[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

8 minutes ago, Mine_Turtle said:

Support for EL, a mature mod, that adds capabilities to build crafts in space(and was working perfectly with MKS), has been dropped in favor of a new mod, GC, that does not have ability to build crafts via an orbital shipyard(and it may or may not be added), because EL parts did not look good enough when connected to MKS parts.

No.  EL was dropped because as noted, the EL chain is simply not realistic, and replacing with an MKS resource chain caused too many support issues.  Got tired of waiting (literally) years to see what the EL 'detailed' mode was going to be, even offered up to redo the entire MKS chain to whatever Taniwha wanted... never happened.  So I found a more cooperative and collaborative modder to work with, problem solved.

As noted - NOTHING stops you from using EL.  EL parts work, the EL resource chain works.  But I see no point in expending my efforts on integration work on a mod for whom integration ends up causing support issues, when I can expend that same effort working with someone genuinely interested in collaborating.

Use EL, rock on, all of its bits work.  But the officially supported construction mod for MKS is and will always be Ground Construction, since there's pretty much zero impedence mismatch there.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Well other than losing a couple of parts (of which you can use EL parts as a substitute) nothing really has changed.  You still have the config that works, which is the most important part.  I can fully understand @RoverDude not wanting to continue maintaining the parts.

Bingo.

I left bits there, but will in no way be expanding or updating EL support.  EL works out of the box as is.  If folks want to do PR's for a compatibility patch, rock on.  But as noted, it is not something I would focus on, nor do I have any intention of maintaining the old parts (to be honest, the models should have been dropped a while ago and likely will be dropped eventually).

I'm running up against an issue that was mentioned back in August, but never resolved so far as I could find, so hopefully there's new info now. I've had a rover parked next to my base for quite some time now, automatically sharing habitation with the base. Now, however, when I drive that rover out of habitation-sharing range, the hab timers for the kerbals inside the rover immediately drops to zero and they go homesick. Is this just an unfortunate side-effect to balance an awesome feature, or am I overlooking some way to update their habitation to be dependent on the rover, rather than the base?

Edited by billybob579

9 hours ago, billybob579 said:

I'm running up against an issue that was mentioned back in August, but never resolved so far as I could find, so hopefully there's new info now. I've had a rover parked next to my base for quite some time now, automatically sharing habitation with the base. Now, however, when I drive that rover out of habitation-sharing range, the hab timers for the kerbals inside the rover immediately drops to zero and they go homesick. Is this just an unfortunate side-effect to balance an awesome feature, or am I overlooking some way to update their habitation to be dependent on the rover, rather than the base?

Have you tried sending them EVA, or transferring them to the base for a bit before going back out in the rover? I think habitation is based off the absolute time you entered the current vessel, or the time since you were in another vessel, rather than actually counting down a remaining time. Decreasing the available hab time doesn't change when you entered the vessel, so you could suddenly go under. The problem is that their hab time already was dependent on the rover, and it didn't reset the entry time when you lost all the habitation bonus from the base.

6 hours ago, Redmanjbj said:

I just noticed that the MKS parts no longer show up in the filter by function/simple mode parts list.  Is that a known issue ?

It is not an issue but a invented function to supress the most parts to be showed up for more as one time. It is the bundled mode CCT that provide this ability. All mod autors who collaborate with CCT have their own part registers.

6 hours ago, Urses said:

It is not an issue but a invented function to supress the most parts to be showed up for more as one time. It is the bundled mode CCT that provide this ability. All mod autors who collaborate with CCT have their own part registers.

Ok, I''ll read up on that mod and see if I can figure this out... but it's weird though because I've never had an issue finding parts before 1.3.1.   There was a base category that listed all these part but the category is just completely gone now.  I've tried  searching for the parts using keywords like "USI" or 'Duna" but still get no results.  The only way I'm able to find any of these is to filter by module and then click through all the different modules until I see the MKS part I need.   

1 hour ago, Redmanjbj said:

Ok, I''ll read up on that mod and see if I can figure this out... but it's weird though because I've never had an issue finding parts before 1.3.1.   There was a base category that listed all these part but the category is just completely gone now.  I've tried  searching for the parts using keywords like "USI" or 'Duna" but still get no results.  The only way I'm able to find any of these is to filter by module and then click through all the different modules until I see the MKS part I need.   

MKS adds its own main tabs for part categorisation, rendering function tabs moot. Manufacturing is for processing parts, Rovers is for rover parts, Logistics is for containers, Construction is for construction parts and Kolonisation is for habitation and miscellaneous parts. They never did have their own filter by function tab, presumably because they didn't need it as they are all grouped in their own tabs anyway.

1 hour ago, Redmanjbj said:

Update USI tools to 0.10.1.0. Had the same problem with USI core, solved it for me.

I've been away from KSP and USI for about 8 months, and I'm only just getting back into it.

A while ago, RoverDude had mentioned that he had a balance guide that he was planning on making available for other modders to help keep their stuff reasonably balanced with this mod, as well as USI-LS.  Does anyone know if he ever published that, or made it available on a case-by-case basis?

2 hours ago, tsaven said:

I've been away from KSP and USI for about 8 months, and I'm only just getting back into it.

A while ago, RoverDude had mentioned that he had a balance guide that he was planning on making available for other modders to help keep their stuff reasonably balanced with this mod, as well as USI-LS.  Does anyone know if he ever published that, or made it available on a case-by-case basis?

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oqO3xbswk

The video explains it, and there's a link in the description to the Google Spreadsheet.

The above link is hidden in the wiki as well.

44 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0oqO3xbswk

The video explains it, and there's a link in the description to the Google Spreadsheet.

The above link is hidden in the wiki as well.

Thanks man, glad to see you're still active around here.

I'll have to dig back into the threads to see how the KPBS/MKS/USI-LS compatibility project turned out.

47 minutes ago, Mukita12 said:

But i have question How do i use this with TAC LS?

As a general rule, you don't.  Use it with USI-LS.

(I prefer TAC-LS as well, but the seamless integration of MKS and USI-LS makes such a compelling package that I switched over)

Edited by tsaven

8 minutes ago, Mukita12 said:

Ayyyiiyyyy whyyj WHY?

In many years past RD did build his mods for TAC-LS, but eventually decided he could do a better life support mod himself.  And as a general rule I think he's right.  While I prefer the separate resources of TAC-LS, USI-LS having the Habitation and Homesickness mechanics makes it an all together more fun and challenging mod.  And because RD has complete control over all of his mods, they integrate with each other fantastically and are incredibly well balanced.

If you want to use TAC-LS with MKS, no one is stopping you from writing a bunch of ModuleManager configs to integrate it.  RD is very good about taking pull requests through GitHub.

Just now, tsaven said:

In many years past RD did build his mods for TAC-LS, but eventually decided he could do a better life support mod himself.  And as a general rule I think he's right.  While I prefer the separate resources of TAC-LS, USI-LS having the Habitation and Homesickness mechanics makes it an all together more fun and challenging mod.  And because RD has complete control over all of his mods, they integrate with each other fantastically and are incredibly well balanced.

If you want to use TAC-LS with MKS, no one is stopping you from writing a bunch of ModuleManager configs to integrate it.  RD is very good about taking pull requests through GitHub.

ok then i guess i have too INSTALL MORE LS MOD!!!

1 minute ago, tsaven said:

If you want to use TAC-LS with MKS, no one is stopping you from writing a bunch of ModuleManager configs to integrate it.

MKS already comes with a TAC-LS patch.  I believe it's maintained by community input, not by RD directly, so it might be a little outdated or not quite as well integrated as USI-LS, but it's worth a try.

Just now, Wyzard said:

MKS already comes with a TAC-LS patch.  I believe it's maintained by community input, not by RD directly, so it might be a little outdated or not quite as well integrated as USI-LS, but it's worth a try.

i guess you right lets try

The biggie is that with TAC-LS, all of the habitation parts are just aesthetic.  And yep, the patch is community maintained.

One of the main drivers in USI-LS is that life support was/is a core dependency, and there were a few KSP versions where a lack of TAC-LS updates tied my hands on my own releases, so it made sense to do my own, and also extend it in new ways (habitation, etc.)

On 21.10.2017 at 1:49 PM, Mozenrat said:
https://imgur.com/a/phRK0

please help get this working.

water is simply always "missing".

I tried restarting agriculture multiple times, tried reloading whole vessel, relinking modules with kas, every other resource works fine, but not water

Try to add a small (very tiny should be enough) water tank to your ranger agricultural module. If I remember correctly, I had a similar issue some time ago. As you're already using KAS that should be easy to do.

4 minutes ago, SchrottBot said:

Try to add a small (very tiny should be enough) water tank to your ranger agricultural module. If I remember correctly, I had a similar issue some time ago. As you're already using KAS that should be easy to do.

It's a known bug that's been around for some time that KAS tubes seem to have issues with water. I assume Local or Planetary logistics will even the containers out.