[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

7 hours ago, notthebobo said:

You should add yours to the Tutorial section of the Wiki. You may want to start there to get some ideas of what needs covering.

Hey, Thanks for mentioning the wiki. I was just trying to remember where i had seen examples of Konstruction vehicles.  The Konstruction Vehicle Examples in the wiki are just what i was trying to find, some well designed examples.  Those are excellent pictures.  Do you know how to get craft to show up on a white background like that?

I am just coming back to KSP after a long break.  I was sad to  learn some of the interesting mods i used to use were no longer being maintained.  One mod  had robotic parts i wanted to use.   I was pleasantly surprised to find all the great robotic parts in Konstruction.!! 

Thanks to all of you who help RoverDude work on this mod.

10 hours ago, DaveLister9999 said:

Those are excellent pictures.  Do you know how to get craft to show up on a white background like that?

There's a mod called Kronal Vessel Viewer that will take good photos of crafts inside the VAB and SPH.

7 hours ago, alien_wind said:

does colony growth go up with amount of colonization modules?
because I noticed that if I have more then one onboard they all get stuck on 1y 24 days

Do you have enough colony supplies?  I believe the colony growth feature requires the colonization module to be functioning, and it is easy to run out of colony supplies, especially with multiple consumers.

3 hours ago, tsaven said:

There's a mod called Kronal Vessel Viewer that will take good photos of crafts inside the VAB and SPH.

@tsaven    that looks even better than i expected. thanks      

1 hour ago, notthebobo said:

@DaveLister9999, you probably used Infernal Robotics in the past. In case you haven't heard, a new DLC package is coming out from Squad at the end of the month that includes, among other things, some new robotic parts.

@notthebobo    Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of IR.   This is great news.  I like Squad parts and USI parts. Better support and it makes upgrading so much easier.  The fewer other mods i need the better.

On 5/23/2019 at 10:07 PM, Terwin said:

Do you have enough colony supplies?  I believe the colony growth feature requires the colonization module to be functioning, and it is easy to run out of colony supplies, especially with multiple consumers.

I'm with positive production of colony supplies(produce more than consume)

Got  question in relation to the Planetary Warehouse and the 'catch-up' algorithm.

I know that if a USI container gets full, it will push half it's inventory to the planetary warehouse and then continue on, repeating this over and over.

My question is, if I have a remote miner with storage (for example) 100 units. Once it gets full, it should push 50 units to the planetary warehouse. But, what if I left that guy alone for a year then came back to it? The way I figure, it's going to go one of two ways. For example if it mined 1000 units over that year.

1. The catchup will perform, filling the container up to 100, then dump half to the planetary warehouse. Anything mined past that point would be lost. Storage would only be at 50 units.

2. The catchup will perform, calculating how much would have been mined over that year and dump it all to the planetary warehouse minus 50 units (half the volume of the storage). Storage would be at 950 units.

Just wondering which way this would go, I'm thinking #2, but I want to make sure before I build my fleet of miners.

4 minutes ago, Paadwyn said:

1. The catchup will perform, filling the container up to 100, then dump half to the planetary warehouse. Anything mined past that point would be lost. Storage would only be at 50 units.

2. The catchup will perform, calculating how much would have been mined over that year and dump it all to the planetary warehouse minus 50 units (half the volume of the storage). Storage would be at 950 units.

Neither, but closest to 1. Catchup (vanilla mechanic btw) is processed in 6h chunks, so you'd need 12h worth of storage.

Just now, Paadwyn said:

So then it's best to have a large amount of storage or you will need to go back sooner to let it empty?

No. If you'd left it alone for a long time and had sufficient (i.e. over 12h) worth of storage for its production, then in each 6h-long catchup chunk it would add 6h worth of production to its storage, shunt enough of that off to PL to empty down to half full and then move onto the next 6h-long chunk. Repeat until caught up. In essence, catchup is processed as though you had visited every 6h.

Ok, I think I understand... it would go through 6 hours worth of mining, basically, then dump half of the contents of the storage (If it was full). With the most efficient process having 12 hours worth of storage so none is wasted.

Too big of a storage and it will take too many 6 hour chunks to fill it up.

Too small of storage and you're wasting resources.

Just now, Paadwyn said:

Ok, I think I understand... it would go through 6 hours worth of mining, basically, then dump half of the contents of the storage (If it was full). With the most efficient process having 12 hours worth of storage so none is wasted.

Too big of a storage and it will take too many 6 hour chunks to fill it up.

Too small of storage and you're wasting resources.

Yep, you got it. With a large storage you still don't lose anything, it's just a lot of unused space (though production will ramp up significantly later so you'll need a large amount of slack).

Thanks! Awesome...

Basically, I'm just trying to design a miner that uses two strip miners, each bay configured to each of the resources.

From there, have storage for each resource, so I can have just one mining craft file, be able to build it and it mine any resource without needing a change in setup.

Looks like I will need to bring out the calculator to get an efficient setup.

Some of parts have missing bulkheadProfiles info in config files. When that info is missing, it can create havoc with SPH/VAB part filters.
I have detected them with this MM patch:

// Gambiarra para sobreviver ao bug do VAB/SPH no CategoryFilter.
// https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/181078-vab-category-fail/#comment-3517556
@PART[*]:HAS[~bulkheadProfiles[]]
{
	bulkheadProfiles = srf, missingBulkheadProfiles
}

This patch fix filtering issue and at the same time add keyword "missingBulkheadProfiles", so you can easy search trough MM cache and find parts with missing info.
When comes to USI parts, those are with name "USI_Nuke_*", but could not hurt to use same patch for yourself, in case that I missed some, or don't have them installed in my Gamedata folder.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:54 PM, Paadwyn said:

Thanks! Awesome...

Basically, I'm just trying to design a miner that uses two strip miners, each bay configured to each of the resources.

From there, have storage for each resource, so I can have just one mining craft file, be able to build it and it mine any resource without needing a change in setup.

Looks like I will need to bring out the calculator to get an efficient setup.

Could you reconfigure storage in the field? Reconfiguring ("repaint") the ISM storage parts is free (IIRC you may even be able to do it with any kind of crew).

I am trying out a FlexOTube before shipping it to the destination, but I don't seem to be able to connect these. Am I doing something wrong? The second port is also the facing the right way (the "this part to ship" string is hidden). The kerbal is a little bit off on this screenshot, but nothing changes if she gets closer.

image.png

Edited by snakeru

10 minutes ago, snakeru said:

I am trying out a FlexOTube before shipping it to the destination, but I don't seem to be able to connect these. Am I doing something wrong? The second port is also the facing the right way (the "this part to ship" string is hidden). The kerbal is a little bit off on this screenshot, but nothing changes if she gets closer.

These got broken in a semi-recent KAS update.  I believe there's a PR in to get them fixed, but it will have to wait until MKS gets a new release.

In the meantime, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems has similar tubes that are working with the new KAS, which you could use instead.

8 hours ago, Johould said:

Could you reconfigure storage in the field? Reconfiguring ("repaint") the ISM storage parts is free (IIRC you may even be able to do it with any kind of crew).

I could, but with how I want to run things, I was hoping to do it without the need to jump a guy out to repaint. Plus...being able to mine more than one resource at a time. I'm just adding a storage tank for each resource on the miner, all in one.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

These got broken in a semi-recent KAS update.  I believe there's a PR in to get them fixed, but it will have to wait until MKS gets a new release.

In the meantime, Kerbal Planetary Base Systems has similar tubes that are working with the new KAS, which you could use instead.

Yep, they got borked. KAS changed the way the system worked with the connecting tubes, apparently the flex-o-tubes were basically a re-skin of them.

I ended up going to DMagic flexible docking ports. Not exactly the same thing and I needed to make some big changes to my setup, but it will do alright.

On 5/23/2019 at 12:39 AM, DaveLister9999 said:

.1. Would new people or people who have never used MKS benefit from simple tutorials like that?  Or would it be a waste of time.  Maybe people don't want simple bases. Maybe they only want complex bases.

2. How would people new to MKS locate the tutorials?  I knows these tutorials would be worthless to a player with even a little MKS experience. If new players don't find the tutorials they would be a waste of time.  For example,  after several years of playing ksp, I loaded the jumping flea from the VAB.  I wish I had loaded it five years ago. lol.

3. Is anyone in charge of the github wiki? Or is there anyone who might suggest areas of the wiki that need work.  I am primarily interested in helping beginners actually get started with MKS.  I don't feel confident about the more advanced topics.  Providing Wrong information is worse than No information. 

Being a novice in MKS I can probably answer these:

1. I do want complex bases. Simple bases are already possible with stock KSP (just stuff up your rocket with everything you need and then try to get it up. If it doesn't work - dock in orbit.

2. My main source of information was KSPedia. I read it all through before doing anything. MKS has a really nice one.

3. MKS already has some example crafts in the KSPedia. These are more complex than what you propose. Be aware though that by providing examples you also provide spoilers. Some people don't like these ;-)

15 hours ago, DStaal said:

If you don't want to wait the next release and don't mind manual-editing files, you can simply replace all the contents of

[KSP-directory]\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\Patches\KIS.config

With the patched file from the PR here

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/3082e1aff5b5c754cccebed795742d603bb7e8a2/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/KIS.cfg

I had the same issue as yours and this fixed it for me.

11 hours ago, Brimarx said:

If you don't want to wait the next release and don't mind manual-editing files, you can simply replace all the contents of

[KSP-directory]\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS\Patches\KIS.config

With the patched file from the PR here

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/3082e1aff5b5c754cccebed795742d603bb7e8a2/FOR_RELEASE/GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/KIS.cfg

I had the same issue as yours and this fixed it for me.

Thanks.

I might just go ahead with that!

33 minutes ago, Hoddd9000 said:

What happened to the Atlas domes and WOLF project? I saw some posts about it a couple months ago and it sounded like they were close. Sounded awesome.

Breaking Ground happened :D  So that one is on me.    Soon(tm)