[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

On 5/3/2018 at 4:09 PM, ctbram said:

Roverdude.   The mks models are great but making them work as a station is maddening!!!!  I started out with the objective to have a 10 man ring and an inflatable hab and a science lab plus supporting modules.  I now have nearly every module I can stick on the thing to the point where if I try to add anything else the station shakes itself apart.  Yet I still cannot get the inflatable hab to change from aggroponic to habitat and the ring I cannot even expand because I apparently need 32002 material kits and 2870 ec!!!!  I carried 16000 material kits up to the station and the next time I went up to the station all the material kits were gone? 

I can't figure out how the hell anyone is supposed to be able to make a station it is nearly impossible to get all the material kits up there and then when I do they all just mysteriously disappear!!!

Is there a frigging manual or examples or a Doctoral program at MIT for learning how to use this damn mod?

It is a pretty steep learning curve, but there is a wiki:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki

In in order to change functionality of a mks module once launched, you need an engineer on EVA, or you can set it to habitation before launch in the VAB. Also in the VAB, the USI animation cost in a part's details shows how many material kits, etc. it will need to inflate. I think you can launch it already inflated if you like. 

Edited by Phil Noir
Grammar

7 hours ago, ctbram said:

Roverdude.   The mks models are great but making them work as a station is maddening!!!!  I started out with the objective to have a 10 man ring and an inflatable hab and a science lab plus supporting modules.  I now have nearly every module I can stick on the thing to the point where if I try to add anything else the station shakes itself apart.  Yet I still cannot get the inflatable hab to change from aggroponic to habitat and the ring I cannot even expand because I apparently need 32002 material kits and 2870 ec!!!!  I carried 16000 material kits up to the station and the next time I went up to the station all the material kits were gone? 

I can't figure out how the hell anyone is supposed to be able to make a station it is nearly impossible to get all the material kits up there and then when I do they all just mysteriously disappear!!!

Is there a frigging manual or examples or a Doctoral program at MIT for learning how to use this damn mod?

RoverDude added piecemeal inflation, so if you attempted to inflate and only had part of what you needed, it will consume what is available, and reduce the total needed by that amount.  This works great with Planetary logistics and can also help when you just do not have a large enough MK storage container for the full inflation cost.

Try checking what is still needed, it should be less than the original total.

20 hours ago, Phil Noir said:

It is a pretty steep learning curve, but there is a wiki:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki

In in order to change functionality of a mks module once launched, you need an engineer on EVA, or you can set it to habitation before launch in the VAB. Also in the VAB, the USI animation cost in a parts details shows how many material kits, etc. it will need to inflate. I think you can launch it already inflated if you like. 

I can inflate the inflatable habitat with an engineer on eva but I still cannot change from aggroponics to habitat and I cannot even inflate the ring or change it to habitat mode!!  I started with the goal to just get 18 kerbals on orbit.  I kept bringing more and more stuff up trying to get the damn ring to inflate and both to change from agrro to habitat and now I  have a capacity of 45 kerbals AND I STILL do not have either the inflatable habitat or the ring in habitat mode!!!  ARGH!  It is really frustrating as hell.  

@roverdude - True there is a wiki but it does not cover ORBITAL stations and information is incorrect/obsolete forinstance the wiki tolks about 2400 material kits to turn the ring inflate on and make it a habitat but when I go on EVA it says I need 33002 material kits plus something is eating all my material kits!!!!  I brought up a cartgo container with 160000 and when I came down did some things and went back up they were all GONE!

Edited by ctbram

44 minutes ago, ctbram said:

I can inflate the inflatable habitat with an engineer on eva but I still cannot change from aggroponics to habitat and I cannot even inflate the ring or change it to habitat mode!!  I started with the goal to just get 18 kerbals on orbit.  I kept bringing more and more stuff up trying to get the damn ring to inflate and both to change from agrro to habitat and now I  have a capacity of 45 kerbals AND I STILL do not have either the inflatable habitat or the ring in habitat mode!!!  ARGH!  It is really frustrating as hell.  

@roverdude - True there is a wiki but it does not cover ORBITAL stations and information is incorrect/obsolete forinstance the wiki tolks about 2400 material kits to turn the ring inflate on and make it a habitat but when I go on EVA it says I need 33002 material kits plus something is eating all my material kits!!!!  I brought up a cartgo container with 160000 and when I came down did some things and went back up they were all GONE!

Just an FYI  the WIKI is a community effort not Roverdude's

11 hours ago, ctbram said:

Do you have USI-LS installed?

Habitation is a Life Support function, so without USI-LS you will not be able to access any of the life support modes of multi-mode parts.

12 hours ago, ctbram said:

Wikis are helpful reference, but research, experimentation and critical thinking go a long way.

There are several things in play here. First, there are two different mechanics referenced here: The MK needed to inflate something, and the MKs needed to change things. The Hab ring needs a whopping 46000 MK just to inflate. If you need to change a converter to another setting, some parts require you consume things like MK and/or SP and/or EC.

The errors, on occasion, can be misleading. They do not always correctly identify the thing you need. If you have the 33002 MK and get the error, it might also be that you were short some SP or EC. You will have to look on your own to see why and where you are short.

With respect to the disappearing MK, make sure you turn off local and planetary logistics on the cargo tanks, as you really dont need that functionality on an orbital vessel. Maybe even lock the containers until you arrive. This way, you can try to prevent things taking them and you turn off all of the sharing ability. Once they arrive safely, unlock them and carefully try doing what you need. Have you checked the Planetary logistics window to see whether they are there?

@Roverdude, is there anything else I should add to my report in this message?

If you like, I could upload the save file somewhere as well.

I have tried reinstalling all plugins and eliminating non-usi ones as well, and everything is the most recent version in CKAN.

I also verified that kolonytools.dll matches the version the mks github repo.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Where did you install it from?  Confirm versions please (KSP, MKS, USI-Tools for starters).  Also screenshot of GameData folder.

All mods are installed through ckan, and only ckan atm.

The quoted section in my previous post has a txt report of the gamedata file, rather than a screenshot. Is there some other data that a screenshot would show that is not in that?

CKAN reports these versions:

MKS: 0.55.0.0

USI Life Support: 0.9.0.0

USI Tools: 0.12.0.0

USI Core: 0.7.0.0

USI ART:  0.13.0.0

USI Exploration Pack: 0.11.0.0

Full list of installed modules and versions in spoiler:

Spoiler

- AlcubierreStandalone 0.10.0.0
- AT-Utils v1.5.1
- B9-PWings-Fork 1:v0.50
- ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.6.2
- CommunityCategoryKit 3.0.0.0
- CommunityResourcePack 0.10.0.0
- CommunityTechTree 1:3.3.2
- ConfigurableContainers-Core 2.4.2
- EasyVesselSwitch 1.6
- FirespitterCore v7.9.0
- GroundConstruction-Core 1.2.1.1
- Karbonite 1:0.12.0.0
- KAS 0.6.4.0
- KIS 1.10
- Konstruction 0.5.0.0
- KSPSteamCtrlr autodetected dll
- MalemuteRover 0.6.0.0
- MechJeb2-dev 2.7.2.0-800
- ModuleManager 3.0.6
- SoundingRockets 0.9.0.0
- StageRecovery 1.8.0
- Steamworks autodetected dll
- Toolbar 1.7.17.11
- ToolbarController 1:0.1.6.5
- UKS 1:0.55.0.0
- USI-ART 1:0.13.0.0
- USI-Core 0.7.0.0
- USI-EXP 0.11.0.0
- USI-FTT 0.10.0.0
- USI-LS 0.9.0.0
- USI-NuclearRockets 0.7.0.0
- USITools 0.12.0.0

Link to previous post with more information here, if you need anything further please let me know.

Edited by draculthemad
answer question about install source.

16 hours ago, draculthemad said:

All mods are installed through ckan, and only ckan atm.

There have been times where problems were fixed when the USI mods were installed manually instead of through CKAN, so that is something you could try.

2 minutes ago, Terwin said:

There have been times where problems were fixed when the USI mods were installed manually instead of through CKAN, so that is something you could try.

Thanks for the thought, but the error in the logs is coming from inside the kolonytools.dll, and the version on git for that is currently the same as the ckan version unless I am mistaken.

I didn't fetch the dll and check its metadata, but its same file size and age, anyways.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

@draculthemad - I'd suggest grabbing MKS from Github, installing manually, and seeing if that sorts it.

I removed the previously installed version and installed the files at https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS and the issue remains.

I note that uses and older module manager version and made sure to flush the cache for that as well.

I think this might be a weird issue with a recent kerbal update and the mod, as it worked briefly and then started having this issue, I think when 1.4.3 went live.

5 hours ago, draculthemad said:

I removed the previously installed version and installed the files at https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS and the issue remains.

I note that uses and older module manager version and made sure to flush the cache for that as well.

I think this might be a weird issue with a recent kerbal update and the mod, as it worked briefly and then started having this issue, I think when 1.4.3 went live.

Well the magic question is whether anyone else is having the issue

Is there any chance for a change of the "DumpExcess = true" to "DumpExcess = false" in the logistics centers?
I'm asking because since TC is "hard" to get or keep and basically non-transferable and I think it should not be thrown away that easily.

relevant files I noticed: Duna_LogCenter.cfg#L189 Tundra_PioneerLC.cfg#L229

Thanks!

Edited by LatiMacciato

54 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

Is there any chance for a change of the "DumpExcess = true" to "DumpExcess = false" in the logistics centers?
I'm asking because since TC is "hard" to get or keep and basically non-transferable and I think it should not be thrown away that easily.

relevant files I noticed: Duna_LogCenter.cfg#L189 Tundra_PioneerLC.cfg#L229

Thanks!

sure, send in a PR and I'll add it in.

15 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Well the magic question is whether anyone else is having the issue

My apologies, I should have done it sooner: but I tested by making a new game and its working fine there.

So this is some kind of bug specific to the save, and I certainly don't expect you to go so far as save-surgery.

If you want a copy of the save out of morbid curiosity or something, let me know.

Going forward, I will likely just start a new game/save. There is nothing in the current one I am super-attached to that I can't just cheat back in.

Just now, draculthemad said:

My apologies, I should have done it sooner: but I tested by making a new game and its working fine there.

So this is some kind of bug specific to the save, and I certainly don't expect you to go so far as save-surgery.

If you want a copy of the save out of morbid curiosity or something, let me know.

Going forward, I will likely just start a new game/save. There is nothing in the current one I am super-attached to that I can't just cheat back in.

huh, still very odd though.  We'll see if we get any repeats

On 5/3/2018 at 11:31 PM, RoverDude said:

FYI...  if you ask for help calmly, you are more likely to get support.  I generally ignore rants.

I was not ranting.  I get responses to my question of there being no examples of putting an inflatable ring or habitat in orbit and putting them in habitat mode and that it is very frustrating to figure it out by trial and error with no real current up to date documentation that specifically spells it out.

And then I get responses like this:

"It is a pretty steep learning curve, but there is a wiki:"

Well the wiki is not correct or up date.  A simple example of what components are needed to get a inflatable habitat and ring into orbit and operational would be far easier then telling me to figure it out by trial and error and getting really frustrated in the process don't you think?

But it is not critical at this point as I have accomplished my goal of getting a station that supports 18 kerbals even with an unusable habitat and ring.  It would have just been much more elegant to have been able to make the mks units work but I don't have the time or inclination to backward engineer everything through trial and error.

Edited by ctbram
update