[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ok... fix is up for testing (this includes the prior pre-release stuff) - if Dropbox says it is still uploading, give it a minute or two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psurrvkcl0huvpw/MKS_PRE_2.zip?dl=0

Ok i've re-ran all the same tests i did previously and i'm unable to reproduce the breaking dancing habs, Excellent Job!

Now onto the new ground tethers. This is my largest base and as i previously mentioned one end jumps a good 20-30 foot in the air on physics load. KAS struts anchored to the ground do nothing, even with cheats they still instantly break on load. I've had to just learn to live with always having unbreakable joints & no crash damage turned on otherwise this thing is constantly damaging itself.

FW1MAII.jpg

With the new ground tethers, nothing happens on load . . . . It's amazing! My new favorite mechanic, please please make this a permanent feature. In regards to the EVA issues @voicey99 is having they aren't present at all in my game with the same patch. I also note that reverting back to old versions of USI tools also didn't fix any issues for them like it did for me, nor could i reproduce any issues with the particular hab module they used, only with the Ranger Hab. So I posit that his dancing base plus EVA issues might be unrelated.

Edit: I also see no performance hit at all with the ground tether.

Edited by dboi88

51 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Boogie Base normally chugs along at a 5fps slideshow anyway (odd considering it's not huge and my pc is certainly no potato).

Honestly, I've been noticing massive performance hits with USI bases too, but I'm pretty heavily modded so I wasn't sure if it was something else.   I've got a Minmus base with four disconnected components of 40-80 parts each, and it chugs at slideshow-like 7fps.

What makes me suspect that it's USI is that it's only happening when I'm within 150m.  Flying a new resupply craft in I get the temporary physics stall at 2.2km, but after that it's a solid 25fps until I get to within 150m of the base and then it drops into the slideshow range.  As soon as I get more than 150m away from any of the base components, framerate shoots back up.

I need a tutorial on the basics of using USI MKS. If anyone has a link to one, or is willing to make a video, please share it... I am trying to understand but it's driving me mad, nd I really want to play with this, as it adds a whole new gameplay and I see youtube videos with amazing bases constructions, but no good tutorials on at least the basics... I have read the wiki but it's not easy to understand without video.

1 minute ago, Agustin said:

I need a tutorial on the basics of using USI MKS. If anyone has a link to one, or is willing to make a video, please share it... I am trying to understand but it's driving me mad, nd I really want to play with this, as it adds a whole new gameplay and I see youtube videos with amazing bases constructions, but no good tutorials on at least the basics... I have read the wiki but it's not easy to understand without video.

I find the best way is to setup a sandbox game and just put everything out on the KSC.  I use hyperedit to simulate drills filling storage.  From there it's pretty easy to see how the parts function etc.

The EVA bug looks to have been a one-off, since I haven't encountered it since the first time immediately after the original tethering. As I've said before, the boogie bug might be an MKS issue considering the uncannily similar Ranger bug, but it might also be a vanilla problem since I have encountered it in a similar form in vanilla once before. Regardless of whether it is an MKS bug or not, the tethers' brute-force approach restrains this particular kraken very effectively.

@tsaven I hadn't even considered it before, but the lag does indeed hit like a brick wall at exactly 150m-the same range at which it loads MKS logistics, tanking my fps to single figures. The fact that my pc continues to chug like a steam train in timewarp discounts the possibility of physics calc overload, the only mem-intensive feature I can think of that keeps operating in t'warp is MKS logistics.

P.S. @dboi88 Cool base bro-pity something that big would turn my computer into slag with its sheer awesomeness

Edited by voicey99

31 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Just start small. And remember that MKS allows for a thriving base without having to have everything connected. Yes, a big, connected base may be pretty (dboi88's base above is a beauty), but can still have a functional base with the parts disconnected but close. My bases are basically split between power, hab, farming, and manufacturing. 

Oh, and storage/planet logistics warehouse. 

Edited by Parmenio

I sent a node processing rover up to Minmus and that worked much better than the node lugging rover on the Mun.  I processed the two large nodes I generated previously, and found the smaller node to be just small enough to cart over to the base for processing so that I don't need to keep it out of focus at night(I mounted a power coupler on the rover only to realize I had none on the base to supply it...).

Now I have a second one on the way to the Mun to clean up the large nodes I generated there, so hopefully the existing rover can then handle a second node at the same time once I can pop nodes again.

All in all I think it is a pretty neat way to allow you to deal with minor deficiencies with your base location while also giving you something active to do to help your bases.

In retrospect, I think I may have over-reacted to the original size of the nodes.  I do not know how much consideration has already gone into the size of the nodes, but thinking about it, I find the idea of nodes with different sizes appealing(be those more or less random sizes like asteroids, or a small number of specific sizes where you find out how big it is when you start to process it(aka klaw it)).  That way you can be surprised (pleasantly or not) while out prospecting a new node...('Yes-sir-e I found myself dealing with a node bigger than any I had ever seen! must have been over 500 tons and there was no way I was dragging it back to base with my rover, especially not with the sun getting ready to set, so then I ...')

I also find the idea of smaller nodes being more plentiful than larger nodes appealing ('I had been having a run of bad luck, nothing but puny little 5 ton rocks, needing half a dozen of them to fill up my tanks before going home, then with my tanks nearly full, I found big one, not one of those 25 ton ones, mind you but one of those honking big 125 ton ones, took me 3 days to process it down to a movable size and I had to go back and empty my tanks at least 4 times to do it!.  By the time it was all done, the base commander suggested I should take a day of R&R, so I ...')

Finally, I nearly jumped out of my seat when my first node neared empty and it did *that*.

14 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

k. So it isn't deleting my bases anymore but I can't build anything using Extraplanetary Launchpads. Not sure which USI mods I'm using. sry

If you're having issues with Extraplanetary Launchpads, I would suggest posting it in the Extraplanetary Launchpads thread. If you ARE running into a conflict with a USI mod, we will need to at least know which USI mods you are using...

16 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

k. So it isn't deleting my bases anymore but I can't build anything using Extraplanetary Launchpads. Not sure which USI mods I'm using. sry

Just now, Merkov said:

If you're having issues with Extraplanetary Launchpads, I would suggest posting it in the Extraplanetary Launchpads thread. If you ARE running into a conflict with a USI mod, we will need to at least know which USI mods you are using...

It also helps to know the nature of the issue.  "not being able to build" is pretty generic.  Do you not get the build window? (could be an issue with the EL DLL).  No productivity (usually user error). etc

1 minute ago, SP_S6 said:

Could someone remind me what the current recommended installation method is for EPL integration please?

install normally?  There isn't any special "installation method".  Keep in mind that currently MKS hides EL parts that there is an MKS equivalent for.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

install normally?  There isn't any special "installation method".  Keep in mind that currently MKS hides EL parts that there is an MKS equivalent for.

ok ty I seemed to remember the old thread saying something about deleting certain parts etc from EPL, must be having a brain fart.

Edited by SP_S6

4 minutes ago, SP_S6 said:

Could someone remind me what the current recommended installation method is for EPL integration please?

I'm not sure what you mean by "installation method" but if you have both MKS and EL installed, MKS will hide the EL parts and replace the EL resource chain with the MKS one (i.e., RocketParts get replaced with MaterialKits). This should be handled automatically by MM config files included in the MKS installation.

Edit: ninja'd!

Incidentally, for a while, RoverDude disabled the auto-hiding of EL parts when MKS was installed because people kept reporting their absence as a bug.

Edited by Merkov

2 minutes ago, SP_S6 said:

ok ty I seemed to remember the old thread saying something about deleting certain parts etc from EPL, must be having a brain fart.

You are generally welcome to remove all the EL parts except for the survey stake and mallet.  It is only really necessary if you want to lower the RAM footprint of the game.  But it was never an "installation requirement"

Edited by goldenpsp

5 minutes ago, Merkov said:

k. Lemme see... the file names in the UmbraSpaceIndustries folders are as follows - FTT, FX, Karbonite (confirmed benign), KarbonitePlus (confirmed benign), MKS, ReactorPack (confirmed benign), WarpDrive (likely benign), CHANGELOG (confirmed benign), USICore.version

11 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

k. Lemme see... the file names in the UmbraSpaceIndustries folders are as follows - FTT, FX, Karbonite (confirmed benign), KarbonitePlus (confirmed benign), MKS, ReactorPack (confirmed benign), WarpDrive (likely benign), CHANGELOG (confirmed benign), USICore.version

As I mentioned above (you may have missed it)  it also helps to know the nature of the issue.  "not being able to build" is pretty generic.  Do you not get the build window? (could be an issue with the EL DLL).  No productivity (usually user error). etc

Also anything else you feel might be relevant would help.  While it's tons of fun to play the "pull the information out game" its easier when the people actually asking for help can give as much detail as possible so we waste less time.

49 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

As I mentioned above (you may have missed it)  it also helps to know the nature of the issue.  "not being able to build" is pretty generic.  Do you not get the build window? (could be an issue with the EL DLL).  No productivity (usually user error). etc

Also anything else you feel might be relevant would help.  While it's tons of fun to play the "pull the information out game" its easier when the people actually asking for help can give as much detail as possible so we waste less time.

I get the build window and everything works except the timer says 0 seconds (might be because I'm building a very small craft), it won't begin construction, and it won't spawn the vessel (probably because of the issue before this one)

for the EL-thing .. i do not have any issues building things offworld, make sure the launchpad-part is physical connected to the containers where MaterialKits and SpecializedParts are stored. I can't say for survey stakes (probably must have the SurveyStation connected with them containers/storages).

Regards

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

I get the build window and everything works except the timer says 0 seconds (might be because I'm building a very small craft), it won't begin construction, and it won't spawn the vessel (probably because of the issue before this one)

A few points.

What is your productivity?

As @LatiMacciato stated above, you need to have your building materials physically attached.  EL doesn't make use of MKS wireless logistics.

maybe a screenshot of the craft, the build window, and your productivity stats might help.  

Hi all -

So, I have the basics of the 'warehouse' feature down...  I got an ore drill site up and running. [the main purpose if to just drill the ore and distro. it]

I also have an ore processing site that's only purpose is to pull the ore and convert it.  This is working!  [image link below]  http://imgur.com/1L9gDqZ

After I connected the craft with the inflatable, nothing was working, but after I swapped to another craft and then back, that seemed to do the trick.

Since all of my structures are connected, I haven't taken advantage of 'scavenging' yet.  Based on the image, the habitation that I am using is kind of a band-aid until I can get supplies setup and that is where my question lies.

If I look at this: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Resources

I need Gypsum and process it into fertilizer
I need Hydrates to process it into water

Then with fertilizer and water, I will be able to produce supplies?

Is that correct or am I looking at it incorrectly?

Again, I know this is most likely self explained, I just need to get the basics and then I think, I will be able to get it.

Bonus question, can I attach a flextube to a medium stock docking port and be able to benefit from shared resources?

edit: Oh, thank you for answering my repetitive questions, over and over. 

Edited by gamerscircle