[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

@RookFett The issue with orbital logistics transfers failing should be fixed with the PR I just submitted to MKS. This was caused by launching multiple vessels using the same .craft file. I feel like this wasn't an issue before so maybe something changed with the way vessels are spawned into the game in KSP 1.6...? Note that any of your existing vessels (both launched and saved in the SPH/VAB) will still have this issue unfortunately. To fix a saved vessel, just remove the OrbLog part from the ship, replace it with a new one and then re-save the vessel. Fixing vessels already in flight will be a bit trickier since you'll have to edit your game save file. Search for ModuleOrbitalLogistics and remove the value for ModuleId. The next time you initiate a transfer to or from that vessel then, it will generate a new, unique ModuleId for itself. Note though that this only affects vessels based on the same .craft file. So it may be a non-issue if most of your existing vessels are one-off designs (like mine usually tend to be no matter how hard I try to reuse my ship designs :rolleyes:).

Side note: I also added a failure reason that shows up in the Review Transfer UI now for transfers listed as Failed or Partial.

Edited by DoktorKrogg

12 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

@RookFett The issue with orbital logistics transfers failing should be fixed with the PR I just submitted to MKS. This was caused by launching multiple vessels using the same .craft file. I feel like this wasn't an issue before so maybe something changed with the way vessels are spawned into the game in KSP 1.6...? Note that any of your existing vessels (both launched and saved in the SPH/VAB) will still have this issue unfortunately. To fix a saved vessel, just remove the OrbLog part from the ship, replace it with a new one and then re-save the vessel. Fixing vessels already in flight will be a bit trickier since you'll have to edit your game save file. Search for ModuleOrbitalLogistics and remove the value for ModuleId. The next time you initiate a transfer to or from that vessel then, it will generate a new, unique ModuleId for itself. Note though that this only affects vessels based on the same .craft file. So it may be a non-issue if most of your existing vessels are one-off designs (like mine usually tend to be no matter how hard I try to reuse my ship designs :rolleyes:).

Side note: I also added a failure reason that shows up in the Review Transfer UI now for transfers listed as Failed or Partial.

Yup @DoktorKrogg, was playing with it last night and found newer vessels I made (not using the same craft file) were working with orbital transfer - was about to update the issue when I saw you discovered it and made a fix.  I agree, it started after 1.6.1, I was using the same craft before with no issues - so dunno?

No worries about the save game - it's my USI/MKS test build - so I nuke everything anyway :)

Once I get a good design, I tend to re-use it - especially when I am testing, so of course I would find this!

Getting setup to make some video guides on this stuff - coming real soon (TM).

Thanks for finding the bug - was tearing hair out - and adding more details why something failed - the more you know ....

6 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Hmh. But if I add lights, won't it cost even more performance? Would it also cost performance if there were 2 options - cosmetic and actual illumination?

Something I learned from the IndicatorLights mod... Cosmetic lights are just bright neon patches.  Since they don't illuminate anything in their vicinity, your pc just has to draw a bright patch without worrying about the other stuff around the patch. 

But if something illuminates, then stuff around the light source has to be redrawn accordingly.  The pc has to calculate the light source's effects on their surroundings - what stuff gets lit up and what stuff produces a shadow, which then darkens other stuff.

43 minutes ago, bcqJC said:

Something I learned from the IndicatorLights mod... Cosmetic lights are just bright neon patches.  Since they don't illuminate anything in their vicinity, your pc just has to draw a bright patch without worrying about the other stuff around the patch. 

But if something illuminates, then stuff around the light source has to be redrawn accordingly.  The pc has to calculate the light source's effects on their surroundings - what stuff gets lit up and what stuff produces a shadow, which then darkens other stuff.

It's also worth noting that KSP has a setting for the number of lights (that can illuminate) it can have in a scene - defaults to something about 8 I believe.  If there are more lights than that present, they just stay off and don't work.  There's no limit to number of emmissves. (Cosmetic lights.)  So you can have them on all your parts if you want.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

It's also worth noting that KSP has a setting for the number of lights (that can illuminate) it can have in a scene - defaults to something about 8 I believe.  If there are more lights than that present, they just stay off and don't work.  There's no limit to number of emmissves. (Cosmetic lights.)  So you can have them on all your parts if you want.

I guess changing the number of lichts will just increase GPU usage, not CPU?

For now, I illuminate my bases by putting Sunflower lights on top of the Duna modules. I like their soft light. I wonder if it would be possible to make the Duna parts work like the Sunflower, but without actually glowing? I don't care about precise light cones and shadows from all 4 cosmetic lights on the modules, I just need to see something :D

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I guess changing the number of lichts will just increase GPU usage, not CPU?

For now, I illuminate my bases by putting Sunflower lights on top of the Duna modules. I like their soft light. I wonder if it would be possible to make the Duna parts work like the Sunflower, but without actually glowing? I don't care about precise light cones and shadows from all 4 cosmetic lights on the modules, I just need to see something :D

You might like this mod:

8 hours ago, DStaal said:

You might like this mod:

I already have that one installed ;)

It's just that I want to keep the part count low. I already have terribly low FPS (5-15) near my Minmus base... and it's definitely not my GPU, so I guess it's part count? Surface lights don't illuminate the area around the base modules very much, so I prefer the Sunflower lights.

6 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

I already have that one installed ;)

It's just that I want to keep the part count low. I already have terribly low FPS (5-15) near my Minmus base... and it's definitely not my GPU, so I guess it's part count? Surface lights don't illuminate the area around the base modules very much, so I prefer the Sunflower lights.

Part count and partmodule count...  MKS's logistics and advanced features do take a fair amount of compute time.  I don't think it's unreasonable amounts - just that it adds up.

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Part count and partmodule count...  MKS's logistics and advanced features do take a fair amount of compute time.  I don't think it's unreasonable amounts - just that it adds up.

I see. Sounds like an ideal candidate for parallelization, but oh well, what can you do... Got a Ryzen 5 with 6 cores/12 threads. Pretty much useless for KSP :/

Why can't I mine ExoticMinerals and RareMetals?

I have a vessel that should be able to mine everything that can be mined.  Wheel it out, everything else works fine, but for these two the drills simply don't start.  The one thing notably different about them is that everything else has it's own Kontainer, but when I set a Kontainer for ExoticMinerals it also gets capacity for RareMetals.

12 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Why can't I mine ExoticMinerals and RareMetals?

I have a vessel that should be able to mine everything that can be mined.  Wheel it out, everything else works fine, but for these two the drills simply don't start.  The one thing notably different about them is that everything else has it's own Kontainer, but when I set a Kontainer for ExoticMinerals it also gets capacity for RareMetals.

Just tested this (1.1 MKS/USI/KSP1.6.1) - I am able to mine both resources on the Mun - make sure where your trying actually have the resources present, or the drill will start and stop.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just about enabling previous versions. Weird. 

I also did a clean install to 1.6.1 today and for some reason lost the ability to install most but not all of your mods. It's really weird. Also having some issues with other mods, like B9, which should be compatible but is giving me an error message.

The KSP version is 1.6.1 (logged in once without any mods) and as you can see I can install some 1.6.9 (?) mods.

OQ6opdD.png

Edited by Morbanth

8 hours ago, RookFett said:

Just tested this (1.1 MKS/USI/KSP1.6.1) - I am able to mine both resources on the Mun - make sure where your trying actually have the resources present, or the drill will start and stop.

That turned out to be the problem.  I thought you couldn't get a 0% on normal (which is why I didn't think of it originally), but those two are 0% over most of the planet. 

Okay I have a problem that is driving me insane and I'm not sure if its some kind of mod conflict or I'm missing something.  Is there anything special other than having an equipped electric screwdriver and an engineer to link flexotubes together?  Literally the only option I get clicking on one is dissassemble part.

1 hour ago, tehllama said:

Okay I have a problem that is driving me insane and I'm not sure if its some kind of mod conflict or I'm missing something.  Is there anything special other than having an equipped electric screwdriver and an engineer to link flexotubes together?  Literally the only option I get clicking on one is dissassemble part.

FlexOTubes need KAS to work, not KIS.

Anyone else here that suffered from Duna recyclers turning off when leaving/entering ship physics emulation?

I stopped playing couple of months ago hoping I can solve this eventually to allow for my big expedition to go underway. Any hints at all would be welcome.
The problem is that recyclers that are turned on, automatically turn off when I come back to the ship. End result = kerbals without food/supplies.
I have more than enough power, and enough space for any recycling material etc.

17 hours ago, TackleMcClean said:

Anyone else here that suffered from Duna recyclers turning off when leaving/entering ship physics emulation?

I stopped playing couple of months ago hoping I can solve this eventually to allow for my big expedition to go underway. Any hints at all would be welcome.
The problem is that recyclers that are turned on, automatically turn off when I come back to the ship. End result = kerbals without food/supplies.
I have more than enough power, and enough space for any recycling material etc.

I don't know about recyclers, but I can't get the Duna Agriculture converter to stay on.  Agroponics and Cultivate(x) are fine Agriculture just keeps turning itself off.  (No organics for me, unless the Tundra version works better...)

I thought it might be something I was doing wrong, but could it be related to your issue?...

56 minutes ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I don't know about recyclers, but I can't get the Duna Agriculture converter to stay on.  Agroponics and Cultivate(x) are fine Agriculture just keeps turning itself off.  (No organics for me, unless the Tundra version works better...)

I thought it might be something I was doing wrong, but could it be related to your issue?...

Do you have enough input products and output storage to sustain the agriculture function for 6 hours? When you leave simulation and come back, it "fast forwards" from last point you were visiting it to the new timestamp, in 6 hour chunks at a time.

9 minutes ago, TackleMcClean said:

Do you have enough input products and output storage to sustain the agriculture function for 6 hours? When you leave simulation and come back, it "fast forwards" from last point you were visiting it to the new timestamp, in 6 hour chunks at a time.

I believe so, although water was a bit touch and go for a while, hence my suspicion that it was my fault. :)

Still, I thought the result of running out of resources was that conversion would stop and the 'load' would be reported as 'missing Water' or some such, with the converter switched on - this effect is just switching back to the base and the converter is just off, and needs to be manually restarted every time.  I thought that was what you were describing with recyclers...

4 minutes ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I believe so, although water was a bit touch and go for a while, hence my suspicion that it was my fault. :)

Still, I thought the result of running out of resources was that conversion would stop and the 'load' would be reported as 'missing Water' or some such, with the converter switched on - this effect is just switching back to the base and the converter is just off, and needs to be manually restarted every time.  I thought that was what you were describing with recyclers...

No idea if it's related, but yeah it sounds very similar.
It's just needlessly turned off without reason.