[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I found the relevant Wiki page in about five seconds.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Crew-Skills-Impact-on-Parts

Sorry, I hadn't find. I was searching for "Professions" all the time. Thank you and sorry for disturbing.

Edit: Actually I wanted to say how wonderful that doc is.

Edited by SHiRKiT

[derp, oops-ignore prev post, didn't notice the page had turned over]

11 minutes ago, Sudragon said:

Is the 'Disassemble Part' action is from the MKS mod cluster?

(I'm having problems working out what else I need to have to collect the material kits.)

Yes, that is MKS. You need to have MaterialKits storage within 150m, though

Edited by voicey99

23 minutes ago, SHiRKiT said:

Does the Kontainer have that Logistics capability? Should say something like "range 150m".

For this function, it doesn't need logistics capability but the USI_ModuleRecycleBin module. Generally you'll only find that on USI kontainers, ISMs and Karibou storage parts.

(For some reason, the new round flat containers are missing this function.)

6 minutes ago, jd284 said:

For this function, it doesn't need logistics capability but the USI_ModuleRecycleBin module. Generally you'll only find that on USI kontainers, ISMs and Karibou storage parts.

(For some reason, the new round flat containers are missing this function.)

The cylindrical kontainers still collect materialkits made from disassembling parts in the vicinity though, even w/o the bin module.

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Ok what that tells me is a couple of the PDUs (Duna and Tundra) need some balancing for the amount of EU/DF they can hold.

FWIW, the Duna's EU/DF capacity is only 20% of the legacy MKS PDU (which I think was the Duna's predecessor).  I assume the change was intentional and not a mistake, but the original capacity seems like it might be better.

@Omnipius, the NFE patch for the Duna was only added about a month ago, so if you launched yours before then, you probably have the unpatched capacity.  I don't think resource capacity changes apply retroactively to existing vessels in flight.

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

instead of using ground construction can I use EPL? or am I able to use both? I don't want to have to give up EPL :(.

You can use both.  At some point in the future, integration between MKS and EL will be depreciated and removed - it hasn't happened yet.  Even when it does, you'll be able to use both, you just won't have the tight integration they have at the moment.

5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

You can use both.  At some point in the future, integration between MKS and EL will be depreciated and removed - it hasn't happened yet.  Even when it does, you'll be able to use both, you just won't have the tight integration they have at the moment.

ok. I am not sure what kind of integration they have already (haven't reached that far ahead yet) so it wont be a big impact on me.

Spoiler
22 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

since I seen more professions for Kerbals entered KSP via MKS i wondered if theres a way to "upgrade" a mechanic's knowledge and his/her training .. like teaching him/her to handle farming too ..or how to repair things.

side-note: IRL you can go to a university and study several directions of human knowledge, like learning to be a baker and additional learning confectioner .. or IT branch beeing a system admin or beeing a software developer. If you wish you can become both, so I wonder if it might be possible to "upgrade" or rather said re-train a Kerbal on the fly (preferibly in any Training academy).

Well .. it's just an idea but if that is limited to how KSP might treat changed professions while beeing in active duty = bad idea so it might be better to do so while Kerbals are returned to Kerbin. (retraining Kerbals is available through ShipManifest but currently it jerks up with the MKS professions, so savefile editing is the only option if you wish to do so)

I will try explaining more if needed, ty for your time reading my comment :)

I just re-read that and found I explained too complicated I guess.

in simple words:
Is it possible to add more professions to Kerbals so that lets say a farmer can be a mechanic too (has farmer and mechanic's skills then)?
I assume currently not but what you think of Kerbals having multiple professions? .. and if someone is becoming an engineer/scientist/pilot he's just that and has all benefit's of their profession.

was that easier explained?

17 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I just re-read that and found I explained too complicated I guess.

in simple words:
Is it possible to add more professions to Kerbals so that lets say a farmer can be a mechanic too (has farmer and mechanic's skills then)?
I assume currently not but what you think of Kerbals having multiple professions? .. and if someone is becoming an engineer/scientist/pilot he's just that and has all benefit's of their profession.

was that easier explained?

You probably can hack a save (or the code) to do that. But in my opinion, from a game interest/balance point of view, that would be overpowered and uninteresting. Unless the cost is very high. A case could be made that the current academy is a bit bland, but training is not the funniest part of space exploration :)

Edited by TauPhraim

1 minute ago, TauPhraim said:

You probably can hack a save (or the code) to do that. But in my opinion, from a game interest/balance point of view, that would be overpowered and uninteresting. Unless the cost is very high. A case could be made that the current academy is a bit bland, but training is not the funniest part of space exploration :)

well, it's just an idea to add-up some more realism too but ideas can be bad too. No worries I'm happy with it how it is currently, but if that's becoming a thing then i'm up for it aswell.

5 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

You could also make an MM patch to define new professions. Just use Kolonists.cfg as a template.

And I find the academy is not just bland, but entirely redundant, since the same function is also present in the 3.75m Colonization module. Granted, the Academy has ~40% less mass, but it also becomes useless very quickly. (Unlike before where it was also a very powerful lab.)

4 minutes ago, jd284 said:

You could also make an MM patch to define new professions. Just use Kolonists.cfg as a template.

And I find the academy is not just bland, but entirely redundant, since the same function is also present in the 3.75m Colonization module. Granted, the Academy has ~40% less mass, but it also becomes useless very quickly. (Unlike before where it was also a very powerful lab.)

I thought the Academy was the only part where you could give Kerbals XP for places they have not yet been(with a suitable teacher) and all the other parts just let you recognize XP for places they *have* been(assuming you do not have instant leveling turned on)

6 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I thought the Academy was the only part where you could give Kerbals XP for places they have not yet been(with a suitable teacher) and all the other parts just let you recognize XP for places they *have* been(assuming you do not have instant leveling turned on)

No, like I said the 3.75m Colonization module has that function too.

On 2/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, RoverDude said:

In the next patch, Machinery can participate in Planetary Logistics only (not local logistics as maintenance covers that).  This can happen because there are no machinery-using parts that are also warehouses.

Requests:

1. re-enable machinery across both local and planetary logistics.

Now that we have the independent on/off switches for both local and planetary, resource logistics management is very easy, and the problem with machinery disappearing from places it is needed can be avoided.  However, currently, if you want to fill a kontainer with machinery to ship up to your orbital station, you need to use a port/klaw/KAS pipe, since you can't completely fill a kontainer from PL.

2. change the default logistics settings on kontainers to off.

Prevents having resources and mass shift on physics load.