[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Nothing stays "out", not that the statement really makes any sense.  You just should never have nested gamedata folders, aka gamedata\gamedata

Ah ha. 

Inside the mod, there are multiple folders, IN THIS ORDER: 

• 000_AT_Utils
  • 000_USItools
  • CommunityCategoryKit
  • CommunityResourcePack
  • Firespitter
  • GroundConstruction
  • ModuleManager 2.8.0
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries

@Alshain, what you are telling me to do is take the last folder, UMBRA-SPACE-INDUSTRIES, and put it into my game data folder, correct?

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

6 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Ah ha. 

Inside the mod, there are multiple folders, IN THIS ORDER: 

• 000_AT_Utils
  • 000_USItools
  • CommunityCategoryKit
  • CommunityResourcePack
  • Firespitter
  • GroundConstruction
  • ModuleManager 2.8.0
  • UmbraSpaceIndustries

@Alshain, what you are telling me to do is take the last folder, UMBRA-SPACE-INDUSTRIES, and put it into my game data folder, correct?

That was an example.  Take ALL of them out and put them in GameData

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Roger. That's what I was asking. Thank you much. 

That's going to be for all mods btw.  Sometimes you have the GameData folder, sometimes you don't.  It depends on the modder (for example, mine don't).  In either case, put the contents of GameData in GameData or the contents of the zip in GameData which ever happens to be there.

Just now, Alshain said:

That's going to be for all mods btw.  Sometimes you have the GameData folder, sometimes you don't.  It depends on the modder (for example, mine don't).  In either case, put the contents of GameData in GameData or the contents of the zip in GameData which ever happens to be there.

I know, it usually works. 

Hi, how does the living module work exactly?

I have plenty of colony supplies and have enabled it, but it only freezes the hab timer for the Kerbals inside the vessel with the Living Module.

Is it meant to be this way? Does that mean I need to have a Pioneer module on every single vessel on the base to extend habitation indefinitely?

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Hi, how does the living module work exactly?

I have plenty of colony supplies and have enabled it, but it only freezes the hab timer for the Kerbals inside the vessel with the Living Module.

Is it meant to be this way? Does that mean I need to have a Pioneer module on every single vessel on the base to extend habitation indefinitely?

I think kolonization modules are more efficient as far as colony supplies used per kerbal(if you have enough kerbals to use its full capacity).

10 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I think kolonization modules are more efficient as far as colony supplies used per kerbal(if you have enough kerbals to use its full capacity).

Sorry, what do you mean by "kolonization module"? Do you mean the part with the name "MKS 'Duna' Colonization Module"? Because that is the part that I am talking about. It has a converter of type "ModuleLifeSupportExtender" and that is called "living module". If I understood correctly, this one is supposed to freeze the Habitation timer forever (as long as ColonySupplies are available).

I was under the impression that this works for the whole base, but now I find that it only works for the kerbals inside the vessel with the "MKS 'Duna' Colonization Module".

Which "kolonization module" are you talking about?

Honestly, for a ground-based base I think just adding more hab time is likely more efficient.  If the hab timer is high enough it stops anyway.  I mostly see the life support extension being good for colony transport ships, where you'd need it between worlds.  (And then you won't have multiple ships within 'base' range.)

40 minutes ago, Merkov said:

If I remember right, the various colonization modules' descriptions tell you how many Kerbals the life support extender supports. The Duna one is really limited, but the Tundra series can support more Kerbals. 

The effect will just scale (up or down) if the number of kerbals on board is not the exact "supported" number.

But they act on the Kerbals in their vessel only, indeed.

2 hours ago, Kobymaru said:

Sorry, what do you mean by "kolonization module"? Do you mean the part with the name "MKS 'Duna' Colonization Module"? Because that is the part that I am talking about. It has a converter of type "ModuleLifeSupportExtender" and that is called "living module". If I understood correctly, this one is supposed to freeze the Habitation timer forever (as long as ColonySupplies are available).

I was under the impression that this works for the whole base, but now I find that it only works for the kerbals inside the vessel with the "MKS 'Duna' Colonization Module".

Which "kolonization module" are you talking about?

Sorry, you said Pioneer module previously.

I was referring to the Duna, Tundra(2.5) and Tundra(3.75) Kolonization modules.  I think he larger ones require less Colony Supplies per kerbal that they service.

The main reasons for having a kolonization module would be if you are space restrained(can't fit/carry enough hab-space/multipliers to get to 50yrs) or you want kerbal reproduction(a bonus feature of hab modules that you can turn on) 

2 hours ago, Merkov said:

If I remember right, the various colonization modules' descriptions tell you how many Kerbals the life support extender supports. The Duna one is really limited, but the Tundra series can support more Kerbals. 

I just checked, and the description does not tell you that. It only tells you that more Electricity and KolonySupplies are required. However, I have found the relevant Wiki section, so thanks for the hint:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Med-Bay-and-Colony-Supplies)#colonization-modules

According to that, the duna module only provides space for one, and the Tundra modules provide space for 2/12 Kerbals.

Now what I still don't quite understand is this section:

Colonization Modules are designed for longer term settlements. The advanced Colonization Module provides ample room and amenities for long term habitation. The Colonist Module consumes ColonySupplies, and in return, increases both the Hab and Home timers for your Kerbals. Once your Hab timers reach the same level as the highest Habitat they've been in, the Colonization Module will freeze the Hab Timers at their maximum amount.

So basically, the living module makes the timers go in *reverse* except when hab == home, then it stays frozen, did I interpret that correctly? 

Also, I can't verify those numbers from the config file, which says for example for the 3.75 Colonization module:

MODULE 
{
    name = ModuleLifeSupportExtender
    ConverterName = Living Module
    StartActionName = Start Living Module
    StopActionName = Stop Living Module
    Efficiency = 1			

PartOnly = false
    restrictedClass = 
    TimeMultiplier = 6

}

So I'm not entirely sure where the "12 kerbals" info comes from.

I guess my first mistake was that I was using a module that's too small. But what I am still wondering (and hasn't been answered as far as I can tell): does this Living Module extend to Kerbals in nearby vessels, or does it only work for the vessel where the Colonization module is attached? Because that would be rather inconvenient.

52 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Sorry, you said Pioneer module previously.

Ah, my mistake, sorry.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Honestly, for a ground-based base I think just adding more hab time is likely more efficient.

That's not quite the point, though. Since I have more ColonySupplies that I could ever spend, I am just testing all of the functionalities that MKS provides and the living module is one of them :wink:

52 minutes ago, Terwin said:

The main reasons for having a kolonization module would be if you are space restrained(can't fit/carry enough hab-space/multipliers to get to 50yrs) or you want kerbal reproduction(a bonus feature of hab modules that you can turn on) 

And another reason is to enable truly permanent settlement.

Bug Report: MKS Ranger hab module will not deploy - even though I have ample EC and MKs available. 

It says that I need 8000 mks and 500 EC - even though I have near double the MKS available to me on my ship, and 10k EC. I don't understand why it says this but it does. Saving and reloading doesn't work. 

While it's possible it's a conflict with another mod - I sort of doubt it. I have deployed an identical configuration just last night. The hab is attached to the scout landing platform radially - no clue why it's not pulling resources from the rest of the craft. They are all attached nothing should be amiss. 

Edit: Figured out the problem, I suppose. Local warehouse wasn't checked, which is odd that it threw back that problem, because the ship was all connected up anyhow. 

Edited by Virulent

I'm seeing a few tweakable options I don't know what they do.  One is "Perform Maintenance", which simply throws a message up saying you performed maintenance.  The other is "Enable Weight Transfer".  I think these are from MKS but I do have a lot of mods.  Can anyone elaborate on these?

Edited by Alshain

I've also run into another problem.  I built some fertilizer and LFO manufacturing, but Planetary Logistics doesn't seem to be working for me.  I've done everything I thought I was supposed to but the refinery say's I'm missing Ore and Gypsum.

q1ujsI6.png

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I've also run into another problem.  I built some fertilizer and LFO manufacturing, but Planetary Logistics doesn't seem to be working for me.  I've done everything I thought I was supposed to but the refinery say's I'm missing Ore and Gypsum.

q1ujsI6.png

Looking at the resources pop-out it doesn't look like the base has any local storage space for either. How can it pull from PL if there's nowhere to put it until it's used?

4 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

Looking at the resources pop-out it doesn't look like the base has any local storage space for either. How can it pull from PL if there's nowhere to put it until it's used?

Thanks, I got it running now.  I forgot I had not attached the new storage.  But regarding LFO, I have plenty of storage for that around within 150m.  Shouldn't it be able to use that?  For Ore, I have a Karibou with an Ore tank sitting nearby (with a pilot) and the ore drill is 1.7km away.

Edited by Alshain

31 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Thanks, I got it running now.  I forgot I had not attached the new storage.  But regarding LFO, I have plenty of storage for that around within 150m.  Shouldn't it be able to use that?  For Ore, I have a Karibou with an Ore tank sitting nearby (with a pilot) and the ore drill is 1.7km away.

As I understand it, the logistics model works on a sort of batched process. Grab some input resources into local storage, process them and store outputs into local storage, next batch push excess outputs to planetary logistics if connected.

While the base is focused these batches can be quite small so only a little storage is needed but if you leave the base unfocused to go do something else for a while then catch-up comes into play. When you return to a base a cycle of 6 hour batches is run to catch up on work that would have been done while it was unfocused. So for best results you probably want a bit more than 6 hours worth of directly attached storage for each input and output resource.

Just now, Aelfhe1m said:

As I understand it, the logistics model works on a sort of batched process. Grab some input resources into local storage, process them and store outputs into local storage, next batch push excess outputs to planetary logistics if connected.

While the base is focused these batches can be quite small so only a little storage is needed but if you leave the base unfocused to go do something else for a while then catch-up comes into play. When you return to a base a cycle of 6 hour batches is run to catch up on work that would have been done while it was unfocused. So for best results you probably want a bit more than 6 hours worth of directly attached storage for each input and output resource.

I see, well it turns out I forgot cooling for that thing anyway, so I have to send up a supply crate.  I'll just pack an extra storage module.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

I see, well it turns out I forgot cooling for that thing anyway, so I have to send up a supply crate.  I'll just pack an extra storage module.

Take 12h of storage if you're using PL as kontainers only empty down to half full when pushing.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

I'm seeing a few tweakable options I don't know what they do.  One is "Perform Maintenance", which simply throws a message up saying you performed maintenance. 

Draws machinery from the nearest machinery container that has local logistics enabled. If there is none, does nothing.

7 hours ago, Alshain said:

The other is "Enable Weight Transfer".  I think these are from MKS but I do have a lot of mods.  Can anyone elaborate on these?

Takes the masses of all attached parts and adds them to this part. This is needed if you have a highly asymmetric craft and don't want to deal with the balancing. Make sure to disable it when you change your craft (Docking, staging, crashing, KAS) or expect a Kraken-visit.

1 hour ago, Kobymaru said:

Takes the masses of all attached parts and adds them to this part. This is needed if you have a highly asymmetric craft and don't want to deal with the balancing. Make sure to disable it when you change your craft (Docking, staging, crashing, KAS) or expect a Kraken-visit.

Are you saying it makes the whole thing physicsless? Does it do aero forces as well, or just mass?