legs and it falls and BOOM.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, using the ModulePartVariants module is working. The drawback of using this module is that even with one variant, the multi-skin icon is shown in VAB/SPH UI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! (First time poster.)

I'm trying to find  a 1.3.1 version that fixes the bug with the drills (where all the options are there but then scroll off immediately).

I've tried a whole bunch of different versions but all have issues:
v0.55.0.0 is for v1.4
v0.54.1.0, which is the one that says it fixes the "swappable converters" (which is what I think I want?) is only for v1.4, although it doesn't say that on the GitHub page, I've tried loading with 1.3.1 and it says it's incompatable and to use 1.4
v0.54.0.0 is for v1.4
v0.53.2.0 drills don't work (March 6)
v0.53.1.0 drills don't work (March 6)
v0.53.0.0 drills don't work (October 8)

Am I supposed to be using the 0.54.1.0 version in 1.3.1?

Would really appreciate any help on how I can run 1.3.1 with proper drills. Was really enjoying the mod until I built my first base and found out mining didn't work. :(

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a problem with MKS 'Ranger' Agriculture Module in KSP 1.3.1, USI Kolonization 0.53.2.0.

The module deploys correctly, can change it's type to greenhouse and other types, but even when deployed, greenhouse bay is chosen, greenhouse is started, and it is shown to have almost 100% load, it still does not produce any supplies or use up the fertilizer. I tried manning it with scientist and engineer too. You can see that it does not use up fertilizer at all in this screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/HdxUyst.png.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Xilexio said:

I have a problem with MKS 'Ranger' Agriculture Module in KSP 1.3.1, USI Kolonization 0.53.2.0.

The module deploys correctly, can change it's type to greenhouse and other types, but even when deployed, greenhouse bay is chosen, greenhouse is started, and it is shown to have almost 100% load, it still does not produce any supplies or use up the fertilizer. I tried manning it with scientist and engineer too. You can see that it does not use up fertilizer at all in this screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/HdxUyst.png.

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

The Greenhouse setting makes the module into an efficiency part, meaning it does not actively produce anything but rather acts to boost the productivity of other Supplies/Organics-producing parts. There are other varieties of efficiency part available as well on and for other parts.

Edited by voicey99
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The Greenhouse setting makes the module into an efficiency part, meaning it does not actively produce anything but rather acts to boost the productivity of other Supplies/Organics-producing parts. There are other varieties of efficiency part available as well on and for other parts.

Thanks! It seems I confused Greenhouse with Agroponics. Everything works now.

The only other issue I found is disappearing items when putting crew into inflatable habitation modules, but I saw a bug report on github that it has to be fixed on KIS side. I assume this bug is still open, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Xilexio said:

Thanks! It seems I confused Greenhouse with Agroponics. Everything works now.

The only other issue I found is disappearing items when putting crew into inflatable habitation modules, but I saw a bug report on github that it has to be fixed on KIS side. I assume this bug is still open, right?

Yeah. Uninflated parts have no seat space and thus no crew inventory, and when they are inflated the crew seat inventory doesn't get created so it thinks it has a space of zero and deletes anything crewmembers have on them when you go in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Capt. Kirk said:

Has anyone successfully built a MKS base on Eve?  I can get there and I can almost land or when I do land the gravity breaks my landing legs and it falls and BOOM.  

Try the 'Scout' Landing Module, Karibou parts' leveling struts, Wide Landing Legs or the Landing Stabilisers, and also try a skycrane with chutes to slow initially (and to reduce engine power needed) and engines (any with a high ASL thrust, such as stock's Aerospike or Vector/Mammoth or MKS' own Skycrane for smaller payloads) for to land softly at ~0.5m/s to minimise lithobraking (and therefore stress on lander legs). The atmosphere is useful as chutes can be used to do most of the deceleration, therefore reducing fuel needed to land (but it's a right pain to take back off).

TL;DR: Chutes + Engines

Eve is a tough one, it's really tough to get there and back, let alone build a kolony there.

5 minutes ago, Xilexio said:

Thanks! It seems I confused Greenhouse with Agroponics. Everything works now.

The only other issue I found is disappearing items when putting crew into inflatable habitation modules, but I saw a bug report on github that it has to be fixed on KIS side. I assume this bug is still open, right?

Yes, that is a KIS bug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any known issues with 1.4? Right now I'm running 1.4 (x64) and the Habitat function on modules defaults to Off when reloading a craft. So my Kerbals instantly go on strike and there's no way to re-enable the habitat and restore functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EnDSchultz said:

Are there any known issues with 1.4? Right now I'm running 1.4 (x64) and the Habitat function on modules defaults to Off when reloading a craft. So my Kerbals instantly go on strike and there's no way to re-enable the habitat and restore functionality.

There's still some gremlins being worked out. Same for the final 1.3.1 editions (0.53.0.0 is the last stable version).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 2:30 PM, Aspira said:

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to post my question, but I will give it a try.

 

I see all USI mods are updated with latest releases 4 days ago. Already installed all. I am just curious as I see some are on ckan and others are not if they will ever be available there. The reason I ask are two: 1. It's easier to keep mods update 2. I "heard" some people talk about a boycott. I don't mean to rush, just curious to know if they will ever be there like in the past game versions. I dont mean MKS only but all USI mods.

 

Thank you.

CKAN is waiting for Allista to update Ground Construction before marking MKS and other mods that rely on GC as being available.

There may be other dependencies as well.

Until all required modules are marked as available, I just install manually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

being now to this MKS: I am now waiting for CKAN also until it is downloadable from there.

Question: Is it then possible to integrate this into a running game or do I have to fully restart a new game from scratch?

Regards

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now